Sackboy
479 posts

Re: Multiple Video OUTPUTS!!

Jul 7, 2013

I don't see the big deal when there are HDMI to RCA converter boxes for cheap.

Message 21 of 30 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

BR4CR wrote:

Sorry about the multiple replies. I thought replying to a post meant I was replying to a post.

Just because they've never done it before doesn't excuse not doing it in the future. Any amount of degradation is too much, IMHO. And these splitters are not free. After paying $600. for a console, I expect the bare bones basics that Sony had been delivering (without my having to ask them) for the past 26 years.

Also: Sony has PROMISED the ability to record. They have PROMISED you can upload to youtube. They promised backwards compatibility then took it away from us. I don't trust their promises. Will I be able to edit these videos before posting? Can I load them off of the PS4 into my PC for editing? Can I post them to facebook or to a gaming website? There are way too many unanswered questions for me to rely on any promises Sony makes.

they made the whole abiltiy to share and stream gameplay videos right from the ps4 as one of its selling points...  hell there is a share button right on the controller... and it would be safe to assume you would be able to edit the videos and uplkoad to youtube... they even said it, and the ps3 is able right now to edit videos that you make, hell i myself took a clip from a mlb the show and uploaded it to youtube..  so i have a hard time thinking that it wouldnt be the same with the ps4.  

oh and im pretty sure you will be able to transfer the video file to a computer to edit to your hearts content...   so in reality as it stands it dont need to have multiple outputs

>

Message 22 of 30 (130 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11160 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

BR4CR wrote:

The purpose of having multiple video outputs would be to run an HDMI cable to my HD TV and a separate HDMI cable to my DVD recorder so I can record my game sessions without having to buy extra hardware (splitter) that degrades the video signal. Think beyond the end of your nose, man.

The PS4 will output at 1080p.  A DVD recorder records at 480p.  Just the simple act of recording on DVD media is degrading the signal.

You do realize, of course, that at 1080p, a dual-layer DVD will only be able to hold about 5 minutes of video?

I've used a recording device to record 1080p game play (the Elgato Game Capture).  The filesize is HUMONGOUS at 1080p (@60fps).  I'm talking 300GB per hour big.

Yes, they can fit a 2+ hour 1080p movie on a dual-layer Blu-ray disk, but keep in mind, a movie only runs at about 24fps.  To record 1080p gameplay at the full 60fps, you will need at least 2TB of space for any decent length of time.

Message 23 of 30 (126 Views)
Last Guardian
12011 posts

Jul 7, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

BR4CR wrote:

The purpose of having multiple video outputs would be to run an HDMI cable to my HD TV and a separate HDMI cable to my DVD recorder so I can record my game sessions without having to buy extra hardware (splitter) that degrades the video signal. Think beyond the end of your nose, man.

The PS4 will output at 1080p.  A DVD recorder records at 480p.  Just the simple act of recording on DVD media is degrading the signal.

You do realize, of course, that at 1080p, a dual-layer DVD will only be able to hold about 5 minutes of video?

I've used a recording device to record 1080p game play (the Elgato Game Capture).  The filesize is HUMONGOUS at 1080p (@60fps).  I'm talking 300GB per hour big.

Yes, they can fit a 2+ hour 1080p movie on a dual-layer Blu-ray disk, but keep in mind, a movie only runs at about 24fps.  To record 1080p gameplay at the full 60fps, you will need at least 2TB of space for any decent length of time.

thats another good point...  by recording to a dvd recorder you are degrading the quality..  so it renders the ops point moot...  

>

Message 24 of 30 (120 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
864 posts

Jul 7, 2013
I would love dual output just for the option of having multiplayer on one console, but each player have option of dedicated screen instead of split screen.
Message 25 of 30 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

I know it degrades the signal to the DVD recorder but it ALSO degrades the signal to the HDMI port on my HD TV. And I'm getting 6 hours of recording time on my DVD recorder so I'm not clear on where those limitations are coming from.

Anyone suggesting that I go out and spend money on a splitter can feel free to buy me one.

We still have the unsubstantiated claim that it would cost more to put a second video OUT on the console and I still claim Sony has been putting multiple video OUTs on their home video products for over 25 years. Why did they stop with the game console?

