Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Re: THE ALL-NEW DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD INFORMATION THREAD

Mar 2, 2014

@AtlanteanMan

Will do! And as impossible as it may come to be, I'm hoping to find a script translation of the story as it progresses OR at the very least a method of interpretation as the characters speak and offer briefings and such....we'll see how that goes! Any advice an that from anyone here would be more than helpful. Perhaps Jack can offer some methods to the madness.

@cpl_trim

Gendai Dai Senryaku looks great. Unfortunately I never grabbed myself a PSP. (I follow the consoles more, and just stick with my basic NDS line and a laptop for portable gaming). HOWEVER!! I could see myself going to find a used PSP just for something like this in the future before they all disappear from the backroom of all the gamesters. Thanks for the info!

Message 91 of 154 (926 Views)
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Haven't been around in some time and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in what we've received (DSP HD) after all of this time but it finally was released so there's always that. After reading AtlanteanMan's review of the game I think I'll stay away from DSP HD and save my money for a much more deserving game. It's saddens me considering how long I've been looking forward to this game (3 years now?) and all of the fond memories I have of Advanced War 2001 and DS VII.

But I do have to say though that SSA's other anounced DS game looks extremely promising and I want to thank this community, especially AtlanteanMan, for bringing it to my attention. In the very least it looks like a polished effort on SSA's behalf and not some half-assed port of a PSP game.

Also, thanks to Desert_ Archer for linking me to the new thread. I'd had been looking for it off and on for the past couple of months and could never find the old DS thread lol.

Eternal Lord sig
Message 92 of 154 (909 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Great to see you back, Eternal_Lord!  We've really missed your input here.  Please don't be a stranger; pull up a chair and feel free to jump back into the discussion!  Smiley Happy

AH-1 Cobra

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 93 of 154 (893 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Yes, thank you for the information everyone. I went ahead and got Perfect 3.0 for the PC - it's been awesome.

Message 94 of 154 (887 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

Mar 3, 2014

Congratulations on the purchase of DSP 3.0, VeranKai; believe me, it'll provide YEARS of superb enjoyment!  Smiley Happy

Nimitz

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 95 of 154 (877 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 8, 2014

WHAT'S NEXT (and when)?

NOTE TO THE MODERATOR:  If you would, please send a copy of this post to the powers-that-be at Sony (and if at all possible, your in-house development teams and third-parties).  I would consider it a huge favor on behalf of our community.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer in this matter, and a sincere "Thank you" to Sony for allowing our community to have this thread here.

Over the past week, as time has allowed things to sink in, I've had a difficult time wrestling with the issue of transitioning from a thread that's been about campaigning for and sharing (what precious little) information we could learn about DSP HD for the past three years to a thread that is now looking back on the Japanese release...especially given what we learned.  In all honesty I haven't turned my PS3 on in days; 3 years ago I could never have dreamed of feeling so apathetic toward this game, so disappointed in how SystemSoft treated it (and the series' fans), so frustrated, and so betrayed.  I know I promised images and videos, but every time I look at this game I realize there is literally nothing I WANT to share, nothing I feel is WORTHY to share.  Indeed my friend and fellow member Mike (rsvpdoom) laughingly dismissed DSP HD upon viewing it in my living room and walked away.

You could say the air has been completely sucked out of the room.

I wanted so much better to come of this, and genuinely felt that in the end DSP HD would live up to that desire.  I wanted each and every member of this community to have another Daisenryaku title in their own language to play and enjoy.  I wanted a turn-based Strategy title that would prove to the industry and fellow "mainstream" gamers that there's amazing, cerebral entertainment to be had outside of games that involve shooting, extreme violence, and generally dystopian or post-apocalyptic themes, that would be an ambassador for the entire genre, that could prove such games can and will be PROFITABLE if handled correctly.  I STILL want that, and to be frank I'm TICKED at this entire, lazy, profit-at-the-expense-of-originality-and-creativity videogame industry, and none more so than pretty much the only company that's ever given us (and THAT indirectly as the games in question had to be localized) turn-based Strategy games of this depth on consoles: SystemSoft Alpha.  For three YEARS we've had one of the largest and most active communities on ANY industry forum, discussing not just Daisenryaku but Strategy (turn-based and real-time) in general, JRPGs, SRPGs, and other genres we've watched die a quiet death on this side of the Pacific.

There ARE people in the videogame industry who are aware (certainly at Sony, I would think, this being their boards) of the passion and size of this community.  But what did all of our effort accomplish?

1) No major retail console Strategy game since the RTS R.U.S.E. in 2010...almost 4 full YEARS ago now.

2) The elimination of "Strategy" as a category here in the US PlayStation Forums.  The thread was moved to "Brain-Teasers" (obviously for lack of a better match).  And this one sits squarely in the "General" category.  That alone should tell you all you need to know about the state of genre variety in the modern videogame industry.  If it doesn't involve kill counts and lots of eye candy, it isn't deemed worthy of making.

