Fender Bender
2670 posts

Re: I'm not paying $120 for you to fix my system

Dec 13, 2012

Cirkustanz wrote:

But hey, I've bought 3 PS3's brand new from a store...sold my original 60G when they were still valuable, bought a 40Gig some time later, it recently crapped out on me so I just bought a slim...

I kinda wish I would have just paid some guy to fix my 40gig model, I do miss having the hardware off switch in the back, the slim doesn't, you have to unplug it or turn off the switch on your power strip.  I point this both for periods of long term non-use and for those random crashes where holding the power button won't power off the system, which happens about once every 2 or 3 days on my slim.

I hate to say it but you better send your slim in while it's still under warranty lol..... mine doesn't do that....

Message 31 of 43 (85 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1368 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Yeah right...it's done it since day one.   I was so tempted to hop back to the Target where I bought it from to exchange it but honestly I had such an annoyance dealing with the guy in the electronics department who didn't seem to want to take no for an answer on buying Target's little repair plan that I've sworn off ever going back in there...

Sigh.  Remember the good old days when the worst problem a game console would really have is the ever increasing fear that your NES power button would stop working?

cirkustanz
Metroidvania is my favorite style of game...Would love a sequel to Harmony of Despair!
Message 32 of 43 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Cirkustanz wrote:

Modern consoles will fail.  I hear you, I mean, somewhere out there, is an Intellivision and an Atari 2600 that I had when I was 6 years old, and assuming it's all in one pieces, you can bet that it still works.

Modern consoles have these things called moving parts, and other parts that can't work if they move!  Other parts that even rely on how well connected they are to other parts on the molecular level!  

All built in an assembly line, most probably by underpaid workers....

I won't disagree that $120 is a lot for Sony to repair the system, but I'd be willing to bet a large portion of that cost is also to "warranty" that repair they do.  Even if you can't be bothered to learn how to repair your own PS3, in just about any city a person can find some craiglister who will do it for anywhere from $40 to $75 bucks.  (In my city there's at least 3-4 guys who do this as their sole source of income for somewhere around $50, takes them about 30 minutes, and you can be sure they are much better at it than a Sony employee ever could be...Sony isn't giving you NEW parts, they are giving you REFURBISHED parts, so this all comes down to just the labor.

If you think about it, you're often times really much better off using one of the local service guys.  Most of the time your data is still intact, meaning you don't lose any game saves, etc...and you KNOW exactly how well that PS3 has, or has not been taken care of since it's the same one you bought.

But hey, I've bought 3 PS3's brand new from a store...sold my original 60G when they were still valuable, bought a 40Gig some time later, it recently crapped out on me so I just bought a slim...

I kinda wish I would have just paid some guy to fix my 40gig model, I do miss having the hardware off switch in the back, the slim doesn't, you have to unplug it or turn off the switch on your power strip.  I point this both for periods of long term non-use and for those random crashes where holding the power button won't power off the system, which happens about once every 2 or 3 days on my slim.

**bleep** dude, 3 PS3's?I remember going through 2 360's, lol my friend went through 5 360's.Microsoft litterally sent him a replacement 

and they would end up red ringing within 3 months.

Message 33 of 43 (75 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1368 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Nah, I've *BOUGHT* three PS3's, I've only had one fail.  I mean, it's very likely that my 60gig has stopped working by now, it was a launch system, but I sold it a  year later so I have no idea.  The second PS3 I bought YLOD'd about 4 months ago.  The third PS3 purchase is the slim I'm talking about...

I don't believe my slim has any problems, it's really random...truth be told lately I use it more for movies than anything else, but it has crashed a few times when playing games, usually it's specific games.  It never crashed, not even once on some games, and other games it would crash once a day or every other day.  (assuming I was playing for a significant amount of time)

Some games are just buggy, just how it is.

Right now for instance, it's been running for 8 hours, I started a youtube video when I got home from work and since I left it running it's been running through my youtube subscription list ever since.   Heh

cirkustanz
Metroidvania is my favorite style of game...Would love a sequel to Harmony of Despair!
Message 34 of 43 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2670 posts

Dec 13, 2012

when you say crash.... the game (or the entire system cause you can't even access the XMB menu) froze? Or the system actually shut down?  If it was the former, that's not your PS3, it's the game being buggy. BUGRIM *cough* Skyrim was one of the worst of those.

Message 35 of 43 (69 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1368 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

Yeah, the first thing.  Like I mentioned earlier, I don't believe there's anything wrong with the PS3, other than some games are just wonky.  And yeah, Skyrim was horrendous about that...it ranked pretty highly on my little "top 10 list of why Skyrim sucks" that I made for a friend of mine at work who said he was going to buy the game...

(He bought Dark Souls thanks to that conversation, and 4 months later he's STILL playing it)  I've never played any console game for 4 months straight!

cirkustanz
Message 36 of 43 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2670 posts

Dec 13, 2012

well then your ps3 should be fine if that's what's happening....

Message 37 of 43 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3181 posts

Dec 13, 2012

They were charging me about the same amount but I ended up going through one of those computer repair place's in my city. I got fixed for a little cheaper than that and I got it back the same day I had sent it in. It's been working for me ever since, like a whole year now, without problems and didn't need to ship it to sony at all.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 38 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 13, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

interesting.... never heard this before. Only thing I knew about the FATS was the airflow SUCKED and they felt like a oven within an hour. Half the reason alot of hardware was dumped (like 2 usb hubs and the memory card reader and w/e was in a FAT and isnt' in Slim) was to give it better airflow. Other reason was to bring the cost down.... Maybe I'll take my slim apart one day and add some thermal paste, I still have some in my PC toolbox.

I disagree with that. The original PS3 models had plenty of airflow, it had plenty of vents to ensure that and a large fan to maintain a proper airflow.

The original PS3s got so hot becuase the CPU & GPU processors were the 90nm dye size. The larger the dye size the more heat it produces. The heatsink it the original PS3 was huge and large enough to take care of the heat generated. Basically the issues these older PS3s had was that the thermal paste would dry up after a couple of years of use, and the lead free solder used in the PS3 is brittle and would start to fracture after several years of use...

Message 39 of 43 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2670 posts

Dec 13, 2012

yuo might be right about the thermal paste  I dont' remember THAT, but I didn't get one right away at launch just because consoles always have a problem at first now..... and I kept up with info it. I remember soooooo many articles and SONY THEMSELVES in a segment on the friggin news says just what I did.. All the harware they removed wasnt' just to reduce cost........but years?? Alot were dying after 6 MONTHS.  Hell might've been less idk

Message 40 of 43 (31 Views)
0 Likes