Message 26 of 30 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12011 posts

Jul 7, 2013

BR4CR wrote:

I know it degrades the signal to the DVD recorder but it ALSO degrades the signal to the HDMI port on my HD TV. And I'm getting 6 hours of recording time on my DVD recorder so I'm not clear on where those limitations are coming from.

Anyone suggesting that I go out and spend money on a splitter can feel free to buy me one.

We still have the unsubstantiated claim that it would cost more to put a second video OUT on the console and I still claim Sony has been putting multiple video OUTs on their home video products for over 25 years. Why did they stop with the game console?

face it ok its not going to happen it was never done on any home console...  so if you want to do the thing you plan on doing your just going to have to settle with either getting a game capture device or use what sony provides you with the ps3 and ps4...

>

Message 27 of 30 (101 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11160 posts

Jul 7, 2013

BR4CR wrote:

Cost aside, the reason most other devices have had multiple video out options is to cover a variety of output devices.  A VCR had multiple outs to cover both Composite and Component output devices.  A DVD player had Composite, Component, S-Video and later, HDMI to cover both a variety of analog, and later, digital connections.

Up to, and including the PS3 and XB1, game consoles have also left the option for different outputs in place, as the analog connections are still in place (for now).

As I've stated, sometime between now and 2017 or so, analog support in televisions is going to be abandoned completely, replaced by digital-only connections.  An analog connection has absolutely no support/capability for 4K technology, which will probably become the standard by around 2020 (much like 720p/1080p is today).  As such, both M$ and Sony have decided to take that next step with this next generation.  As for the hardware, it is not just the port that has been removed, but the capability of the console to convert the digital picture to an analog signal (which is where the real cost-of-manufacture savings come into play - converters that perform this function cost between $50 and $100, so there's your cost for that).

I guess, in a way, you can blame the FCC for the abandonment of analog television (and by extension analog gaming), as they are the ones that pulled the plug on analog broadcast signals 5 years or so ago.  Everything is already digital.  The analog connections on your VCRs, DVD Players and other A/V devices are just an echo of days long past.

A 4K TV that I looked at a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping had 5 HDMI inputs and one single Component input.  There was another TV that had no analog inputs at all.

Message 28 of 30 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12011 posts

Jul 7, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

BR4CR wrote:

Cost aside, the reason most other devices have had multiple video out options is to cover a variety of output devices.  A VCR had multiple outs to cover both Composite and Component output devices.  A DVD player had Composite, Component, S-Video and later, HDMI to cover both a variety of analog, and later, digital connections.

Up to, and including the PS3 and XB1, game consoles have also left the option for different outputs in place, as the analog connections are still in place (for now).

As I've stated, sometime between now and 2017 or so, analog support in televisions is going to be abandoned completely, replaced by digital-only connections.  An analog connection has absolutely no support/capability for 4K technology, which will probably become the standard by around 2020 (much like 720p/1080p is today).  As such, both M$ and Sony have decided to take that next step with this next generation.  As for the hardware, it is not just the port that has been removed, but the capability of the console to convert the digital picture to an analog signal (which is where the real cost-of-manufacture savings come into play - converters that perform this function cost between $50 and $100, so there's your cost for that).

I guess, in a way, you can blame the FCC for the abandonment of analog television (and by extension analog gaming), as they are the ones that pulled the plug on analog broadcast signals 5 years or so ago.  Everything is already digital.  The analog connections on your VCRs, DVD Players and other A/V devices are just an echo of days long past.

A 4K TV that I looked at a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping had 5 HDMI inputs and one single Component input.  There was another TV that had no analog inputs at all.

while ps3 supports both types of connections i am unsure if it can do them at the same time, i know switching from hdmi to component would require a video settings reset, 

>

Message 29 of 30 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
11160 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Teus wrote:
while ps3 supports both types of connections i am unsure if it can do them at the same time, i know switching from hdmi to component would require a video settings reset, 

You are correct.  Most other A/V devices have the same limitations.  They can output via component or HDMI, but not both at the same time.

With the PS3, however, while you can only output VIDEO via HDMI OR Multi-AV, you can simultaneously output AUDIO on both (hence the multiple-out option in audio settings).

Message 30 of 30 (82 Views)
0 Likes