Apr 09 2011
By: cloudstrifehammy First Son 3 posts

My PSP Randomly Shuts Off...

8 replies 12379 views Edited Apr 9, 2011

Alright, so here's the deal. I bought a PSP slim (2000 or 3000 series, not entirely sure...  color:  silver, if that matters at all...) from a person I know for around $60.  The question here, is not whether I did or did not get ripped off, I  just want to know what is happening to this PSP...

So... here's what's going on and a few details and things I've found out from playing around with it a few days:

For  starters, it is in OFW, the latest version (the one that came with the  Dissidia 012 game.) I put the game in and started playing. I managed to  fit in about 15 hours until my first problem came up. The PSP just  randomly turned off by itself. At first, I thought it was the battery,  but I found it odd considering I had over 50% of my battery life left  the last time I checked. I put it to charge and attempted to turn it on  again. When it came on, it asked me to put in the time and date again.  This struck me as even odder, considering that this only happens if you  let your PSP sit without any battery for a LONG time. From my experience  with PSPs, even when the battery runs out, it does like a small  "auto-save" where you can return to exactly where you were when the  battery ran out if you charge it in a matter of minutes. Also, it SHOULD  give you the little sign that shows the PSP battery is dead before  shutting down. None of this happened... It just completely shuts off with no warning, no blinking battery light on the right, nothing.

Anyway, I charged the PSP  completely and tried it again. After about an hour or two, the same  thing happened. Now I was getting worried. Lately, it's been happening  more and more frequently. Something else I've noticed; the more time I spend  without turning it on after it "shuts down" the longer I can play... I  didn't turn on the PSP for about 3 days and I was able to get about an  hour of gameplay into it... however, if I try to turn it on as soon as  it turns off... it just shuts off before I can even set the time and date again...

Additionally,  I considered it could be the battery that had a problem. So I tried  playing it without the battery, and playing it directly from the AC adapter wall  charger... same thing happened. So I'm beginning to think it's not the  battery...

Specs about the PSP: It has an official Sony PSP  battery 2.6V 1200 mAh. I'm using the official Sony PSP charger as  well... Does anyone have ANY idea what is wrong with it? And how to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info, please let me know.

Message 1 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

Re: My PSP Randomly Shuts Off...

Apr 10, 2011

Hello! Welcome to the forums.

cloudstrifehammy wrote:

Alright, so here's the deal. I bought a PSP slim (2000 or 3000 series, not entirely sure...  color:  silver, if that matters at all...) from a person I know for around $60.

Could you look at these photos and compare your PSP to it? The one above is a 2000, the one below it is the 3000. Notice the position of the "Sony" logo and the shape of the buttons below the screen.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4633/psp3000vs20001.jpg

I *think* I spotted a thread somewhere in the forums about a person complaining that their PSP is randomly shutting down. Could you state your model so I can look for it?

Message 2 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Apr 11, 2011

Hey Doppelgangergang, first, thanks for caring and replying and for welcoming me into the community.

I don't have my PSP on me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's the top one (2000 series) because I don't think I've ever seen those button shapes on a PSP before lol. Or at least, none of the PSPs that I or my friends have owned. So yeah, I'd say I'm about 90% sure that it's the top one.

I think I did see a forum around here about something similar to what is happening to my PSP, but I'm pretty sure it was a slightly different problem. But still, it wouldn't hurt to check anyway. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

Apr 14, 2011

Have you tried a different battery and charger? If you have a friend who has a PSP, you can try theirs.

Message 4 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Apr 15, 2011

I've tried using both a different charger and a different battery... nothing. I'm beginning to think that it's a problem with some of the inner framework of the PSP... wherever the battery connects to or something. Or some other hardware mistake. :/

Well, regardless, I already called up the person who sold it to me and that person will be paying me back my $60 tomorrow. After all, I paid $60 for a WORKING PSP, not a defective one. ^^;

Thanks for your help though. :3

Message 5 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 19, 2011

I've had this same problem a few times. It doesn't happen very frequently though.

First off, I take very good care of my PSP. It is in wonderful condition, and I make sure not to leave it on the charger  much, or leave the PSP itself on for more than 3 hours.

For some reason or another, mine usually shuts off after about 2 hours of gameplay. Out of any given 1-to-3 month period it only happens once or twice.

I have always just assumed that I had been playing the game for about half the battery life, and the PSP automatically shuts down to preserve power, or to make sure the player isn't on a playing binge spiraling into an epileptic seisure. Although, I never quite understood why it would completely shut down rather than go into standby mode.

Unfortunately, for the first time today it had shut down after only an hour of play which in-turn made me decide to ask the Google machine, and here I am.

Message 6 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 8, 2012

Sadly I am having this same issue and I'm pretty worried. It's happened twice while playing DDFF prologus, so that was from the stick and I'm pretty sure it's done it while just sitting around too. Worse is I finally finished prologus and moved on to the real DDFF and it's not only freezing on some white screens BUT it has also again started shutting down by itself, i frankly don't know what to do as this was a bundle one I got for x-mas. Has there been any word about this yet?

Message 7 of 9 (12,379 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Apr 24, 2013

maybe you should repair it to emall and its free check up

Message 8 of 9 (10,492 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 20, 2015
Your problem exactly the same problem i am facing now . From what i know , it must be internal parts of psp that have broken or it is too hot for the psp engine to run . Just like laptop , when it goes too hot , it shuts down itself
Message 9 of 9 (5,481 Views)
0 Likes