Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
15581 posts

Re: Is there a max net speed for the ps3?

Sep 29, 2012

foxhoundmk3 wrote:

Its 2012 an this problem still exists I have tryed,payed reserched this problem I have comcast  50Mbsec but doing a speed test with the units program or webbroser I only get  16Mbsec Every thing in my house is runing great  50Mbsec some times 60! (that includes my sons X-Box!) only the PlayStatons lag! But if I go on line players ar moving faster than me!

Sounds like you need to properly configure your network and your PS3's network settings.....

When you do ANY speed test on the PS3, the results are NOT accurate.... even through the browser, which uses outdated versions of online software like Flash and lack of HTML5 support.......

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOUR PS3'S SPEED TEST IS, WORRY ABOUT THE PING/LATENCY. SPEED HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH IT.

How is it that the 3Mbps down/500kbps up is fast enough for me to play any game(I now have fiber running at 100/50 for the last 2 years), and still not lag whatsoever, and yet you pay for 50Mbps and you somehow lag?

Obviously something is not configured properly if the slow connection I used to have never gave me any issues

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 31 of 59 (659 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 12, 2012

Hey man not going to get involved to much, but having same issue in a way... I can say this though I'm usually running 7-10 Mbps, so I contacted TWC and they said I was recieving 15, but I argued with her and said my test showed 7 or 8, and this issue has been going on for a year now. So she put me on hold and came back and said to reset my modem and then I will receive what I'm paying for. Well as I've done 100 times b4, I did and sure as the world I was recieving 19.7  Go figure right, but now I'm back to where I was. In my opinion this issue is with Sony. Would love to know what to do though, because I only play COD franchise and if no good connection what's the point right. And by the way a tech did come out and checked my speeds and it varied from 20-25... Which is actually more than what I'm paying for, 15.  I took a pic of it but cant add because of ipad and adobe. So if you ever figure this issue out or anyone have any comments I would appreciate It.

Thx Kevin - psn ID - krch1213

Message 32 of 59 (588 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 12, 2012

Hey guys, not going to get involved to much, but having same issue in a way... I can say this though I'm usually running 7-10 Mbps, so I contacted TWC and they said I was recieving 15, but I argued with her and said my test showed 7 or 8, and this issue has been going on for a year now. So she put me on hold and came back and said to reset my modem and then I will receive what I'm paying for. Well as I've done 100 times b4, I did and sure as the world I was recieving 19.7  Go figure right, but now I'm back to where I was. In my opinion this issue is with Sony. Would love to know what to do though, because I only play COD franchise and if no good connection what's the point right. And by the way a tech did come out and checked my speeds and it varied from 20-25... Which is actually more than what I'm paying for, 15.  I took a pic of it but cant add because of ipad and adobe. So if you ever figure this issue out or anyone have any comments I would appreciate It.

Message 33 of 59 (587 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15581 posts

Dec 12, 2012

krch1213 wrote:

Hey man not going to get involved to much, but having same issue in a way... I can say this though I'm usually running 7-10 Mbps, so I contacted TWC and they said I was recieving 15, but I argued with her and said my test showed 7 or 8, and this issue has been going on for a year now. So she put me on hold and came back and said to reset my modem and then I will receive what I'm paying for. Well as I've done 100 times b4, I did and sure as the world I was recieving 19.7  Go figure right, but now I'm back to where I was. In my opinion this issue is with Sony. Would love to know what to do though, because I only play COD franchise and if no good connection what's the point right. And by the way a tech did come out and checked my speeds and it varied from 20-25... Which is actually more than what I'm paying for, 15.  I took a pic of it but cant add because of ipad and adobe. So if you ever figure this issue out or anyone have any comments I would appreciate It.

Get rid of the crappy old motorola surfboard modem they give you and buy a new modem.

It has to be a DOCSIS 3 modem to get the full benefit of your speed and future-proof for higher speeds, as well as compatibility with every network in case you move. And you get to get rid of the monthly $5-10 lease.

The only thing you'll need to do is call your provider to give them the new modem MAC address so they can register it in their system.

I have done this previously and I got HIGHER speed than I paid for. Lots of people who've done it have. The provider shouldn't have a problem with it. Sometimes its just the modem being a lot better at handling data and such. 

Message 34 of 59 (585 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Yeah had been wanting to get a new modem to c if that would work, but wanted them to check to c if the problem was on them or the PS3. And actually they were here today to try a new modem, D3. Its an Arris. Wich is what the other one was as well. This just a newer version with more ports in back. And since still no change and I'm actually hard wired now. Wich I knew that probably wouldn't work bcs I had already tried that too, and no difference from wifi to hard wired per the speed test on either end. It reads 20 - 25 on the computer, but the ps3 only shows it at 7 - 10. Sure would love to know how to fix, why spend all this money on equipment and higher speed internet just to play COD games, just to get mad or upset a bout it in the end bcs of the ps3 issue. Think they should rethink there product or build process, or something. Lol. Thanks so much for responding, again getting on here is knew to me but since I bought an iPad it's so easier and would love for some1 to say heres your problem and here's how to fix. Oh yeah one more thing, there we're two different techs that came today, one maintenance and one super, And of all things he is a cod gamer as well and is puzzled by it and has no idea what to do. Go figure huh. Said that he has same speed as me almost and is two tiers below his inter packg. Do you have any more suggestions bcs sure would love to hear em. And again THANKS so much for the reply. 

Message 35 of 59 (580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Well I just have turbo, wich was the highest up to about a year ago. 15 down and 2 up. I've been grandfathered in on that plan, where they have added the 30mb and the 50 mb plans. I do understand that the speed tests vary, but up to about a year ago I would never have any issues playing online. But now it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I also have a N 750 router that I bought to correct the problem and of course it didn't either. Now that I have the new modem, and still no change.. I know it's not my Internet and I also one its not my equipment. So I sure you are right but I'm lost when it comes to do what your saying. Is there any info to fix it the way your talking about. Or could you possibly help me. I've never had these issues before a year ago, and I had a old modem, lesser router, and lesser plan....? Do u know how to setup what your saying. Again thanks so much for all the help. 

Message 36 of 59 (577 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

An FO/T1 Line (unsequentialed) will not only crash online play but will also 'detonate' the PS3's Ethernet controller among other components. I did 'trial & error' tests last year but with a 'sequentialed' line, slowly adding 50MB increments. Also, as others have mentioned, it's crucial to have the correct router and/or modem.

Sequentialled Download Speed:  1738MBs

*Edit:  Switched back to regular high speed btw without any issues.    

Message 37 of 59 (574 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15581 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Nv3rt1igh7 wrote:

An FO/T1 Line (unsequentialed) will not only crash online play but will also 'detonate' the PS3's Ethernet controller among other components. I did 'trial & error' tests last year but with a 'sequentialed' line, slowly adding 50MB increments. Also, as others have mentioned, it's crucial to have the correct router and/or modem.

Sequentialled Download Speed:  1738MBs

*Edit:  Switched back to regular high speed btw without any issues.    

Really? My friend had a T1 for 2 years and ne'er an issue.... is that different from FO/T1?

Message 38 of 59 (566 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48845 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Statik_Wolf wrote:

I recently upgraded my net to 105 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.  It's costing me 200 dollars a month but I love it.  The connection was hooked up and tested through computers to varify it's working.  Well interestingly enough when running a speed test on the ps3, the highest it ever said it was 17 Mbps.  Which is way slower than what my connection is.  I contacted my ISP and told them of the situation and they tested my connection in every which way.  Once again it is working 100% the way it should, in fact the woman told me she was jealose of it. They then told me to contact sony to find out what the machine can handle.  I contacted them and they had me try a few things like disabling media servers and all that.  They had me go to speedtest.net and run it there with the same poor results through the ps3.  I'm through a router, wired.. but we know it's not the router because even after removing that from the equation the ps3 still couldn't break 17 Mbps.   So I asked him if the system itself is literally capped at some point.  He put me on hold to come back and say he wasn't sure.  He told me that he has heard people say it's capped at around 25 Mbps which would explain my problem.  He told me to come to these forums to see if anyone would know because he didn't.  Which I found strange because he works for the company that made the machine.  But anyway I'm here so can anyone help me get my true speeds or explain to me why it's not possible.  thanks

I have 100mb ul/10mb dl and if I do the speed test on the PS3 I have the same issue as you.  Typically it tells me between 18 and 22 download and between 1 and 3 upload.

If I go to my regular computer that is hardwired to the router I get 50+ DL and 5+ UL every time.

Message 39 of 59 (564 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15581 posts

Dec 13, 2012

The PS3's speed test IS NOT ACCURATE.

Message 40 of 59 (563 Views)
0 Likes