MVP Support
11156 posts

Re: If you want me to buy the PS4 then listen to that!

Apr 13, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
No it's jus some people hate disconnecting the wires and hooking up the new one every time you wanna play a new system. Some people only have one had I slot on thier tv. It sucks.

For a bit more than $10, you can turn one HDMI port into 3.

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PET0301S-HDMI-Switcher-Support/dp/B00B46XUQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=136...

Message 21 of 33 (102 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 13, 2013

I still have my PS3 but me buying another PS3 in the future is highly unlikely. Want to know what's ironic? Many of the people who complain about backwards compatibility increasing the price of the console are the same one's that go out and re-buy those old games again on the new console, which means that they are spending extra money just to be able to play those old games on the new console.  Well, the fanbase have spoken I suppose...

Message 22 of 33 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Apr 13, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I still have my PS3 but me buying another PS3 in the future is highly unlikely. Want to know what's ironic? Many of the people who complain about backwards compatibility increasing the price of the console are the same one's that go out and re-buy those old games again on the new console, which means that they are spending extra money just to be able to play those old games on the new console.  Well, the fanbase have spoken I suppose...

you do make a valid point but the PS4 being closer to a PC like system and the PS3's cell it would be a very expensive and most likely very unreliable system..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 23 of 33 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 13, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Backwards compatibility has become a bit of a standard with many products these days; such as with iTunes, Google Play. Steam, etc. Not to mention the same people who argue against backwards compatibility are the same ones that go out and buy those HD collections...

I don't understand what you are talking about here...  backward compatibility in iTunes?  iTunes is a media application.  There is no need for it to be 'backward compatible' since it deals with media files (and works with most formats).  Same with Google Play.  Steam is a software delivery system dealing with PC and Mac software.

On Macs, Lion and Mountain Lion (OS 10.7; 10.8) are not backward compatible with software designed for Tiger and Leopard (OS 10.4; 10.5) due to Apple's switch from IBM PowerPC 32-bit (which the XBox720 is supposedly switching to) to Intel iCore 64-bit.

On PCs, WinVista, 7, 8 are generally not compatible with software written for previous Windows versions due to massive changes in the kernels (core OS components) used in newer versions.

What I mean is when you buy something from the iTunes app store, your downloads transfer to the new device...Like your iPhone or iPad, same with Android. At least most of your stuff can transfer, right? The point is, people generally expect their purchased content, at least digital content, to transfer to their new device. People on this site seem to act like it’s so wrong to expect that…

As for PC backwards compatibility, I don't know too much about PC compatibility so I won't pretend to know, but doesn’t a simple patch fix the incompatibility issues on the new Windows OS? The point I am trying to make is why do people think that others wanting support for their purchased content on their new system is unreasonable? Sure, they can use their old machine to play their old games, but I don’t understand the attitude of the posters here who regularly attack others for wanting a feature that Sony themselves started. It’s not just people on this forum, you can find similar people on other forums as well.

I am well aware that the PS3 and PS4 use different architecture so I don’t need anyone to tell me. This is not about that. This is about others criticizing those who want backwards compatibility. I think of iTunes, Android, PSN as ecosystems.

Sony should have designed the pS3 in a way where it can be easily emulated in the future but they did not…

Message 24 of 33 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Apr 13, 2013

i think Sony thought the cell would be a thing of future consoles but it just didn't take off...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 25 of 33 (86 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 13, 2013

kythunder wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

you do make a valid point but the PS4 being closer to a PC like system and the PS3's cell it would be a very expensive and most likely very unreliable system..

That is true; it would be a big headache...

Message 26 of 33 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 13, 2013

kythunder wrote:

i think Sony thought the cell would be a thing of future consoles but it just didn't take off...

That is true, they were very confident that every device would use it but indeed, that's not the case, which is why I consider the Cell processor a failure.

Message 27 of 33 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
80 posts

Apr 13, 2013

Um... What? :/

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Message 28 of 33 (78 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Apr 13, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Backwards compatibility has become a bit of a standard with many products these days; such as with iTunes, Google Play. Steam, etc. Not to mention the same people who argue against backwards compatibility are the same ones that go out and buy those HD collections...

I don't understand what you are talking about here...  backward compatibility in iTunes?  iTunes is a media application.  There is no need for it to be 'backward compatible' since it deals with media files (and works with most formats).  Same with Google Play.  Steam is a software delivery system dealing with PC and Mac software.

On Macs, Lion and Mountain Lion (OS 10.7; 10.8) are not backward compatible with software designed for Tiger and Leopard (OS 10.4; 10.5) due to Apple's switch from IBM PowerPC 32-bit (which the XBox720 is supposedly switching to) to Intel iCore 64-bit.

On PCs, WinVista, 7, 8 are generally not compatible with software written for previous Windows versions due to massive changes in the kernels (core OS components) used in newer versions.

What I mean is when you buy something from the iTunes app store, your downloads transfer to the new device...Like your iPhone or iPad, same with Android. At least most of your stuff can transfer, right? The point is, people generally expect their purchased content, at least digital content, to transfer to their new device. People on this site seem to act like it’s so wrong to expect that…

As for PC backwards compatibility, I don't know too much about PC compatibility so I won't pretend to know, but doesn’t a simple patch fix the incompatibility issues on the new Windows OS? The point I am trying to make is why do people think that others wanting support for their purchased content on their new system is unreasonable? Sure, they can use their old machine to play their old games, but I don’t understand the attitude of the posters here who regularly attack others for wanting a feature that Sony themselves started. It’s not just people on this forum, you can find similar people on other forums as well.

I am well aware that the PS3 and PS4 use different architecture so I don’t need anyone to tell me. This is not about that. This is about others criticizing those who want backwards compatibility. I think of iTunes, Android, PSN as ecosystems.

Sony should have designed the pS3 in a way where it can be easily emulated in the future but they did not…

Yeah, but the thing with iPhone/iPad, what's the difference between the new one and the old one? Few couple features? Maybe a better camera? Faster processor? (But same style processor?)

At their core, phones/tablets/PCs are relatively unchanged. All that changes is that they get "faster".

Saying B/C is available on phones/tablets is especially useless. What's the difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4? One has a nicer screen and a SLIGHTLY better processor. That's it. The OS on both is the same. So of course it'd be able to run just fine. It's like replacing the graphics card on your PC. Your PC is no different.

Game consoles go through an entire architecture change. The OS completely changes. The hardware changes. Which makes B/C more difficult/costly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 29 of 33 (78 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 13, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Yeah, but the thing with iPhone/iPad, what's the difference between the new one and the old one? Few couple features? Maybe a better camera? Faster processor? (But same style processor?)

At their core, phones/tablets/PCs are relatively unchanged. All that changes is that they get "faster".

Saying B/C is available on phones/tablets is especially useless. What's the difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4? One has a nicer screen and a SLIGHTLY better processor. That's it. The OS on both is the same. So of course it'd be able to run just fine. It's like replacing the graphics card on your PC. Your PC is no different.

Game consoles go through an entire architecture change. The OS completely changes. The hardware changes. Which makes B/C more difficult/costly.

I know lol

The point I am trying to make is that many people expect their digital content to transfer over to their new device even though the average consumer is not always aware of the architecture change in consoles.  When people complain at the lack of backwards compatibility, people should gently tell them why there is no backwards compatibility rather than get mad at them. That’s all I am trying to say.

Message 30 of 33 (75 Views)
0 Likes