3) This one hurts the most.  When we DID finally get the import version of DSP HD we all were hoping would be the catalyst toward bringing an English version here to the West, we found a game that was, from a quality standpoint, every bit as poor as its "mainstream" detractors ridiculed it as being back when it was announced.  It's flawed enough, in my humble belief, to have been an impediment to the long-term chances of future Strategy titles being developed for consoles had it BEEN localized.

We live in a time where consoles can generate worlds, characters, and algorithms of unprecedented complexity and detail, visual and otherwise.  A hardware generation of Skyrims, Dragon Age: Inquisitions, Battlefields, of Wargames, of Civilization Vs, Age of Wonders IIIs, and lots more that can be eerily photorealistic or surreal as the need arises.  There are two inarguable FACTS about this situation:

1) There is NO PLACE for quality as poor as what I've seen with DSP HD anymore, including the visuals.  Yeah, we don't play these games for the eye candy and all that, I KNOW...but we also demand better than to be thrown garbage just to have something Strategy-related to play on consoles.  The genre's ability to sell ISN'T the problem (just look at Halo Wars); it's how the videogame industry has treated these kinds of games when they DO get made that's a turn-off for so many gamers.

DSP HD and Wargame Merge.png

2) All those games I mentioned a moment ago...they can be found on the PC as well as the PlayStation 3/4 or XBox 360/One, and on a high-end machine they look at least as good if not better.

Oh, and here's a THIRD fact that I forgot to mention: those last three games...like so many others on the PC/Steam/Origin platform...are Strategy titles.  While Sony and Microsoft have been so busy with FPSes and "eye candy" (mostly sequels/spinoffs to existing established and "safe" franchises) the past several years that they've deemed nothing else worth making, the PC, once deemed a dying platform only a few years ago, has become the home of all those abandoned genres, including Strategy games like the Wargame series and Civilization V that range from beautiful to breathtaking.  And more are on the way, including Galactic Civilizations III and the aforementioned Age of Wonders III.  The PC is giving longtime hobbyists BOTH the same eye candy "mainstream" stuff AND the genre variety we want (and often at prices that consoles simply aren't matching).  The PC is experiencing a wholesale revival while simultaneously there's a quiet concern that the console side of the industry is now the one possibly facing extinction within a few years as everything they offer is being done on other devices.  As always, it comes down to the GAMES and offering the most value and variety for gamers' money...and consoles are being horse-whipped on even that very front (maybe if online and diversifying into streaming media, internet surfing, and all the other fluff hadn't happened, they'd still be the best at the one thing they were always MEANT to specialize in).

And in related news, I still haven't found a reason to purchase a PlayStation 4 or XBox One yet.  Lots of others feel the exact same way.  Go figure.

In a world with hardware that can make such amazing games, surely there HAS to be some room available for research and development of more gametypes as opposed to what gets made being dictated solely by its expected "Platinum" sales status or its compatability with the "add-on gizmo of the week".  There has to be room for a TRULY "perfect" turn-based military simulator where players can test each others' skills locally or online, with visuals that will bring newer, graphics-jaded gamers into the fold.  Why does the most advanced generation of consoles to date feel like the End of the Road for me as a hobbyist instead of an upcoming Golden Age?

It doesn't have to be that way.  But the console videogame industry has to take a long, hard look at itself and put a stop to the shallow theatrics of recent E3s.  Gamers have begun to see through it.  We want more, we want BETTER than a rehash of last year's third sequel.  We want the same genre variety, creativity, and originality at the retail level that only Indies typically dare offer anymore.

For now, my muse is calling me back to writing my webcomic, which I've been pretty much ignoring since I restarted this thread (and the recent move certainly didn't help).  I have to get a lot of things back on track with my life from a routine standpoint.  I have to go for now.

But I'll be watching over the goings-on both with the Daisenryaku series, with this community (please keep the flame going, guys!), and with the videogame industry and the hobby I've loved and supported for so long.  And if I see anything I feel is noteworthy or worth sharing/remarking about, you can bet I'll be right back here to do so.  If any of you need to reach me, please shoot me a message through my PSN account here and I'll respond as soon as I see it.

Take care everyone, and God bless.  I've made a lot of great friendships here, and that more than anything has made this endeavor worthwhile.

こんごう

Message 96 of 154 (825 Views)
Splicer
35 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 7, 2014

Hello AtlanteanMan... I totally agree with your statement above!

At the end of the story, if you want to play some strategy games... you need to use a PC!

In effect, I just bought one instead of a PS4... enough of BF, COD and AC!!!!!!!!

Due to our fellow gamers review of the game in this tread plus a bad feeling of "dejavu" based on the pics from SS webpage and a lack of other info and video on the webz, I decided to pass over this title! I'll reconsider buying this game ONLY if come over our shore... but I doubt about it! I'll keep playing DSP on my PSP and PC!!!

I'm dissapointed with SS, porting the game from a lesser console and don't update the game with content for the big bro... sound terrible and a total lack of commitment to a great game and his fans!!!!!

Quick note for everyone... if you look at the games released for PSP, there are a LOT of strategy games... trust me! Smiley Wink 

Message 97 of 154 (796 Views)
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Mar 9, 2014

AtlanteanMan wrote:

1) No major retail console Strategy game since the RTS R.U.S.E. in 2010...almost 4 full YEARS ago now.

