By: da1writer PlayStation MVP 4696 posts

[INFO] Child of Light

[ Edited ]
55 replies 3212 views Edited Jun 6, 2014
980_Child_of_Light_banner.jpg

NEWS
5.20.14 - Vita version announced for July 1 Release

OVERVIEW

From Patrick Plourde, creative director of Far Cry® 3, and Jeffrey Yohalem, winner of the Writers Guild of America Award, comes Child of Light, a digital title developed under Ubisoft Montreals alternative label Funhouse.

Envisioned as a "playable poem" by its creators, Child of Light is a modern reimagining of our childhood fairy tales.

Set in the magical world of Lemuria, Child of Light takes us on the coming-of-age journey of Aurora, a young girl struggling to save a lost kingdom and her ailing father.

"Come, tuck yourself into bed
Let me tell a story.
Of Lemuria, a kingdom past
And a girl born for glory."

The daughter of the Duke of Carniola is transported to Lemuria, a mysterious world that needs her help. Identified as the Child of Light and granted the power of flight, she takes on the minions of Lemuria's Dark Queen in her quest to recover the sun, the moon, and the stars to return home. Along the way she'll discover that her destiny may be far greater than she ever dreamed.

"Beware the night, Child of Light."

• A Playable Poem

In an homage to The Golden Age of Illustration (Arthur Rackham and Gustave Doré), Child of Light invites you to discover a forgotten kingdom skillfully hand drawn and beautifully rendered with watercolor thanks to the UbiArt Engine.

Complemented with a story carefully crafted in verse and rhyme, and an original soundtrack by composer Cœur de pirate, the breathtaking scenery of Lemuria extends an invitation to explore a long-lost world.

• The Rich World of Lemuria

Across your journey through Lemuria you will encounter many eccentric creatures, from spirits of the forest, talking mice, wicked witches, and evil sea serpents. Discover a vast land with iconic locations and exciting dungeons that will evolve as Aurora regains the stolen lights.

• Classic RPG Turn-Based Combat

Child of Light utilizes an Active-Time Battle System, allowing you to fight alongside the firefly Igniculus and other members of Aurora's party.

• Solve Puzzles and Search for Mysteries

Using the power of light, Aurora and Igniculus must work together to solve puzzles involving shadows and movable objects.

• Play with Friends in Co-op

Level up to upgrade your stats and use your skill points to unlock unique abilities for your character and your party members. 

A deep crafting system allows you to combine gems to improve your sword, talisman, and armor abilities. Each game has a unique gem profile, meaning that gems common in one player's game are rare in another's and vice versa, encouraging the community to trade gems with friends.

CoL_DeluxeEdition_130261.jpg
Deluxe Edition (UK Only)

Genre: Platforming , Role-Playing

Supported Players: 1 -  2

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal

Publisher: Ubisoft

Release Date: April 30 2014

ERSB Game Rating: E

Digital Download Size:  2GB

Platform: PS4, PS3, Vita (July 1)

Suggested Manufacturer's Retail Price: $14.99 (UK Only Deluxe Edition : N/A)

slide3.jpg

"I hope players will fall in love with the game" 

//Patrick Plourde, Creative Director\\

//Jeffrey Yohalem, Scriptwriter\\

What is Child of Light?

Child of Light is a 2D RPG using Ubi Art Framework, the Rayman Origins Engine. The original idea was to make a game where we play on living paintings, a ‘playable poem’. A game that feels soft and inviting where I’m free to explore and discover it. You mix it with my love for JRPGs like the FinalFantasy and Grandia series and you have the foundations of what the game is today.

What were your inspirations to create the Child of Light’s universe?

In 2007, I went to see the ‘Once upon a Time… Walt Disney’ exposition at the Art Museum here in Montreal. Looking at the references , from Arthur Rackham to Kay NielsenDisney used to create its classic movies was really inspiring to me. The idea that stuck with me was to, one day, uses those references and have a chance to do my personal take on it.

Fairy Tales strong use of Symbols makes them universal and open to be reinterpreted. The idea is to use those symbols that live in our collective ‘DNA’ and to spin them in a tale that feels modern: An active heroine, no prince charming at the end, focused on the idea that we need to grow up, leave home and take responsibility to make a change in the world.

That was the initial spark toward building the universe of Lemuria.

What is the story of Child of Light?

Child of Light is the story of a young girl, Aurora, who falls ill, but instead of dying she wakes up in another world. The game is about her struggle to return home.

Jeffrey, how did you write the script?

The script is written in verse, largely in ballad form. It’s exciting and challenging to work within such a rigid structure. Pat and I developed the story together in October, and I’ve been working on it since.

Because the text in the game is largely written, not spoken, my goal is to pack as much meaning into as few words as possible. Much of the story is told through gameplay, the story’s evolution is tightly linked with Aurora’s evolution.

It’s also important that I remain flexible. The script changes during the development process. As the levels of the game evolve, the script evolves. We’re working in tandem.

As you can see in the trailer above, Trials Fusion builds off of the Trials series’ unique take on physics-based platform racing while introducing features such as the brand new FMX Tricks System. Our development teams at RedLynx and Ubisoft Shanghai have designed Trials Fusion specifically for next-gen hardware, and we plan on bringing you tons of races, skill games, and challenges to tackle in the months to come.

Patrick, as the creative director, can you tell us what are the key challenges you are facing while developing Child of Light?

Self Doubt. That’s always the main issue. Is it a good idea? Is it going to be fun? Is it relevant? I follow my heart and my guts, but since this project is more personal, I feel naked sometimes. I hope players will fall in love with the game.

