Highlighted
Apr 27 2014
By: psxsage Hekseville Citizen 243 posts
Accepted Solution

Issues I have with the Vita and why I sold it

[ Edited ]
46 replies 843 views Edited Apr 27, 2014

I realize a post like this may not be popular within the community and much if it may well be a dead horse being beat for the 1000th time but having been an owner of the Device since launch and having NEVER felt the need to get rid of a Sony product i've owned i felt the need to share for whatever good it may do.

I like to be positive so let me start with the things i truly enjoyed about the Vita

The handheld build quality is incredible,unlike my 3DS XL it doesn't feel cheap or as if the unit will snap if abused a little.

Thank you for the love of the gaming gods for moving away from UMD i LOVED my PSP it had a great library but the UMD format was a joke

Screen quality is nothing short of amazing,even the new Slim redesign is leaps and bounds above any competitor

Graphics for a handheld are just fantastic,even the best looking Android games on my Galaxy Note 3 can not compare.

Battery life considering the specs is definitely commendable

Now the Negative...and this list is a bit longer obviously or i would not have dumped my Vita

Games...or lack thereof...Sony i don't want inferior ports i can play a superior version of on PS3 on a big screen HDTV.... I don't want indie titles i can play on a myriad of other devices...I can play PS1 games in a variety of other ways,what i want is ACTUAL Vita AAA games.  Of which the Vita has a Library so small i honestly think i owned more games for my Neo Geo pocket.  The Library truly is Dismal at best and the future is looking no brighter...example New Vita slim...big release to bundle it with? an Inferior port of Borderlands 2..yay?

Memory card prices: One of my major criticisms about the PSP and Xbox 360..or any other console/handheld is one that uses proprietary memory sources....ok fine.  But even worse you literally make them some of the most expensive per GB memory sources in recent history.  There is NO excuse for this one at all whatsoever and your attempt to address it by VERY small price cuts was pathetic.  You can literally buy TWO 64GB SD cards for less than ONE 32GB PS vita card.

The Rear touch pad The rear touch pad is FAR too large making the Vita difficult to hold comfortably without accidentally hitting the rear pad (this is a MAJOR issue when using remote play on PS4 since the pad simulates R3/L3 buttons) I'm glad to see you shrank the pad a bit on the Vita Slim but it's still an issue as far as i'm concerned.

No real plans for the Vita shown at any major Gaming Show/convention lately or past.  It's quite one thing for a handheld or console to have a weak launch for games this isn't new.  The 3DS suffered the same problem and had a horrible launch until it's library was built up.  But you have not addressed your fans concerns about the lack of any really noticeable list of upcoming games except more of the same ports and indies..Where are the games that make Vita a unique experience worth shelling out the cash for?  Is there anything planned at all for the future?  Currently The Vita Games launch list for 2014 is a barren wasteland at best making the future look even worse for the Vita.

The Game Cartridge Slot/Memory card slot etc etc are a major hassle to open and close...Seriously i usually had to get a butter knife to get the **bleep** things open properly...meanwhile on my PSP it was no problem and my 3DS XL it's just an open slot.  The design was so bad i actually ended up purchasing more Digital Games than Physical ones because swapping games was a chore.

The PS Vita Slim Screen downgrade-It's great you are trying to lower costs and increase battery life etc...but at the expense of one of the Vitas arguably best strengths..it's screen.  Look at a comparison Video in HD if you have not seen the two side by side in person...it's VERY noticeable..on the new Slim LCD screen colors are dull washed out looking brightness is noticeably lower it really detracts from the experience IMO..The battery was vastly improved but at what cost?

No easily user replaceable battery- Obviously with the R&D costs to make the Vita a reality one would assume Sony wants to keep the Vita Lifespan very very long.  That said Batteries weaken over time...with my 3DS XL a few easily accessed screws and i can replace the battery in 3 minutes tops.  BY contrast watch a Youtube video of how to replace the Vita battery...not only do you have to half disassemble the handheld you have to move very breakable cables (and void the warranty) to do so...Honestly i've taken apart Ultrabooks that are easier to replace batteries on than the Vita is.

Why on EARTH can the Vita not play PS2 classic downloads?  This is something that in terms of specs should be really easily done and would have added to the system immensely,The PS1 classics was a good move but even those not every single one works on Vita.

I think i can sum up my experiences on the Vita (Mostly about it's lack of games) in this final point.

For my Vita i purchased (physical games) a total of 5.and owned the handheld since launch.

I have owned my 3DS XL approximately a year and purchased 40.

You need to give people unique gaming experiences the Vita offers they can not get elsewhere.  The hardware largely is brilliant and i applaud Sony for the specs and most of the design....But the best hardware in the world is nothing without the games to back it up.  And right now i remember the Virtual Boy having more unique games to it than the vita has to offer.

I can't rule out NEVER buying another Vita but if i can't even name at least 15 AAA unique games to the handheld...It's not worth keeping a space open for in my household.

Mod Edit: Edited label and title. Check here for more information.

- Coldhandzz

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 1 of 47 (843 Views)
MVP Support
13855 posts

Re: I just Sold my PS Vita after having had owned it since launch Sony you have a lot to fix

Apr 27, 2014

You make some good points about the Vita, psxsage.

