Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 04 2010
By: Statik_Wolf First Son 6 posts

Is there a max net speed for the ps3?

58 replies 13586 views Edited Oct 4, 2010

I recently upgraded my net to 105 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.  It's costing me 200 dollars a month but I love it.  The connection was hooked up and tested through computers to varify it's working.  Well interestingly enough when running a speed test on the ps3, the highest it ever said it was 17 Mbps.  Which is way slower than what my connection is.  I contacted my ISP and told them of the situation and they tested my connection in every which way.  Once again it is working 100% the way it should, in fact the woman told me she was jealose of it. They then told me to contact sony to find out what the machine can handle.  I contacted them and they had me try a few things like disabling media servers and all that.  They had me go to speedtest.net and run it there with the same poor results through the ps3.  I'm through a router, wired.. but we know it's not the router because even after removing that from the equation the ps3 still couldn't break 17 Mbps.   So I asked him if the system itself is literally capped at some point.  He put me on hold to come back and say he wasn't sure.  He told me that he has heard people say it's capped at around 25 Mbps which would explain my problem.  He told me to come to these forums to see if anyone would know because he didn't.  Which I found strange because he works for the company that made the machine.  But anyway I'm here so can anyone help me get my true speeds or explain to me why it's not possible.  thanks

Message 1 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Re: Is there a max net speed for the ps3?

Oct 4, 2010

Thats a fast internet speed, but way too much money to pay for it imo.

Anyway, make sure they gave you the right modem.  I'm guessing this is the Comcast thing (if this is even a real thread...) that was advertised.

Message 2 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

o I proRe: Is there a max net speed for the ps3?

Oct 4, 2010

no I promise you it's a real connection.  I'm not advertising for anyone.  The modem is an Arris modem and the router is by netgear. The guy at tech support  said there shouldn't be any problems with those things. I'm not here to discuss my net speed or how much I'm paying for it, I only mentioned the speed to clarify the issue and the cost to show why I consider it an important issue lol

Message 3 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
268 posts

Oct 4, 2010

not sure what or if its limited but I have comcast with 30mbps of download speed and my PS3 does 27mbps with a wired connection

Message 4 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Re: o I proRe: Is there a max net speed for the ps3?

Oct 4, 2010

Other than saying make sure that the router isnt blocking anything to the ps3, I wouldnt know what to do with that router.  Wouldnt want to mess up that kind of internet speed.

PS3 settings and router settings, thats all I can think of.  You could always call the support again, different people seem to think differently on issues like this.  Maybe one person could have the solution when another says that nothing is wrong.

Message 5 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: o I proRe: Is there a max net speed for the ps3?

Oct 4, 2010

I just want to get an idea of the speeds people are getting on their systems before calling sony again (if need be).  My nat type is type 2 and I've made sure everything is in order.  Believe me I want to get the best out of my ps3. 

Message 6 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
268 posts

Oct 4, 2010

when you did a speed test did you use the same location or different one? I am in New England so I tried a place in Maine then Boston, Japan. all yield very different speeds.

Message 7 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Oct 4, 2010

I used the same exact location that was tested on multiple computers which all said between 94 Mbps to 112 Mbps

Message 8 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
367 posts

Oct 4, 2010

CSCHERME wrote:

Thats a fast internet speed, but way too much money to pay for it imo.

Anyway, make sure they gave you the right modem.  I'm guessing this is the Comcast thing (if this is even a real thread...) that was advertised.

Comcast offers up to 150MBs in some areas.

Anyway @ OP what site are you using for a test.. I am not sure about the PS3 having a hard cap. Even at 25 MBs that is much faster than you will need for just about anything that the PS3 can do. I stream Hi-Def over my wireless with no issues. I guess if you have to have that new add-on in 2 minutes vs 5 then it matters.

Message 9 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Oct 4, 2010

I enjoy hosting dedicated servers for games while I'm at work or asleep.  For example unreal tournament 3 allows you to host 16 player dedicated matches.  That game has a lot going on in it considering all the players jump around and off walls, not to mention that almost every gun in the game fires a projectile that can be dodged... which means the server has to keep track of where every single rocket or plasma burst is.  Call me picky but I want the connection to be as stable and smooth as possible.  Which is why I am going to make sure if my ps3 has a max speed, that I'm doing that speed.  And if it doesn't have a cap.. then I want to know why I'm not getting the right speeds and I want that corrected.  It's hard to believe that in my quest to find out the speed of this machine, I've gotten more questions than answers.  Does anyone know the answer to this mystical question?  lol  It's sad when you contact the company responsible for the machine... and even they can't tell you.  Somebody knows the answer to my question and I will find that person.

Message 10 of 59 (13,586 Views)
0 Likes