Jan 15 2014
By: AtlanteanMan Wastelander 633 posts

[INFO] Daisenryaku Perfect HD

[ Edited ]
153 replies 5319 views Edited Feb 6, 2014

Hey everyone,

WE'RE BACK!!!!!

As those of you who participated in the original thread dedicated to Daisenryaku Perfect HD know, it's been almost three full years since its original announcement.  We did all we could to try to keep the discussion going there, but ultimately there just wasn't enough new information to justify keeping the thread going.  But as promised, I'm here to happily announce that DSP HD now has a FINAL, OFFICIAL Japanese release date: FEBRUARY 6th, 2014.  And attached here is most of the original post from the other thread...THOUGH PLEASE READ THROUGH IT AGAIN BECAUSE THERE HAVE BEEN SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE GAME...plus the opening cinematic from DSP HD.  Below is the link to the cinematic in all its glory; ENJOY!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qm9AoqEArIs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On March 16, 2011, SystemSoft Alpha of Japan announced their latest in their long-running turn-based military stategy series, Daisenryaku.  The new title is Daisenryaku Perfect HD: The Strategic & Tactical Modern Warfare Simulation, and for strategy lovers it is MEGATON news, especially if you have any prior experience with games in the series.  Simply put, this series is without question the deepest and best turn-based series of its type anywhere on console and even arguably PC.  I'll discuss the new game and the history of the series below for those unfamiliar with it as well as post a link to Daisenryaku Perfect HD's  website so all of you can take a look for yourselves (as it is a Japanese site, it greatly helps to have Google Translate or some other translation tool turned on to be able to read the feature descriptions).

http://www.ss-alpha.co.jp/products/dsp_hd/image/feature/feature_gazou_sengoku.jpg

WHY THIS SERIES YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF IS TRULY GREAT AND DESERVES YOUR SUPPORT

First, please let me tell you why I am personally so stoked for this game.  My first experience with a Daisenryaku (which is Japanese for "Grand Strategy") title was with Iron Storm for the Sega Saturn.  Sega had actually published it in Japan for SystemSoft, but Working Designs saw how special it was and ported it for English-speaking audiences.  Those few who were lucky enough to take a chance on a copy, including myself, were floored by its depth and presentation.  Set during World War II, the game featured three separate campaigns (US, Japan, Germany) with over 500 real weapons, and toward the ends of each campaign, a couple of "What If", Secrets of the Luftwaffe-style enemy prototype units among the opposing force to face.  The battles were presented in first-generation 3D realtime cinemas, so you could actually watch the F-4U Corsairs engage the Japanese Zeroes or the Sherman tanks (usually get slaughtered by) the German Tigers.  My personal favorite was the submarine attacks, which would fire a torpedo toward the player, then the camera would turn to follow its path into the enemy vessel, often with lethal results.  The graphics look dated now, but were cutting-edge then, and the gameplay still holds up every bit as well.  Overall I probably spent over 100 hours playing Iron Storm, and loved every minute of it.

In the summer of 2010 I introduced three friends to a little-known, critically poorly-received game for the PlayStation 2, Daisenryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics Exceed, which was ported by Valcon Games about a year after Koei ported an earlier version for the XBox.  Up to then I'd played a little against the AI and in the Campaign Mode, but the game and its aethetics hadn't really captured me the way Iron Storm did.  All of that changed when my friends and I started playing a 4-player match using a custom map I'd made in the Map Editor.  The sight of seeing 200 units on the map (which maxed out at 64X64 hexes), the realization that various terrain such as forests or snow had an at-times drastic effect on unit movement, along with the sheer depth and the forethought required to make a significant advance against each other's lines, quickly drew remarks like "This blows Axis & Allies out of the water, and FORGET Risk!"  That first day we played for over 10 hours straight, and the match was not even close to being decided, so we saved it in-progress.  Since then we've gathered about once per week for over a year now, our sittings averaging between 6-10 hours at a time and sometimes till after 4:00 am (keep in mind this is with current-gen games from all three current consoles lying around, totally ignored).  Eventually we took on a fifth player to our rotation, and more recently two more; another co-worker was so entranced by our description of DS VII that he went and bought it for himself as well.  Everybody who has tried it has fallen in love with it despite its board-game aesthetics (which do grow on you) and minimal animations; after all SystemSoft was smart enough to realize that this series is not about graphical presentation as much as it is about gameplay, SPECIFICALLY THE MULTI-PLAYER; that was what all the western reviews sadly missed.  It is, simply put, the ultimate party game if you have any love at all for more cerebral fare than first-person shooters or sports games.  The good-natured trash talk between me and my friends and the intensity that builds when you're 10 hours in and someone's about to lose their capital is something you must experience for yourself to appreciate.

With that in mind, I began requesting that SystemSoft, Valcon Games, and anybody else I could think of, make and localize a PlayStation 3 version of Daisenryaku, along with a laundry list of features (primarily online capability, as some of my friends will soon be moving away after finishing school).  I found other fans of the series online and began corresponding with them, but up until yesterday there was a cloud of doubt as to whether such a project would ever happen.  But yesterday, finally, it did, and I've since wasted no time trying to spread the word to see if I can raise enough interest to get a localization done for Daisenryaku Perfect HD.

ABOVE: The 3D battle cinemas when your units attack are underwhelming by PS3 standards (perhaps a localization developer could undertake the task of adding further detail and graphical enhancements), but can be turned off to speed up things (and think about it; when you're having to move dozens or even hundreds of units around the map in a turn-based game, you almost certainly will turn them off anyway, so I can see from a certain standpoint why SystemSoft used a minimalist approach with them).  Besides, this game's strength is all about the gameplay and statistical depth; making high-end models of all 600 weapons likely would tax the limits of disc space, though it WOULD be awesome both for the game and as a military reference of sorts (not to mention a selling point to those gamers who consider "bad graphics" a dealbreaker in deciding whether to take a chance on a title).

