Jan 27 2011
By: pitythefool852 Hekseville Citizen 376 posts

Ideas for NGP (PSP2) games and genres

7 replies 15 views Edited Jan 27, 2011

The Next Generation Portable has been announced, and, processor-wise, is a beast of a machine.

More than just raw power, Sony have filled its chunky body with an unprecedented range of sensors and input options.

My question is: What types of games would you like to see on the NGP that take advantage of all those crazy sensors.

Click here for the full system specs on the PlayStation Blog

Sensors and input methods include:

• 5-inch OLED capacitive multi-touch screen
  • Capacitive multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Standard PlayStation directional buttons, action buttons, and R1/L1 shoulder buttons
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
  • Microphone

This video of Uncharted being played on the NGP does a good job of showing a combination of input methods being used in a game.

Of course, for a game like Uncharted, many players may prefer the traditional control scheme, but the amount of sensors here could open the door to other game genres.  I'd really like to read your ideas below.

PityTheFool852

☆ Click to learn about the Japan Relief Fund on PS Store details ☆

Even if you can't donate to the fund yourself, please tell everyone you know on PSN about it, and mention it in your forum signatures :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Music games

Jan 27, 2011

The first idea that I had was for music games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

On the old DS Lite you had to purchase an add-on to get the buttons for playing guitar games.  This could be the first time that we don't have to pay extortionate amounts of money on cheap guitar accessories to play the game... Activision will not be pleased

On the NGP, you could use the touch pad on the rear of the device to play the music, whilst having an unobstructed view of the screen.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5052/5392425792_b7bfb44b64.jpg

And, with all its connectivity, Guitar Hero-style games on the NGP could have great multiplayer sessions with people going head-to-head or playing different instruments in co-op.

PityTheFool852

Even if you can't donate to the fund yourself, please tell everyone you know on PSN about it, and mention it in your forum signatures :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7474 posts

Re: Music games

Jan 27, 2011

Not Guitar Hero or Rockband, but DJMAX Portable (using physical buttons and NOT any of those touchpanels) with lots of very hard charts. I'll buy that system right away.

The reason I want (read: NEED) physical buttons for music games and DJMAX is that they are incredibly hard to do without physical feedback and harder charts will be impossible on touchpanels.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Monster battle NGP +trading card game

Jan 27, 2011

My second thought was augmented reality.

With the built-in camera and motion sensors, mass-market augmented reality games will be much easier to market.

I envision a monster battle game that combines augmented reality with physical trading cards that can be collected separately and used in-game.

The game could be similar to Invizimals on the PSP or Pokémon on the NDS.  The game would use the back camera's video as the background, and augment the monster battles into the video.  The difference (and selling point) is that physical "trading cards" would be released alongside the game.  The cards would feature a QR code on the reverse

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=150x150&choe=UTF-8&chld=H&chl=http://goo.gl/N285m

When the camera sees the QR code, like the one above, on the card, it recognises it and generates the monster in-game.  Therefore, by collecting physical trading cards you get more monsters to play with in the virtual world.

If Sony could licence one of the more popular Japanese cartoon franchises then the game would do much better than Invizimals

PityTheFool852

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Re: Monster battle NGP +trading card game

Jan 27, 2011

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Not Guitar Hero or Rockband, but DJMAX Portable (using physical buttons and NOT any of those touchpanels) with lots of very hard charts. I'll buy that system right away.

The reason I want (read: NEED) physical buttons for music games and DJMAX is that they are incredibly hard to do without physical feedback and harder charts will be impossible on touchpanels.

Spare a few clicks to my pet dragons?
Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!

Thanks for your feedback.  Are there any games that you'd like to see using the cameras, sensors, or touch pads?

PityTheFool852

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7474 posts

Re: Ideas for NGP (PSP2) games and genres

Jan 27, 2011

According to the Spec Sheets, there's a GPS module on the NGP/PSP2. Since Sony is intent on "merging virtual and real worlds" together, I think an exploration game where you can explore around your city, go off-road, go to special tourist spots and obscure places would be very nice. Once you come to a place, an award would be unlocked. There could be hidden and visible places to go to (or stuble to) and have plenty of real-world fun. Sort of like GeoCaching. Place an award at the North and South Pole, the middle of the Sahara, the Pyramids or even to the top of Everest for the hardcore adventurer!

And, without question, a SatNav system for car use.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jan 27, 2011

Idea for usage of microphone:

Instea of using button to give command (or controlling the game)

We can also use "speak" to control the game. 

Games are nowadays more complicated in terms of controlling them, they assign all the buttons to control and still not enough.  So they use something like L+O button to make more controls available.  Sometimes you use one button, namely the select button, only to pull out a list of other commands (such as use fire magic, water magic, telling NPC to do something etc.) in order to control your character or play the games.

But what if we can, say speaking "fireball" out loud in front of NGP, then our character will react and shoot out fireball?  What if we can say "follow me!" in front of your NGP, then the NPC controlled character will follow you?

This will certainly change the way we play game: we don't need to press a lot of buttons anymore, or we don't need to press a button only to recall more "button".  I think this is what they should add in games.

As far as the button placement goes, I prefer Sony will switch the Analog button with the directional button in terms of positioning them on the left side.  I really don't like the to place the directional button that high, considering that many more games nowadays using the analog button instead of directional button.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jan 27, 2011

More Medal of honor, i really think they should do somthin with the accelerometer but keep buttons for the most part.

3DS VS PSP2 Hhmmmm..... that's easy. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (15 Views)
0 Likes