Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Re: THE ALL-NEW DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD INFORMATION THREAD

Mar 2, 2014

AtlanteanMan wrote:

@cnlbenmc,

Nope, no THAAD (or Arrow, or S-400).  No Oplots, T-80Us, M1A3s, Arjuns, or other current/next-gen tanks.  No CGX.  No nuclear submarines (at least not the heavies like the Typhoon or the Ohio-classes).  No Lun.  No FB-22s or Comanches.  The list missing even from DSVII is a fairly long one (despite the fact there are roughly 200 more units overall in DSP HD than in DS VII), and obviously even more so from DSP 3.0.

The Editors take the biggest hit from DSP HD's design, as I feared would happen.  The 3D models can't be added to, changed, or even recolored in any way; you're stuck with selecting from the available default models for building "new" units.

So far Neoprime666 has said he hasn't located any unlockables, but next week I plan hopefully to try out some of the Campaign to see if I have any luck.

F-22 Raptor

There's no Campaign, unless you create one, it's either play or edit.

Message 81 of 154 (661 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2014

Well, so much for that idea, I guess.

By the way, playing through my first full map versus the AI, I got my first glimpse of the tank gun and artillery animations.  UGH.  No particle effects, just completely flat (as in "they look like 2D" in a 3D environment), single-colored "animations" that seem to consist of about three or four extended frames.  The Dreamcast could do better (and did, in Advanced War 2001).  Absolutely inexcusable on a console like the PlayStation 3, and where I'm concerned the 3 extra years of delays were a waste of time.

I'm still working on importing my translated units into the custom Production Types (I have USA, Japan, and Russia done so far).  But I'll be frank, guys; the more time I'm spending with DSP HD the more I see myself eventually going back to DS VII for my console-based multiplayer.

Adamantine

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 82 of 154 (660 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Mar 2, 2014

From what you're saying I find the HD in DSP HD to be a very dubious advertisement, SSA would have been better off mimicking DS VII with it's 3D "Battlespace" style overview along with it's decent looking and reasonably fast paced 2D battle cinematics.  What also irks me is the complete lack of prototype units which from what I've been told are a staple of every previous Daisenryaku game (including the WWII ones) and also the lack of a campaign is a head scratching omission. I for one just so happened to enjoy  the campaign in DS VII (even Adam Sessler from X-Play enjoyed this) and so did some of my friends.  On top of that; this "Faction Balancing" sounds to me like arbitrarily buffing and nerfing units and factions for "fairness" purposes rather than trying to be realistic.

Why couldn't this have been released 3 years ago? We could have made these same complaints back then and maybe we would have gotten a game that was truly worth the moniker of DSP HD!

Message 83 of 154 (652 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Mar 2, 2014

Oh and one more thing; I think that the submarines that you are referring to as "Nuclear" are in fact Ballistic Missile Subs, the term Nuclear Submarine refers to the power source of the sub in question which in this case is a nuclear reactor of various designs and configurations  while a "Convetntional" submarine is powered by a diesel/electric engine. 

Message 84 of 154 (650 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Mar 2, 2014

cnlbenmc wrote:

From what you're saying I find the HD in DSP HD to be a very dubious advertisement, SSA would have been better off mimicking DS VII with it's 3D "Battlespace" style overview along with it's decent looking and reasonably fast paced 2D battle cinematics.  What also irks me is the complete lack of prototype units which from what I've been told are a staple of every previous Daisenryaku game (including the WWII ones) and also the lack of a campaign is a head scratching omission. I for one just so happened to enjoy  the campaign in DS VII (even Adam Sessler from X-Play enjoyed this) and so did some of my friends.  On top of that; this "Faction Balancing" sounds to me like arbitrarily buffing and nerfing units and factions for "fairness" purposes rather than trying to be realistic.

Why couldn't this have been released 3 years ago? We could have made these same complaints back then and maybe we would have gotten a game that was truly worth the moniker of DSP HD!

Which is why you may wanna wait and see if they have DLC for them.

Message 85 of 154 (636 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Mar 2, 2014

cnlbenmc wrote:

Oh and one more thing; I think that the submarines that you are referring to as "Nuclear" are in fact Ballistic Missile Subs, the term Nuclear Submarine refers to the power source of the sub in question which in this case is a nuclear reactor of various designs and configurations  while a "Convetntional" submarine is powered by a diesel/electric engine. 

Nuclear subs are subs in the game that have a 999 when it comes to fuel, that's how you spot them.

Message 86 of 154 (636 Views)
Wastelander
633 posts

Mar 2, 2014

AFTERTHOUGHTS: THE RANT

I was heading out the door last night right as I typed that last post, so please allow me to clarify some things I've said:

First, cnlbenmc, you're correct; I meant ballistic missile submarines.

