Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Last Guardian
12042 posts

Re: I thought the Cell processor in the PS3 was clocked at 4.8 ghz?

Jun 10, 2005

Aleman wrote:

First of all, don't judge a processor by it's clockspeed unless you are comparing the same ones (e.g. Pentium 4 to Pentium 4)

And,their have been Cell prototypes clocked at 4.6 Ghz, but I'd imagine,they get better yields at 3.2 Ghz and it likely runs cooler, which is,better for the PS3.

Yeah.,Its likely they did have to tone it down. I read awhile back that a,huge problem with the development of PS3 is they were litterally on,fire. They were running so hot that poof they'd go up in smoke. And,given the size of PS3 and target price range it would be way to costly,and unlogical to add in the additional size and cooling to keep the,Cells speed at maximum... They also did this with the PSP as well but,to prolong its battery life. But yes you cant judge a processor by its,clockspeed unless comparing the same ones. And even them youd probably,find a slight differential in them etc....
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2795 posts

Jun 10, 2005

sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

Aleman wrote:

First of all, don't judge a processor by it's clockspeed unless you are comparing the same ones (e.g. Pentium 4 to Pentium 4)

And,their have been Cell prototypes clocked at 4.6 Ghz, but I'd imagine,they get better yields at 3.2 Ghz and it likely runs cooler, which is,better for the PS3.

Yeah.,Its likely they did have to tone it down. I read awhile back that a,huge problem with the development of PS3 is they were litterally on,fire. They were running so hot that poof they'd go up in smoke. And,given the size of PS3 and target price range it would be way to costly,and unlogical to add in the additional size and cooling to keep the,Cells speed at maximum... They also did this with the PSP as well but,to prolong its battery life. But yes you cant judge a processor by its,clockspeed unless comparing the same ones. And even them youd probably,find a slight differential in them etc....

I,remember that to, they said the very early development kits ran so hot,that they would litteraly catch fire. It got so bad for some they,actually had minifridges/freezers made and housed the dev kits in it to,keep it from bursting into flames.
,Though can you imagine the reaction the first person to have that,happen to them? "Damn we made such a powerfull game the dev kit,couldn't even keep up with it!"
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
292 posts

Jun 10, 2005
Hehe, some guy filming like a ps3 commercial
,*playing*
,*FOOOOOOOSHH*
,Holy crap! It's on fire!
,"Now that's a hot system"
,"PS3. It's on fire"
,I wan't them to put a liquid cooling system in a more expensive launch,model.. And have like a  "Hood" So you can flip it off and show,off your pimp ride ?
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1898 posts

Jun 10, 2005
Sony Over Hyped again.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8277 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,C.I.W wrote:
Sony Over Hyped again.

Did you read the previous posts before you made stupid comment like that? ,

Besides, IBM is the one who said that the Cell could be run at 4.8 GHz.

Message Edited by Llama Herder on 06-10-2005 03:21 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1898 posts

Jun 10, 2005

Llama Herder wrote:

C.I.W wrote:
Sony Over Hyped again.

Did you read the previous posts before you made stupid comment like that?

Besides, IBM is the one who said that the Cell could be run at 4.8 GHz.

Message Edited by Llama Herder on 06-10-2005 03:21 PM

Again Sony OVER HYPED again. 
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
292 posts

Jun 10, 2005

C.I.W wrote:
Sony Over Hyped again.

Silly rabit, crack is for.. uhh.. Sony stated CELL could reach that. The media stated PS3 could, because cell is in ps3? I think
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8788 posts

Jun 10, 2005
oh i thought athlon xp XXXX+s went up to 3500 =/ hehe ,
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15686 posts

Jun 10, 2005

fear-58 wrote:
I've been reading after E3,Interviews that the cell processor is clocked at 3.2GHZ, not that I'm,complaining, thats very fast... But I coulda swore I remember reading,that It will come out of the box at 4.8ghz?

no, They clocked a cell at 5.6ghz, but the one they're gonna use in the ps3 will run at 3.2ghz
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15686 posts

Jun 10, 2005

gigablade77 wrote:

Chuck S. wrote:
The PSP was also supposed to run higher than it does. 333MHZ when announced.....but capped at 222 for battery conservation.

And teh fact that no games needed 333mhz yet

Anyways - it was announced that there would be a 4.8 Ghz CELL, not that the PS3 would have one.

And,like an other person said - judge not by hz, but by the performance. My,2.2 Ghz AMD Athlon 64 3500+ out performs my friend's Intel P4 EXTREME,3.8 Ghz processor.

Message Edited by gigablade77 on 06-10-2005 02:35 PM

I,know, this is what some people dont understand, the clock speeds dont,tell you how good something is unless your comparing it to the same,processor.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes