Sackboy
471 posts

Re: M$ vs $ony...the gloves are off!

Jun 28, 2005

Jak_the_man wrote:

Batista20 wrote:

Jak_the_man wrote:

petemd93088 wrote:
even,if all those companies do support blu-ray....the dvds themselves,besides the games are going to be more expensive than hd-dvd prob,another 5$ on dvds....

it wont,matter cause those people wont be able to get the movies they want on,hd-dvd, so they'll be forced to buy a blue ray. MS isnt gonna help,toshiba much, cause they never said they would use hd-dvd in the 360;

Oh yes, this sounds just brilliant. Do you read what you write?

We'll be paying more, because we're forced too!

And on your idea that people research who is backing a product before buying, that is complete garbage.

,The average consumer which comprises the vast majority of the market,,doesnt even research the actual product, let alone whos behind it.

no,,your getting me all wrong, I'm saying that there are alot of good movie,companies backing up blue ray, and sony owns alot of movies as well,,They wont release HD-DVD versions of their movies, and when there are,alot of great movies that wont come out on HD-DVD, then people will,have to buy blue ray to watch those. It will hurt blue ray somewhat as,well since hddvd will have movies it wont, but BR has more companies.,Besides that, noone said you have to buy blue ray, they'll still be,released on regular dvd, most people dont even have hdtv's so it'll be,useless until more people start buying them.  Then people will end,up buying whichever format their movie is on, and since most people,wont have thousands to spend on a hddvd player, they'll probably buy a,ps3 instead and alot of poeple will probably already have ps3's so Blue,Ray has a better chance of winning than hddvd, and why do you all of a sudden care so much about hddvd? BEcause ms decided to help toshiba? pfft.

No, its you people who care about BR because of Sony.
,MS until now has had absolutely no link to HD-DVD.
,I dont care which one ends up as the standard, I just tell it like it is in the real world, not what you hope will happen.
"Our ideal is for consumers to think to themselves, 'OK, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what." - Ken Kutaragi

Message 21 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2427 posts

Jun 28, 2005
The war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD will not affect MS. I mean, Blu-ray will have MS codec!

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Sept. 1, 2004 — The Blu-ray Disc Association and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include the VC-1 advanced compression video codec, the proposed SMPTE standard based on Windows Media ® Video 9, as a mandatory codec in Blu-ray Discs BD-ROM specification for video playback equipment.

"Weve been committed to adding advanced codecs to enrich the Blu-ray Disc format," said Blu-ray Disc spokesperson Maureen Weber, general manager of HPs Optical Storage Solutions Business. "We want to offer content providers a variety of compression codecs to suit their various needs. With the addition of Microsofts VC-1, we extend that option in a package that makes Blu-ray Discs capacity advantage even more substantial while still delivering the picture quality that consumers demand from high-definition technology."

Video codecs are used to compress video images for storage to a disc and then decompress them for viewing. A critical piece to Blu-ray Disc was making sure that any advanced compression codecs included in the specification accomplish the compression and decompression with little or no visible loss of image quality.

"Microsoft has been actively working with various standards groups, including Blu-ray, to deliver exciting and compelling next-generation, high-quality audio and video experiences for consumers across PC and consumer electronics devices," said Amir Majidimehr, corporate vice president for the Windows Digital Media Division at Microsoft. "VC-1, the emerging SMPTE standard based on Windows Media Video 9, is one of the key components in various HD optical formats, and we are extremely pleased that Blu-ray has chosen it as a mandatory compression technology for its format. Microsoft will maintain its neutral position in supporting the emerging high-definition video formats that deliver new possibilities for content providers and consumers."

Real Time Weapon Change for Massive Damage!!
Message 22 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4437 posts

Jun 28, 2005
1. Paramount
2. Universal
3. Warner Brothers
... support HD-DVD.  We better hope for a unified format or half the movies out there won't play in high definition on your PS3.
Message 23 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
448 posts

Jun 28, 2005

umm blu rays are hi def why wouldnt the blu ray movies play in hi def?  and to all the ppl saying bluray will cost more i'm pretty sure they already touched on that  and said the games prices will either be the same as now or  even cheaper

Message 24 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4172 posts

Jun 28, 2005

first off this is all about money and big business. why? because M$ is in both camps(bluray HD-dvd) with supplying software.

secondly, the PS3 plays DVDs so if you dont need new equipment to play HD-DVDs. so PS2, PS3, xbox and the 360 should be able to play HD-DVDs.  right?  if not can someone clear this up for me please.

Message 25 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4437 posts

Jun 28, 2005

,RATEDPG30 wrote:

first off this is all about money and big business. why? because M$ is in both camps(bluray HD-dvd) with supplying software.

secondly, the PS3 plays DVDs so if you dont need new equipment to play HD-DVDs. so PS2, PS3, xbox and the 360 should be able to play HD-DVDs.  right?  if not can someone clear this up for me please.

Some HD-DVD's will be released double-sided with one DVD side (standard definition) and one HD-DVD side (high definition).
Message 26 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4172 posts

Jun 28, 2005

but do you need new equipment or not?  if not they current and future consloes will play HD-DVDs right?

someone answer this for me please.

Message 27 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4437 posts

Jun 28, 2005

,RATEDPG30 wrote:

but do you need new equipment or not?  if not they current and future consloes will play HD-DVDs right?

someone answer this for me please.

You will need new equipment to play HD-DVD's in high definition.  Some discs may come double-sided with a DVD side, in which case you could play the standard defintion DVD side in any DVD player (including PS3).
Message 28 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4172 posts

Jun 28, 2005
so all this crazy talk about bluray and the consumer will need new equipment for both.  a unified platform would be nice but i prefer get the superior hardware over the other for my HDTV im getting next year for my PS3.  but im still hoping they come to some agreement.  can someone inform the author of this post that M$ is supporting the Blu ray as well with software.  they want to make money and they really dont care who wins this is a stupid post.,
Message 29 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1663 posts

Future versions of Xbox 360 may include HD-DVD

Jun 28, 2005
Future versions of Xbox 360 may include HD-DVD
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=9804

In,the article Bill Gates says "The initial shipments of Xbox 360 will be,based on today's DVD format," Gates explained. "We are looking at,whether future versions of Xbox 360 will incorporate an additional,capability of an HD DVD player or something else."

Now, potenial,360 buyers have something to think about, buy now or wait for the next,version.  This can't be good for sales.

Message Edited by Al-B on 06-28-2005 09:33 AM

Message 30 of 34 (0 Views)
0 Likes