While the pickings have been extremely slim on the console front, that's not an entirely accurate statement.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown and it's expansion Enemy Within are some of the finest example of turn-based strategy games around and they were released 2012 & 2013 respectively.

Pikmin 3 continues Nintendo excellent real time strategy series on the Wii-U having been released last summer.

Carrier Command Gaea Mission was released on the 360 in 2012 and is a mixture of real time strategy and first person shooting; the player deploys various units in traditional RTS fashion that can be directly controlled at any time.

On the handheld front there's the critically acclaimed turn-based strategy/RPG Fire Emblem Awakening (2013) from the developers of Advance Wars (when the hell are we getting another one of those!?) and the underrated, but still solid, turn-based strategy game Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars from Julian Gollop of  X-COM fame.

Last but not least, and my personal favorite of the bunch is Skulls of the Shogun released on the 360's XBLA early last year. It's a turned based strategy game in the vein of Advance Wars but utilizes a free-roaming movement system that does away with the typical grid system most TBS use. 

Like I said, slim pickin's for sure but they're out there. Hopefully this new console generation will usher in some more strategy games onto consoles in the coming years.

Eternal Lord sig
Message 98 of 154 (764 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

@Eternal_Lord,

I should clarify what I meant by "Strategy" in this case: a specifically military-themed tactical simulator, turn-based or real-time.  I know that SRPGs (the category most of the titles you mentioned fall into) are often lumped into the same mold by the industry and lots of gamers, but I feel the differences are stark enough to warrant their being considered separate.  SRPGs are very much story and character-centered, whereas pure military Strategy (outside of historical sims like WWII titles) offer a minimum of story/background and focus purely on the gameplay mechanics. 

Please note that I LOVE SRPGs as well (Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.), and to be frank they too have seen a steady decline and at times brutally unfair treatment on consoles (Valkyria Chronicles's poor sales right after its launch was due to Sega's lack of interest in bothering to market it; the fan popularity the series enjoys now is due solely to word-of-mouth and the secondary market).  Indeed fans of those franchises have been fighting a very similar struggle to this community's (like the Shining Force Central fan community, whose members actually have fully translated all 3 Scenarios of the Saturn classic Shining Force III to English).  But like us, their passion and pleas for more games (even some of the most beloved and successful SRPG franchises ever, like Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics) typically fall on deaf ears.

Lastly, my definition of "console": by that I mean the living room hardware that plays on your television.  Again, I feel it's very important to distinguish between that and portables like the PSP and 3DS (both of which have excellent libraries full of old school-type genres that are rarely seen on consoles anymore).  I own both a PSP and a 3DS and like you I love Fire Emblem: Awakening, the Advance Wars series, and Valkyria Chronicles II.  But having been almost exclusively a home console gamer since the Atari 2600/NES/Master System days up until a generation or two ago, I saw a pattern developing that I really didn't like: Strategy, SRPGs, JRPGs, Schmups, Puzzlers, basically anything that was no longer considered "mainstream" began to be developed almost exclusively for portable systems.  In other words, the industry no longer saw them as "good or profitable enough" for consoles.  Maybe it's the memories of lying on the floor or couch playing the likes of Final Fantasy III (SNES), LUNAR, Phantasy Star IV, and Panzer Dragoon Saga until the Sun came up, but I simply don't get that same feeling playing on a portable screen (and holding even a 3DS for extended periods begins to weigh on your hands and thumbs).

As these genres have been relegated to portables or found refuge on the PC, the platform that made me fall in love with the videogaming hobby...home consoles...is dying a quiet death creatively and from a genre variety standpoint.  Those great single-player experiences and storylines that spanned dozens of hours (or more), those overnights with friends and family playing local multiplayer matches of GoldenEye 007, Virtua Tennis, Mario Kart, LAN matches of Halo...and I'd be remiss not to mention the countless HUNDREDS of hours spent playing DS VII with my local friends in the same room...online was a Trojan Horse that's made them all but a thing of the past, because the industry came to the realization that any time gamers were spending offline was time they couldn't control them or their purchase beyond the point of sale (DLC, Always Online, requiring "premium" memberships to play online multiplayer, etc.).  Yeah, it sounds draconian, but it is what it is; the cold, heartless "practicality" of modern capitalism, aka GREED.

All this said, I believe we are fighting a losing battle to keep the home console platform (at least the one most of this community would care to have anything to do with) alive.  Sure, there are still portable systems and the PC, but even those will never fully replace those awesome memories I had on my couch either alone or with friends...and I can't help but feel sad about that.

Thanks though for your observation; there are indeed still games out there (I have really loved Pikmin 3!) that do occasionally remind us of those bygone days.  I just wish there were MORE of them.

M1 Abrams

Message 99 of 154 (765 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Mar 12, 2014

Not to mention the potentially aggravating tediousness of having to upgrade your PC every few years and some of the high end models for individual components (i.e; graphics cards) can actually cost more than a next gen console.

Message 100 of 154 (744 Views)
0 Likes