MVP Support
12492 posts

Re: [INFO] The Evil Within

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

Walking through that forest will probably be one hell of a tense moment. That picture mostly reminds me of a walk in the woods in Resident Evil 4. And you are right about the deep environment shifts. I also hope that the game is filled "quite moments" such as in The Last of Us. But I do like what I'm seeing so far. We also saw earlier in the gameplay trailer that were setting traps for an upcoming horde of monsters. That will be a really interesting aspect to see and I hope it gets fleshed out well                                                                               

There is a lot in The Evil Within that reminds me of (the good things in) Resident Evil 4. The latter had a nice atmosphere and it was able to show us some nice environments (and even some creative enemies). I think the only things it didn’t do very well (or could have done better) were character development, script, and storyline. =P

The Evil Within strikes me as an incredibly dark video game. It doesn’t seem to be making room for any kind of "cheesiness" that might have been able to fit into a video game like Resident Evil 4 so we will just need to see what happens. The traps in The Evil Within seem to play a relatively important role here whether that means trapping the enemies or trapping the main character. I can't wait to see what Tango Gameworks has in store for everyone.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 21 of 286 (839 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2014

^Oh yeah, definitely. I'll be honest though. But I'm not expecting much character development. However, if they end up fleshing most of the characters, I'm all but willing to go with open arms for that and it would be cherry on top of the icing.

So far, I've also seen that there's been a significant amount of gore. I am the type of person who loves to see how gore is played out in different games, and this seems to be no exception. The slaughter room with the butcher and hanging bodies on the meat hooks was pretty gruesome as well. And I also believe we've seen one occasion in the trailer in which character has a chainsaw go through his stomach. There was also the one scene that the buthcher pushes a button to activate a row of spinning blades that close in on the character (he manages to escape). But I wonder how it would have ended if the character died in that. Not a pretty thought, that's for sure. But an interesting one. I imagine that the death scenes will be like the ones in Dead Space Robot Happy

young beard signature
Message 22 of 286 (827 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12492 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

^Oh yeah, definitely. I'll be honest though. But I'm not expecting much character development. However, if they end up fleshing most of the characters, I'm all but willing to go with open arms for that and it would be cherry on top of the icing.

So far, I've also seen that there's been a significant amount of gore. I am the type of person who loves to see how gore is played out in different games, and this seems to be no exception. The slaughter room with the butcher and hanging bodies on the meat hooks was pretty gruesome as well. And I also believe we've seen one occasion in the trailer in which character has a chainsaw go through his stomach. There was also the one scene that the buthcher pushes a button to activate a row of spinning blades that close in on the character (he manages to escape). But I wonder how it would have ended if the character died in that. Not a pretty thought, that's for sure. But an interesting one. I imagine that the death scenes will be like the ones in Dead Space Robot Happy

Some character development couldn’t hurt so I hope the development team doesn’t slack off with this. I personally cannot stand playing as generic characters with no personalities or backstories. Sebastian seems to have internal monologues and whatnot so I’m not too worried about this. Survival horror video games can have some pretty interesting characters so I’m hoping the development team will meet some sort of minimum standard here.

The Evil Within seems to be filled with blood and gore. That is probably going to turn some people away but it shouldn’t have a negative impact on too many survival horror gamers. Who knows? I like to see how death scenes in survival horror video games play out as well. There is usually quite a bit of creativity and variety here (or there can be depending on the video game). Resident Evil 4 was amazing with this. This video game had enemies that would impale Leon, rip his throat out, crush his bones, break his neck, melt his face off, and slice him in half. The list just goes on and on with this video game so I’m hoping that The Evil Within will have its spirit. Most of the time in Dead Space if Isaac wasn’t losing his head then he was losing his limbs (usually his arms). That works in the Dead Space universe and it is by no means ineffective but I’m hoping for something more elaborate with The Evil Within. After all, there will be different enemies, different traps, and different ways to die in this video game.

What a morbid post... My apologies! Smiley LOL

Message 23 of 286 (811 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2014

^Haha, that's okay, morbid topics are strangely interesting. But anyways, as long as the monologues aren't cheesy when the character talks, voice acting should'nt be too much of a problem. Many horror games I've played are usually good but with very cheesy dialogue and voice acting (something that I can't help but roll my eyes at). And yes, creative kills would without a doubt can give the game a lot depth. And I know it will turn a lot people away, but it is rated M for a reason and seems pertained to those with strong gut feelings. If a person can stand the violence of games like Mortal Combat, I think that person would be able to stand almost any gory game. Resident Evil 4 death scenes you mentioned.... now that was on a new level. I'm hoping it Evil Within can build upon that.

