May 22 2013
By: FreshRevenge Fender Bender 3711 posts

Let's talk about Specs shall we?

[ Edited ]
16 replies 284 views Edited May 22, 2013

Now I am not a tech expert but after the new Xbox One was reveil today. We both have now, specs on both consoles. So what does this mean to me or any other gamer? I will place a comparison of the PS4 with the Xbox One.  When you see there seems to be a simliarity. But is there? I ask all those who are in the techy field and sort of educate the mass of gamers who are now wondering about what does it mean by Jaguar?

Xbox One                                                                                                                                                     PlayStation 4

CPU8-Core x86 AMD CPU (Xbox One is a 64-bit system)8-Core x86-64 AMD Jaguar 
GPUCustom AMD GPUAMD Radeon-based GPU
Memory8GB DDR3 (5 GB available to games)8GB GDDR5
Hard Drive500GBBuilt-in HDD, capacity TBA
Optical DriveBlu-ray (speed unknown)/DVDBlu-ray (6xCAV)/DVD
USB Ports3x USB 3.0 (2 on back, 1 on side)USB 3.0 (quantity unknown)
Video OutHDMI (4K video playback, but not gameplay), HDMI inputHDMI (4K video playback, but not gameplay), Analog-AV Out
AudioHDMI, S/PDIF opticalHDMI, S/PDIF optical
Communication10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet, 3x 802.11n radios w/Wi-Fi Direct for communication with controller and other devices10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
Additional OutputsIR (to control cable/satellite receiver)Aux (unknown)

I pull this from the article presented in Gameinformer presented hereThe Specs Also I know I can understand some of the language but if one can present answers that are in easy to understand manner, that would be appreciated.

Also I notice that the Xbox One had Cloud support. How is that different from Sony's Gaikai?

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7403 posts

Re: Let's talk about Specs shall we?

May 22, 2013

So, at least 3GB of the XBOne is just reserved for the OS?

In my opinion, that's quite heavy for a game console OS. Heck, it's even heavy for a PC OS. My PC right now is just using 2.5GB of RAM, and that's with all my stuff running on Windows 7. My best guess? They probably stuck a modified build of Windows 8 in there, which is why it requires DDR3 RAM instead of the 360's GDDR3.

In all fairness, however, I can't really make a comparison with just that table. I'll wait for technical articles to start trickling in over the coming weeks. :smileywink:

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (267 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6877 posts

May 22, 2013

The Jaguar is AMD's latest multi-core (x8) processor.  Actually, I can't really say that, since it hasn't "officially" been released, yet.  It is a 64-bit processor.  It will utiliize either the current AM3+ or AMD's upcoming FM2 socket (which means no more issues with lead-free solder - these are ZIF sockets typically found in consumer-upgradable PCs).

Basically, 'Jaguar' is a name, like Athlon or Phenom.

On paper, the PS4 is a lot more powerful than the XBO.  The DDR5 RAM alone in the PS4 allows for a data throughput speed 5-8 times faster than the XBO's DDR3 RAM.

It is also important to note that the 500GB HDD in the XBO is a proprietary (non-user replaceable) HDD.  The XBO's optical drive is similarly a proprietary device and is likely a standard 2xBD drive with M$-customized firmware (don't expect to be able to play BD movies without an XBL Gold subscription).

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (264 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6253 posts

May 22, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

Now I am not a tech expert but after the new Xbox One was reveil today. We both have now, specs on both consoles. So what does this mean to me or any other gamer? I will place a comparison of the PS4 with the Xbox One.  When you see there seems to be a simliarity. But is there? I ask all those who are in the techy field and sort of educate the mass of gamers who are now wondering about what does it mean by Jaguar?

