Treasure Hunter
7736 posts

Re: Mercenary Kings... What an awful game.

Apr 3, 2014

PapaMac67 wrote:
constantly reloading the pistol and getting killed, can't shoot diagonely

I thought this game was inspired by Metal Slug. Not being able to fire diagonally would incredibly increase the difficulty of that game. Not cool. :smileyindifferent:

I'd still download and play this when I get my PS4 though. :smileytongue:

Message 21 of 183 (560 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2014

I was expecting a throwback to Contra / Metal Slug and was looking forward to this game so much, but instead I got a subpar game with  clunky controls and poor level design. What a shame. I wish they we had gotten Fez instead.

Message 22 of 183 (552 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Apr 3, 2014

Nice to know I'm not the only one who hated this game. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Message 23 of 183 (513 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1366 posts

Apr 3, 2014

Im personally getting tired of all these crappy indie games being put on PS4. They're riding the "Nostalgic" wagon way past the wheels falling off. I had no idea I was gonna be such a huge guinea pig for some garage devs when I bought a day 1 "next-gen" gaming console.

Enough is enough with this shovel-ware crap imo...

Message 24 of 183 (498 Views)
Sackboy
361 posts

Apr 3, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

this is how games were back in the 80s and 90s. you had limited time and lives. There were no infinte respawns and regenerating helth. if you wanted health you better find an apple or soda or chicken from a broken trash can or box. i for one like the game but know it wont be everyones cup of tea.

I am with you. I suspect a lot of people here may not have played games like this back in the day and are put off by the difficulty. Personally, I'm loving this game. It's like Mega-man + Journey to Silius + Borderlands. It's hard, but the replayability and weapon customization is great. Aside from technical issues, which I'm sure will be figured out over time, I'm quite happy. I would have paid for this game, but to have it free on Plus is just awesome. Different strokes for different folks.

Message 25 of 183 (483 Views)
PlayStation MVP
19138 posts

Apr 3, 2014

Elway358 wrote:

Im personally getting tired of all these crappy indie games being put on PS4. They're riding the "Nostalgic" wagon way past the wheels falling off. I had no idea I was gonna be such a huge guinea pig for some garage devs when I bought a day 1 "next-gen" gaming console.

Enough is enough with this shovel-ware crap imo...

Now you know what it's like to play on PC.

Message 26 of 183 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1694 posts

Apr 3, 2014

I played games from the 80s and 90s and I still don't think this one has much going for it.  And that's coming from someone who loves indies, often better than I like AAA games.

That said, I can see why it has a certain retro appeal to some players.

Message 27 of 183 (467 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1431 posts

Apr 3, 2014

All I have to say is really there is no need to come on here complaining about a game that you just are not good at. I love these retro games they are the best this game is based back around from the old style games were you had a number a lives and enemys never stop respawning its a challenging game so what dont play it if you dont like challenging yourself to become a better gamer

Message 28 of 183 (461 Views)
PlayStation MVP
19138 posts

Apr 3, 2014

Subion wrote:

All I have to say is really there is no need to come on here complaining about a game that you just are not good at. I love these retro games they are the best this game is based back around from the old style games were you had a number a lives and enemys never stop respawning its a challenging game so what dont play it if you dont like challenging yourself to become a better gamer

This is a very accurate description of the game. I've played some more of the game and have had some frustrating moments (like the one where I killed the Steel Soldier with only my Knife and didn't get the trophy for it or when I fall on an off-screen enemy and instantly die), but the game is a lot of fun. There's a fair amount of grinding similar missions over the whole 112 missions (of which 10 are story missions), but it's still entertaining.

Message 29 of 183 (456 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4274 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2014

PapaMac67 wrote:

Have been waiting for this game for a few weeks now...downloaded and played MK for about 2 hours...promptly uninstalled. What an awful game. I blame the developer...this could/should have been a good one. Clunky controls, lose 3 lives and fail mission, move 2 inches and all enemies respawn, frustrating gameplay. I tried the mission "Camp Makeover"  and failed? Your asked to get 2 pelts among other things in 10 minutes...I killed like 50 **bleep** foxes and pig things and  got 1 pelt? ...then ran out of time? **bleep** is up with that? Are pelts just randomely given up when the game feels like it? No explanation.

It shouldn't be impossible to complete a basic mission like this...tried it several time and always get 1 pelt? I tried "Guns and Blades" too. ..constantly reloading the pistol and getting killed, can't shoot diagonely so keep getting killed by those flying robot things...wanted to throw the controleer thru my TV....UNINSTALL! IMHO this game blows in its current form....glad i got it for free,

I have yet to play the game solo, so maybe my first impression would have been different. I have been playing online with my brother and two of his friends, so there is 3-4 of us playing at all times. It's a blast while playing online Co-Op with people you know.

3 Lifes is too much. And the game feels quite easy, actually. If your life bar is getting low, use your transmitter to go back to a hospital bay and heal. The respawning of enemies sounds like a bad idea, but it's actually not. It's a nice way to farm materials. And materials are used to sell and make money and used to build weapons / mods / upgrade your armor. So, where is the bad idea in that?

As for the mission you speak of about the pelts... That is odd, we were laughing about how 10 minutes was not necessary for such a quick mission (unless you are going for the bonus Feather objective.) We were able to complete the mission in 10 Seconds. We all love the game; The gameplay, weapon customization, and RPG elements make it fun. We all have only leveled up once so far and it unlocked a whole bunch of new weapon parts to purchase. So, I can only imagine what all will be come available as we continue to level up.

It's obviously not for everyone. It stinks you had such a horrible experience playing it. Our ONLY complaint so far, is how we can not make a private lobby. If there are just 3 of us, a 4th stranger can suddenly join.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 30 of 183 (455 Views)
0 Likes