PlayStation MVP
3135 posts

Re: Leaked PS4 Controller

Feb 14, 2013
Not really feeling the new look, but very excited to see what February 20 will bring :smileyhappy:
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 11 of 41 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

I like the look a lot, hard to tell in the pic but it looks to be matt black too, which I also like.

If I'm not mistaking the source said it's a protoype so I'm sure it changed up a bit. The only thing I'm not liking are all the bumps around the controller, they need to flatten it out some more. You have the d-pad, touchscreen, traingle, circle, square, and cross buttons leveled, then the speaker in slightly elevated, then the directional pad is slightly elevated. Same goes for the top.

I'm kind of torn Fidelity, part of me likes the 'bumps' because they make it looked more rugged, know what I mean & that's partly why I like the new look too, so I kind of like the bumpy rugged look lol, sorry :smileywink:.

but yes, prototype, good start though in my view!

I want to see how the generic, madcatz, and Powera controllers come out looking, that'll be interesting.

Message 12 of 41 (335 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

FidelityNy wrote:

So here it is. Looks pretty accurate to what we've been picking up from the recent rumors.

What do you notice?

1. Mic/Headset Input at the bottom of the controller. (Like the Xbox 360 controller)

2. Touchpad on the center. (Like the Ouya Controller)

3. Speaker below the touchpad. (Like the Wiimote)

4. Blue light at the top, possible motion control. (Like Wiimote and Playstation Move Controller)

5. Small button to the top right of the directional pad. (Select)

6. Small button the top left of Traingle, Sqaure, Circle, and Cross(X). (Start)

7. Relocated PS Button.

8. Newly designed Analog Sticks.

9. Newly designed Directional Pad.

What do you guys think of it? I think it's alright, could use some polish in a few areas though.

1. I doubt its an input for a mic, sony would be using the controller for motion purposes and the last thing they need is someones head being ripped around from the headset as they swing the controller to do a move in-game.

2. Sony has probably been working on this design for quite awhile, probably during the time the vita was being thought up with its touchpad. (Like a Sony product)

3. Really? I thought it would've been a speaker to have intense surround sound as we game. (Sarcasm if you didn't catch on.)

4. Anyone with the sony motion controller would probably figure out what that is. Kind of obvious if you ask me especially if you read the rumors. 

5. 6. 7. Probably developer buttons needed to work with the controller, as I've been reading from rumors, ps button, start and select are going to be removed. My guess the top left button is the share button and the ps button is there for other functions as they work with it or its just there for the logo and isn't a button at all. I don't see any button at the top right, think you're looking too hard. The "input" as you call it at the bottom of the controller could be a program button for the developers. 

8. 9. Think those are quick design concepts for the prototype.

I think its a major prototype and I wouldn't take much of the deisgn of it now to be anything close to what the final design will be. This looks like a mock-up/program controller. Sony hasn't strayed far from their previous designs that everyone knows and loves, why would they start now. 

Message 13 of 41 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 14, 2013

MadBullBunny wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

So here it is. Looks pretty accurate to what we've been picking up from the recent rumors.

What do you notice?

1. Mic/Headset Input at the bottom of the controller. (Like the Xbox 360 controller)

4. Blue light at the top, possible motion control. (Like Wiimote and Playstation Move Controller)

7. Relocated PS Button.

What do you guys think of it? I think it's alright, could use some polish in a few areas though.

1. I doubt its an input for a mic, sony would be using the controller for motion purposes and the last thing they need is someones head being ripped around from the headset as they swing the controller to do a move in-game.

2. Sony has probably been working on this design for quite awhile, probably during the time the vita was being thought up with its touchpad. (Like a Sony product)

3. Really? I thought it would've been a speaker to have intense surround sound as we game. (Sarcasm if you didn't catch on.)

4. Anyone with the sony motion controller would probably figure out what that is. Kind of obvious if you ask me especially if you read the rumors. 