GAMEPLAY IN DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD

In a nutshell, this series historically features campaigns and units from two different eras, World War II and the modern era.  Daisenryaku Perfect HD is set in the modern era, and features a whopping 600 unit types across 22 different countries, each with its real-life strengths and weaknesses.  Only infantry can capture a city or facility (which provides war funds and the ability to produce different types of units; a player is eliminated if he or she loses their capital), but on foot they're slow and especially vulnerable to armor and air strikes, so ground, naval, and aerial transports are essential.  The M1A2 Abrams easily outclasses the technologically outdated tanks of the former Soviet Union, but finds itself with a real challenge against the British Challenger and the German Leopard.  Russia's tanks, however, can counter with their Refleks missiles, which can reach one extra hex beyond their NATO counterparts' main guns.  Surface-to-air missile systems such as the Patriot and Israel's Arrow can intercept not only planes and helicopters, but also certain cruise missiles, so placing some around your facilities is crucial.  The Raptor, with its great stealth rating and long-range air-to air firepower, is the pinnacle of fighter design currently, but on the other side of the coin the A-10 Thunderbolt is simply put a flying tank that can devastate enemy ground targets and can take a huge beating before going down.  AEGIS-equipped ships such as the Ticonderoga can intercept incoming enemy aircraft with surface-to-air missiles, while submarines like the Seawolf and the Virginia class can not only sink ships but also destroy cities and facilities inland with cruise missiles.  Getting line of sight on the map for your mobile artillery is key, so reconnaisance units like the Bradley or the Hummer are essential to any force.  I know I've mentioned primarily US units here, but with over 600 units let me assure you you're going to find an encyclopedic selection of real-life units that interact in a very similar way as they would in real life; no rock-paper-scissors stuff going on here!

The gameplay is very deep and rewards players who take the time to research their units' stats; for instance, the B2 bomber is devastating against enemy forces and fortifications when equipped with its standard pack of 2,000-lb bombs, but equip it with Pack 2 and you have AGMs (anti-ground cruise missiles) that can reach targets up to 18 hexes away, far enough not to expose the bomber to direct enemy counter-fire.  Knowing your units' various weapons packs and how best to use them will give you a huge advantage.  The ATACMS can strike for multi-hex devastation (especially when leveled up) from up to 12 hexes away with its ground-to-ground cruise missiles, and the Russian Smerch, which also attacks for multi-hex damage, can be lethal in sufficient numbers.  Helicopters such as the Russian Hind or the Apache can be equipped with any of several packs tailored for specific purposes, from air-to-air missiles to anti-tank missiles and rockets.  Smaller units, from infantry to tanks and planes, come in groups of 10 per unit, while larger ones such as ships only have one unit (but with an appropriately high hit point total).  Each unit group gains experience as it engages enemy units in battle, much like in an RPG, and as it gains levels it receives greater accuracy, defense, and other bonuses.  That's why it is important to pull a damaged or out-of-ammo unit back and repair it at a base when necessary; it also gives the player reason not to waste the "lives" of his units, because leveling up can be time-consuming and the bonuses really can make a huge difference.  During each round of gameplay each player takes their turn; first a player moves their units that are already on the map, attacks where necessary, and then goes through the building phase where they make new units (up to a specified maximum number limit) or replace destroyed ones.  Maintaining a steady flow of funds is critical, which is why cities and factories will be the site of many heavy battles.  On a given map, depending on the maximum player slots available, you can have all human players or a mix of human and AI opponents.  There can be teams or a free for all where it's every faction for themselves (and let me tell you, these get CRAZY sometimes; you always find yourself thinking "If I had JUST ONE MORE thing here or there...").  Aircraft must return to base to refuel or else they WILL crash, so players must keep a careful eye on their status each turn; an alternative is using mid-air refuelers if you can.  Supply trucks are essential to keep in your convoys to refuel and re-arm your ground units, and either they or certain facilities can do so if a unit is on or adjacent to them (the computer does this automatically for you at the beginning of each turn, and you can set whether resupplying affects funds or not).

ABOVE: The Tutorial (Simple Mode) is useful for newcomers to the series to learn its nuances quickly.  And yes, there is a HEAVY Japanese-game feel to it, as the screenshot attests (I mean that in a good way).

ABOVE: A zoomed-in view of a coastal map area with standard hexes.  BELOW:  The same area with the Topographical appearance turned on.

CUSTOMIZATION:  The screens below show the immense depth of the customization tools available to the player.  This is a game built to last a VERY long time before it stops offering something new.

ABOVE: Here are the Rules Customization screens.  As you can see, a match can be tailored to suit a player's or group's exact preferences.  The "ZOC" in the upper-right screen stands for "Zone Of Control", which can be turned on or off.  When on, it allows a unit to block or slow the progress of any enemy units trying to get by it on an adjacent hex (especially on the ground, but helicopters with AGMs can use ZOC against tanks and other ground forces; be creative!).

ABOVE: A screen from the Map Editor, where the player is using the Space Fantasy Theme to "paint" their map hexes from the selections on the palette.  Making a map is easy and an experienced user can generate some truly awesome, balanced maps for any number of players.

ABOVE:  Here is a screen from the Weapon Editor, showing the stats for the F2 fighter.  The individual strengths and weaknesses of the unit can be tweaked to produce a huge number of customizations.  Want to create a flying tank to devastate your foes?  You can.  Want to ratchet back the stats of an "overpowered" unit?  You can do that as well; not many game developers will ever let you do that with their baby, and this is the first time I think it's EVER happened on consoles.

ABOVE: The Production Type (Nation) Editor.  22 different countries not enough, or is there a particular country you'd like to see added (real or fictional)?  Now you can do it, again for the first time in the series' console history.  The first column appears to indicate the overall number of units available in the factions listed, while the other columns indicate how many of each unit type (planes, tanks, helicopters, ships, etc).  I'm not 100 percent certain about this version but if it's the same as in Daisenryaku Perfect 3.0 for the Japanese PC, the columns stand for, from left to right: Very High Air (where ICBMs and certain spy planes only can go), High Air (the realm of fighter aircraft and other planes), Low Air (helicopters), Ground (everything from infantry to tanks and recon vehicles, etc.), Surf (meaning the wavetops where ships travel), and lastly Deep Sea (where only submarines can go).  The 11 production types visible on this part of the menu, in case you're curious, are, in order: Japan, USA, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain, France. China, Australia, and Saudi Arabia.   I believe the final column on the right signifies the combined total costs for one of every unit available to that faction; as you can easily see, the US and Russia have by far the most expensive toys as well as a lot more of them than many other factions (but the US is truly in a league of its own where having to manage unit costs is concerned).  

ABOVE: The Terrain Editor.  Here you can change the unit movement effects of the various terrain types to fit your play style.  Want your tanks to go through forests easily?  Done!

WHAT SOME OF THE DIFFERENT FACTIONS BRING TO THE TABLE

The factions each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and players will swiftly find their own favorites for each.  Here are some highlights of eight nations featured in the game:

America:  Easily the most powerful production type, hands down.  Their technology allows for a combination of range, stealth, firepower, and accuracy that can be awesome to behold.  But they are by no means a guarantee of victory for a player, because they have also by far the most expensive units in the game, and when those expensive units go down and the funds are too low to replace them, the US can be very vulnerable.  Among their best units not previously listed are the Spooky, which is a modified C-130 that rains death upon any ground forces (if you've seen the first Transformers movie you know exactly what I'm talking about), the Paladin mobile artillery, the F-14 Tomcat carrier-based fighter, and the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

Great Britain:  Not a powerhouse, and it has far fewer units than America, but it does have some nice ones, such as the Challenger Main Battle Tank (MBT), the Braveheart mobile artillery, and the cruise missile-equipped Trafalgar submarine.