Otherwise, the switch from 3D to 2D was another big challenge. In 2D, you can’t lie. Everything exist on the screen, you can’t turn the camera around to reveal something or to tease. It’s all there on the screen. All my design reflexes in previous games were built on using 3D to tease exploration, to generate Gameplay challenges, etc., so that was something that hit me hard when we started to play the prototypes. But don’t worry, I got over it!

For which public did you create this game?

Primarily the game is a love letter to JRPG fans. That’s our core audience. We hope we can reach players that haven’t played the genre in a while and rekindle their love for this type of adventure, players who were raised on the golden age of Squaresoft.

I also feel we can make an impact with women. There’s a serious lack of representation of strong female leads in games and I feel we can make a difference.

What did the UbiArt Framework bring to the game?

The first advantage is that we can produce a lot of content with a small team in a reasonable time frame. Something that we could NEVER have done  in 3D. When you make a JRPG, it requires a LOT of assets, both in the number of environments and enemies, something that would have required a much bigger team. Going with UAF gives us the opportunity to create the game we want, and take more creative risks. For example, we can actually draw a character in the morning, and have it animated and working in the engine in the afternoon. It’s better for iterations and allow us to create a full bestiary.

The other one is that we can create a rich High Definition world in 2D, in 60 FPS. The tools for the artists are really great so that will enable our team to create a really magical world.

You both worked on Far Cry 3 before Child of Light. Why create such a different game? Are there some common points between the two projects?

[PP] Child of Light is the complete opposite from FC3. That was my conscious goal from the start. Something soft, poetic and feminine. I think these are themes that are a) fascinating, and B) underrepresented in games. So I wanted to explore them.

Creators are like Sharks, we die if we stop moving. Child of Light is about pressing the reset button, starting fresh and risk everything on something that I never did before.

[JY]  They both are  coming-of-age  stories  set  in dream worlds.  The  worlds  themselves  are  very different, but the journey is one of self-discovery. We wanted to tell a different kind of story than a first-person shooter would allow. Try to create a new experience.

What would you like to be the emotion that people will keep in their mind after finishing Child of Light?

[PP] Happiness. I hope they will feel they went on a Journey with Aurora and that they believe in the magic of Fairy Tales.

[JY] Joy. The triumph of the human spirit.

Why Child of Light is a digital title? On which platforms the game will be released?

Digital means that we have the possibility to reach directly our consumers. We can be as creative as we want without worrying about competing for self space. Its all about our relationship with the fans. I hope we won’t disappoint them.

Our goal is that gamers can have easy access to our game. The game will come on PS4 and PS3!

Child of Light Websites

Official Sites: 

Social Media: 

Photos

2376165-trailer_col_playthru_2013112.jpg

2495258-monastry_vitraux_02.jpg

9713062776_3ab809a576_o.jpg

Click the Spoiler Tag to See More Photos... 

Spoiler

9713062836_e332b6ac37_o.jpg

13965416405_1.jpg

Child-of-Light-4-1280x720.jpg

Child-of-Light-221564-full.png

homepage_slide_child_of_light_screenshot_temple_127570.jpg

homepage_slide_child_of_light_screenshot_village_127572.jpg

col.jpg 

678-banner.jpg
Message 12 of 56 (3,212 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7042 posts

[INFO] Child of Light

[ Edited ]
Apr 16, 2014

col

The game will be available on April 30, 2014.

The Final Fantasy VI-inspired downloadable RPG will cost $14.99, and is set to release on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. The game was created using Ubisoft’s UbiArt Framework, the engine that also powered Rayman Legends and Origins, as well as the upcoming Valiant Hearts.

Child of Light was created by a small team inside of Ubisoft, many of whom previously worked on Far Cry 3.

Child of Light is a platforming role-playing video game. The game puts players in the shoes of Aurora, a child stolen from her home, who, in her quest to return, must bring back the sun, the moon and the stars held captive by the mysterious Queen of the Night. Helped by her playable companion Igniculus the firefly and several unlikely allies, Aurora will face her darkest fears in this modern take on a coming-of-age story.

Child of Light centers around Aurora, a girl from 1895 Austria who contracts a physical ailment that causes her to fall asleep. Upon waking up, Aurora finds herself in the mythical world of Lemuria which has had its sun, moon and stars stolen by the Black Queen. Aurora is tasked with recovering the celestial bodies and ultimately reuniting with her father.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 56 (3,452 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

Re: Child of Light Info, Trailer

Feb 7, 2014

Im buying it day one

Message 2 of 56 (3,434 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7042 posts

Re: Child of Light Info, Trailers

Mar 10, 2014

added trailer, deluxe edition

Photobucket
Message 3 of 56 (3,387 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3137 posts

Mar 10, 2014
This looks game looks interesting i might be getting this one.
Message 4 of 56 (3,376 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
616 posts

Mar 10, 2014

Not normally a fan of Ubisoft, but this looks cool. Inspired by Final Fantasy VI? Awesome!!!

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 5 of 56 (3,371 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7042 posts

Mar 20, 2014

added video

Photobucket
Message 6 of 56 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Re: [INFO] Child of Light

Apr 3, 2014

Just now hearing about this game. Looks incredible.

Message 7 of 56 (3,309 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7042 posts

Apr 11, 2014

added trailer

Photobucket
Message 8 of 56 (3,270 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
601 posts

Apr 16, 2014

Honestly I was expecting a Rayman syle game here, bu in the last months, I realized how beautiful this game is.
Even just now, that I watched the new trailer on the Playstation channel on Youtube.
The level designs and the music...of the trailer at least, made me love it

@FeddeWilliams / psnfedde@hotmail.com

Who Are the Playstation MVPs?
Message 9 of 56 (3,230 Views)