5. 6. 7. Probably developer buttons needed to work with the controller, as I've been reading from rumors, ps button, start and select are going to be removed. My guess the top left button is the share button and the ps button is there for other functions as they work with it or its just there for the logo and isn't a button at all. I don't see any button at the top right, think you're looking too hard. The "input" as you call it at the bottom of the controller could be a program button for the developers. 

I think its a major prototype and I wouldn't take much of the deisgn of it now to be anything close to what the final design will be. This looks like a mock-up/program controller. Sony hasn't strayed far from their previous designs that everyone knows and loves, why would they start now. 

1.It's an input for a wired mic. Sony is going to stress social features and that's a huge advantage Xbox 360 had over Playstation

3. They're not going to provide a bluetooth headset to every users, so you can bet they're going with a cost effective way to do it, and that's wired.

2. The touchpad is placed front and center on the controller just like the Ouya. I'm stressing the example of an already finished and tested product to emphasize all of the ideas Sony is throwing into one controller.

3. I already caught on to all of the smart remarks.

4. Yup pretty obvious.

5, 6, 7. Really? They aren't just there for developers. If you look closely (zoom in) you'll see there is an identical button on the right as there is on the left, you're not looking close enough. They're not getting rid of the Start and Select buttons, and their not getting rid of the PS button. If anything the PS button will have added functionality for sharing, press once and you get the XMB, long press takes you to the current menu it takes you to, and a quick double press takes you to the "Share" feature.

8, 9. Highly doubtful.

Message 14 of 41 (305 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

Feb 15, 2013

FidelityNy wrote:

MadBullBunny wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

What do you notice?

7. Relocated PS Button.

1.It's an input for a wired mic. Sony is going to stress social features and that's a huge advantage Xbox 360 had over Playstation

3. They're not going to provide a bluetooth headset to every users, so you can bet they're going with a cost effective way to do it, and that's wired.

2. The touchpad is placed front and center on the controller just like the Ouya. I'm stressing the example of an already finished and tested product to emphasize all of the ideas Sony is throwing into one controller.

3. I already caught on to all of the smart remarks.

4. Yup pretty obvious.

5, 6, 7. Really? They aren't just there for developers. If you look closely (zoom in) you'll see there is an identical button on the right as there is on the left, you're not looking close enough. They're not getting rid of the Start and Select buttons, and their not getting rid of the PS button. If anything the PS button will have added functionality for sharing, press once and you get the XMB, long press takes you to the current menu it takes you to, and a quick double press takes you to the "Share" feature.

8, 9. Highly doubtful.

As I said before, sony is going to be using the controllers for motion gaming. Now please explain to me why sony would allow a wired headset from the person's head connecting to a controller that will be in motion during certain gameplay? Also why would there be a need for a wired headset if there is a mic in the middle of the controller? You should look into the details a bit more. Bluetooth headsets are cheap anymore and I didn't say sony would bundle them with their consoles. They don't need too and if someone wants one, they can pick one up for $5. Thats what I did after all and it works better then the offical sony one.

Now I'm going to stand by my other points, here look at this. http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-orbis-gamepad-two-new-details/ I'll assure you vgleaks if better than any other. Here is a better detail explaining the picture that was released. http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-dualshock-layout/. 

As for your "identical" button on the right, I've zoomed in on every picture I could find on the controller. http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/430/430801.jpg Is the best picture I could find of the controller and zooming in on it just leads me to the believe the horrible resolution is making it seem there might be a button. With your brain assuming there might be one there because it wants it to believe so. Although if there was a button there it would definitely be more shaded and obvious as the button on the otherside. And yes I see the black reflection in that area, that is more the reason why you are seeing what you want to see.

As for the layout, the stick design definitely would not be used. I can assure you sony wouldn't change that through the years of their controller design and would still be the rounded top as it usually is with all of their joysticks. The d-pad looks hideous and I can assure you that was a beta d-pad they are trying out to resemble the vita design. 

Its a prototype, much of it will change for sure.

