Reply
Oct 18 2013
By: hudsontruss360 First Son 6 posts
Offline

Improve the video quality for the PS2

17 replies 292 views Edited Oct 18, 2013

So I have a PS2 and I want to improve the quality of it for my HDTV. Right now I am using an AV cable and it looks horrible. I found this

 

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-S-Video-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000N5JS5A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&...

 

The reviews on it were saying it was good. I'm looking to see if I can up the quality of it to 1080p, I know that's a long shot, but tell me guys what you think is available to use. If some people can tell me with some of their own experience that would be good.  Money is not an issue to me right now. 

Message 1 of 18 (292 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8179 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

Oct 18, 2013
The PS2 does not have enough power to output real HD resolutions.

You will get better quality once you switch to those cables though, because S-Video blows away that standard composite yellow plug.

But your best option is to pick up a Component Cable (NOT to be confused with Composite). Component Cable will allow you to output games in Progressive Scan for games that support it, and will get you the sharpest picture you can possibly ever get.
Message 2 of 18 (286 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28826 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

Oct 18, 2013

Buy a calendar and see that it's currently 2013.

Message 3 of 18 (276 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/30/2008
Offline
3334 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

Oct 18, 2013
I have that cable. It makes it noticeably better.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 18 (275 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 10/01/2008
Online
9338 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2013

hudsontruss360 wrote:

So I have a PS2 and I want to improve the quality of it for my HDTV. Right now I am using an AV cable and it looks horrible. I found this

 

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-S-Video-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000N5JS5A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&...

 

The reviews on it were saying it was good. I'm looking to see if I can up the quality of it to 1080p, I know that's a long shot, but tell me guys what you think is available to use. If some people can tell me with some of their own experience that would be good.  Smiley TongueMoney is not an issue to me right now.Smiley Tongue 


*Checks to see if this is a necrobump thread*

 

I can remember back about 10 years ago around the turn of the century, I got an S-Video cable for my PS2 and the picture was much clearer than the standard AV cable, as I recall. But if money is not an issue, why not go on Ebay and get an old 60gb PS3, they were backwards compatible with PS2 games and you could use an HDMI cord with a 60gb PS3, the picture might be even clearer.

 

tumblr_lt6njcOPla1qcabkd.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 5 of 18 (249 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/29/2010
Online
4922 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

Oct 18, 2013

When I first connected my PS2 to my HDTV, I immediately noticed that the picture looked much more blurry than it did on a standard definition TV. The solution is to buy a component AV cable. That will make the picture much clearer. The difference is like night and day.

 

Here it is:

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-component-a-v-cable-for-playstation-3/8223013.p?id=1166840115294&sk...

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 6 of 18 (229 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

Oct 18, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Buy a calendar and see that it's currently 2013.


What's wrong with playing PS2 games? lol

Message 7 of 18 (210 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Online
5477 posts
 

Re: Improve the video quality for the PS2

Oct 18, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

When I first connected my PS2 to my HDTV, I immediately noticed that the picture looked much more blurry than it did on a standard definition TV. The solution is to buy a component AV cable. That will make the picture much clearer. The difference is like night and day.

 

Here it is:

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-component-a-v-cable-for-playstation-3/8223013.p?id=1166840115294&sk...


I did the same thing back in 2008.  Works like a charm.  Get the component cable, for sure.  And, for the naysayers, I'm getting wireless controllers for my PS2 by the holidays, just in case Gaikai is slow on the uptake (read: no Manhunt, I don't box up my PS2/or I'll buy it on the PSN).

Grindhead_Jim

Message 8 of 18 (187 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 10/12/2013
Offline
174 posts
 

Best projector for PS1/PS2/PS3?

Oct 18, 2013

I was going to start a new thread but this looks like the best one to ask in.

 

Right now I'm looking for the best option for SD gaming that can display PS1/2/3 games from my PS3(mostly the first 2) the way they were meant to be seen. I was thinking a flat CRT but there doesn't appear to be too many models that were thin, flat and lightweight. A projector would be the easiest solution and being able to unfocus the image might make some games look a little nicer.

 

HD is out because I don't want to burn my retinas with upscaled PS1 games. I was thining SVGA 600 or lower, even saw one that outputs 320x240 but that might not work so well with the PS3.

 

Does anyone have any recommendations for SD retro setups?

 

Message 9 of 18 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Online
5477 posts
 

Re: Best projector for PS1/PS2/PS3?

Oct 18, 2013

BillyOneironaut wrote:

I was going to start a new thread but this looks like the best one to ask in.

 

Right now I'm looking for the best option for SD gaming that can display PS1/2/3 games from my PS3(mostly the first 2) the way they were meant to be seen. I was thinking a flat CRT but there doesn't appear to be too many models that were thin, flat and lightweight. A projector would be the easiest solution and being able to unfocus the image might make some games look a little nicer.

 

HD is out because I don't want to burn my retinas with upscaled PS1 games. I was thining SVGA 600 or lower, even saw one that outputs 320x240 but that might not work so well with the PS3.

 

Does anyone have any recommendations for SD retro setups?

 


If you want a decent-sized CRT that is also light, you are not going to find anything.  Look to be lifting with your legs if you want anything bigger than 27".  I have a 32" flat CRT from Sanyo that worked like a charm, but that bad boy was a solid 200 pounds.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 10 of 18 (171 Views)