But that also leads to my other speculations. The enemy designs. So far, the monsters look a lttle more creative than most games, but I'm also hoping they come up with some very innovative enemy designs that can both gross out and strike fear in the player. Have you watched the movie called "The Thing (1980s version)"? If you haven't, I would definitely reccomend it. But anyway, the alien designs in that movie were strange and haunting (when they the humans into the aliens). I'm hoping for something as striking as that (although not as over-the-top). Here is the design

young beard signature
Message 24 of 286 (798 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12492 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

^Haha, that's okay, morbid topics are strangely interesting. But anyways, as long as the monologues aren't cheesy when the character talks, voice acting should'nt be too much of a problem. Many horror games I've played are usually good but with very cheesy dialogue and voice acting (something that I can't help but roll my eyes at). And yes, creative kills would without a doubt can give the game a lot depth. And I know it will turn a lot people away, but it is rated M for a reason and seems pertained to those with strong gut feelings. If a person can stand the violence of games like Mortal Combat, I think that person would be able to stand almost any gory game. Resident Evil 4 death scenes you mentioned.... now that was on a new level. I'm hoping it Evil Within can build upon that.

But that also leads to my other speculations. The enemy designs. So far, the monsters look a lttle more creative than most games, but I'm also hoping they come up with some very innovative enemy designs that can both gross out and strike fear in the player. Have you watched the movie called "The Thing (1980s version)"? If you haven't, I would definitely reccomend it. But anyway, the alien designs in that movie were strange and haunting (when they the humans into the aliens). I'm hoping for something as striking as that (although not as over-the-top). Here is the design

SNIP

I would absolutely love it if more survival horror video games had more creative enemy designs. The newer Silent Hill video games have really been slacking off in this department. Silent Hill: Downpour was pretty unacceptable with this and gave its players almost nothing but humanoid creatures. What were the developers thinking? I think if a development team is aiming to create a truly unforgettable survival horror video game then it needs to get creative. Minds need to wander into some dark places and put some truly meaningful concepts together. I think a survival horror video game is lacking if it doesn’t have some decent enemies adding to the overall experience.

I have probably had my fill of "gross things" from video games like Dead Space. There is nothing that I like more than a good survival/psychological horror video game but if it’s too gross then it runs a very high risk of disgusting me rather than scaring me. I can tolerate quite a bit but in the long run I would rather be afraid to look around a corner than be disgusted by what I see around it. If I thought The Evil Within was going to resemble the Dead Space video games in some manner then I probably wouldn’t be as enthusiastic about it as I am right now. That isn’t to say that there is anything wrong with the Dead Space video games. Different strokes for different folks!

Message 25 of 286 (792 Views)
Last Guardian
9942 posts

Mar 20, 2014
I would hope that there's some decent character development. One reason RE4 made me mad is because Leon went from caring and serious to a one liner toting action hero. He had no emotion and it really hurt his character.

In a game dealing with psychological horror, we should see Sebastian's inner demons and how he'll overcome them.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 26 of 286 (786 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 20, 2014

Yeah, I just realized that "The Thing" alien model I posted was too over-the-top! Smiley Very Happy. And I do agree though, I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of enemy designs. At the end of the game-play trailer, that strange ghost was, in my opinion, a chillingly good direction that they're going. And for some reason, the Silent Hill series have just been gone downhill (which is really disappointing considering how much I loved the originals). I do hope that the scares aren't filled with cheap jump scares (though I'm fine with a few)..... but I wouldn't worry too much as so far it looks really atmospheric.

I am happy that they're making this for last gen as well as I have not had the pleasure to play or own the PS4 yet. But then, of course, the question is: will visuals be held back for next gen because of current gen?

young beard signature
Message 27 of 286 (772 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9162 posts

Apr 9, 2014

They released a new trailer Of The Evil Within today.There will be a demo of the game this weekend on PAX East.Here the link of the article that was published on the Playstation blog.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/09/pax-east-2014-see-the-evil-within-in-action/#sf2516475

KANE-FIRE

Message 28 of 286 (727 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2014

New trailer looks awesome. I like the walk in the woods part in the beginning. It also reminds me more of the first Resident Evil now (which is a good thing for me). Also twoards the end, what's with the water creature? Smiley Surprised

young beard signature
Message 29 of 286 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Apr 9, 2014

The game looked awesome when I first saw the trailer.  Now it doesnt look as good as it did when they first showed it.  Unless the trailer is taken from the ps3 version the graphics isnt next gen at all.  Im stil going to buy it but they need to up the graphics to what they showed first.

Message 30 of 286 (721 Views)
0 Likes