Highlighted
Apr 15 2013
By: KillaCam7I3 Splicer 47 posts

In Your Opinion: Is There Going to Be Any Real Competition Next Gen?

10 replies 217 views Edited Apr 15, 2013

Microsoft's (exclusive) games have been a dead pool for years, now. They just keep microwaving the same three. Gears' ratings (professional AND consumer) have dropped significantly. Something tells me that next gen they'll make one or two new IPs, and live off of kinect shovelware.

Wii U is getting passed on by third party support, and I really don't even consider it "next gen."

The PS3 is pretty much over, but Sony's still releasing new IPs and and big name exclusives. I think the reasons that this gen was so close was that Sony came out being pretty cocky with the $599.99 dollar price tag with very few exclusives. They got on track in 09, and have evened things up after being an entire year late to the generation.

Seeing as how Sony (probably) won't start off foolishly again, I wouldn't be surprised if they steam-rolled the competion again. But, I hope they DO NOT. I hope that there is stiff competion, so that Sony doesn't get complacent and cocky again. With that said, the brands have been looking pretty bleak for the past few years.

Message 1 of 11 (217 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28544 posts

Re: In Your Opinion: Is There Going to Be Any Real Competition Next Gen?

Apr 15, 2013

It really is difficult to say. I'm not being a wise guy here, but we don't know enough about the PS4, and we haven't seen anything from Microsoft yet.

Message 2 of 11 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

Of course there will. One will always try to be better than the other, and if not, then it'll at least try to seem that way. Now for us gamers we kinda know which will be the most competitive. Looking how the Wii U is doing (from my perspective) I don't see it as a great threat to neither Sony nor Microsoft. The new XBOX could come to compete head-to-head against the PlayStation 4, but we need to wait for that. The PS4 is showing great and  interesting ways to play it, but we shall see if these "hyped" news really stand up in the following months. Regarless, I'm still getting the PlayStation 4 along with the Wii U and XBOX 738.4. I'm a gamer, and I must own 'em all, lol....

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 3 of 11 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3167 posts

Apr 15, 2013

time will tell, a lot of people didn't think the ps3 was going to catch up to the 360 but it did, so we won't know if one will get a head of the other. We will have to wait and see.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 4 of 11 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11716 posts

Apr 15, 2013

No doubt, we'll be seeing competition in the current/upcoming generation that's already begun. Mostly it's been fought on the handheld side so far, which Nintendo appears to be in the lead as per usual. On the console side Microsoft will most likely keep their deal with Activision close at hand by regulating exclusivity over Call of Duty's multiplayer future. Apart from that it's a mystery what they'll be doing next or along the way as we have yet to see the next Xbox in any shape or form.

As for Nintendo, I wouldn't count them out of the picture. Nintendo may not be getting the same support from third-parties, but it does have a range of extremely strong first-party franchises that will attract millions of customers in the end. Mario and Zelda are capable of selling platforms alone. Add some Donkey Kong, Metroid, or even Pikmin on top of that and you have winning combo. Really though, I'd care to see more from the Wii U than just the same old repeats.

Message 5 of 11 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6830 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It really is difficult to say. I'm not being a wise guy here, but we don't know enough about the PS4, and we haven't seen anything from Microsoft yet.

I have  seen a few things from  720 tech demos and game demos. power procession or it that progression? its look ok. Its a  romour that m$ is not going to make alot of games.. They  are going to go a new route and try to be a social  console with lited aa in house games . I think ruse and froza  racing will be those 2 games at launch from in house M$, it also rumered alot of gameing content will not be the same on  either console. They will be paying devs to make the game different for  the 720 console..  Like the game   "destiny" will be very different rp 720.  . The games will be more whole in content and other will not have  those parts of the game. 

I think nintendo use to do  that back in the day when  they made games, the games where diffrent but the same game.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 6 of 11 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Apr 15, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Mario and Zelda are capable of selling platforms alone. Add some Donkey Kong, Metroid, or even Pikmin on top of that and you have winning combo. Really though, I'd care to see more from the Wii U than just the same old repeats.

Totally agree, but where are those Mario, Zelda, Metroid games? Nintendo could be ontop of everybody if they focused more on their first party games. Why can't they realise that? Smiley Sad

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 7 of 11 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6830 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Mario and Zelda are capable of selling platforms alone. Add some Donkey Kong, Metroid, or even Pikmin on top of that and you have winning combo. Really though, I'd care to see more from the Wii U than just the same old repeats.

Totally agree, but where are those Mario, Zelda, Metroid games? Nintendo could be ontop of everybody if they focused more on their first party games. Why can't they realise that? Smiley Sad

nintendo  is not  good in  that area any more "making mass games".. They have to many perfectionist devs  at nintendo.  They feel they need to give the  nintendo fans  those cod games and  assian creeds, the gta games etc etc.. Be a little more 3rd party friendly like in the past. Which not a  bad idea/ But they have to many perfectionist there so it takes a long time  for them to get  with it.

Me personally i think   they should have waited to make  wii u and  just stayed strong with the hand held market  . They have alot of good 3ds  devs  and games f& can/  could at least  have 30-50AAA  games  upon release if  they told them to make a console game for a  wii u  later in the year 2013  or better yet  janury 2014.

I also think nintendo is  was never really  really big   in  buying  computer chip stuff  like amd, nvdia, etc etc.. Only 1 console they have made that really stood out was the  n64 and that mario games mario  64. The rest has  been far fetch in  qaulity,.wii  gaming graphics are  pityful at best.. even 3ds games  look better than full consle wii games..

I think they need to find a better a hardware maker. Maybe team up leveno or dell or something..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 8 of 11 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Apr 15, 2013

I think Microsoft knows they need exclusives this time around, whether they deliver or not we'll just have to wait and see. The Wii U is interesting to me. I can't really say how things will go but I do plan on buying one this year.

As per usual my main platform will be Sony again. Things look really good.

Sony doesn't need competition to keep quality levels up. Look at PSone and PS2. They decimated and still had the best games you could find. IMO I did like a few Gamcube games.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 9 of 11 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Apr 15, 2013
MS IMO really isn't too concerned about making many games. I think their new console is going to be more about syncing Windows 8 tablets and phones together and incorporating them.into the games on the console. They've already got a huge user base, no need to fret.
Message 10 of 11 (117 Views)
0 Likes