Jan 22 2014
By: jgrizzle358 I Only Post Everything 887 posts

[INFO] Kingdom Hearts III

[ Edited ]
50 replies 5850 views Edited Jun 6, 2014

title

Hello everyone and welcome to the official information thread for Kingdom Hearts III

This will be your go-to thread for all the news and updates on the upcoming 8th installment in Square Enix's Epic Masterpiece

Kingdom Hearts Franchise; Kingdom Hearts III.  

Updates

In this section I will post about any updates made to the thread as far as new informations, videos, ect. As well as posting the new content in it's respective section. 

6/11/14 - Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Coming December 2nd to PS3 + Kingdom Hearts III Teaser

5/10/14 - KINGDOM HEARTS III news (probably) coming at E3 2014

2/22/14 - Square Enix debunks KINGDOM HEARTS III release date rumors

also, a video interview about features of the game (credit to @Jii-El )

The History of Kingdom Hearts

The Kingdom Hearts series started back in 2002 on the SONY PlayStation 2. At first the idea of a Disney/Final Fantasy collaboration was unheard of, but after many people gave it a shot, they found they were pleasently surprised. Now, here we are, 12 years later and still going strong. Many of the series fans have grown up with the series, I know I was 13 when the first one came out.

But what is Kingdom Hearts, exactly? To put it bluntly: it's an third-person Action/Adventure/RPG with real-time combat and platforming. You generally play as a young male hero who wields a giant key-shaped sword known as a Keyblade.

Much like FInal Fantasy XIII, you almost always have a party of 3: 1 party leader (the character you control), and 2 AI controlled party members, which are more often than not, Donald Duck, Goofy, and/or a Disney character specific to the world you're currently visiting. Some of the games in the franchise completely did away with the party system altogether, while others replaced Disney and Final Fantasy characters with creatures you can recruit and will help you fight (similar to Ni No Kuni or Final Fantasy XIII-2). Also, much like FFXIII, if the party leader perishes in battle, you will get a Game Over, regardless of the status of the other characters. Like many RPGs, the Kingdom Hearts games rely heavily on strategy and preparation. Items, weapons, accessories and abilities equipped are all essential to besting the game. 

While the gameplay features have changed over the course of the games, the core elements generally remain the same.

The story revolves around a great war waging between light and darkness and the people who are both responsible for and stuck in the middle of it. It emphasises heavily on themes such as friendship, unity, light vs darkness, and the unspoken bond formed bwtween people you meet.

The first game in the series was very cartoony and light hearted, but as the series progressed, it started dealing with darker themes such as death, resurrection, sacrifice, loss, tyranny, possession, and corrpution.    

The main focal point of the story is on the protaginist, Sora, a young boy who's fate was determined long before he was of age to see it through. While you don't play as Sora in every game, you will always play as either some alternate version of him or someone who is conncted to him, be it directly or indirectly. 

The original focus of the story was for Sora to find his missing friends and return home, while at the same time helping Donald and Goofy find their missing King and ultimately put a stop to the Heartless threat. Unfortuneately, things don't pan out as planned and new threats arise, (including the Nobodies, Organization XIII, and the return of Xehanort) causing Sora to go on more dangerous adventures and uncover new secrets while all the while, saving the world(s). 

Here's a list of all the games in the franchise, in order of release:

• Kingdom Hearts (2002) PlayStation 2
  • Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix (2002) PlayStation 2 (Japan Only)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (2004) Game Boy Advanced
  • Kingdom Hearts II (2006) PlayStation 2
  • Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (2007) PlayStation 2 (Japan Only)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Coded (2008) Mobile Phones (Japan Only)
  • Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (2008) PlayStation 2 (This was a PS2 remake of the GBA game)
  • Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Pronounced Three-Five-Eight-Days-Over-Two) (2009) Nintendo DS
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (2010) PlayStation Portable
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (2011) Nintendo DS (This was a DS remake of the Mobile game)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep: Final Mix (2011) PlayStation Portable (Japan Only)
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream, Drop, Distance (2012) Nintendo 3DS
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (2013) PlayStation 3 (Contains: Kingdom Hearts: FInal Mix, Re:Chain of Memories, and 358/2 Days: Movie Version)
  • Kingdom Hearts X[chi] (2013) Browser Game (Japan Only For Now)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX (2014?) PlayStation 3 (Contains: Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+, Birth by Sleep: Final Mix, and Re:Coded: Movie Version)
  • Kingdom Hearts III (TBA) PlayStation 4
  • Kingdom Hearts Online (Date and Platforms TBA)

The Story of Kingdom Hearts (WARNING: There Are Multiple Game Spoilers Ahead)

Spoiler

Below is a Wiki article telling the story of each Kingdom Hearts game in detail. I have listed them in chronological order, as well as a timeline outlining the order of events.

