Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 12 2012
By: NeonReaver Treasure Hunter 6080 posts

Is Google not working for on PS3 anymore for anyone else?

19 replies 2822 views Edited Jan 12, 2012

I can't search for anything now on Google on the PS3. It keeps giving me a "Not enough memory" message and it turns the page solid white like it does when there isn't enough memory. This just started within the past two days.

Message 1 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Is Google not working for on PS3 anymore for anyone else?

Jan 12, 2012

Haven't tried it, but have you tried using the search function on the XMB? I'm wondering if that will work.

Message 2 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 12, 2012

Is your hard drive getting very full?

Message 3 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6080 posts

Jan 12, 2012

No I still have 40GB left. I found out how to fix it though. Just turn off Javascript. Still doesn't explain why it just started happening two days ago. I've read other people talking about it.

Message 4 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jan 12, 2012

Hmmm, well, it seems like I have the same problem, it says that "there is not enough memory, it was replaced with a blank page"

Message 5 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Jan 12, 2012

in order to fix the issue you must open browser press triangle / then delete cookies , delete cache , and delete authentification information / if that still doesnt fix it then go ahead and open browser press triangle go to java script and turn it off /

Message 6 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jan 13, 2012

All you need to do is turn JavaScript off (press Triangle button, select Tools, JavaScript, Off).

Some sites etc require JavaScript, so if something that previously worked (bookmarklet etc), stops working, turn JavaScript back on.

It is rather feeble that Google can't even put up with a tiny bit of competition for its Chrome browser and doesn't even ensure that Google searches work in the PS3 browser... Yes, you can still use the actual "Search" feature of the browser, but that yields a cut down version of Google's search results which are completely unnecessary.

Sony should demand they fix this issue, given that Sony are presently the only TV manufacturer that ships Google TV in their televisions.

Message 7 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 13, 2012

Seeing quite a few reports about this on several sites now. I can't use Google now either. This browser was never a gem, but it's shortcomings are getting long in the tooth now. Update the damn thing already. Having to disbale Java is not an answer. Need Java to make half of the internet run, including most videos.

Message 8 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 13, 2012

Tribble6 wrote:

It is rather feeble that Google can't even put up with a tiny bit of competition for its Chrome browser and doesn't even ensure that Google searches work in the PS3 browser... Yes, you can still use the actual "Search" feature of the browser, but that yields a cut down version of Google's search results which are completely unnecessary.

That's probably not the case. The PS3 web browser is incredibly outdated. It's like trying to surf the web with Internet Explorer 6 on a PC; page content will break or be unable to render at all, because the internet is moving on without you and your outdated web browser. It's not Google trying to shut down competition, because other modern web browsers like their competitor Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 9 can browse just fine.

It's an issue that you need to take up with Sony.

Message 9 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jan 13, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

That's probably not the case. The PS3 web browser is incredibly outdated. It's like trying to surf the web with Internet Explorer 6 on a PC; page content will break or be unable to render at all, because the internet is moving on without you and your outdated web browser. It's not Google trying to shut down competition, because other modern web browsers like their competitor Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 9 can browse just fine.

It's an issue that you need to take up with Sony.

Actually, the reality may be somewhere in the middle. For example, on Google's last birthday I updated the Google site (via PS3 Bookmarklet) to address all outstanding issues (had "More" menu working perfectly etc) and what was Google's response, they removed the menu completely... On YouTube have similar Tom and Jerry shenanigans, where they throw a banana peel into the mix (e.g. use superfluous "opacity: 0" style to hide menus, as well as "display: none" style etc), which I have to work around, which just means it takes me a few extra hours to get things working (I've given up updating Google itself).

Given that I've offered to put my browser technical knowledge into the public domain, it would actually take Google a minimum amount of effort to get YouTube at least working fully in the existing PS3 browser (Google searches would require trivial changes) , but they have shown no signs of interest, probably because they have been heavily pushing Chrome (you must of seen at least one advert for Chrome browser) as used in Google TV etc. Funny thing is, Chrome browser in Google TV is version 11 (current version is 16), which is an ancient version that can actually be more unstable than the PS3 browser (you get an "Aw, Snap!" error when it crashes - at least it only crashes browser and not whole system...).

Message 10 of 20 (2,822 Views)
0 Likes