May 26 2005
By: ChuckS.~ Hekseville Citizen 339 posts

Is Sony claiming that the PS3 is 12x as powerful than the PS2???

23 replies 5 views Edited May 26, 2005
I thought I read that somewhere???
Message 1 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
854 posts

Re: Is Sony claiming that the PS3 is 12x as powerful than the PS2???

May 26, 2005

Chuck S. wrote:

No, they're claiming that it will be 35 times more powerful.
Message 2 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2795 posts

May 26, 2005

Malloc wrote:

Chuck S. wrote:

I,thought it was 100 times more powerfull? though this was when they,first started making the Cell chip and they were talking about using 6,of them in it.
Message 3 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

May 26, 2005

,Traiklin wrote:

,Malloc wrote:

,Chuck S. wrote:

I thought it was 100 times more powerfull? though this was when they first started making the Cell chip and they were talking about using 6 of them in it.

Their using one cell at 3.2ghz. ,
Message 4 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
854 posts

May 26, 2005

Traiklin wrote:

Malloc wrote:

Chuck S. wrote:

I,thought it was 100 times more powerfull? though this was when they,first started making the Cell chip and they were talking about using 6,of them in it.

Ya, they did say that it will be 100 times more powerful earlier, but now apparently it will be 35 times more powerful (link).  I guess it depends on how they calculate performance.
Message 5 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

May 26, 2005
Um how much do any of you know of the CELL therory?
Have you been folling the Report and rumors?

Cell therory is that the CELL architecture is Expansive by adding more Systems wich use the CPU onto a network. It advantage iteslf off Shared computing with every device on your network. I dont think this works with existing devices. But it adds tremendous potential to your system is say you computer has a CELL CPU inside. What this means is that the PS3 is mearly a launch platform for this chip. So if you later buy a Coputer which uses the chip and your not using it while playing the PS3, the PS3 can tap into the CPU in the Computer for more power.
Creative ehh? if it works, it definitly makes the system more powerfull.

Now a RUMOR i heard at EB. I was told that they read that the CORE of both the CELL and the XB2, CPUs are the same. The difrence being that the architecture on top of the core is Certainly diffrent. IBM makes the cores so they use the latest in tech which IBM is the jugernaught at this time. I was also told by the same guy that the XB2 chip is a triple Core 64bitPPC. Can any one say a "Three Chip Machintosh G6?"

If the above rumor is true then assume this, at this point XB2 is probly more powerfull (by using three cores), However The CELL Architecture is Expandable, giving it the ability to Gain performance. Not only that but the advance in the chips makes this highly competative. The Rest of the power will be in the Logic bord, the I/O controller, and the software.

My take on all this...
PS2 works fine for me. Anthing more and Ill need Cyborg eyes to tell the difrences.
Message 6 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

May 26, 2005
35X more, huh? Well, then...what the Hell Happened? This is why I don't trust Sony anymore. FIrst, they said the PS2 would be 1,000 times the power of PS1. Now, according to the following article, Sony claimed that the cell would make the PS3 would be = to 100 Intel 4 chips, and be 1,000 X faster than the PS2.

Posted on Tue, Mar. 04, 2003
Dean Takahashi

Mercury News

Sony's next-generation video-game console, due in just two years, will feature a revolutionary architecture that will allow it to pack the processing power of a hundred of today's personal computers on a single chip and tap the resources of additional computers using high-speed network connections.

If key technical hurdles are overcome, the ``cell microprocessor'' technology, described in a patent Sony quietly secured in September, could help the Japanese electronics giant achieve the industry's holy grail: a cheap, all-in-one box for the home that can record television shows, surf the Net in 3-D, play music and run movie-like video games.

Besides the PlayStation 3 game console, Sony and its partners, IBM and Toshiba, hope to use the same basic chip design -- which organizes small groups of microprocessors to work together like bees in a hive -- for a range of computing devices, from tiny handheld personal digital assistants to the largest corporate servers.

If the partners succeed in crafting such a modular, all-purpose chip, it would challenge the dominance of Intel and other chip makers that make specialized chips for each kind of electronic device.

``This is a new class of beast,'' said Richard Doherty, an analyst at the Envisioneering Group in Seaford, N.Y. ``There is nothing like this project when it comes to how far-reaching it will be.''

Game industry insiders became aware of Sony's patent in the past few weeks, and the technology is expected to be a hot topic at the Game Developers Conference in San Jose this week. Since it can take a couple of years to write a game for a new system, developers will be pressing Sony and its rivals for technical details of their upcoming boxes, which are scheduled to debut in 2005.

Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's game division and mastermind of the company's last two game boxes, is betting that in an era of networked devices, many distributed processors working together will be able to outperform a single processor, such as the Pentium chip at the heart of most PCs.

With the PS 3, Sony will apparently put 72 processors on a single chip: eight PowerPC microprocessors, each of which controls eight auxiliary processors.

Using sophisticated software to manage the workload, the PowerPC processors will divide complicated problems into smaller tasks and tap as many of the auxiliary processors as necessary to tackle them.

``The cell processors won't work alone,'' Doherty said. ``They will work in teams to handle the tasks at hand, no matter whether it is processing a video game or communications.''

As soon as each processor or team finishes its job, it will be immediately redeployed to do something else.

Such complex, on-the-fly coordination is a technical challenge, and not just for Sony. Game developers warn that the cell chips do so many things at once that it could be a nightmare writing programs for them -- the same complaint they originally had about the PlayStation 2, Sony's current game console.

But Sony and its partners believe that if they can coordinate those processors at maximum efficiency, the PS 3 will be able to process a trillion math operations per second -- the equivalent of 100 Intel Pentium 4 chips and 1,000 times faster than processing power of the PS 2.

That kind of power would likely enable the PS 3 to simultaneously handle a wide range of electronic tasks in the home. For example, the kids might be able to race each other in a Grand Prix video game while Dad records an episode of ``The Simpsons.''

``The home server and the PS 3 may be the same thing,'' said Kunitake Ando, president and chief operating officer of Sony, at a recent dinner in Las Vegas.

Sony officials said that one key feature of the cell design is that if a device doesn't have enough processing power itself to handle everything, it can reach out to unused processors across the Internet and tap them for help.

Peter Glaskowsky, editor of the Microprocessor Report, said Sony is ``being too ambitious'' with the networked aspect of the cell design because even the fastest Internet connections are usually way too slow to coordinate tasks efficiently.

Nintendo will likely focus on making a pure game box, but Microsoft, like Sony, envisions its next game console as a universal digital box.

A big risk for Sony and its allies is that in their quest to create a universal cell-based chip, they might compromise the PS 3's core video-game functionality. Chips suitable for a handheld, for example, might not be powerful enough to handle gaming tasks.

Sony has tried to address this problem by making the cell design modular; it can add more processors for a server, or use fewer of them in a handheld device.

But observers remain skeptical. ``It's very hard to use a special-purpose design across a lot of products, and this sounds like a very special-purpose chip,'' Glaskowsky said.

The processors will be primed for operation in a broadband, Net-connected environment and will be connected by a next-generation high-speed technology developed by Rambus of Los Altos.

Message 7 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
184 posts

May 26, 2005
It's all hype and assumptions, just like the fact the ps3 isn't even finished and all the demo's at e3 were movies, no actual gameplay at all. The guy was using a old DS2 controller, I doubt if the boomarang or whatever the hell it is even has guts in it. Sony's got everyone excited telling them thats what they can expect and they don't even know themselves. They knew they needed something at e3 to showup the 360 and they had some quick movies madeup  to wow everybody.
HYPE,HYPE!
Message 8 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4437 posts

May 26, 2005

,grapony wrote:
It's all hype and assumptions, just like the fact the ps3 isn't even finished and all the demo's at e3 were movies, no actual gameplay at all. The guy was using a old DS2 controller, I doubt if the boomarang or whatever the hell it is even has guts in it. Sony's got everyone excited telling them thats what they can expect and they don't even know themselves. They knew they needed something at e3 to showup the 360 and they had some quick movies madeup  to wow everybody.
HYPE,HYPE!

You got that right.  Any time you hear that something is "x times more powerful" than something else, realize that the marketing people made up that number.  They probably compared the theoretical maximum computational performance of the PS3 with the real-world performance of the PS2.
Message 9 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
559 posts

May 26, 2005

as long as the ps3 is better then the ps2 in some way it doesnt matter i will still buy it........

and we all know sony won at E3 http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/616/616979/vids_1.html

Games the kick ass
Area 51
Socom 1 and 2
Ghost recon 1 (not 2 it sucks)
and we all should
Welcome Chang3

i am a xbox owner, and i ps2 owner over all i would say the ps2 wins cause of there many games, and the xbox gots halo 2 so thats y i got it..
Message 10 of 24 (5 Views)
0 Likes