MVP Support
12485 posts

Re: [INFO] The Evil Within

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2014

FreshRevenge wrote:

I am not sure about this one? I enjoy horror but I enjoy the more subtle horror. This looks more to be a gorefest than games like Silent Hill. I was playing Outcast and I found it to be highly frustrating than scary.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

https://twitter.com/FreshRevenge
http://www.twitch.tv/thefreshrevengehaven

In my honest opinion, Outlast and The Evil Within look like two completely different video games. There are some things that they will undoubtedly have in common but there are some things that many survival horror video games might have in common. The last time I checked, Outlast didn’t have a corner on the market for mental asylums, hospitals, and/or stealth elements. These are just more prevalent in some survival horror titles than others.

I think it’s safe to say that The Evil Within will be an incredibly violent video game. There is no denying that. One need only look at some of the images and videos in this thread for confirmation. There seems to be more to this video game than blood and gore though. In other words, there seems to be some stealth elements here as well as some psychological horror/thriller elements. The Evil Within is shaping up to be an incredibly dark and disturbing video game. We won’t know the extent of all of this until August 2014 but I think this is a video game that survival horror veterans should keep on their radar. I will keep this thread relatively up-to-date with new information.

I hope The Evil Within is your cup of tea but if it isn’t then I hope you can enjoy some other survival horror video games. There are some new and intriguing ones that are either available right now or in development.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 11 of 286 (1,037 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 17, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:

No problem. I don’t want to say this video game reminds me of anything in particular. If I had to then I would say it reminds me of what might happen if you were to put (a good) Resident Evil video game and (a good) Silent Hill video game into a blender. Here is some of the other concept art that I didn’t want to stick into the original post.

True. But with these screenshots, it's getting really interesting to see where the story heads. As far as I can tell, it seems that many of these events will happen within the character's head or psychologically. I've also noticed that the world (judging from the screenshots) also seems to have a "post apocolyptic" vibe to it. I wander if that too, is in the character's head. I think this can also create for an unexpected plot twist Robot Happy
btw, I find the screenshot with the hanging bodies in the forest to be particularily creepy

young beard signature
Message 12 of 286 (1,016 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12485 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

True. But with these screenshots, it's getting really interesting to see where the story heads. As far as I can tell, it seems that many of these events will happen within the character's head or psychologically. I've also noticed that the world (judging from the screenshots) also seems to have a "post apocolyptic" vibe to it. I wander if that too, is in the character's head. I think this can also create for an unexpected plot twist Robot Happy

btw, I find the screenshot with the hanging bodies in the forest to be particularily creepy

I think post-apocalyptic vibes will depend on the environments and/or the manifestations (if the developers go this route). In some of those gameplay videos we see environments completely shift. Not being able to tell what is real and what isn’t will certainly add some interesting layers to this video game. I don't know what to expect from the storyline but everything else seems to be coming together quite nicely so I'm not too concerned about it.

Atmosphere and its psychological impact seems to be very important to Tango Gameworks, which is more than I can say for many other development teams who tried to create "survival horror" video games last generation.

Message 13 of 286 (1,014 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 17, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:

Walking through that forest will probably be one hell of a tense moment. That picture mostly reminds me of a walk in the woods in Resident Evil 4. And you are right about the deep environment shifts. I also hope that the game is filled "quite moments" such as in The Last of Us. But I do like what I'm seeing so far. We also saw earlier in the gameplay trailer that were setting traps for an upcoming horde of monsters. That will be a really interesting aspect to see and I hope it gets fleshed out well                                                                               

young beard signature
Message 14 of 286 (1,011 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12485 posts

Mar 18, 2014

Which one of these trailers do you guys like more? There is the Japanese one for Psycho Break and the North American one for The Evil Within. This is the same video game so these trailers have, more or less, the same footage. They are a bit different though. You will probably notice different background music and sound effects. Check them out and let everyone know which one you like more. There are things that I like about both of these trailers. I wish the chainsaw sound effects were more prevalent in the North American one though. =P

Message 15 of 286 (979 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9937 posts

Mar 18, 2014
Liked the North American one more. Music was scarier and the monster noise at the locker was cool.

