Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 30 2013
By: mixedkidbx Treasure Hunter 8616 posts

Japanese Interview with Mark Cerny Reveals New PS4 Information

19 replies 1145 views Edited Mar 30, 2013

In a brand new interview with Sony’s Mark Cerny, the man who designed the hardware and functionality of the PS4, has revealed new information about the console, including the motivation behind removing backwards compatibility and using the new UI at 4K resolution. The interview’s in Japanese, but translations exist, though we cannot verify all the facts. We’ve summarised the main points below.

New PS4 Information:

• Backwards compatibility has been dropped to make sure developers move to a more “versatile” platform. It’s also difficult to emulate the behaviour of the CELL Broadband Engine that powers the PS3 through software, but Sony hasn’t completely ruled out the functionality.
  • The console will be able to support 4K, but will focus on 1080p gaming. The OS UI can be rendered in 4K, while rendering games in 1080p. Having the OS UI output in 4K would take 10 GB/s,  so ever more resources will be needed to output games in 4K resolution.
  • The PS4 won’t support playback of Audio CDs, but will be able to read CD disks. This could mean the console may be capable of running PSOne games, though this is currently speculation.
  • A custom CPU will monitor all I/O, processes and downloads on the system, even when the power is off. The main reason for a secondary low-power chip was to comply with EU regulations on power consumption.
  • When downloading a game, the initial download will be small, allowing you to play the game sooner, while the rest of the game downloads in the background.
  • As with the PS3, the Blu-ray drive and Hard Drive will be used together to cut down load times.
  • The PS4 will have hardware-based audio and video compression / decompression reducing overheads. It means that Remote Play can be supported on most PS4 titles with ”almost no overhead, without pain whatsoever.” Only games that require the PS4 specific features, the PlayStation Move or the new PlayStation Camera cannot be played via Remote Play.
  • Not all of the features mentioned by Sony will be available on the PS4 from Day One. Like the PS3, new features will be added overtime via Firmware Updates.
  • The OS is BSD-based, so they can make full use of multi-tasking.

http://www.xtremeps3.com/2013/03/29/japanese-interview-with-mark-cerny-reveals-new-ps4-information/

-----------------------------

my bad if this was posted alreayd in another thread

Message 1 of 20 (1,145 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: Japanese Interview with Mark Cerny Reveals New PS4 Information

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

Thanks for sharing! This is very interesting. The PS4 is looking good but the only thing that disappoints me about it is that it's not backwards compatible but other than that, it looks good! :smileyhappy:

I wonder when they will show the console itself! lol :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 20 (1,140 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2465 posts

Mar 30, 2013

who cares if its back wards compatable. Just use your PS3. Not that hard of a problem to get around.

Message 3 of 20 (1,105 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1152 posts

Mar 30, 2013

All I will say is that I care if it is backwards compatable. Everything else has already been said. But I care a lot.

Happy Gaming.

Message 4 of 20 (1,100 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

who cares if its back wards compatable. Just use your PS3. Not that hard of a problem to get around.

Well I care, having backwards compatibility perserve my library whenever my PS3 dies...

Message 5 of 20 (1,097 Views)
Survivor
2465 posts

Mar 30, 2013

I could careless. Once the next generation of systems come out I dont play the previous versions anymore. Just b/c its not BC does not mean that the older previous games can never be downloaded via the PSN and played that way.

They will show us the console at E3 June 11-13th.

Message 6 of 20 (1,079 Views)
First Son
14 posts

Mar 31, 2013
What I would love to know is the HDD size. Not capacity, but 2.5" or 3.5"? I'm sure it'll end up being 2.5", but I feel like a 3.5" would be more desirable.
Message 7 of 20 (1,044 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18753 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Interesting post. This line caught my eye though:

mixedkidbx wrote:
  • Not all of the features mentioned by Sony will be available on the PS4 from Day One. Like the PS3, new features will be added overtime via Firmware Updates.

What kind of features do you all think this statement might include? Gaikai? Premium subscriptions? etc.?

Hopefully nothing too major gets pushed back from release day, but with this statement, it looks like they might.

Message 8 of 20 (876 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Thanks alot for the post!!!  Good read

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open." -gR3yGh051

Photobucket

"Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy!"
Message 9 of 20 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 31, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

I could careless. Once the next generation of systems come out I dont play the previous versions anymore. Just b/c its not BC does not mean that the older previous games can never be downloaded via the PSN and played that way.

They will show us the console at E3 June 11-13th.

I am curious to see if they can find some way to transfer PSN downloads to Gaikai or something. I wish they would at least release that add-on that they patented. I am keeping my PS3 but I don't want to have to buy another PS3 after my PS3 dies. I am already on my second PS3. I would not even mind paying extra to have backwards compatibility. Even though a big majority of people on this site are anti-backwards compatibility, it's still an important feature to me.:smileyhappy:

It's weird that they announce the PS4 without showing what it looks like. lol Does anyone know the price range of the PS4?

It's cool that the PS4 can charge controllers while it's off. 

Message 10 of 20 (620 Views)