Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Re: Issue with PS Vita "near"

Jan 1, 2012

So this NEAR feature is far from perfect then?

I'll be here all week.

Message 11 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 1, 2012

When you guys Say "Near" are you referring to local wifi?

Ps3| Vita
Message 12 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 1, 2012

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/apps/psvita-app-near.html

MageOfRevenants wrote:

When you guys Say "Near" are you referring to local wifi?

Near is the social networking app on the PS Vita that allows you to check in to real life locations and pick-up and or leave gifts for other gamers to find and use in their games. You can also locate and connect with your PlayStation®Network friends and other gamers nearby. With near you can check out which games are the most popular and highest rated by fellow gamers near your location.

Through near your location can be calculated through Wi-Fi hot spots or in 3G models, with use of GPS technology which is an exclusive capability of the 3G model. Be the first to find these valuable game gifts by logging into near via 3G and not waiting to get to a WiFi hot spot.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 13 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 1, 2012

That is interesting, Well I will most likely always be connected I love my mobile hotspot with clear wireless they are amazing  and affordable.

Ps3| Vita
Message 14 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5336 posts

Jan 1, 2012

Why don't you ask in the Japanese playstation forums? I've never looked for them but I'm sure they exist. Not to say people here aren't helpful but people in Japan will also have the Vita console and be able to tell you if they've been able to get there's working. Speculation of users here isn't going to be particularly useful to you.

Message 15 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jan 2, 2012

Last around midnight Japan time Near came up has been running consistantly ever since in Okinawa. It's really cool and I'm already clearing my friends list for new Near Friends.  BTW, it works with my US PSN account.

Message 16 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jan 2, 2012

Still nothing on this end. I think the gps vita doesn't have this issue so much.

Message 17 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 2, 2012

EggySong85 wrote:

Still nothing on this end. I think the gps vita doesn't have this issue so much.

only if you have the 3G part activated though. if you never have the 3G activated  in the 3G ps vita model then you will not have the benefit of 3G.

3G also has wifi folks. if its not connected threw the 3G it just uses the same singal thingy as the wifi only model to find your location. the gps on the ps vita needs the 3G for it to work.  the wifi only model just uses wifi location support.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 18 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Jan 2, 2012

I'm also in Japan and having the same problem with both wi-fi and 3G. GPS is better, but even that is inconsistent. Shrug.

Message 19 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jan 4, 2012

Do you know if the GPS needs the 3G to work? Is it locked to only work in aGPS mode? Can it not get the almanacs through wifi if it is?

Message 20 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes