Dec 30 2011
By: EggySong85 First Son 14 posts

Issue with PS Vita "near"

24 replies 523 views Edited Dec 30, 2011

Currently living in Japan, I have a Vita I bought on the 18th.  Everything is fantastic except Near cannot find my location. I've tried it on two separate wifi connections and I get the same error.  Does anyone else in this community have a Vita with the same issue? Any recommendations?  I don't know how customer support is in Japan or how much time I've got to get it fixed.

Message 1 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
415 posts

Re: Issue with PS Vita "near"

Dec 30, 2011

I'm thinking it may be a software issue. The servers could be offline for a bit, or the software is having troubles. I would wait for a bit and if that doesn't work I would back some things up and reinstall your firmware via recovery menu.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 30, 2011

EggySong85 wrote:

Currently living in Japan, I have a Vita I bought on the 18th.  Everything is fantastic except Near cannot find my location. I've tried it on two separate wifi connections and I get the same error.  Does anyone else in this community have a Vita with the same issue? Any recommendations?  I don't know how customer support is in Japan or how much time I've got to get it fixed.

now what I know is a few people are having trouble with Near updating there location (sure there imports but still.) but not all systems are having the problem.

I'm not sure why it is this way but you can keep updating it. sure you can only do it every 44mins or something like that.

there maybe some glitches in the system hopefully they know about it to update fix the problem.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Dec 31, 2011

Are you using "Near" with a Wi-fi only or 3G and Wifi PS Vita?

Message 4 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 1, 2012

Wifi only.

Message 5 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 1, 2012

I think I may have figured out what the issue is.  When I set it up to a new wifi signal in a different area, I got the "could not obtain data for your location" error.  However, after setting up all the sharing to automatic, the next morning I saw the little ps logo flashing blue and when I fired it up, I found that there were "near" updates available.  I think what the vita means when it says "could not obtain data for your location" is that there are no new updates in information for your location.  Perhaps it only works when someone else is affecting the "near" realm between updates, and it's just a manual method of obtaining new data.  I still have yet to benefit in any way from "near". I haven't found any prizes, nor have I found a way to leave prizes, but I'm sure that will come in time.  As for the others having issues with near, my best guess is that they are the only people in their areas playing Vita for now.  In a few months, the vita experience should be much improved.

Message 6 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 1, 2012

Keep in mind that you are using the Wi-fi only version of the PS Vita and to use location based software, it runs a triangulation of wi-fi beacons in accordance with the Skyhook's algorithms and API. Also, this is the "first print run" of an all new SCE infrastructure so, the servers that create the back bone of the location based experiences are sort of being tested and kicked around to heck by users.  

Earlier this year it was announced in GDC, certain things in "Near" are suppose to be "coming after launch":

I am not aware of what is available now (I will wait for February 22nd to buy my PS Vita) but, are the things listed in the image above already possible? 

Message 7 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
415 posts

Jan 1, 2012

In a couple videos I've only seen the user rating system for games. Near sounds cool, I want to know if you can download the user created content from other people

Photobucket
Message 8 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 1, 2012

I just tried to calculate my position with the photo app and got the error there too, so it's definitely a problem with the system.  I think you nailed it with the wifi triangulation.  Even so, my computer, iPod, and iPad have no issues whatsoever finding my position on the same network, so something obviously fishy is going on here. Perhaps something with the skyhook system? But as you said, things are still pretty young with the Vita and I'm sure service will improve.  As for features with Near, so far I haven't been able to do more than rate my own game or look at other people's playlists. Nobody seems to be scoring their own games or maybe the data isn't being transferred because the only results I've found are my own. I'm also the first among my friends to have a vita so I can't really use all the fancy social features that much yet.

Message 9 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jan 1, 2012

I live in Okinawa-shi and I have the NTT Docomo 3G  Vita and no matter where I've gone I've never been able to get a location in NEAR. I assumed it was because I am using my American account but appearantly no one has gotten NEAR up consistantly.  I guess I kind of feel better.

Message 10 of 25 (523 Views)
0 Likes