Birth by Sleep

Kingdom Hearts

Chain of Memories

358/2 Days

Kingdom Hearts II

Coded

Dream, Drop, Distance

Timeline

Here is also a very useful video telling the story of the entire franchise to date (Total Runtime: 53:19)

All About Kingdom Hearts III

Now, onto business. 

The Game Itself:

Kingdom Hearts III takes place after the events of Dream, Drop, Distance and sees Sora and friends seeking the "Key to Return Hearts" as well as trying to save the other Warriors of Light from their fates and recruiting them to face off against Xehanort and his 13 Warriors of Darkness in one final showdown.  

Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that this will be the last game in what as known as the "Xehanort Saga" (also called the "Dark Seeker" saga) but is not necessairly the last game in the franchise altogether.

Gameplay:

It appears as though KHIII will return to it's roots, bringing back the traditional gameplay from KH 1 and 2, including parties, reaction commands, and traditional combat, as well as adding a few more elements to spice things up.

While not confirmed, it appears in one of the gameplay videos as though Limit Commands have been replaced with special attacks based around popular Disney theme park rides.

It was also revealed that your Keyblade will be able to transform into different weapons (such as guns, seen in the trailer below) to help you mid-battle.

Worlds: 

As of right now, the development team has not yet revealed what worlds will be in this game, but they are showing an interest in adding worlds from the Star Wars and Marvel franchises.

Characters:

So far, the following characters have been confirmed for Kingdom Hearts III:

• Sora
  • Kairi
  • Riku
  • Donald Duck
  • Goofy
  • Mickey Mouse
  • Lea/Axel
  • Heartless 
  • Rock Titan
  • Xehanort

While not confirmed, we can assume it's safe to say these characters will make an appearence in one way or another:

• Roxas
  • Xion
  • Terra
  • Ventus
  • Aqua
  • Braig/Xigbar
  • Isa/Siax
  • Xenmas
  • Ansem the Wise

Graphics:

It was confirmed that Kingdom Hearts III will use a cel-shading animation style similar to what the opening video of Kingdom Hearts II looked like. This differs from the traditional cartoony computer animation of the previous games.

2502915-4999khiii_online.jpg

Images, Screenshots, Ect:

Spoiler

Kingdom_Hearts_III_Logo.PNG

Kingdom-Hearts-III-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

fanart1

screen

Videos (Trailers, Gameplay, ect):

News Articles:

Nomura comments on KINGDOM HEARTS III and the PlayStation 4 
The Connection Between Kingdom Hearts 3 and χ[chi]
Nomura Talks HD 2.5 ReMIX and Kingdom Hearts III

Series Director Tetsuya Nomura Talks Kingdom Hearts III

Kingdom Hearts x[chi] Story Link With Kingdom Hearts III

Kingdom Hearts III Will Have Crazy Keyblade Transformations

Roxas and Ventus Teased for Kingdom Hearts III

Kingdom Hearts Creator Talks Marvel and Star Wars Content

Tetsuya Nomura Explains the Look of Kingdom Hearts III

Sora Will Have Two New Abilities

Nomura on New Possibilities for Kingdom Hearts III

Websites To Keep An Eye On: 

Kingdom Hearts Wiki

KH13

Kingdom Hearts Insider

Kingdom Hearts: Official Website

Kingdom Hearts Official Social Media Pages:

Facebook

Twitter

Some Extra Reading Material:

Perhaps you know the story of Kingdom Hearts inside and out, or perhaps you're a newcomer to the franchise with a genuine interest in the franchise, but you're confused by the franchise's complex story and non-chronological narrative. Well here are some more Wiki pages to help you get a grasp on some of the games reoccuring themes.

Warning: Some of these links contain spoilers of previous games, proceed with caution

Keyblade

Door to Darkness

The Kingdom Hearts

Heartless

Nobodies

The Heart

Light

Darkness

Dive into the Heart

Realm of Darkness

The Universe of Kingdom Hearts

If you are indeed a newcomer to the franchise, I highly suggest picking up Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX For the PlayStation 3. As well as picking up Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX when it releases on December 2nd 2014. They will take you through every game except KH3D, and you will be almost caught up in time for KHIII.

It is not advisable to play KHIII without at least knowing the story of the previous installments. The story is very complex. If you do not have a PS2, PSP, PS3, DS, and/or 3DS, you can read the story of every game in the spoiler tag above, or watch all the cutscenes here.

61i1BkDCswL.jpg

Exophase Gamercard
Message 1 of 51 (5,850 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1994 posts

Re: [INFO] Kingdom Hearts III

Jan 23, 2014
This is put together nicely, but I noticed that some of the links lead to a wiki. Does that mean a portion of the information you posted is not 100% concrete? I'm just wondering what kind of news or info you are trying to aim for is all.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 2 of 51 (5,753 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1877 posts

Jan 23, 2014
Kudos. You have TeRRoRBoB the Greats approval
 photo terrorbob.jpg
Message 3 of 51 (5,750 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:
This is put together nicely, but I noticed that some of the links lead to a wiki. Does that mean a portion of the information you posted is not 100% concrete? I'm just wondering what kind of news or info you are trying to aim for is all.

in my experience, every last bit of ino on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki is 100% accurate. Trust me, I'm a huge fanatic of the series. 

