Dec 05 2012
By: NiaHeartsChoco First Son 7 posts

Most Underrated PS3 Games?

[ Edited ]
27 replies 9860 views Edited Dec 5, 2012

Yep, just needed a refresher for the sake of good gaming.

Three big ones here:
-Heavenly Sword
-Alice: Madness Returns
-Dark Souls

Heavenly Sword was a great underrated game with great voice acting, characters, and stances that seem to have sank under the radar. I'm pretty sure it's on sale for a cheap price, go and pick one up if you want a nice action game with a good storyline.

Alice: Madness Returns is quite the unique game. Voice acting, the characters, art, scenery, and gameplay is awesome. Usually the combat parts are my favorite. The game also comes with the first Alice game if you get Madness Returns. DLC's for this game are pretty cool.

And lastly, Dark Souls. Oh dear god this game is good, frustrating, and everything good and bad mixed in one. It's online mechanics are great (or bad) depending if your playing with a friend or invading another player via online mode.

Just a couple to throw out there.

Message 1 of 28 (9,860 Views)
Wastelander
845 posts

Re: Most Underrated PS3 Games?

Dec 5, 2012

Heavenly Sword is rightfully up there. It's in my top 5 for PS3 games, but I believe you've missed a fantastic title that (in my opinion) is the best and most underrated PS3 gem: Valkyria Chronicles.

The games settings, art (oh my goodness the art), the voice acting, characters, story telling, gameplay, extras... There's so much to this game that I simply cannot express how much this deserves so much more praise than it got. If you ever see this, pick it up. You will not be disappointed.

Seriously, if Journey didn't give me the experience it did, I would name this game tops in every department. Those 2 games (and sometimes Flower) go hand and hand when I talk about the best of the PS3.

-Tim81DE

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Message 2 of 28 (9,842 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
50721 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Wow heavenly sword, I really did like that game a lot.

One of my most favorite games was actually Pixle Junk Monsters, its so much fun and I don't see many people ever play or talk about it (i know its old)

Message 3 of 28 (9,817 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5435 posts

Dec 5, 2012

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

One of my most favorite games was actually Pixle Junk Monsters, its so much fun and I don't see many people ever play or talk about it (i know its old)

Strange, that's one of the PSN games I've heard the most about.  Not as much anymore though, because yeah, it's old.

I haven't played Heavenly Sword or Alice.  I have played the original Alice game and Dark Souls, though I haven't finished either.

I have to agree that Valkyria Chronicles is underappreciated.  Which I think led to its sequel being a PSP game (a very good one, also :smileyhappy:).  It's disappointing especially that the 3rd game is unlikely to come to the US.

Message 4 of 28 (9,786 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1930 posts

Dec 8, 2012
war hwak. best online iv played hands down.. ZERO LAG... whoever wrote that net code... <3
Message 5 of 28 (9,706 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 8, 2012
I don't think Heavy Rain got the attention it deserved...
Message 6 of 28 (9,705 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11453 posts

Dec 8, 2012

JERM7 wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Strange, that's one of the PSN games I've heard the most about.  Not as much anymore though, because yeah, it's old.

I haven't played Heavenly Sword or Alice.  I have played the original Alice game and Dark Souls, though I haven't finished either.

I have to agree that Valkyria Chronicles is underappreciated.  Which I think led to its sequel being a PSP game (a very good one, also :smileyhappy:).  It's disappointing especially that the 3rd game is unlikely to come to the US.

PixelJunk Monsters is definitely up there as one of my most preferred gaming experiences in PlayStation Network form. Heavenly Sword is also very good itself. I haven't played the other two, but Valkyria Chronicles was kind of decent.

As for more recent underappreciated games, I would probably say that Okabu has been overlooked. Asura's Wrath doesn't seem to be on the minds of many players either.

Message 7 of 28 (9,697 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Awesome to see Heavenly Rain getting some love. I think too many folks overlooked that game and still haven't experienced it. Andy Serkis' acting/motion capture/voice-over work is amazing. The game still looks great 5 years on.

Dunno if Casltevania: Lord of Shadow qualifies as "underrated" but I really don't think the game got the accolades or attention that it deserves. It's amazing from start to finish. 

Honorable mentions:

• The Darkness 
  • Valkryia Chronicles
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Singularity (it's a shooter, sure but really good)

Message 8 of 28 (9,683 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
845 posts

Dec 8, 2012

I actually have Eternal Sonata on my shelf waiting to be played.

And I think everyone here is right about Pixeljunk Monsters. I love the game so much I bought a couple versions for my PSP, the digital version for my Vita, and my wife and played the heck out of each. Truly the best tower defense game on the PS3.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Message 9 of 28 (9,678 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2083 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Valkyria Chronicles is awesome. Really needs a trophy patch. Believe it or not I think it would increase the sales of it. :smileyvery-happy:

Message 10 of 28 (9,674 Views)
0 Likes