Japan:  A defensive powerhouse, Japan can take on anyone over air, sea, or land and potentially win, especially when their back is against the wall.  Their Kongo-class ships are AEGIS-equipped and can go head-to-head with any other cruisers in the game, the F2 Viper Zeros are great against air or land targets, and their MBTs fare well against even the NATO "Big Three" (Abrams, Challenger, and Leopard).  The lack of a carrier limits their ability to project power navally.

Russia:  Probably the most versatile production type outside of America.  Their Hind, Alligator, and Black Shark helicopters are heavily armored and can be lethal to ground and, when appropriately equipped, naval targets.  Their Frogfoot fighter-bombers are devastating to tanks but they are very limited range-wise.  Their Super Flankers and Naval Flankers are the backbone of their air superiority forces, and can be deadly.  In sufficient numbers, their MSTA mobile artillery and Smerch missile launchers can wreak havoc on approaching enemy ground forces.  The SPU-3000 has a greater air intercept range than even the NATO Patriot.  Their Kilo diesel-powered subs are sheer death when they get in range of enemy ships, though they have a short range before they must be refueled.

China:  The cheapest units in the game, hands down.  The problem is, you usually get what you pay for in regards to quality.  But with extremely cheap and easily replaceable units, a player using China can potentially overwhelm an opponent utilizing sheer numbers.  Their Gazelle copter is very effective for the price against ground targets.

Germany:  A surprisingly powerful NATO nation, especially on the ground (their navy, not so much).  Their Leopard tanks are probably the most lethal in the game, and along with the Challenger are probably the best-defended tanks as well.  Their mobile artillery are no slouches, either, and their Eurofighter Typhoons are easily the class of Europe's current fighter planes.

Israel:  A little country that can kick some big-time butt, pure and simple.  The F-15 Baz (Israel's version of the F-15 Eagle) is a versatile fighter that can successfully engage enemy planes as well as ground and sea targets (when properly equipped); Israel's reputation for having some of the best planes and most battle-experienced pilots in the world is well-represented here.  Their Merkava tanks are just a notch below the likes of the Abrams and Leopard; they're very well-protected and are devastating against other ground forces.  Their Lahatut helicopters are death against tanks.  On the naval side they're weak aside from some surprisingly powerful small submarines, the Dolphin and the Gal; they have no carriers or assault ships to put ground units ashore at a beach, which limits them to naval and aerial transports and hurts them a lot in mounting an attack from the sea.

France:  A well-rounded if generally unremarkable production type.  Their LeClerc tanks are certainly decent in sufficient numbers, they have decent mobile artillery, and they do have a small carrier, which is more than some others here can boast.

ABOVE: At least four different factions (Blue, Red, Green, and Yellow) can be seen in this screenshot.  Please note that this is very likely only a percentage of the entire map, and the numbers of units participating can indeed become massive.

ABOVE:  Knowing your Map basics is crucial to quickly navigating the rest of the game.  The Sun symbol shown in the middle of the screen under Blue Army's turn apparently describes the current weather/time of day for the round.  You'll also notice that there is snowy terrain toward the southern end of the map.  The little cylindrical buildings appear to be bunkers, and on the small island in the southeast is either an airport or an Air Base (the former can only refuel planes and repair damaged subunits, while the latter can field new squadrons).  The two facilities in the north-center of the map which have chimneys are factories, and produce funds and/or material toward your war effort.  The top-left facility is a city of some sort (Daisenryaku Perfect 3.0 for the Japanese PC features three types of cities which yield various levels of funds: Metropolis, City, and Town).

ABOVE:  Various unit type and statistical screens.

KEY FIRST-TIME FEATURES IN DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD

Along with a presumed campaign mode, Daisenryaku Perfect HD will also offer a fully featured multiplayer mode for up to EIGHT players and up to 2 players online (from my current understanding of the updated information).  It also comes with an Editor mode where you can literally change everything you wish to your liking; Rules (over 50 different Rules settings), Maps (the highest figure hasn't been posted yet but the map size limit should be higher than it was in DS VII; Daisenryaku Perfect 3.0 for the Japanese PC maxes out at 256X256 hexes, which is simply epic in scale), Production Types (you can make new nations and add them to the existing 22 countries), Weapons (everything from the armor and attack ratings to the appearance and animations), and more.  The map editor features, for the first time on console, fantasy themes like space or medieval, and there are fantasy units (obviously outside the main production types) to go with them, from space dreadnoughts to ironclads to dragons.  You can change the appearance of the map from a hex-based format to a very nice topographical look.  Also for the first time on console you can play in either Simple Mode (think Advance Wars-level strategy) or ratchet things up beyond the standard Normal Mode to Strategic Mode, where you must micro-manage things like supply lines (if an enemy cuts off the line coming from a city you lose that money it was producing until you can rectify the problem) and where your units come under support fire as they approach enemy lines to attack (in other words, your tanks will be hit from artillery that may be positioned behind the infantry you're rolling up to attack BEFORE they get the chance to fire at close range).  Day, night, and weather effects are also present.  Perhaps the least impressive feature is the 3D battle animations, which are presented in a way very similar to Iron Storm's but are clearly well below the quality of most other game models on the PS3; but again, this series has always put a premium on gameplay over graphics, I can't stress this enough (plus on every version I've played you can turn the animations off to speed up gameplay if you wish).  Yes, the game definitely earns its "Perfect" monicker, folks.

THE FANTASY THEMES AND UNITS:  For the first time in the Daisenryaku series, there are new fantasy themes such as space and medieval included.  Time will tell if there will be an extensive array of units to go with each, but here's hoping!

ABOVE: The Space Fantasy Theme (obviously the standard military units shown here don't go with it exactly, but I thought I'd show it to give you an idea what it brings as far as potential to Daisenryaku Perfect HD).

ABOVE: Various units from the Fantasy Themes

THE GAME'S WEBSITE LINK:#####

Here is the link to Daisenryaku Perfect HD's webpage:

http://www.ss-alpha.co.jp/products/dsp_hd/

I received a response to my plea for Sony to localize the game, and the rep who replied told me to post information here on the forums.  He said that it would certainly help its chances of being localized for English-speaking audiences if enough people respond to the post saying they want it.  Well, this is your chance to let them know!  Anyone who's reading this particular forum will likely be quick to agree with me that the current-gen western games market has had an unhealthy glut of first-person shooters, sports and casual titles (not that I have a problem with any of those; I enjoy them myself) at the expense of other deserving genres such as strategy.  If we can get Daisenryaku Perfect HD published here in the States it could go a long way toward encouraging developers to bring other oft-ignored gametypes out, and for strategy gamers especially it will be the biggest event in the history of consoles for the genre (yes, I'm calling this; it's a no-brainer, even against great games like R.U.S.E.).