Xbox One                                                                                                                                                     PlayStation 4

CPU8-Core x86 AMD CPU (Xbox One is a 64-bit system)8-Core x86-64 AMD Jaguar 
GPUCustom AMD GPUAMD Radeon-based GPU
Memory8GB DDR3 (5 GB available to games)8GB GDDR5
Hard Drive500GBBuilt-in HDD, capacity TBA
Optical DriveBlu-ray (speed unknown)/DVDBlu-ray (6xCAV)/DVD
USB Ports3x USB 3.0 (2 on back, 1 on side)USB 3.0 (quantity unknown)
Video OutHDMI (4K video playback, but not gameplay), HDMI inputHDMI (4K video playback, but not gameplay), Analog-AV Out
AudioHDMI, S/PDIF opticalHDMI, S/PDIF optical
Communication10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet, 3x 802.11n radios w/Wi-Fi Direct for communication with controller and other devices10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
Additional OutputsIR (to control cable/satellite receiver)Aux (unknown)

I pull this from the article presented in Gameinformer presented hereThe Specs Also I know I can understand some of the language but if one can present answers that are in easy to understand manner, that would be appreciated.

Also I notice that the Xbox One had Cloud support. How is that different from Sony's Gaikai?

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

sony already has cloud support.  gaikai   is  digtial game streaming from the pc/mobile gaming arena..  As matter of fact sony has had cloud support thing even before they made  playstaiton console. :smileyhappy:.. is   gaikai going to use that .. we will hve to waitt and see.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6253 posts

May 22, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

The Jaguar is AMD's latest multi-core (x8) processor.  Actually, I can't really say that, since it hasn't "officially" been released, yet.  It is a 64-bit processor.  It will utiliize either the current AM3+ or AMD's upcoming FM2 socket (which means no more issues with lead-free solder - these are ZIF sockets typically found in consumer-upgradable PCs).

On paper, the PS4 is a lot more powerful than the XBO.  The DDR5 RAM alone in the PS4 allows for a data throughput speed 5-8 times faster than the XBO's DDR3 RAM.

It is also important to note that the 500GB HDD in the XBO is a proprietary (non-user replaceable) HDD.  The XBO's optical drive is similarly a proprietary device and is likely a standard 2xBD drive with M$-customized firmware (don't expect to be able to play BD movies without an XBL Gold subscription).

wow  hidden  greed  in the hdd// talk about making bank inside  a console :smileyvery-happy:

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (247 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

May 22, 2013
8gb of older memory, at least 3 is already in use by the 3 operating systems. That leaves a maximum of 5gb for games, apps, and everything else (not including the Kinect crap). The system is already killing itself and it was just announced… good job MS.
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (231 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3097 posts

May 22, 2013
The sad part is 500gb isn't enough for both game installs AND DVR HD recordings. I have a TiVo premier box and HD recordings can add up in space. Along side with 20-50gb game installs will eat it up quickly. Very bad move on the whole non removable hard drive.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (228 Views)
Fender Bender
3711 posts

May 22, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

interesting. Well I wasn't really planning on buying an Xbox One but I just wanted to know what the difference was. If Sony focus on the games and not some TV voice recgonition thing than I am fine. 

From what I seen from the conference, there really nothing I saw that I would care for! So come on with the PS4 preorder Amazon.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7403 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013

What I'm looking for is how the XBO is built. Sony had a custom CPU that combines CPU and GPU on-die with extra buses that enable speedier communication between the two.

Would the XBO have separate dies for CPU and GPU? How would they be connected to each other? A midrange DDR3 chip is slower than the GDDR3 the XB360 uses (14.4GB/s vs. 19.9GB/s). How would they compensate for that? And how would midrange DDR3 catch up with GDDR5? (14.4GB/s vs. 48GB/s) (Source)

-----

Note that the bandwidth I put in there is per-chip. The 360, One, PS3, PS4, etc. make an array of RAM chips that speed it up (Data Striping). But an Array is only the sum of it's parts so the question is still valid.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (214 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13661 posts

May 22, 2013

The specs of both systems seem similar to me. And the next gen games that have been shown thus far look good on both systems. The only negative that I see, is that MS's console still has a HDD that's too small. Especially if all of their games require a HDD install. Not being able to upgrade that will suck...IMO.

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (181 Views)
0 Likes