Message 15 of 41 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2013

MadBullBunny wrote:

As I said before, sony is going to be using the controllers for motion gaming. Now please explain to me why sony would allow a wired headset from the person's head connecting to a controller that will be in motion during certain gameplay? Also why would there be a need for a wired headset if there is a mic in the middle of the controller? You should look into the details a bit more. Bluetooth headsets are cheap anymore and I didn't say sony would bundle them with their consoles. They don't need too and if someone wants one, they can pick one up for $5. Thats what I did after all and it works better then the offical sony one.

Now I'm going to stand by my other points, here look at this. http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-orbis-gamepad-two-new-details/ I'll assure you vgleaks if better than any other. Here is a better detail explaining the picture that was released. http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-dualshock-layout/.

As for your "identical" button on the right, I've zoomed in on every picture I could find on the controller. http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/430/430801.jpg Is the best picture I could find of the controller and zooming in on it just leads me to the believe the horrible resolution is making it seem there might be a button. With your brain assuming there might be one there because it wants it to believe so. Although if there was a button there it would definitely be more shaded and obvious as the button on the otherside. And yes I see the black reflection in that area, that is more the reason why you are seeing what you want to see.

As for the layout, the stick design definitely would not be used. I can assure you sony wouldn't change that through the years of their controller design and would still be the rounded top as it usually is with all of their joysticks. The d-pad looks hideous and I can assure you that was a beta d-pad they are trying out to resemble the vita design. 

Its a prototype, much of it will change for sure.

Because anyone with a brain would know that accomadating as many users as possible is what's best for them. If you're going to use motion gaming controls you should have some sense not to use the wired headset if it's getting in the way, when you're casually gaming you'll use it. It's as simple as that. I have myself a little cheap bluetooth headset that does my console justice, but not everyone is me. Not everyone around the world lives in America where we could easily go online and order one, or go around the block to pick one up for cheap. Your points are being looked at from your perspective, instead of thinking about everyone, which is what Sony as a company with ENOUGH experience (especially the last 7 years) is doing. I'll also add that I'm assuming you've never seen the Wii Headset.

The webpage about the removal of the Start and Select clearly says Rumor at the top. So that little confirm has yet to actually be confrimed.

Here's the clearest picture I can find online: PS4

You can clearly see the button right there.

You're making a statement without taking into account the fact that the L2+R2 buttons were changed, you're not taking into account that the Analog button was replaced by a PS button, you're not taking into account that by the look of this prototype that Sony is looking to get rid of the usual Dual Shock design so anything Dual Shock related doesn't apply here. They have their obvious similarities, but it's not the same controller anymore. I'll disagree with the D-Pad looking hideous, it looks fine. With that design your fingers can slide across the D-Pad without any space in between, it makes for faster response and movement.

Message 16 of 41 (285 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18753 posts

Feb 15, 2013

FidelityNy wrote:

PS4 Controller

Screw the looks of the controller, it is a prototype and a lot can still change. I care more about the PS4 looking like that sweet piece of hardware on the back. The other thing I care about is the "share" button; If Sony decides to put a freaking facebook, twitter logo on the controller then whoa, what a way for Sony to drive me away :smileyvery-happy:

I'm fine with the looks of it but it does need some polishing. I would love it to be more gun-metal like. I still have hopes that SONY might one day use clear X [ ] /\ O buttons, like on the PSP but maintaining the symbols' colors. Perhaps a better speaker grill. It would be nice if this controller is a bit bigger than the DS3

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 17 of 41 (273 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Feb 15, 2013

you people are silly..this is FAKE FAKE FAKE..very easy to tell by all the fragmented areas around the square button...even easier to tell by zooming in on it..LOL hilarious any one actually thought this was something real..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 18 of 41 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Feb 15, 2013

and both pics of it on here show the same distorted,cracked looking controller by the square button...HAHAHA HILARIOUS

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 19 of 41 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 15, 2013

kythunder wrote:

you people are silly..this is FAKE FAKE FAKE..very easy to tell by all the fragmented areas around the square button...even easier to tell by zooming in on it..LOL hilarious any one actually thought this was something real..

What's silly is that you must've never taken a picture with a smartphone, this wasn't taken with a DSLR.

Message 20 of 41 (251 Views)
0 Likes