So come on, let's make 'em hear us at Sony!  Begin posting below and let's bring Daisenryaku Perfect HD to the US and European PS3!!!!!!!!

When I took Marketing (briefly ) in college, I learned that typically a company interprets a single consumer writing or calling to express interest in a product or service as 500 people who would also purchase said product or service.  If that formula holds any truth whatsoever, then it goes without saying that your support DOES COUNT, and heavily!  If we work hard enough to spread awareness we may just hear a localization announcement on or before E3!!!  Let's bring Daisenryaku Perfect HD home, everyone!

UPDATE:  Though originally announced for both the PlayStation 3 and XBox 360, DSP HD will now be a PS3 EXCLUSIVE.

I did confirm through reading some more on the game's website that DSP HD will include a game-changing feature from DSP 3.0 for the Japanese PC: ballistic missiles!  Depending on how far a ballistic missile is from its target (they can be either launched from certain bases, ground vehicles, or submarines), it is moved automatically by the computer each turn in what is called "phases".  Ballistic missiles can immediately destroy a facility (as well as any units on it), and not all anti-air equipment can intercept them (among those that can are the Patriot, the Arrow, and the SPCH-3000).  Certain fighters and planes are also now equipped with missiles capable of downing one.

Sounds like matches will become a LOT more intense right out of the gate (and based on personal experience in DSP 3.0 I recommend that players have a gentleman's agreement not to use ballistics until AT LEAST the third round, so that everyone has a fair chance to get defenses in place (otherwise the first player has a huge and unfair advantage).

My sincere thanks to the folks at Sony for allowing our original thread to go on for as long as they did.  With their permission I intend to share MUCH more information including screen captures and possibly even gameplay video captures from my import Japanese copy after the launch there.  With lots of effort and word-of-mouth, hopefully we can gain the attention of a localization developer to make this happen!

Lastly, to each and every one of you who've participated in the Daisenryaku community here at the PlayStation forums, THANK YOU for your passion and enthusiasm.

Till next time...

F-22 Raptor

<Community Manager Edit> 

Awesome thread; just renamed the title to be no all caps, as well as use the [INFO] thread naming conventions. Thanks!

- morgan / mochuuu

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 1 of 154 (5,319 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Re: THE ALL-NEW DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD INFORMATION THREAD

Jan 15, 2014

It's back yesssss!, now I wonder if their going to put Hypersonic ICBM in the game for USA/China/Russia/Inda, and how that effect the phases, like would Hypersonic missiles go for one phase turn but other 2 or 3 turns.

Message 2 of 154 (5,299 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2014

THE REASONS IT TOOK SO LONG FOR A FINAL VERSION OF DSP HD

Some games take longer to materialize on store shelves than others, but the three-year wait just to see a final release date for Daisenryaku Perfect HD proved extremely difficult for even a community as dedicated as ours to withstand.  Remember, ours has always been a campaign to raise awareness and hopefully see an official Western, English localization for DSP HD, and with almost no new information from SystemSoft to share after that original announcement in Marsch of 2011, we had nothing to keep the discussion going aside from talking about prior iterations of the Daisenryaku series or Strategy gaming in general.

So the "Million Dollar Question" that has been on my mind and I'm sure all of yours is "WHY the delay?  And what is SystemSoft changing?".  Okay, that's TWO questions, I'll admit, but at least now we have SOME of the puzzle figured out.  So here's a bullet list of changes that I've seen thus far:

1) No XBox 360 version.  Daisenryaku Perfect HD is now a PlayStation 3 exclusive.  Frankly this isn't surprising given the fact the XBox 360 has been a dead stick in Japan pretty much since its launch there, and when the Japanese developers pulled support for it en masse a couple of years ago, that likely sealed DSP HD's fate on the system.

2) Significant changes to Multiplayer.  When DSP HD was originally announced SystemSoft's website touted its 8-player local AND online multiplayer.  Right now there is NONE OF THAT mentioned on the site.  Until either SystemSoft releases more information or I receive my import copy to evaluate, I have no real idea what this means, but the very fact such changes were made on their site means SystemSoft very likely scrapped at least the online portion of the 8-player multiplayer.

Why would they change perhaps the single most anticipated feature for the game?  Based upon an educated guess I've come to through playing PBEM matches with friends with DSP 3.0 (the Japanese Windows PC version), the answer lies in practicality.  By the time you're a few rounds into a match, each player can have upwards of 50-80 units on the map (depending on whether there's an upper unit limit), and then each of these will be moved around and engage enemy units during subsequent turns, and as they're destroyed new units will take their place.  The bottom line is, each player's individual turn can and will take upwards of 10-15 minutes to finish...all while the other players would be having to sit by their PS3s waiting.  For local multiplayer this isn't a problem because everyone can cut up, trash talk, and generally enjoy the comraderie (as my buddies and I have done countless times with DS VII for PlayStation 2).  But times this by 4 or especially 8 players online and you can easily see the problem.  The drop-out rate for matches would be awful without some sort of asymmetrical or even PBEM mechanics, and unfortunately consoles have simply never lent themselves to that.

So yes, while I'm very disappointed to see the (possible) exclusion of online multiplayer (though hopefully SystemSoft will at least still include it for 2-4 players...we'll see), I can totally understand their reasoning here.  And such a change would have been MASSIVE and affected so many things under the hood with DSP HD, it would probably be the single biggest thing they've had to work on all this time.

UPDATE: I went back to the game's website and found ONE...and ONLY one...reference to 8-player gameplay.  However, this may only refer to the upper limit of human AND AI players.  I'll keep my ear to the ground and share more as I learn it.

If I notice anything else to add to this list I will do so and edit this post accordingly.  The one thing I personally hope SystemSoft has changed (though the screenshots on their website have remained the same) are the battle cinematics, which are indeed poor going by the images.  I know, I know, those of us who enjoy these types of games don't play them for the eye candy...but anything and everything SystemSoft can do to make DSP HD more appealing to the "mainstream" will likewise do so for potential localization companies.

UPDATE:  When you mouse over the screen captures on DSP HD's website there's a box that (translated) reads "Screen is under development".  So we can hold out hope that those early screens were indeed just a work-in-progress and that the final build will look the "HD" part.

Till next time...

M1 Abrams

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 3 of 154 (5,293 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

PLEASE NOTE: This is a repost of a feature I made on the original thread.  Over the coming days I hope to be able to transfer some of the most relevant information over here so folks can have easy access to it.

