Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: I think Microsoft may have accidentally left their lives in the hands of Sony and Nintendo

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

And what exactly is "that" 

Like I said I didnt read this whole thread, and I dont want to have a misconception of one thing you are saying, when you are really trying to present another.

Basically Im just looking for a basic rundown of what you are presenting.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 21 of 29 (132 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1342 posts

Re: I think Microsoft may have accidentally left their lives in the hands of Sony and Nintendo

Jun 18, 2013

"That" meaning the feature of the XBO that has the 2 OS's run in tandem to allow multitasking between apps, tv and dvr's (and other HDMI out devices).

Message 22 of 29 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jun 18, 2013

and what would be the application of that in the PS4?

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 23 of 29 (123 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1342 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Ok, I'll try to keep it short, but all that would mean is that without taking up too many HD inputs on your TV, you could plug in your consoles and other HDMI output devices to the XBO if you have a multiplexer. So basically, you'd be using the XBO UI but could swap back and forth on the fly between your systems, apps, tv, etc...

But in order for the PS4 and other competitive consoles to actually work within the XBO's UI, it appears that you can't just plug these systems in the XBO, because Microsoft and those companies would have to come up with a deal to allow that. This doesn't just apply to consoles but other HDMI out devices as well. Which means that if you can't plug whatever you want through the XBO and have them work in the UI then that feature is less attractive.

So if a lot of people were turned off by the XBO because they could not plug in their consoles (and other unsupported devices) through the XBO and this put pressure on Microsoft needing to structure deals with Sony and Nintendo, then that would mean Sony and Nintendo would have power over the XBO's success. Key emphasis on "need".

Message 24 of 29 (120 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16262 posts

Jun 18, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

They're not suddenly going to be "swell guys" and all make money for each other.

And if that were to happen, we'd be in the same crappy situation we are in with monopolized cable companies

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 25 of 29 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Jun 18, 2013

I don't think it will have any special feature's for the other consoles. It would run as a "Unidentified Input" or something like that.

PS1~PS2~PS3~PSP~PS Vita~Dreamcast.
-Killzone Mercenary Beta Tester
Free userbars
Message 26 of 29 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Jun 18, 2013

I can understand you wanting to possibly use one interface, but then wouldn't we have to check in every 24 hours to play Sony and Nintendo games? Also, wouldn't this make people's electric bills higher having both or several systems on at the same time, instead of just having on whichever system you are using?

Anyway, not sure why you got upset by other users putting in their 2 cents. I didn't see anything wrong with what they had to say, but I guess I'm not you.

My biggest thing would be it not being cost effective having several systems on at the same time all for UI. Perhaps during winter it would help heat my place. Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 29 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1342 posts

Jun 18, 2013

renstimpy3 wrote:

I don't think it will have any special feature's for the other consoles. It would run as a "Unidentified Input" or something like that.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking and if that were to happen then it'd be interesting (to me anyways) to see if that's the case for other HDMI devices that didn't have a partnership with Microsoft as well. Because if that's the case, then that feature isn't as good anymore...well, at least to me.

UnrealButcher wrote:

I can understand you wanting to possibly use one interface, but then wouldn't we have to check in every 24 hours to play Sony and Nintendo games? Also, wouldn't this make people's electric bills higher having both or several systems on at the same time, instead of just having on whichever system you are using?

Anyway, not sure why you got upset by other users putting in their 2 cents. I didn't see anything wrong with what they had to say, but I guess I'm not you.

My biggest thing would be it not being cost effective having several systems on at the same time all for UI. Perhaps during winter it would help heat my place. Smiley Wink

As far as your first question, no that shouldn't be the case since the system can work without an internet connection. You just can't play your games. So you should still be able to user the UI allowing whatever consoles connected to the system to function wih the UI (if designed to do so).

As far as the power consumption, that's really up to the users that are interested in the feature. If they feel it's worth it then that's them I guess.

And the only person I had an issue with was glacius, and that's seems to have been settled. Everyone else has been alright.

Message 28 of 29 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1342 posts

Jun 22, 2013

I was actually going to let this thread die just because of all of the confusion. Plus... since Microsoft pulled a complete 180 on all of their policies, it doesn't seem like it'll be that big of an issue anymore, but a friend of mine sent me this reddit thread. And it... with just a picture explains what I was failing to do by trying to write a book. Thought it was kind of funny, so I'll just post it here to give some clarity.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/1gsra8

Message 29 of 29 (28 Views)
0 Likes