Second, I'm not saying I plan to put DSP HD on the shelf and never touch it again; the addition of Intercept for the non-NATO countries is simply too big a balancing factor to just write it off.  However, as cnlbenmc suggested, DS VII is actually a far more polished, smooth-playing game with MUCH better aesthetics (even DSP 3.0's 2D maps are servicable but I constantly find myself wishing it had at least the option for DS VII's zoomable, rotatable 3D).  What has begun to irk me about DSP HD's maps is that occasionally you can miss units you've moved; I couldn't figure out why my Infantry wouldn't move onto RED's Capital in my previous test match and finally figured out I'd left a tank sitting on it.  For all intents and purposes it was invisible.  Also, all the units of a given category (troop transports, tanks, anti-air, etc.) appear to be assigned the same generic image for moving around the map, leading to confusion at times regarding what you're moving around.  For all-NATO faction matches with friends, I can definitely see us staying with DS VII.  I think the moment that made me make that statement about going back to DS VII was after I turned the (poor) battle animations off and then saw a map full of generic units simply flashing and changing numbers to represent battle damage.

What hurts the most about all of this is that from the get-go 3 years ago this community went to bat for this game.  Some of us argued with Kotaku and gamers on other forums who laughed at DSP HD's visuals (Kotaku's article called DSP HD "the worst-looking game of this console generation") because to us the visuals weren't the primary factor in wanting it.  However, as I began to correspond with localization developers I became acutely aware that the visuals DID and DO matter from the standpoint of a (typically small or even tiny) company trying to make a game that will turn even a modest profit.  We wrote tons of letters and impassioned e-mails, most of which never received a reply (though a sincere "Thank you" to the developers who did take the time and courtesy to do so).  We campaigned, we stayed the course even when the delays began to sap our enthusiasm, hoping against hope that SystemSoft would use that extra time to make the needed (drastic) changes.  I truly would not be surprised if SEVERAL members of this community have not put FAR more hours into this effort than the dev team at SystemSoft Alpha put into making DSP HD (they just slapped a quick, sloppy copy/paste of elements from the PSP version...and porting a portable game to a console instead of the other way around should have been our first red flag that this would not end well).

Obviously, it didn't happen, and as cnlbenmc already stated, SystemSoft basically churned out a game that was in no better shape than the one they began delaying 3 years ago.  The graphics would look more at home on the N64 than the PS3, (yet it STILL suffers slowdown, a factor that has plagued every iteration of the Daisenryaku series that has used 3D battle cutscenes, from Iron Storm to Advanced War 2001 to DSP HD), the 2D map frankly is in every way inferior to DS VII's simplistic 3D form (keep in mind the original Japanese PC version of DS VII is over 10 years old), and they didn't even bother to give each individual unit its own specific model/image on the map screen.  In a word, LAZY.  Another word: INEXCUSABLE. 

I know we've preached the mantra "We don't play these kinds of games for the eye candy" countless times here, but I want to take this opportunity to let SystemSoft and the rest of the industry know that just because a certain genre is sorely underrepresented or a fan community has had to wait anxiously for the next iteration of a game franchise, it doesn't mean we'll simply give our approval (or our money) for a sloppily made, half-****d product just to have something new to play.  We expect...and DESERVE...better.  While the new WWII-era games look much more promising, SystemSoft has lost a lot of trust on my part and I'm sure many other Daisenryaku series fans.

Why then did I give DSP HD a "7" in my review?  Because of its core elements, which remain true to the captivating gameplay we've come to expect from this series (plus the non-NATO Intercept).  I WILL however add a caveat to my recommendation to buy/import it, and that is simply that most other games in Daisenryaku's history have simply done this, that, or all of it BETTER.  Here's ANOTHER (strong) recommendation: given the choice simply import DSP 3.0 for Japanese Windows PC instead.  It runs smooth as silk, its 2D animations don't slow down gameplay in the slightest (plus they look nice), it's as comprehensive as any game of this type has ever been (and maybe ever will be), and its Photoshop-compatible Editors have few technical limitations outside your imagination.

So, after all of this, did we waste our time here?  I refuse to think so, because a LOT of positives have come of this community's efforts.  We've all made good, lasting friendships with other gamers of like interests and passion for this series and Strategy in general, and I'd have to believe that this thread has garnered at least the awareness of and maybe even the attention of many videogame developers over its lifespan.

I sincerely hope that someone with pull in the videogame industry will read this and consider the time, effort, and passion this community has put in, and the fact that our money's as good as anybody's and we'll happily pay for a quality Strategy title in our own language.  And then I hope they'll put the wheels in motion to begin designing a turn-based Strategy game that will indeed be worthy of the "Perfect" monicker.