DAISENRYAKU COLLOQUIALISMS: A Guide To Some of the Daisenryaku Community's Commonly Used Words and Phrases

Today I thought it would be fun to write a feature post that would be more light-hearted and provide a distraction from the seemingly eternal wait for DSP HD.  While everyone here has probably played at least one Daisenryaku title and probably enjoys Strategy in general, not everyone has experienced the absolute joys of local or online multiplayer with a group of buddies, nor the friendly banter and trash talk that inevitably rises from such matches.  There are many terms that newcomers to the series would no doubt have no idea of their meaning, so here's a short guide of sorts to some of the ones I've encountered.

Christmas Island:  This would be an island on a naval map between Red and Green players in DS VII, and when they fight over it their units make a nice "Christmasy" mix of red and green pieces all over it.  Once my group of local friends started using the phrase, it stuck to the point we'd often make the island itself in the shape of a Christmas tree.

Easter Island:  This one is much more seldomly used, but describes a mix of Blue and Yellow players' units on an island in DS VII.

Undersea Russian Coffin:  My good buddy Mike (rsvpdoom) gets the credit for this gem; it's a Kilo submarine that runs out of fuel before it resurfaces.  Mike once spent two thirds of a match trying in vain to save a Kilo in just such a situation; first it ran out of fuel while underwater one hex away from the port on an AI-controlled island he'd just captured.  He then marched a Supply Ship all the way across the map to it only to find that it couldn't refuel the submarine while it's submerged.  Mike then disbanded the Kilo in understandable frustration and sent the crew to their watery, virtual grave.

Nerfed/Neutered:  Terms used often throughout videogaming to describe something that's deliberately and/or inaccurately underpowered.  In DS VII it is most often used by players using Russia and China, who lack the Intercept capability of their NATO counterparts.

Broken/Overpowered/Unfair:  Terms used by pretty much everyone else to describe the United States in multiplayer matches of Daisenryaku, particularly DSP 3.0 (though it's also nasty in DS VII).  I love the USA's smorgasbord of awesome units, but I've had to acknowledge the discrepancy myself.  The USA's sheer balance of range, firepower, stealth, and accuracy ratings far exceeds anyone else in the game, even Russia, China, and the combined forces of the European Union.  These advantages can be overcome if you're playing against the computer, but put that arsenal in the hands of an experienced human player and having a realistic chance to win becomes almost impossible.  My local group would eventually impose special limitations on the use of America: have an all-USA match, limit the USA player more on starting funds, and so on.

Joke Unit:  A unit that's clearly fantastical and not part of the "real world".  To my knowledge there's only one "Joke Unit" available in the Daisenryaku titles, and it's an unlockable in DS VII: the Cyber Ninja of Japan.  Able to run across the map faster than a lot of recon vehicles, able to sustain probably 30-50 direct attacks from leveled-up B-2 bombers while dishing out 100% death to any unit within several hexes at almost any altitude (including ghostly spirits and lightning spells), this unit makes using the USA against France look positively fair and balanced by comparison.  In related news, Cyber Ninjas have been banned for use from all of our group's matches.

Screen:  A term used for the coverage provided by a player's Intercept-capable units.  An effective Intercept screen can effectively prevent anyone from getting aerial units into your territory...period.  Patriots and Aegis-equipped naval vessels like Ticonderogas and Kongos are the bane of Russia/China players' existence in DS VII, as their own S-300PMUs and ships inaccurately don't have the same capabilities (See above: Nerfed/Neutered).

Rolling 1s/10s:  My friend Ben (Profetius) coined this phrase to describe an occasional phenomenom our local multiplayer group has witnessed in DS VII.  Basically, from our best guess, sometimes DS VII's combat algorithms are skewed upon boot-up, resulting in sometimes frustratingly abnormal outcomes.  For instance, one player's (although sometimes all players are affected) units continuously attack other units...even comparatively weaker ones they normally own...for minimal or no damage.  This is referred to as "rolling ones".  Conversely, an attack that completely wipes out a full-health enemy unit is called "rolling a 10".  Fortunately the issue can typically be fixed by resetting the game, but the effect is so random in occurrence that it's honestly hard to say whether there's an actual glitch or if it's simply blind luck going on.

These are all that I can think of for the moment, but I'm sure that you guys must have some more terms to add.  So the floor is open!

F2.gif

Message 4 of 154 (5,273 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

DETAILS OF DSP HD EMERGE FROM PLAY-ASIA'S WEBSITE

The following is an exerpt pulled directly from Play-Asia:

Originally for the the Sony PSP, Diasenryaku Perfect HD is a modern era turn-based military simulation game that focuses on faithfully recreating the strengths and weaknesses of real life countries; players will choose from 22 different countries from around the world and embark on world domination. There are 600 units - all of which can be leveled up with increased accuracy, defense and abilities, and these are spread throughout the global map. 

As this is an upgrade, expect HD graphics and 3D cinematic movies between turns. As well, for the first time ever for this series, online multiplayer is available; 8 people can play in one session with an emphasis on allies and betrayals. As well, aside from the realistic military tech displayed, there are more fictitious units such as dragons, miniature armoured unicorns and spaceships at the players disposal within custom matches keeping things fresh. 

Last but not least, Daisenryaku Perfect HD will also feature a map editor for custom games with an editor that can change rules, weapon, nation, terrain, and units.

While not revealing much that we haven't already seen, the "miniature armored unicorns" for the Fantasy theme would seem to indicate that there may be multiple unit types specific to each theme.  Here's hoping so; that would be a huge plus NOT to be limited to F-35s and T-80s on a Space map, for example.  Smiley Happy

The description would also indicate that 8-player multiplayer is still in place, at least for local multiplayer.  Whether this is actually the case or whether Play-Asia's information is out of date remains to be seen, but for now we'll take anything positive we can.

Nimitz

Message 5 of 154 (5,259 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2014

ARCHIVE DIVE:  CONFIRMED FEATURES OF DSP HD AND DSP 3.0

Hello again everybody.   Given that a lot of you have joined the community since we last made a new entry for the FAQ, along with the fact that most here have probably never played DSP 3.0 for Japanese Windows PC or understand what features from it have been confirmed to also be in DSP HD for PS3 and XBox 360, I thought this would be a good time to re-post some old information for those who might have missed it.  This will be the first of what I hope will be several posts to help our newer members better understand the play mechanics and the units you'll be playing with or against when we finally see a release.

CONFIRMED FEATURES IN DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD

1) THE RULES CUSTOMIZATION EDITOR: 

I took the time to examine the Rules Editor screenshot (the one with the four screens) very closely and compared them against the Rules Editor in DSP 3.0...and they are a one-to-one MATCH!!!  What this means is that PS3 and XBox 360 owners will be getting the exact same Rules customization tools that up until now have only been done on the PC.  Since I know many of you are chomping at the bit to get these kinds of details, I'll get right to the good stuff, translating each screen line-by-line.

