Jun 29 2013
By: Shadyhere Fender Bender 3400 posts

Is the Vita Dead?

20 replies 1146 views Edited Jun 29, 2013

A few months ago I owned a PS Vita and I sold it rougly two months after owning it. I loved what the device brought to the table but, it just seemed to be lacking what mattered the most... GAMES! Personally I loved Mortal Kombat, MGS collection and Madden on the go but, it just seems like the console has nothing going for it. Even the PSP titles were couldve used an update. I waited weeks for them to make MGS Portable Ops compatible and it never happened.

To make a long story short I bought a PSP to fulfill my portable needs, I also could not sell the console with 16gb memory and games for over $200. Nobody on craigslist was interested. SO I was forced to trade in.

Recently I had some extra cash and was thinking of picking up a Vita again but, I realized there was not point to it. Personally I'm a sports guy and I enjoy my sports games, there will be sports games outside of FIFA 14 and MLB on the console. E3 showed that the Vita has nothing big going for it either. I even checked the IGN list and there is nothing that interest on the upcoming list.

The console needs a good title like a GTA game (even a San Andreas port would lure me into purchasing one) but, it just seems like the console is mediocore and has nothing that will seriously raise the interest of consumers in the near future. How long till we can say it's "dead"?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Only a coward accepts Death"

"
Only a coward accepts death"
Message 1 of 21 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Re: Is the Vita Dead?

Jun 29, 2013
I would say YES. I haven't touched my Vita for a few months now and I won't until the Killzone Beta in August . There's nothing new for it and everything else I have gotten tired of playing. But that's my opinion Smiley Happy
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 2 of 21 (1,128 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2609 posts

Jun 29, 2013

The problem is that the Vita is stuck in a catch-22. No one buys it because it doesn't have the games, but it doesn't have the games because no one buys it. A price cut would help sales, and more Vitas means more games.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 3 of 21 (1,125 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
522 posts

Jun 29, 2013

The PS4 will help the Vita sell

Message 4 of 21 (1,121 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Jun 29, 2013
i still play mine i love the psp titles how they are
Message 5 of 21 (1,119 Views)
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Jun 29, 2013

I had one at luanch and loved Uncharted on it. I went through a phase where i wasn't really playing much. Now I regret it. I understand feeling that there might not be too many games. But with PS+ and PS4 coming up, I am right on the edge of rebuying one. I am just waiting on the Walking Dead bundle to see how much it will be. I would get the AC bundle, but I don't want a white one.

Message 6 of 21 (1,090 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8181 posts

Jun 29, 2013
I still use mine everyday, so it really depends on the person.
Message 7 of 21 (1,065 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jun 29, 2013

Short Answer: No, the Vita is not dead.

Long Answer:

The Vita has plenty of great games IF you have a broad taste in various genres. If you only have interest in predominantly one genre, like sports, then yes it's not worth it to you. I'm not a fan of sports video games, so I don't personally care. A lot of people whine about the lack of an exclusive native JRPG, but that's not a genre I'm into, so again, that doesn't matter to me.

For portable gaming, I like platformers, adventure games, and puzzle games, of which the Vita has plenty.

It's all a matter of personal taste. The Vita is not going anywhere and a lot of devs have expressed interest. Some may scoff at the plethora of indie devs, but interest is interest and I've played plenty of indie games that I've found far superior to many AAA titles. A Sony exec also stated that, whereas E3 was a PS4 showcase, Gamescom will be a Vita showcase, so Sony hasn't given up yet either, and if you follow Shahid Ahmad on Twitter, you'll see that's the case as well.

As was stated, the PS4 will push some Vita sales and I think we'll start to see more bigger name developers announce some Vita titles around the end of the year...though of course that won't satisfy people since they'll probably all be "Late 2014" titles. Honestly, if Vita owners want AAA exclusives to come to the Vita, they should buy Tearaway, KZ:M, or both. Show developers that there's a market for $40+ Vita exclusives and they will come. It's all about the money.

Message 8 of 21 (1,060 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jun 29, 2013
I'll admit that the Vita is lacking any kind of steadily released system sellers, but as a Vita owner, I play it everyday, and I've been enjoying many of the indie titles we've gotten recently (Guacamelee, Hotline Miami, Thomas was Alone) far more than I have any other games on PS3 or Vita. I'm also quite excited for the other indie titles in the pipeline, like Terraria and Lone Survivor, not to mention Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway.
Message 9 of 21 (1,039 Views)
Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Why is there another thread about the Vita being dead every month? 1. The Vita isn't dead, and it has plenty of games, you just have to have an interest in those kinds of games. and 2. Every time there is a post about the Vita having "no games" another game is about to come out soon. I've got plenty games on my Vita; Metal Gear Solid, Hotline Miami, Star Wars Pinball, Modnation Racers, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Sound Shapes, Oddworld Strangers Wrath, Super Stardust Delta, Assasins Creed, and I'm gonna get Total Recoil if I get the chance on the day it releases. I do agree that the PSP has more games but all the games on the Vita are cool too

Message 10 of 21 (979 Views)