Games...or lack thereof...Sony i don't want inferior ports i can play a superior version of on PS3 on a big screen HDTV.... I don't want indie titles i can play on a myriad of other devices...I can play PS1 games in a variety of other ways,what i want is ACTUAL Vita AAA games.  Of which the Vita has a Library so small i honestly think i owned more games for my Neo Geo pocket.  The Library truly is Dismal at best and the future is looking no brighter...example New Vita slim...big release to bundle it with? an Inferior port of Borderlands 2..yay?

Bingo. Especially now with not being able to download more of the PS1 and PSP games. There's a lot less selection. There's quite a bit of fan service, but not everyone likes those kinds of games. It would be nice to see more variety in regards to RPG's out there, and same goes with other games that come out on it.

Memory card prices: One of my major criticisms about the PSP and Xbox 360..or any other console/handheld is one that uses proprietary memory sources....ok fine.  But even worse you literally make them some of the most expensive per GB memory sources in recent history.  There is NO excuse for this one at all whatsoever and your attempt to address it by VERY small price cuts was pathetic.  You can literally buy TWO 64GB SD cards for less than ONE 32GB PS vita card.

This is one that won't be happening anytime soon Smiley Sad. The prices have been brought down once, and I read an article recently where they (Sony) thought that they didn't need to go and do it. Which imho is exactly the wrong thing to do, since $80 for a 32 gb card is just WAY too expensive. The competition is beating them in this area, for good reason. And to say it's due to it being proprietary memory, is a sad excuse imo.

No easily user replaceable battery- Obviously with the R&D costs to make the Vita a reality one would assume Sony wants to keep the Vita Lifespan very very long.  That said Batteries weaken over time...with my 3DS XL a few easily accessed screws and i can replace the battery in 3 minutes tops.  BY contrast watch a Youtube video of how to replace the Vita battery...not only do you have to half disassemble the handheld you have to move very breakable cables (and void the warranty) to do so...Honestly i've taken apart Ultrabooks that are easier to replace batteries on than the Vita is.

This is one of the BIG downfalls of the system imo as well. Why make it SO hard to replace the battery? The whole it's due to the hackers thing is another sad excuse imho. It reminds me of the whole sending your system into Apple to have the battery replaced (for a fee) in your ipod, iphone, etc... Just more that the customer has to spend out of pocket. 

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 2 of 47 (830 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Re: I just Sold my PS Vita after having had owned it since launch Sony you have a lot to fix

Apr 27, 2014
Agree about games. Really disappointing. Basically if you don't like kiddie/cartoonish games or Japanese Anime then there not much to play. Hopefully Borderlands 2 will be a winner.
Message 3 of 47 (827 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6104 posts

Apr 27, 2014

There's even the most recent offense of making the community believe their most wanted cries was answered by opening up the PS1/PSP digital library for two days only to lock them back up due to a mistake/licensing issue. While the EU/JP has been enjoying pretty much all PSP/PS1 titles on their Vita, the NA Vita owner get barely half. I was planning to go on a PSP/PS1 titles this weekend but now with their recent  actions I will not buy anything Digital for my Vita from now on PERIOD. 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Sony-Fixes-PS-VITA-PSP-PS1-Games-Not-Down...

Be sure to run this on Twitter for yosp (Yoshida) and PlayStation : #freeourgamesonvita

Message 4 of 47 (803 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2014

The problem though ThrowupdaX88 is that even if the game is great it's still a port of an existing game i can play on my big screen on my PS3 in a superior version.  What would have been nice is say a Borderlands Prequel or something in that universe unique to the Vita itself.

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 5 of 47 (800 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
367 posts

Apr 27, 2014

hw much u sold it Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 47 (780 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

Re: Issues I have with the Vita and why I sold it

Apr 27, 2014
I sold the handheld with a case 5 games and a 32GB memory card for 300$ I took a fair loss I realize but better to re invest that into my ps4 and 3dsxl library of games I'll actually play.
PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 7 of 47 (768 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13855 posts

Apr 27, 2014

da1writer wrote:

There's even the most recent offense of making the community believe their most wanted cries was answered by opening up the PS1/PSP digital library for two days only to lock them back up due to a mistake/licensing issue. While the EU/JP has been enjoying pretty much all PSP/PS1 titles on their Vita, the NA Vita owner get barely half. I was planning to go on a PSP/PS1 titles this weekend but now with their recent  actions I will not buy anything Digital for my Vita from now on PERIOD. 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Sony-Fixes-PS-VITA-PSP-PS1-Games-Not-Down...

Be sure to run this on Twitter for yosp (Yoshida) and PlayStation : #freeourgamesonvita

Just repost it with links to them? That would be a good idea.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 8 of 47 (757 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Apr 27, 2014
Fair point psxsage but I haven't played that game yet and don't have it for PS3 so it's a good but for me but I can definitely see where it wouldn't be for others.
Message 9 of 47 (721 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Apr 27, 2014

psxsage wrote:

I think i can sum up my experiences on the Vita (Mostly about it's lack of games) in this final point.

For my Vita i purchased (physical games) a total of 5.and owned the handheld since launch.

I have owned my 3DS XL approximately a year and purchased 40.

You're actually in the minority there. Vita actually has a much higher attach rate than the 3DS. Most people who own a 3DS only care about a couple of major titles, while Vita owners buy a lot of games compared to other platforms.

Message 10 of 47 (704 Views)