Wastelander
633 posts

Re: [INFO] Daisenryaku Perfect HD

Feb 27, 2014

@Neoprime666,

While you're here I have a few key questions:

1)  I have my translated Production Types and am close to being done with translating the necessary units to English (I say "necessary" because there aren't enough open slots to literally duplicate all 600-plus default units, so I've been skipping acronym-based units like the BDRMs, K1s, and so on).  The problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to figure out how to match custom Production Types with custom units; no matter what I do I can't find them in each other's menus.  Any workarounds you've seen thus far?  It'd be pointless to bother with all the translation if the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing within the game.

2)  Is there a Spacebar key in the Unit Editor?  I searched high and low and finally had to give up and use the Underscore _ symbol.

3)  While we're on the subject of transferring save files, do you think this can be done?

Thanks for any info you can offer!  Smiley Happy

M1 Abrams

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 71 of 154 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Feb 27, 2014

AtlanteanMan wrote:

@Neoprime666,

While you're here I have a few key questions:

1)  I have my translated Production Types and am close to being done with translating the necessary units to English (I say "necessary" because there aren't enough open slots to literally duplicate all 600-plus default units, so I've been skipping acronym-based units like the BDRMs, K1s, and so on).  The problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to figure out how to match custom Production Types with custom units; no matter what I do I can't find them in each other's menus.  Any workarounds you've seen thus far?  It'd be pointless to bother with all the translation if the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing within the game.

2)  Is there a Spacebar key in the Unit Editor?  I searched high and low and finally had to give up and use the Underscore _ symbol.

3)  While we're on the subject of transferring save files, do you think this can be done?

Thanks for any info you can offer!  Smiley Happy

M1 Abrams

1. After you make Custom Unit go in Custom Production Type, choose your P.T. , when you have your P.T. choose the Unit Types by pressing the L1/R1 buttons, when you get to the type you want let's say MBT's you have the following options. Pressing the Circle button will place a white colored unit(games unit) into with the other MBT's that are not yours, if you wan't your Production Types custom unit, at the very top there's kanja/japanese in white it will always stay there. Press the Circle button on it this will take you to where all MBT's in the game are and your Cumstom Units(their in green) press down or up to move the screen or left and right on the digital pad for it go faster, pressing X will cancel this option for selection said unit, pressing Circle will select the unit, and pressing Square will let you see the Stats. When you have your Custom Units now on your Production Types screen when you press the Triangle button you are giving three option, the 1st is to name the Production Type, the 2nd is to save your Custom Units to that Production Type, and the 3rd is to cancel any Custom Units to not be put in.

I hope this helps.

2. No you can't spacebar, underscore is the only way or if you find a space use it.

3. I don't know what you mean transfering save files if you wan't to use it on somebody else's PS3 I guess go ahead, if

Message 72 of 154 (587 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Feb 27, 2014

"3. I don't know what you mean transfering save files if you wan't to use it on somebody else's PS3 I guess go ahead, if"

I was wondering if you could transfer your own P.T.'s to other ps3's and such. Similar to how can create a PT in DSPHD and merge it with someone elses.

Now that I think about it, the PS3 version will probably create a few files upon installation (.savedata, .systemdata, .trophiesdata, etc). And perhaps THOSE can be shared? I figure this way, the translation efforts could be divided, just a thought.

Message 73 of 154 (580 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

Feb 27, 2014

Thanks a bunch for the detailed explanation, Neoprime666; that WILL be a huge help!  Smiley Happy

@Desert_Archer,

I'm sure that any save data would be among those types of files on the PS3.  There are two main obstacles to surmount in order to transfer them, however, particularly among the members of the community:

1)  We've yet to determine whether such files will work properly if transferred between PS3s (though I successfully imported a Complete save file for ModNation Racers a long time ago; I wanted all the goodies to start building my own tracks!  Smiley Happy).  One thing is certain: importing another person's save file will overwrite your own if it does work (as happened to mine when I did that), so be warned.

2)  There's the issue of getting these files to others who want them.  I do know the PS3 uses a Fat32 format, so any flash drives or other physical storage you place them on would have to be formatted to accommodate that should mailing be the only option. It'd obviously be much easier to simply place the files on a "hub" site like GameFAQs to distribute them...again, IF they work.

I'll keep you all posted regarding the translation on my end; if anyone wants to try this after I get things set up, please let me know.

Nimitz

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 74 of 154 (578 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2014

Daisenryaku Perfect HD: AtlanteanMan’s Official Review and Retrospective

PLEASE NOTE: I’m still in the process of moving and currently there are stacks of boxes in front of my TV so I can’t get the video transfer cable to it, but as soon as I can I’ll try to see if I can grab some images and hopefully videos to share.

Once long ago I played an under-the radar Sega Saturn title by the name of Iron Storm; it was originally made in Japan by SystemSoft and Sega and had been localized by the (sadly now defunct) Working Designs.  I got the game because of Electronic Gaming Monthly’s glowing reviews (all “9”s…that mag NEVER gave out a “10” back in the day) and their description of a game of unprecedented historical and technical detail.  Three campaigns (America, Japan, Germany) with over 500 real-life units…it was overwhelming at first, but I loved every minute of it.  It was my personal introduction to the amazing Daisenryaku series.

Fast forward to around 2009, when on a lark, I put in the disc for Daisenryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics Exceed for my PlayStation 2 when my gaming buddies Mike, Kyle, and Scott were over.  We’d played Halo, Mario Kart, Worms…just about every recent-gen multiplayer game out there.  I honestly didn’t expect much because I’d played DS VII’s single player and found it devoid of any real story or real enjoyment, but hey, it offered 4-player local multiplayer, so why not?

Something like 10 hours later and in the wee hours of the morning, we had to save mid-match and call it quits…until the next of what would become countless get-togethers comprising who knows how many hundreds of hours played.  All of us were shocked at just how deep and ridiculously FUN this humble little game was; there is NO WAY it got review scores of “5” with people who’d played the multiplayer; that is certain.  The camaraderie, the trash-talking, the moments of exuberant celebration and crushing disappointment as one’s plans came apart before their eyes…no other game caught our attention for a span of two years.

In February 2011 (after I’d been checking on SystemSoft’s website for months in hopes of a PlayStation 3 iteration), Daisenryaku Perfect HD was announced.  I pored over every minute detail and image, my heart racing with the possibility of it coming here.  That same day I wrote to several different localization developers and to SystemSoft Alpha (receiving only a couple of replies), posted on as many videogaming forums as I could find, and wrote the original post of the ORIGINAL Daisenryaku Perfect HD Information thread.  My friends were, to say the least, skeptical; after all, who else out there could there be who had even HEARD of Daisenryaku, much less would support an English localization?

As all of you have demonstrated, PLENTY as it turned out.

For that first few months of 2011 the new thread was abuzz with excitement as new members kept coming and voicing their support.  Dozens of people from all over the country and even overseas (here’s a shout-out to GimbleFIN from Finland!), from many walks of life and differing tastes in games but with one thing in common: a passion for Strategy and the Daisenryaku series.

And then the delays began.

I think at last count there were NINE delays of DSP HD by SystemSoft Alpha, each spanning months at a time with no new information in between.  The excited buzz became muted, and over time what was left was a group of gamers who felt frustrated and pretty much abandoned.  Not only was the wait for DSP HD seemingly interminable, but many of us increasingly felt abandoned by a videogame industry that hasn’t seen a retail console Strategy title since R.U.S.E..  And by the time SystemSoft finally announced the final release date for DSP HD, the original thread had been shut down due to lack of use.

But as soon as I saw that announcement I started this new thread, because at last we had something concrete to talk about again.  And sure enough, both longtime members and fresh new faces started showing up and voicing support.  Even so, there was still very much a sense of cynical, frustrated emotions from folks, and to some degree I shared them.  What had three long years of “improving the product” accomplished?  Read on.

All of us hoped that not only would we get to see Daisenryaku Perfect HD brought here to the West in our own language, but that it would prove to be an ambassador for the entire Strategy genre on “AAA”-oversaturated consoles.  As of this writing I honestly don’t know if the former will happen (and no company has made any announcements to indicate it will thus far), but sadly it’s safe to say it would likely not bring new gamers into the fold.  The reason is simple: the visuals.  Those of us who love these types of games know full well that you don’t play and enjoy them for the eye candy; it’s the depth of gameplay and the cerebral challenge of trying to out-think a human opponent on a grand scale.  But the systems we play videogames on nowadays are capable of generating visuals that mimic real life, and gamers who grew up with that will immediately notice and call out anything that doesn’t measure up.

