Splicer
89 posts

Re: I really want a Vita, but......

Mar 12, 2012

Your number 2 is why I believe they will confine remote play to private wifi network only. Then when you are away from home you would have to buy software. From a dev standpoint I would personally build in a small piece of software to push to the Vita. A mini game or a portion of a game. For example the Mass Effect for iPhone. If that was put on disc then pushed to the Vita it could keep you engaged, especially to boost stats for the overall game. An even bigger reason to buy a limited edition perhaps?

My other thing with remote play that seems to be overlooked is split screen multiplayer. Not many people have the Playstation 3D screen. (If a lot of people were buying it they wouldn't have dropped the price as much as they have.) The games that are running the full screen/ split screen for the PS3 are not being utilized. So, for instance, in a college dorm, a couple of people want to take advantage of the full screen multiplayer one could be on the TV, the other on a Vita. Right now this is marketed as cross play but we know the PS3 has the horsepower to do so. Motorstorn Apocolypse for example.

Although I wouldn't mind taking my PS3 library everywhere with me I think from a file size it would be way to difficult. Or as a thought maybe a $5 remote play pass to stream via online. An exclusive benefit to ps+ members?

Overall I think your basic point when coming from a devs point of view is that it purely comes down to dollars and cents. Again my opinion in this is that it will be confined to a home wifi, if not there might possibly be a premium to pay for convenience. Only time will tell.

Message 31 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Mar 12, 2012

Dudimus24 wrote:

I think you'll find that there are A LOT of people who are thinking the same way that I am and who would find the Vita to be an Insta-buy if or when Sony makes this a possibility. Don't get me wrong, I have played a few Vita titles and can confirm that it does have the games to merit the purchase, but for my situation where I don't get to be at home as much as I would like to be, letting me continue my PS3 play is the most appealing aspect of the Vita.

I'm one of these people. I don't do enough gaming on the go to necessarily warrant a Vita purchase on its own, but i live in a home with only 1 TV that gets shared. Well id like to sit on the couch and play my PS3 games while someone else watches the tube. So i'm waiting to buy a PSV until there's one of the following. 1) expanded remote play 2) a price drop or 3) some amazing PSV games released (sorry folks, there are a lot of "pretty good" Vita games out, but no system sellers yet.)

Message 32 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Mar 12, 2012

"Pretty good" but no system sellers???? Seriously? Show me ANY other handheld that can do anything like Uncharted. No other handheld system on the planet can do what the vita does and the price is perfect for what you are getting. The 3DS launched at the same price and was NOTHING compared to the Vita. There are plenty of awesome games on the system at launch and had the second best launch of any system in history.

Message 33 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11829 posts

Mar 12, 2012

Obiwan176 wrote:

I wouldn't click on that link. It is not even a legit Youtube link. What is youtu.be?

those links are simular to tiny url links...  they take you to a youtube video

>

Message 34 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
89 posts

Mar 12, 2012

You are really passionate about your Vita. And from the aspect of value you obviously see it. I did too or I wouldn't have bought it. For some people they just don't see it yet. As happy as I am I still was expecting more. I am the definition of early adopter though. The reason I do it is to watch the evolution. The FW upgrades, the games getting better, etc. The great thing aboout electronics is that they do get better and I hope that people like Ceodore and Dudimus24 at some point see that the value warrants the money spent and get into the community that we are currently enjoying. 

Message 35 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Mar 12, 2012

If you want to have fun, go with the vita!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 36 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13608 posts

Mar 13, 2012

We all know the Vita is powerful.

But once you get past the "Oh look how pretty these games are", the actual gameplay starts to matter.

Seeing as I've beaten Uncharted (all difficulties, with all treasures and that jazz) and beaten Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, I now find myself waiting for another decent game.

I do not like games with touch controls all that much (or at least those that are heavily reliant on it). And there are no Vita RPGs yet.

So until then, I just play the 3DS, since Kid Icarus comes out in 11 days.

It's all about the gameplay. You can make it look as pretty as you want, the game just has to be fun.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 37 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2134 posts

Mar 13, 2012

Off topic but I own quite a few Vita games, some of which are advertised as primarily touch based, Katamari for example (which I use the analog inputs for instead). I also hate forced touch input. On the flipside I also have a 3DS like you and had the DS prior to it so I guess it's safe to say I'm used to it. I won't be picking up KI:U though. I'm waiting for some other games. If you want to know some good non touch based Vita games I can probably recommend some. If you can find it for dirt cheap you may enjoy Shinobido.

Message 38 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I definitely bought the Vita with remote play in mind. Admittedly I did not do too much in depth research, because as an avid gamer I would have bought it anyway. I am always on the "bleeding" edge with technology, buying things as soon as they release. I bought the Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 at their launch (the same way I did their predecessors), as well as the DS, 3DS, PSP, and PSP Go so doing the same thing with the Vita was a given for me. I'm 31 but a bid kid at heart so I always want the latest and greatest. So before anyone starts bashing me, I will confer that the Vita is the greatest... but...

Without a doubt, the most appealing part of the Vita to me was Remote Play (or should I say the prospect of Remote Play.) I had seen the demo where killzone 3 was playing remotely from the Vita, and had read on numerous gaming sites that it would allow you to play your PS3 games remotely. No one seemed to say anything to the contrary in the beginning. What was doubted by some was whether or not it would be restricted to your local LAN, and most agreed that it would not properly function over 3g.

It wasn't until I preordered my Vita at GameStop and engaged in a conversation with one of their employees that he told me it would not have remote play from day 1. But he seemed very adamant that it would be an added feature via update later this year. (I do not know where he was getting his information, so that is why I said I did not do my own in depth research.) But going back to seeing the KZ3 demo, I was fairly convinced if it wasn't already there, it would be coming.

As also stated an earlier post, I have a huge backlog of PS3 games that I would love to play on the Vita. With a job and a big family I am very limited to the amount of time I can sit in front of a TV and zone out in a game. I have plenty of TVs in the house and have multiple consoles connected to multiple TVs, even duplicate consoles within my house. I did this so my children could game at times and I could game separately. However, more often then not I would rather be in the same room with my children. So the possibility of playing my PS3 games while on the same couch with my children as they either do their own gaming or watch television is extremely appealing to me. My 19 month old son sits on my lap when I play the Vita and he goes back and forth between watching me and Spongebob. If that could be a PS3 game I'm playing that would make the situation that much better.

One last comment as I am known to go on and on and write books for posts; having remote play capability would encourage me to buy more of my games on the PS3 as opposed to my Xbox360. Again, before you start bashing let me explain. I personally prefer the PS3. I prefer the controller from the PS3 and I love that PSN is free. It does irritate me to pay for Xbox Live but I do. The reason I do and the reason why I still buy certain titles for the 360 as opposed to the PS3 is my little brother. He is away in college and I try to game with him at least once a week. However, he does not have the unlimited budget that I do and he could only afford one console. But all of his college friends and teammates game on the 360. So that is what he bought. So in order to play with him, I buy certain titles that he is interested in on the 360. BUT if remote play worked, I would either buy it solely on the PS3 or buy it for both systems. A copy for the 360 for me to multiplayer with my brother and a copy on the PS3 for me to play through the single player campaign and still be around my children.

Message 39 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I am bewildered why people want to buy a handheld to use remote play which is laggy and not that good to begin with? I mean really.

Message 40 of 53 (3 Views)
0 Likes