RULE TYPE                                                                OPTIONS                                               

SCREEN 1 (The Camp Screen):

Camp Intel                                                                Private or Public

Production                                                                Off or On

Distance From Capital/HQ                                         8 Hexes or Unlimited (This means that unlike in DS VII where you could only field new units close to your capital, now you'll be able to field new units anywhere you may have a base (including a captured base) on the map.  That option will obviously help to speed large-scale matches along!

Market Price                                                             Off or On Many of you will LOVE this feature; if Market Price is turned on, then when you buy weapons (ANY kind of weapon) the price to build new units will go up across the board during the next round.  Ships that normally cost $20,000 credits (in DSP 3.0 as an example) can go well over 200 percent higher in price unless you refrain from building (yes, you build an infantry unit, your ships go up in price); in other words, to over $40,000 credits.  On the flip side, if you are able to wait multiple turns without building anything new while just using your existing units, the Market Price will go back down to where you pay as little as 75 percent of the Market Value (in other words, those same ships will then cost only $15,000).  What this means is that players are rewarded for using their existing units wisely and exercising restraint when buying, and it also means that a player whose capital is in danger can't just indefinitely hold out by simply punching out high-end units to protect themselves every turn (if you've ever played a multiplayer match in DS VII where this goes on (and on and on) you'll know why this Rule could be a VERY good thing to speed things along.

Production Countdown                                             Off or On  When you order units to be built when Production Countdown is turned on, instead of the whole 10 planes (for instance) instantly being built you may only, say, get three subunits per round until the squadron is complete.  This definitely won't be for everyone as it WILL slow gameplay down, but the potential tradeoff is that players will be forced to be much more choosey about what to build.

First Turn Production                                                Off or On

Production Limit                                                       Off or On  What having a Production Limit does (it goes by a preset number that you enter before play) is limit the number of new units a player can build in a given turn; it is NOT a limit on total number of units (those can go as high as 999 in DSP 3.0, though such an astronomical figure is impractical for almost any match).  For instance, if you enter 25 as the Production Limit and you have 5 bases with 30 build/garrison slots, then five slots will be left unused for that turn.

Garrison                                                                    Off or On I haven't yet figured out all the nuances of what garrisoning your units does (though I do know that certain facilities will repair or replace subunits as well as refuel them), the typical base can hold (garrison) up to 6 units in DSP 3.0.  Your capital can also hold the same number.

Production on Adjacent Hex                                     Off or On Those of you who've played DS VII and built units in the empty hexes surrounding your capital know what this means.

Load/Deploy At Holdings                                          Off/On

Missile Phase                                                            Off/On Decides whether your ballistic missiles must take a certain number of rounds (phases) to cross a given portion of the map on the way to their target, or if you just click fire and things instantly go "Boom".

Supplying Uses Funds                                               Off/On

Supply Lines                                                             Off/On

Occupation Endurance                                              Off/On If this is turned off your infantry will instantly capture a facility of any type and size; if it's turned on, it will take a varying number of turns depending on those variables (and all the while you have to worry about your opponents trying to stop the occupation/capture if they're close by).

Holding Destruction                                                   Off/On Determines whether your facilities are destructible or not (and if not, then ballistics are GREATLY devalued in their usefulness).

Capital Destruction                                                    Off/On Self-explanatory.

Ownership of Razed Holdings                                   As Is or Neutral  If on and, say, your naval base is destroyed by a missile or bombardment, then not only must you use an Engineers team, Construction Corps, or Special Forces unit to rebuild it; you must also reclaim it as it defaults to being a neutral facility when built.  If left off, you still own the facility (even if it's a heaping pile of rubble, it's still YOUR heaping pile of rubble).

Holding Fortification                                                 Off/On I'm not yet certain on this feature but I think it allows for your Engineers and Construction Corps to actually increase the defense values of your facilities.

Defeated Faction's Holdings                                     Annexed or Neutral  If Annexed, this will play identical to DS VII when you capture an enemy capital; all of their facilities change to your color and you gain the use of them.  If left Neutral, however, then you own the capital but everything else is left as a neutral site that's up for grabs by anyone still playing!

Random Phase Order                                               Off/On Boy, this one will mess up the best-laid plans in a hurry!  I played  a trial game against 7 other AI nations in DSP 3.0 and found that this COMPLETELY RANDOMIZES the order of player turns, EVERY SINGLE ROUND.  You might go twice in a row by going last and then first, or end up having to wait what seems like an eternity if you happen to go first and then last (and with all of the other players getting to move twice before you do, that can put you in a bad situation VERY fast).

Continue Phase Order                                              Off/On This is a "sub-rule" of sorts tied to the one above; I haven't tried it yet but I think when they're both turned on the first round has a randomized turn order, and then the subsequent rounds continue with that same order.  This would eliminate the need to roll that dice (or however your group decides) for turn order, in theory.

Supply Phase                                                           Off/On Determines if the computer automatically resupplies your units for you or if you do it manually (for expediency's sake, I think this one's a no-brainer).

SCREEN 2 (Units Screen):

Unit Stacking                                                            Off/On Lets you place planes, helicopters, and ground units directly over/under each other on the same hex if turned on.  If left off, the game will play like older versions of the Daisenryaku series where only one unit could occupy a hex, period.

Zone of Control                                                         Off/On I# explained this one in the main post, but if turned on this allows for your units to stop or slow the movement of any enemy units which are attempting to move around them.  This especially applies to ground units of all types, but helicopters can also use ZOC against ground units.

Usable Weapon for Zone of Control                         Needed or Not Needed Determines whether your units must have ammunition for a weapon capable of attacking a given enemy unit that's trying to bypass it.

Detection                                                                   Off/On  Mostly this simply means line of sight/fog of war when you're viewing the map during your turn, but it also means whether the default settings for each unit are applicable as far as its detection range.

Detection By Altitude                                                 Off/On Turning this on more realistically affects which units can see, for instance, a high-flying unit such as a spy plane.

Concealment                                                             Off/On Lets you hide your infantry and other ground units in ambush among terrain such as forests and thickets.  A potential game-changer!

Loading Restrictions                                                  Off/On Determines whether you must comply with a transport's load type restrictions or not when transporting other units.

Unit Replacement                                                      Off/On

Unit Repair                                                                Off/On

Fatigue                                                                      Off/On For seriously hardcore simulation buffs only!