Honestly the graphics AREN’T quite as terrible as the still screenshots we’ve seen to date would make it out to appear.  The unit models, while a bit bland and basic, are certainly serviceable, and some of the backgrounds do add in rows of trees and such to make the environment feel like it has at least some life.  There’s also a random camera angle dynamic that helps keep things from getting TOO stale (at least until you turn them off, which would be a necessity for matches with other human players).  Speaking personally I don’t have a problem with them…aside from the fact they’re very likely the factor that will prevent DSP HD from releasing here.  When localization developers operating on a shoestring budget and timeframes have to decide on which title to translate, they’re going to look for the one with the most overall appeal, because that’s where the money is.  Where do they start?  Well, 80-plus percent of the information each of us receive comes through our eyes.  If the graphics are in any way a turn-off, the game is a no-go; it’s that brutally simple.

Essentially DSP HD is a direct copy/paste of the PSP version with the exact same menu options as DSP 3.0 for Japanese Windows PC.  Even the music tracks are one-for-one the same as the PC version.  The biggest differences are the menu and text layouts and the fact there are only 600 units and 21 nations as opposed to DSP 3.0’s 1,400 units and 48 nations.  In short, it is a game that everyone here would appreciate and enjoy, but outside of that it “isn’t for everyone”.  Speaking candidly, it’s like SystemSoft put minimal effort into the game because they figure the series’ fans are so starved for another version to play that they’ll happily accept lackadaisical quality.

Am I saying DSP HD is a BAD game, then?  No, but it CERTAINLY could have been handled MUCH better, from the delays (which apparently were for the purpose of eliminating all online multiplayer modes) to the fact that given so much time to “perfect” it this game should have been sparkling on every level, even from a smaller developer.

I just finished translating all the unit names into English this morning (thanks to looking off of DSP 3.0’s English patch) and imported the USA’s custom units into my custom USA (English letters) Production Type.  Then I fired up the main game for a test run.  Here are my thoughts:

1. The maps look clean and attractive in an Advance Wars kind of way; you can also switch the visual effect before a match to give them a more “topographic” feel.  Either is nice, but I haven’t used the latter much just yet.  Maps can range up to 96 x 96 hexes in size and support up to 8 players in any combination of human and AI.  That map size may sound small for anyone who’s played DSP 3.0 with 8 players, but the ranges (including attack ranges) of aircraft have been scaled back to accommodate that.

2. There’s an intuitive aspect to the selections whenever you move a unit.  If you can attack, the first box will be highlighted, and then your “choice” of selections in the drop-down boxes below that will be shown.  You can’t select any boxes after moving that aren’t meant for that particular situation, which made even figuring out how to deploy towed units and load infantry onto vehicles a breeze.  Within about 5 turns I found myself progressing rapidly through my test match as if I were a seasoned vet.

3. The AI appears surprisingly competent based upon the small sample I had.  Germany was sneaking PAH-1s between my lines and wreaking havoc on my ground forces faster than I could shoot them down.  I noticed AI factions building forward bases, blowing up roads, and attacking facilities just as they do in DSP 3.0.

4. At least for now there are some units apparently missing from DS VII.  The Zumwalt, the Lun, and others are nowhere to be found (though perhaps they’re unlockable by playing through the Campaign).  It’s a bit strange because the USA’s unit roster appears fairly current (no F-14s any longer in their Navy’s aerial forces, for example), yet units like the Zumwalt that were still very much on the drawing board when DS VII was made aren’t there…at least not yet.

5. Armor values have definitely been tweaked in some areas.  I had a flight of A-10s ambushed by a new German mobile anti-air unit.  Three attacks later they were completely destroyed; I have never seen A-10s take such abuse from a non-“S” Level attacker in DS VII.  This should make folks who consider the “Flying Tanks” overpowered or “broken” (hey, Profetius!) very happy.

6. While there are, as I mentioned, some omissions (no nuclear submarines or named ICBMs so far!), there seems to be an emphasis on balance based upon what is present.  Russia and China now (FINALLY!) have Intercept, which by itself will help tremendously toward evening the odds against their NATO counterparts (especially America).  Russia and other countries now likewise also have deployable multi-hex rocket units similar (and in the case of the SCUD, superior!) to the USA’s ATACMS in range and effectiveness.

7. The right stick moves your view of the map around, and it is a bit too sensitive for my liking.  You can also use the digital pad, but that way is too slow.  Cycling between your units and facilities with the L1 and R1 buttons will fast become a regular habit.

8. As Neoprime666 previously mentioned, there is a delay both before and after the battle cinematics as the screen pulls up the statistics.  It isn’t horrible but I imagine anyone who gets the game will have animations turned off shortly after purchase.

