Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: Issue with PS Vita "near"

Jan 4, 2012

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Do you know if the GPS needs the 3G to work? Is it locked to only work in aGPS mode? Can it not get the almanacs through wifi if it is?

it does work threw wifi. how I know this is threw people who have imported ps vita there near works. well some of them have a working near that is.  near over all been seeming to have some problems on some ps vita units. it works just sometimes it has trouble finding your location.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 21 of 25 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 5, 2012

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Do you know if the GPS needs the 3G to work? Is it locked to only work in aGPS mode? Can it not get the almanacs through wifi if it is?

now the GPS I have not heard anything about it threw people's Import ps vita. I would guess you would need 3G for it to work.

I say this because if not then why doesn't the ps vita wifi only model not have GPS.

sorry about my answer before I thought you were talking about near. from what I have seen to be honest there is no GPS app like in phones. it is all related to near. again the GPS is still hush hush.

only gps info I could find is this.

Locate, connect and play with friends via GPS and social networking apps like NEAR.

*Available only on 3G/WiFi systems.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/systems/ps-vita-3g.html

now info on near 

Near is the social networking app on the PS Vita that allows you to check in to real life locations and pick-up and or leave gifts for other gamers to find and use in their games. You can also locate and connect with your PlayStation®Network friends and other gamers nearby. With near you can check out which games are the most popular and highest rated by fellow gamers near your location.

Through near your location can be calculated through Wi-Fi hot spots or in 3G models, with use of GPS technology which is an exclusive capability of the 3G model. Be the first to find these valuable game gifts by logging into near via 3G and not waiting to get to a WiFi hot spot.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/apps/psvita-app-near.html

that is all I can tell you sorry.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 22 of 25 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jan 5, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

now the GPS I have not heard anything about it threw people's Import ps vita. I would guess you would need 3G for it to work.

I say this because if not then why doesn't the ps vita wifi only model not have GPS.

sorry about my answer before I thought you were talking about near. from what I have seen to be honest there is no GPS app like in phones. it is all related to near. again the GPS is still hush hush.

Thanks I knew all that about near, and the GPS I was hoping that you had heard something from someone who had experience with the actual 3G/GPS model to confirm my questions. I would like to buy that model to have the GPS location funtionality and I would like to be able to use it for when I am not paying for the 3G service. So I just need to find someone who knows and from your comment it sounded like you did.

Message 23 of 25 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 5, 2012

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

Thanks I knew all that about near, and the GPS I was hoping that you had heard something from someone who had experience with the actual 3G/GPS model to confirm my questions. I would like to buy that model to have the GPS location funtionality and I would like to be able to use it for when I am not paying for the 3G service. So I just need to find someone who knows and from your comment it sounded like you did.

only thing I know is that there is no GPS app.

Message 24 of 25 (45 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Mar 13, 2012

Are you over or under 18? u cant access it if youre under 18

Message 25 of 25 (45 Views)
0 Likes