M109A6 Paladin

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 87 of 154 (638 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2014

Yes nuclear and deisel are methods of propulsion Smiley Happy. Either way I have to jump in here and just say that I am reading every word of every post that comes by here, and the more I read, the more I get the feeling that I should just keep myself busy with the PC version for now and my VII Exceed for PS2 on the side.

I am looking at this page today (http://www.ss-alpha.co.jp/products/daitoa3/) in anticipation of my copy arriving: (fixed that link)

Estimated shipping date: On or before Mar 14, 2014
Please note that the estimated shipping date can be exceeded in rare cases.

So hopefully no "delays" (a little sarcasm and skepticism there Smiley Tongue

Based on some of the images I'm seeing, it seems like there will be a pretty involved campagin here for a fictional spin on real WW2 events (just like Iron Storm) Smiley Very Happy I am very happy about this.

DD2top

DD3a

mustang

class

moredd3

groupx

I'll probably put a little effort into translating some of this information throughout my waiting period just so I have a better grasp of what will be going on:

So far I've done this form this page (http://www.ss-alpha.co.jp/products/daitoa3/outline.html)

OUTLINE
SECTION 1

Germany with enhanced military power and steadily is stationed in the Rhineland became a demilitarized zone in the treaty .
As will be responding to it , Italy became the dictatorship of Mussolini invaded Ethiopia .
I began to push forward to expanding territory .

On the other hand , after the Manchurian Incident Kwantung Army was raised on September 18, 1931 , founded the " Manchukuo " Japan conquered Manchuria across in Asia .
China to appeal this has been filed in the League of Nations .
Japan , leave as dissatisfied with the decision that was not rough to Japanese sovereignty and withdraw from Manchuria in place of the League of Nations General Assembly .
I left the League of Nations .

Though there is more than one fire from the Chinese side against the Japanese army in 1937 , two years after the withdrawal , of exercises in the Dragon King Temple near ,
Began in that the first regiment stationed China infantry fight back in this " Marco Polo Bridge Incident" is long-term with the Republic of China ,
And I began to expand to combat " China Incident " on a large scale.

Japan at the time of this has imported crude oil and scrap iron from the United States , for the United States , which seeks to advance China ,
China Incident was not good convenient .

Negotiation is carried out in Japan and the United States between the two countries since then , but the United States take steps to stop crude oil exports to Japan ,
The submission requests the withdrawal of Japanese troops from China across the continent , including Manchuria the " Hull Note " .
Japan will be to resolve the war in strict what you have changed completely from the past .

On the other hand, in Europe , Germany made a secret agreement to divide-and-rule in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union in August 1939 ,
Concluded the German-Soviet non-aggression pact . Immediately after the start of the invasion of Poland .

This is triggered , the war had spread around the world in the blink of an eye .

SECTION 1

SECTION 2

«« Pacific Ocean Front »»

In the conference in the presence of the emperor of September 6, 1941, making a war against the U.S. negotiations with the United States if it does not progress by early October has been determined.
The conference in the presence of the emperor of November 5, Tojo Cabinet, which is to form a new government then, was full-scale war TaiBei preparation and December 8th the day war.

SECTION 2

SECTION 3

« « North African Campaign » »

Fascist party led by Mussolini had gained power by Rome march in Italy .
Initially Italy , there was a conflict in relation to the problem of Germany and Austria combined ,
Because you have to start the second Ethiopian War to attack the empire Ethiopia adjacent to the 1935 Italian Somaliland territory ,
It was supposed to be approaching rapidly and Germany that left the League of Nations , has left as well.
Defeat of France becomes decisive Paris is occupied in the June 10 and invaded France in the blitzkrieg Germany May 10, 1940 ,
I declared war against Britain and France both countries .
Mussolini regardless Italian army upper part is also to oppose the anxiety of supply ,
I instructed the invasion of Egypt from September 1940 Italy Libya territory .
The Italian 10th Army consists of 80,000 military personnel , sometimes British withdrew ,
Was occupied Sidi Bharani of 100km destination is marching steadily .

SECTION 3

SECTION 4

« « Eastern Front » »

I signed a German-Soviet non-aggression pact that includes a secret protocol that promised the definition of the sphere of influence of the German-Soviet in August 23 Nitto Europe 1939 ,
Dictator of two of Stalin and Soviet Hitler of Germany began to push forward for the benefit of each other .
On September 1 First of all Germans to start the invasion of Poland ,
Curtain of World War II opened Britain and France to declare war on Germany on September 3 .
The September 17 , the Soviet Union proceeded to Poland from the east ,
Poland became a thing that is to divide-and-conquer German-Soviet countries on the basis of the secret protocol .
The Soviet Union , to the territory ceded by proceeding to Finland to November 30 in order to achieve the territorial expansion to the Baltic States and Finland further ,
I have merged the three Baltic countries invaded by the army of 400,000 or more people in June 1940 .
German one was also occupied France in June the three Benelux countries in May 1940 .
Hitler wanted the oil resources of Romania , to destroy the German-Soviet non-aggression pact June 22, 1941 ,
North to begin the invasion of the Soviet Union three million people in the army from the line leading to the Black Sea in the south of Finland .
Operation Barbarossa was triggered .