Experience Gain                                                        Off/On

Minimum Fuel Consumption                                      1/2 or 1/4

Merge Units                                                                Off/On Allows you to merge the subunits of two damaged units of the same type together into a new unit.  This will affect things like Experience, Ammunition, and other things, so be mindful of that.

Disperse Units                                                             Off/On Allows you to break up the subunits of a unit into smaller fragments; about the only use for it that I can readily think of is when you're really desperate to keep ZOC and you're running low on units to block your opponent's advance.

High-Speed Movement                                                Off/On Works the same as in DS VII, your "normal" movement range will be shown by a field of neutrally-colored hexes (I think they are green in DS VII if I recall correctly) while outside of that are bright-colored (Red in DS VII) hexes showing how far the unit can go if pushed to the limit.  This can save your bacon if you need to double-time to a position, but beware!  For each hex that you push your unit into the red, you consume twice the fuel, and this can be especially deadly to aircraft (which, if they run out of fuel, simply crash.  Can I get a witness?).

SCREEN 3 (Attacking Rules):

Interception                                                               Off/On Having this on allows for any units with the Intercept capability to automatically fire on any applicable incoming enemy units (for instance, your Patriots are great for stonewalling enemy aircraft and cruise missiles).  You don't have to do anything; the AI is simulating an automated defense system (AEGIS-equipped naval vessels are another example of intercept-capable units, and can be absolute DEATH to enemy planes and copters that an opposing player moves in without knowing they're there).

Critical Hits                                                                Off/On  Can give your unit a random chance of scoring devastating damage when attacking.

Misfires                                                                      Off/On Self-explanatory, but these can be maddening if they happen to you at a crucial juncture during a match.

Friendly Fire                                                              Off/On Used to unleashing your multi-hex-attacking ATACMS or Smerches against your opponents who are attempting to breach your front lines with no threat to your own units who are mixed in with them?  Time to man up and play like you're in the REAL world, where there are consequences!  This was one shortcoming of DS VII that I'm very glad to see addressed.

Encirclement Bonus                                                   Off/On

Preemptive Attack                                                      Off/On  You know that enemy Raptor that you used to be able to just fly up to and shoot before having to endure its counter-attack?  With Preemptive Attack turned on, that Raptor and its 9-hex-range missiles will give you a nice, warm, incendiary greeting as you approach (its air-to-air missiles have the longest range in the game, so any enemy fighter must move to within its own maximum firing range to attack).  No longer having "the drop" on certain units as you move yours in for the attack will forever change the way you look at turn-based strategy.

Blind Fire                                                                    Off/On This feature allows you to shoot blindly at hexes outside your line of sight.  "I shoot my Iowa class' main guns into the air, where they'll land I know not where...but woe to any poor schmuck who happens to be standing there!"

SCREEN 4 (Alliances):

Allied Base Production                                               Off/On

Allied base (Sub-unit) Replacement                          Off/On

Allied Base Repair                                                      Off/On The difference between this rule and the one above is that your individual damaged sub-units are repaired; the Replacement would enable the replacement of entire destroyed sub-units.

Allied Base Rearm                                                       Off/On

Attack/Occupy Allies                                                    Off/On I know this one will bring a sly grin to some of your faces!

Whew, that's A LOT of rules to list there, folks!  As you can see, the Rules Editor has more depth than we've ever seen before, and if it's in any way indicative of what the other customization tools hold, I may NEVER take this game out of my PlayStation 3 if we get it here!

Commence drooling, everyone!

UNIT PROPERTIES And SPECIAL TRAITS

edit_heiki.png

TOP TO BOTTOM:

First Row:  Night Vision speaks for itself.  The Perfect series does simulate time of day, so certain units are equipped with night vision.

Intercept means whether a unit can make a preemptive attack on an enemy unit that enters its range of fire.  AEGIS-equipped ships and ground-to-air missile systems like the Patriot can intercept incoming aircraft and missiles.  Certain fighter planes can also intercept other aircraft.

Supply means whether a unit is capable of resupplying other units.

Lay Road is a very specialized skill that I think (don't quote me on this) is limited strictly to Construction Corps.

Second Row:  Stealth Lv. means whether the unit is equipped with stealth technology to impede enemy detection and targeting.

ECM Lv. means whether the unit can employ Electronic Counter Measures to scramble enemy radar and disable other equipment.

Capture means this unit can capture facilities.

De-mine L means this unit can detect and remove mines from the Land (as this group of Combat Engineers can).

Third Row:  Hide Lv. means a unit's ability to conceal itself in woods or other environments for ambush.  Being a type of infantry, it's doable for Combat Engineers, as you can see.

Jamming means the unit can impede radio communication and radar (somewhat similar in effect to ECM but much less damaging to equipment).

Rebuild means the unit can repair damaged facilities and bridges (as these Combat Engineers specialize in doing).

Demine S means (at least I BELIEVE it does) a ship or other unit capable of removing mines from the water, or Sea.

Fourth Row:  Sub Lv. is hard to say exactly; but it probably means the ability of a unit, such as a submarine, to Submerge.

Ranged simply means whether the unit can make a ranged (non-adjacent) attack.

Raze means the unit can destroy a facility or holding completely.

Resupply L means resupplying Land units.

Fifth Row:  Armor (Soft)  means infantry or non-vehicular types of armor, like body armor.

Self Destruct is a new concept to Daisenryaku, but one our world has unfortunately come to know all too well via the suicide attacks of Al Queda and other terrorist factions.  There are indeed units in the game such as suicide trucks for certain Middle Eastern nations, which will drive into your forces and self-detonate to take as many with them as possible.

Fortify means the unit can fortify its position or even build a Temporary Base.

Resupply A means Resupplying aircraft.

Sixth Row:  Transport means whether this unit can transport others.

Transform refers to specialized units like ICBMs, which start out on trucks but have to be deployed in launch tubes set into the ground.

Lay Bridge refers to specialized units like bridge layers.

Resupply S means Resupply Sea units.

Seventh Row:  Lander could mean a naval landing craft like an assault ship.

Airborne may mean the unit is designed specifically as an aerial transport.

Build means the unit's ability to literally make new facilities.

I know I couldn't definitively explain everything here, but I did my level best.  Hopefully as we learn more I'll be able to define things more clearly.  Hope it's enough to help!

Message 6 of 154 (5,214 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Jan 17, 2014
any chance this will be released in North America?
Message 7 of 154 (5,199 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

Jan 17, 2014

Welcome to the thread, kknd2002!

To answer your question, there has been an extensive and still ongoing effort to get Daisenryaku Perfect HD localized for English-speaking audiences.  Our biggest obstacle to date has been the three-year delay on SystemSoft Alpha's end to get the Japanese version released; Western localization specialists must have a final, playable copy to evaluate before making a decision whether to bring a game over.  Now that the Japanese version is finally about to come out, whoever may be looking to do so will likely be getting their evaluation copies.  Then, we cross our fingers and hope they like what they see.