Exophase Gamercard
Message 4 of 51 (5,740 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3240 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Man, Haley has grown up, his got them city miles on him

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: Akirasolid Entertainment

Message 5 of 51 (5,734 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2483 posts

Jan 23, 2014

hope you guys have fun with this one, personally i won't be getting it for two reasons. i'm NEVER getting the lame PS4, and i've pretty much lost all faith in Square anymore.

Message 6 of 51 (5,732 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1994 posts

Jan 23, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

in my experience, every last bit of ino on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki is 100% accurate. Trust me, I'm a huge fanatic of the series. 

well I mean I have yet to see proof of some things that are claimed on there. For example the whole acidental ceremony with Kairi. I could care less of what the creator of the story has said so far about things that haven't been explained in-game, some things can be changed when his work enters the game (like no explanation for whether or not that was a ceremony at all with kairi as I mentioned earlier). Its like the difference between a movie and a book. Some things will be taken out just because it doesn't fit, anything that isn't important isn't put in. I guess it all revolves around whether or not Kingdom Hearts is manga, game, or story (as in novel...or um. book) based. If it is game based, then I say there is not enough proof for what is claimed.

I guess a decent example is the difference between a book and it's movie counterpart. For most cases I would assume the movie is based off of the book since the book is the originally published version of the story (not thought of, otherwise we would have millions of different versions of the same story. I am refering this to what the creator of the story may be saying). Since the game is what they advertise, (I have never seen or even heard of a KH manga advertisement, nor had I heard of it from friends until I searched it up myself) I would assume the final and true story is within the game.

I feel most is just speculation. If the creator wants to put a scene where a character explains to sora what ventus is and square enix doesn't put it in, then I say the explanation doesn't exist and is canon.

Not everyone feels this way, and some people may feel the way I do. Perhaps pointing towards wikis isn't a good idea for directing the current and future kh community.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 7 of 51 (5,722 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jan 23, 2014

I plan on making this my first next-gen game (I can wait until 2016 lol). Great thread!

Message 8 of 51 (5,708 Views)
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

well I mean I have yet to see proof of some things that are claimed on there. For example the whole acidental ceremony with Kairi. I could care less of what the creator of the story has said so far about things that haven't been explained in-game, some things can be changed when his work enters the game (like no explanation for whether or not that was a ceremony at all with kairi as I mentioned earlier). Its like the difference between a movie and a book. Some things will be taken out just because it doesn't fit, anything that isn't important isn't put in. I guess it all revolves around whether or not Kingdom Hearts is manga, game, or story (as in novel...or um. book) based. If it is game based, then I say there is not enough proof for what is claimed.

I guess a decent example is the difference between a book and it's movie counterpart. For most cases I would assume the movie is based off of the book since the book is the originally published version of the story (not thought of, otherwise we would have millions of different versions of the same story. I am refering this to what the creator of the story may be saying). Since the game is what they advertise, (I have never seen or even heard of a KH manga advertisement, nor had I heard of it from friends until I searched it up myself) I would assume the final and true story is within the game.

I feel most is just speculation. If the creator wants to put a scene where a character explains to sora what ventus is and square enix doesn't put it in, then I say the explanation doesn't exist and is canon.

Not everyone feels this way, and some people may feel the way I do. Perhaps pointing towards wikis isn't a good idea for directing the current and future kh community.

The cerimony with Kairi isn't speculation. The game clearly explains that becoming a keyblade wielder requires a pervious keyblade wielder to pass the ability down to you, and...

Spoiler
since Kairi has a keyblade, yet we never officially see any ritual performed, it can be safe to assume that that when Aqua saved her from the Unversed in Radient Garden, and the camera specifically focused on their hands when Kairi touched her and you see the light glow, it can be safe to assume that's how it happened. It's not confirmed by Square, but this is the general theory accepted by the KH fanbase and a bit of common sense with some intuition  

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

VorxDargo wrote:

hope you guys have fun with this one, personally i won't be getting it for two reasons. i'm NEVER getting the lame PS4, and i've pretty much lost all faith in Square anymore.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

you're missing out. The PS4 runs circles around the PS3 in terms of hardware and technical specs. Only problem is it doesn't have many games right now, but that's usually the case with new systems.

Exophase Gamercard
Message 9 of 51 (5,704 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

UPDATE: New article explaining the relationship between KHIII and X[chi]

http://www.khinsider.com/news/The-Connection-Between-Kingdom-Hearts-3-and-chi-3485

Also, an article depicting Nomura's thoughts on PS4

http://kh13.com/news/45407-nomura-comments-on-kingdom-hearts-iii-and-the-playstation-4

Exophase Gamercard
Message 10 of 51 (5,692 Views)
0 Likes