At the end of the day, I know most of you are saying, “I could care less about what mainstream gamers think; should I buy (or import) this game?”.  Based upon what I’ve seen so far, my answer is YES.  And I do recommend importing, because who knows when or whether there will ever be an official English localization.  If save transfers are possible as we’ve previously discussed here, I’ll be more than happy to share my translated units, nations, terrain, etc. with anyone who wants them provided we can find a way to do so.

In closing, Daisenryaku Perfect HD is a game we had to wait FAR, FAR TOO LONG FOR, and then only to receive a product that, while capable of providing years of awesome enjoyment with fellow Strategy lovers in the same room, is nevertheless flawed, too much so to allow SystemSoft Alpha the benefit of the doubt or a free pass.  They could…and SHOULD…have done better by their product and its loyal fans on BOTH sides of the Pacific.

Here’s hoping some developer is reading this review and pondering how best to make a turn-based Strategy title that is indeed worthy of the “Perfect” monicker.  May I offer the following suggestion for you to consider…

DSP HD and Wargame Merge.png

GAMEPLAY:  9

EDITORS:  8

GRAPHICS: 4

SOUND:  7

OVERALL REVIEW SCORE (Not an average):  7/10

Seawolf

Message 75 of 154 (535 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

Re: THE ALL-NEW DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD INFORMATION THREAD

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2014

No word as of yet regarding the WWII iteration either, though considering the fact there's both a PS3 AND a PC version (plus a 3DS version in the works), I'd have to guess it may have a better chance of coming here than DSP HD.  Not only are the visuals much more refined, but having multiple platforms means multiple revenue streams from a single translation project (the programming for different systems aside, the translation probaly is the most time-consuming aspect).

All we can do is wait and hope somebody will take a chance on it.  Hey, if anyone wants to help write some letters and make developers aware, I'm all for it; it'd certainly make for a better shot at seeing results than doing nothing.

AH-1 Cobra

Message 76 of 154 (522 Views)
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Mar 1, 2014

Well done. I read every word of this post, and felt like you are dead on with your final comment there. As I read this I can't help but be reminded of how put off I was by all the delays, "has it really been that long since I tossed up that post about how the genre doesn't exist anymore?" hahaa wow. 

I  appreciate this review from the depths of my soul and I REALLY don't want to believe that all of the delays were because of SS eliminating the online multiplayer functionality, but it would make sense. WHO KNOWS THOUGH! Maybe they'll release an online patch or something via PSN that will implement online multiplayer features.

I'm curious to see how the EU nations stack up against the US in this version.

Anyhow, thanks for the review!!!! I look forward to some screen shots.

Message 77 of 154 (516 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2014

Just realized that I put the word "combine" in that image twice in the same sentence.  Ugh; I HATE mental typos.  Smiley Sad

UPDATE:  FIXED (I know; I'm Obsessive-Compulsive)!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Oh, well.   Thanks for the kind words and your continued support, Desert_Archer!

M109A6 Paladin

Message 78 of 154 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2014

Really SSA, you spent all that time gutting online multiplayer and there are now even fewer units than DS VII in addition to subpar the graphics? Looks like Duke Nukem Forever syndrome strikes again (although not anywhere near as bad as that game I hope). This does not make a good case for jumping through the hoops necessary to import DSP HD from Japan and will likely hurt it's chances of being localized.

I should point out however that the USS Zumwalt (DDG-1000 variant not DD-21 in DS VII) was launched back in October 2013, it is currently conducting sea trials and will be fully commissioned in 2015

PS; was the THAAD featured in the USA production list? Since it entered service in 2008 (4 years ahead of schedule) it would be considered "Current" alongside the other units featured in the game.

Message 79 of 154 (475 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

Re: THE ALL-NEW DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD INFORMATION THREAD

Mar 2, 2014

@cnlbenmc,

Nope, no THAAD (or Arrow, or S-400).  No Oplots, T-80Us, M1A3s, Arjuns, or other current/next-gen tanks.  No CGX.  No nuclear submarines (at least not the heavies like the Typhoon or the Ohio-classes).  No Lun.  No FB-22s or Comanches.  The list missing even from DSVII is a fairly long one (despite the fact there are roughly 200 more units overall in DSP HD than in DS VII), and obviously even more so from DSP 3.0.

The Editors take the biggest hit from DSP HD's design, as I feared would happen.  The 3D models can't be added to, changed, or even recolored in any way; you're stuck with selecting from the available default models for building "new" units.

So far Neoprime666 has said he hasn't located any unlockables, but next week I plan hopefully to try out some of the Campaign to see if I have any luck.

F-22 Raptor

Message 80 of 154 (467 Views)