For now all I can say is that we've been in contact with a lot of developers, sending letters, joining forums, and dropping a good word for DSP HD and the Daisenryaku series wherever we can to raise awareness.  And I do believe that some companies will indeed be giving this game a very serious look, especially given the passion and presence of this community.

So YES, there's definitely a chance DSP HD will be released in North America (and possibly other iterations of Daisenryaku as well for platforms like Steam; we've been BUSY trying to make devs aware that there's a serious market for this series, which has nothing remotely similar on the Western market).  While I'm still guardedly optimistic, this community and its efforts have been phenomenal and believe me, a lot of developers KNOW ABOUT the demand for this game here.

Thanks again and please don't be a stranger!  Anyone and everyone is welcome to join the community and share their hopes for and thoughts on the Daisenryaku series!

AH-1 Cobra

Message 8 of 154 (5,197 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

Jan 17, 2014

UPDATE REGARDING Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Tora Tora Tora Ware Kishuu Ni Seikou Seri

As some of you already know, since the announcement for DSP HD, SystemSoft Alpha announced and has since released an all-new World War II version of the Daisenryaku series for both the PlayStation 3 and then the Japanese PC.  While its title,  Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Tora Tora Tora Ware Kishuu Ni Seikou Seri, is a mouthful, SystemSoft Alpha finally replaced this game's teaser page with a fully functioning webpage complete with details.  I'll do my best to share everything I can here, though translating all this material may take some time.

Already I can tell that not only will the PlayStation 3 version have all the features of the earlier versions; it appears there have been some additions made.  There will be over 100 maps, each replayable in single player mode once they've been beaten.  The game seems to have adopted a map aesthetic fairly similar to DSP HD's, as the screens below indicate:

This image depicts the Battle of Midway and obiously indicates there will be some seriously naval-centric maps.

Here is the "Battle of the Bismarck Sea" map.

The box in the right-center of the first screen above should be very familiar (and a very welcome sight) to anyone who's played DSP 3.0.  Yes, it appears this game will retain the same basic gameplay interface!

As shown by the comparison screens with earlier versions shown above, both the maps and the battle cinematics have received a visual overhaul.

The main campaign obviously centers around the Japanese, and depending on how quickly you progress through a particular battle it may branch into several "What if" scenarios, even a Japanese invasion of the Soviet Union!  However, you can also play as the United States for a full campaign to get both angles of the war (this feature alone could greatly help this game's chances of coming to the West)!

As previously indicated, there will indeed be over 1,000 different vehicles and units to see and use.  Check out some of the unit models below (which may just give an indication of what we'll be seeing from DSP HD once SystemSoft takes the cover off of its changes):

The A6M Zero

The F6F Grumman Wildcat, one of the better carrier-based US planes of the war

The "Fugaku" bomber (this is from Google Translate so the actual translated name may be different)

The B-29 Superfortress

The M4 Sherman medium tank.  I have to admit, if DSP HD's models show this kind of detail I'll be tickled to death.

The Stuart light tank of the US (and some allies)

The battleship Yamato

A Nevada-class battleship

A Chinese Type 97 Medium tank

A nice cross-section collage of several other units.  Some iconic (and nasty) ones in there!

As you gain experience for your units (which apparently carries over from battle to battle, encouraging you to try to keep them alive), not only will they become more effective but you'll also receive upgraded models or entirely new, more powerful units throughout the campaign.  The cool thing is that you'll be able to choose when and whether to make such upgrades.  You'll also be able to assign exactly which units you want to the map before a battle begins.

THE BATTLE CINEMATICS

Okay, we all know this is a key sticking issue to why SystemSoft Alpha likely delayed DSP HD.  So how does this game stack up (because it may well indicate how far the cinematics in DSP HD have come as well)?

Not spectacular, but certainly not an eyesore either.

While they're fighting in bare desert terrain, the approach shown here seems pretty minimalist in detail.

Screenshots [01]

Now that's kinda pretty.

Screenshots [01]

Two massive ships exchange fire on the high seas.

Screenshots [01]

Nice cinematic angle here.

Screenshots [06]

Ah, the underwater submarine looks great!

Screenshots [01]

This urban warfare cinematic may be scant on peripheral detail, but it definitely serves its purpose and looks a lot better than those initial cities shown in early DSP HD screenshots.

Screenshots [01]

Looks like you'll get to fight in a wide variety of environments and conditions.

Screenshots [01]

AAA engaging enemy aircraft (and yes, those ARE German Me-262 jet fighters)!

Screenshots [07]

Again, not spectacular, but these visuals certainly are not the obstacle to seeing this game localized that the early DSP HD cinematics were.  Although most of us here prioritize gameplay over graphics, this is a vital consideration as to whether we'll get to see these games come to our shores.

Screenshots [01]

Another pretty top down aerial shot.

Screenshots [04]

This B-29 just made its last sortie.

Screenshots [01]

Dogfights now appear to be more appropriately chaotic than earlier Daisenryaku games have allowed for, with opposing aircraft actually crossing paths and mixing it up.

Screenshots [01]

Japanese Shinden fighters; these were late war prototypes that never saw mass combat but would have been nasty opponents.

Screenshots [01]

So pretty...

Screenshots [09]

The title screen

And as you can see by the image above, the Limited Edition will indeed include a full color, 200-page Strategy Guide complete with maps, vehicle stats and more!

The site also mentions that there will be ongoing DLC being released for this game.  The teaser silhouettes shown below indicate that there will be a wide variety of exclusive (and exotic to WWII's original timeline) units added.  Also, as you can see by the silhouettes of the add-on "generals", some aspects of the DLC may well take on a distinctly "Advance Wars" flavor.  Though so far there's unfortunately no indication of multiplayer nor of any Editors, perhaps they may be added at some point, particularly if the response to DSP HD's multiplayer and Editor features warrant it.  Hopefully any DLC would also be localized should a developer take a chance on the game here.

Well, that's everything I can pull together for now.  Hope everyone enjoyed the preview.  Please share what you think of the game based on what we know so far; would you purchase it if it came here in English?  As is the case with DSP HD, I've already been in contact with localization developers in hopes that both the PS3 and PC (Steam?) versions might come here.  Hey, they obviously can't complain about the visuals being a turn-off now, right?

Tico.gif

Message 9 of 154 (5,165 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jan 21, 2014

So do we have any indications that there will be a localized version of the WWII Daisenryaku game (full name is way too long!), if so would it be more or less likely for this game to come out in a localized version before DSP (which by the isn't even supposed to come out in Japan until February)?

Message 10 of 154 (5,083 Views)
0 Likes