Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Re: [INFO] Daisenryaku Perfect HD

Feb 15, 2014

Hey everyone! The new thread looks good. Glad ot be back everyone, I've some catching up to do!

Message 51 of 154 (480 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2014

Welcome back Desert_Archer!  We've missed you around here!  Smiley Happy

It's great to see more and more longtime community members returning to rejoin the discussion.  And don't look now, but our new thread is already 6 pages deep with well upwards of 700 views and 50 posts as of this writing.  That speaks volumes for the passion and staying power of the Daisenryaku and turn-based/real-time Strategy fan base. 

Console game developers, you should be taking notice; this great genre deserves FAR better than not even to have its own category in the entire US PlayStation forums.  It's just a microcosm of how the videogame industry in general has treated anything that isn't "mainstream" or sequelized to death for at least an entire console generation now.

M109A6 パラディン

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 52 of 154 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Feb 15, 2014

SO! I'm just going to jump right in here two feet first and I want to talk about the first thing that came to mind;  Balance.

I am currently having issues with a certain 64 bit operating system that rhymes with 'oh-boy-I-wish-I wouldn't-have-upgraded,' so, hooked back up my Sega Saturn out of frustration and loaded up Iron Storm (among other great games).  I began a campaign and I realized something that keeps me coming back to Iron Storm ever after all these years. I can still sit and just play through any pre-gen mission (including the historic skirmish maps). That reason being, is balance.

Although you can't do any sort of map editing or customization outside of the music you listen to while playing, Smiley Tongue the game has near perfect maps and well thought out starting base locations and available units/money. I struggled a bit with the PS2 Daisenryaku to some degree because it didn't seem to have as much emphasis on balancing out the campaign. Most of the way through the game I felt like my method hasdn't changed much to achieve victories; turtle, turtle some more, save up cash, build a mega force and then go stomping northward across the map easily punching the AI into a corner. Aside from the short comings of the campaign, the multiplayer was INCREDIBLE fun it you didn't mind the tight maps, which we didn't.

Hopefully you all get to experience Iron Storm, it is a wonderful WWII war sim game and worth tracking down. I think my favorite mechanic in the game is that the WWII era bombers (B-17's B-25's etc) aren't allowed to drop their big payload if it is raining/thunderstorming. I can't tell you how many times I was able to sneak around on land and avoid instant death because of the weather hahaa.

In the latest Daisenryaku for PS3 I hope to see a well thought out single player campaign involving many factions and many "choose your own adventure" type is results you can get from achieving different battle outcomes (ie: win objectives that direct you to the next specific scenario).

Message 53 of 154 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

Feb 15, 2014

There's no question that Iron Storm (which was my introduction to the Daisenryaku series) is one of the most refined games mechanically speaking in the series and still very much a classic.  The new PlayStation 3/PC WWII-era Daisenryaku title likewise takes you through campaigns with the USA, Japan, or Germany and features hundreds of real-life units; hopefully we'll see a release of it here in the West!

こんごう

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 54 of 154 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 19, 2014

I just wanted to bump the thread and give a quick update on my move; we'll be getting everything started with the physical move tomorrow morning.  My copy of DSP HD was shipped out from Yes-Asia this morning and should arrive at my new address after we've already settled in sometime during next week.

Most of my stuff, including my Cintiq pen, is put up in boxes for now but once I'm moved in and have the opportunity, I have a Feature article in mind that I think should inspire a lot of discussion both passionate and humorous.  And of course as soon as I can get my PS3 unboxed with my fresh new import copy of DSP HD, I'll be sharing every detail, image, and hopefully video capture I can.

Please stay tuned!

Nimitz

Message 55 of 154 (435 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 20, 2014

First, let me just say thank you so much for all your hard work and dedication AtlanteanMan. It's so appreciated.

So a U.S. release of Daisenryaku Perfect HD? Sign me up as a someone who would buy this. Not only is the genre too neglected as pointed out in previous posts, but this game specifically is a gem that I also believe can capture the imagination of gamers beyond the niche followers.

The features I really am drooling to use include the ballistic missiles, more exhaustive country list and balance fixing for the Intercept ability.  Add the expansive unit/production type editor onto all the series updates and it's a game that makes my wonderful copy of Daisenryaku VII feel incomplete now.

Hear our pleas localization developers! My wife and I anxiously await the news that we can buy Daisenryaku Perfect HD in English.

Message 56 of 154 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Yes moving is quite the drain on the wallet, the back, and the time. But it is usually always worth it in the end. I will be ordering my copy of DSP WW2 here soon. Once I get that I'll definitely up for some translation efforts and such. I'm just hoping that this is the year that the game really gets pulled over here for us all to enjoy, it has been to long.

I just want to throw out there that live multi PvP with full voice chat and large scale maps would be awesome.... unless of course. The way to handle that would be to have the AI just take over dropped players, or incorporate a save/continue later feature. just my two cents Smiley Happy

Message 57 of 154 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Feb 21, 2014

VeranKai     Welcome aboard friend!

I'm curious to know what war games you've played in the past (versions of Daisenryaku) and what you are getting into these days?  I always like to dig because this is one of those games that only a select few know about! (that needs to change though)

Message 58 of 154 (395 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 21, 2014

@ Desert_Archer

Thanks! My Daisenryaku experience is admittedly more limited than a lot of other people as eager about the new release. Most of my time has been playing VII (on the Xbox long, long ago when a friend let me borrow it for a bit, and recently as I'm getting back into it with Exceed on the PS2).

My gaming interests are pretty varied - from PC to console, new to retro, strategy to sports. Apart from Exceed I've been playing a lot of Gladius again (man another game I'd love a remake/newer version). For military tbs I've been dabbling in my John Tiller's Campaign Series collection again too.

I agree though - having never heard of Daisenryaku until a co-worker let me borrow it, and seeing the changing directions in the gaming industry, more awareness is needed :-)

Message 59 of 154 (396 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Welcome to the community, VeranKai!  It's awesome to see new and old faces popping up with such regularity here the past week or so.  Please make yourself at home and fell free to share stories, insights, whatever!  Smiley Happy

It's about 2 am here right now and I wanted to take one last chance to check my e-mails and swing by here.  I'm about halfway through the moving process right now and tomorrow my ISP service will be cut off and replaced (Charter should be at my new place around late afternoon).  Which means I'll have a new e-mail and have a lot of re-configuring all my consoles and devices ahead of me.  I'll check back in as soon as I can, but it's hard to say exactly when.  You'll know when I pop up again!  Smiley Happy

F-2

Message 60 of 154 (389 Views)
0 Likes