SECTION 4

SECTION 5

« « Western Front » »

In Tehran talks leaders of the Soviet Union the United States and Britain November 28, 1943 was to bring together for the first time ,
U.S. President Roosevelt , Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Churchill , Stalin Soviet Union chairman in consultation
It was agreed that to build a second front in Europe in the spring of 1944 .
Allied General Headquarters enters the strategy ready to receive it , Eisenhower in Europe district commander in chief ,
I was appointed to the Montgomery ground forces supreme commander .
Landing site is limited and within range of Allied fighter base from the mainland of the United Kingdom ,
I have been narrowed down to Normandy and Pas-de- Calais .
Pas-de- Calais , but was optimal as a landing site close from the UK mainland ,
I got to that Normandy is selected for defense just that was more potent .
On the other hand the situation of the German side , in November 1943 , Hitler is vigilant for the French invasion of the Allies ,
In addition to the western district military commander Rundstedt ,
Rommel was placed as commander in charge of the defense of northern France , but defense thought of both commander in reverse ,
For that you have attempted to make an attack at the moment the enemy land , Rommel Rundstedt is ,
I was at odds with claim to destroy it attracts inland enemies .
In order to prevent from knowing Normandy , the Allies , the expansion of deception strategy .
Rommel , convinced the Allies to land in Normandy always ,
I was doing the laying of mines as many as six million and construction of defensive positions of the Normandy coast with full force .
June 6, 1944 , was the stage of France Normandy , The Longest Day was about to be started .

SECTION 5

Sorry for the terrible organization Smiley Happy more later.

Message 88 of 154 (635 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Mar 2, 2014

Yeah, the crudeness of the maps and battle animations are hard to put up with.  No good explanation for it either. I have these games and they all look better: DSVII, Great Strategy DS, DS Portable (PSP).   Even Gendai Daisenryaku: Isshoku Sokuhatsu – Gunji Balance Houkai (The Strategic Tactical Modern Warfare Simulation) looks just as good or better in some respects, again on the last gen Nintendo DS.   

Gendai Dai Senryaku is an interesting game and one I need to spend more time on.  Never did get to grips with figuring out how to play the campaign, and from what I can gather in this comically bad translation, the campaign is really the meat of the game:

System Soft Alph development of “modern grand strategy” is a practical problem and the illusion of the world situation, the theme of military strategy game. The PS2 and PSP version of the PC version were selected from 70 and 55 out of the script. It will also include parts of the war led by the mercenary organizations of the new elements involved in “world war mode”, will achieve more than 500 weapons of war fighting and other full 3D. PS2 and PSP version of “Modern Grand Strategy: the military balance imminent collapse,” the game will combine real-world situations, creating 22 new scripts, with 1380 kinds of contemporary variety of military weapons. And add the “differences-based victory conditions” and “fought mode” two systems, allowing the player in battle mode with the results of tasks, the system will update the next mission objective, to make the game closer to the real war situation.

The past, “Grand Strategy” series, each task is usually only a few fixed mission objectives. In the PS2 and PSP version of “Modern Grand Strategy: the military balance imminent collapse”, by adding a new “type of victory condition differences” mechanism: in the script edit mode, according to the results of the player’s task to determine the next task objectives. For example, when the player after the break combat targets, operational goals may be a new generation; operational failure, the new operational objectives may be to safe retreat. So the game closer to the real conduct of the war, never let the military fans hooked!

http://www.pspgamesthemes.com/psp-games/simulation-games/gendai-daisenryaku-isshoku-sokuhatsu-free.h...

Speaking of Campaign mode, what do we know of it so for for DS Perfect HD ?

Steve.
My blog: http://castlesoftin.blogspot.com/
Message 89 of 154 (629 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
633 posts

Mar 2, 2014

@cpl_trim,

No Campaign Mode that I can see apart from selecting and playing individual maps against AI factions.  DSP HD feels amazingly "bare bones" in this regard.

@Desert_Archer,

Looks like you'll have your hands full for a good while with all of that!  Smiley Happy  Having played through Iron Storm I would bet you're in for a real treat.  Daisenryaku's WWII iterations are consistently high-quality and chock-full of historical accuracy with just enough "What If?" scenarios to keep you invested and trying to see that next "branch".

Please keep us posted!

F-2

Message 90 of 154 (625 Views)
0 Likes