Hope we get to play as Julie Kidman.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 16 of 286 (972 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4797 posts

Mar 18, 2014

It looks like they took inspiration from Resident Evil 6, Outlast, and Silent Hill Homecoming.

re6_leon_helena_thumb.jpg

Silent-Hill-6.jpg

Outlast security.jpg

Resident Evil 6 Neon and Helena

Silent Hill Homecoming  Scarlet

Outlast Mental Hospital Security Room

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 17 of 286 (966 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12485 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2014

FreshRevenge wrote:

It looks like they took inspiration from Resident Evil 6, Outlast, and Silent Hill Homecoming.

SNIP

Resident Evil 6 Neon and Helena

Silent Hill Homecoming  Scarlet

Outlast Mental Hospital Security Room

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Do you think Julie looks like Helena? Who do you think looks like Leon? Sebastian?

I don’t really know what inspires Shinji Mikami so it doesn’t feel right for me to make any assumptions about this. Security rooms look like security rooms. How much different would you like one to look from another? Part of the reason The Evil Within exists might be because of the awkward directions that video games like Resident Evil 6 have tried to take the survival horror genre in. I don’t really know what else to say about this.

I don’t personally see Resident Evil 6 or Silent Hill: Homecoming when I look at The Evil Within. Silent Hill: Homecoming did have some pretty interesting enemies though. I haven’t seen anything like them in a Silent Hill video game since 2008. With that being said, I don’t see a porcelain doll when I look at Re-Bone Laura (or whatever you want to call that spider-like creature with long black hair). This enemy moves (and probably attacks) differently than Scarlet. It (she?) reminds me more of what you might see in a Japanese horror film about ghosts or spirits with long black hair. It is neat that The Evil Within reminds you of all of these different video games though.

I can see people being reminded of Resident Evil 4, Outlast, and maybe The Last of Us when looking at The Evil Within or some of its concept art. After all, The Evil Within gives off some very strong Resident Evil 4 vibes. However, it really does seem like some people are trying to make connections with this video game and others that might not be there. I’m personally not reminded of Siren: Blood Curse or Deadly Premonition just because I see Sebastian hiding in a locker (for example). Players can hide in lockers in Outlast too but I digress.

Message 18 of 286 (962 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4797 posts

Mar 18, 2014

I don't think that she looks like Helena but when I saw them walking side by side, I just had a flash of Leon and Helena walking side by side since I played through Resident Evil 6 and enjoyed the Leon and Helena story line.

The creature that was in the operating room sprouting arms walking on her arms reminded me of Scarlet.

Not to say that they took inspiration but there is similiarities. Not that a porcelan doll would look like a oiled hair spider witch.

It could be Alma crawling on the floor?

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 19 of 286 (958 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12485 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2014

FreshRevenge wrote:

I don't think that she looks like Helena but when I saw them walking side by side, I just had a flash of Leon and Helena walking side by side since I played through Resident Evil 6 and enjoyed the Leon and Helena story line.

The creature that was in the operating room sprouting arms walking on her arms reminded me of Scarlet.

Not to say that they took inspiration but there is similiarities. Not that a porcelan doll would look like a oiled hair spider witch.

It could be Alma crawling on the floor?

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

I see what you mean now. I’m really glad The Evil Within isn’t a co-op adventure though. I have personally seen enough of this in video games like Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, and Dead Space 3. When it comes to what are supposed to be survival horror video games I really do like to play as one character at any given time. It’s more terrifying that way when you don’t have someone around to help you or watch your back. That is just how I like survival horror video games. What Naughty Dog did with The Last of Us was pretty neat though. I won’t discuss a bunch of spoilers (obviously) but this video game does let you play as Ellie at times and it doesn’t give you some dumb partner AI when it does this like some of the other video games out there that I could mention here. =P  

Message 20 of 286 (953 Views)
0 Likes