Reply
Feb 06 2013
By: letrinox42 First Son 26 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

[ Edited ]
9 replies 160 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

So I don't think the first PS4s will be backwards compatible. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind being able to play games from PSone all the way to PS4 era on one system. And why not? PS3 does this by having "Classics" on the store. But who has the time/money to download all the digital versions of their games from the store. I for one have 80+ games. 

 

How about if for the PS4, Sony does this: If you want to, you can pay a one time fee of $100 or so and become a member of the Sony Classics Club or something? When you do, you can insert a PSone/2/3 game into your PS4 (so the machine recognizes that you do own that title) then type in the unique serial number (so gamesharing wouldn't be possible and Sony wouldn't worry about this). Then you can go and download the digital version of that game FOR FREE. 

 

Of course, this would require Sony to emulate an enormous number of games, and you'd need a good amount of memory on your PS4. Still...So what do you think of this idea?

 

*EDIT* I think this would be a good selling point for the PS4. If Sony wants people to choose the next PS over the next Xbox, what better way than to say that you could play all your PS games on this ONE system? Those 360 owners who still have their PS2 games lying around might end up having to choose the PS4 if it had this AND free online again.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (160 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
28048 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013

letrinox42 wrote:

So I don't think the first PS4s will be backwards compatible. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind being able to play games from PSone all the way to PS4 era on one system. And why not? PS3 does this by having "Classics" on the store. But who has the time/money to download all the digital versions of their games from the store. I for one have 80+ games. 

 

How about if for the PS4, Sony does this: If you want to, you can pay a one time fee of $100 or so and become a member of the Sony Classics Club or something? When you do, you can insert a PSone/2/3 game into your PS4 (so the machine recognizes that you do own that title) then type in the unique serial number (so gamesharing wouldn't be possible and Sony wouldn't worry about this). Then you can go and download the digital version of that game FOR FREE. 

 

Of course, this would require Sony to emulate an enormous number of games, and you'd need a good amount of memory on your PS4. Still...So what do you think of this idea?


Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think the idea is awful.

 

It's not going to be implemented for the very reasons you have stated in your own post.

 

It's going to be a 'PS4', not a PS3 or PS2, but a 'PS4'.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (157 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 01/29/2013
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013
I'm not too thrilled with the idea of a new system yet, to be honest with you. Cell phones and tablets have new versions released all the time, and they are seldom worth an upgrade. I just don't see any worthwhile revolutionary aspects yet, and the trend to control consumers and restrict basically everything they have access to disappoints me. I hate the idea, to name an example, of games that only one person can use.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (144 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013
It is just far easier for people that want to play a game that is available for download, just to pay that fee for access. IMO PS1 & PS2 classics aren't that expensive in the first place...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (138 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/05/2012
Offline
26 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013

Hey man, I know what you mean. I don't like the thought of a new system coming out any more than you do. I think graphics are good just the way they are. And if they're not good enough, developers shouldn't blame the system, they should blame themselves because some games have almost realistic graphics. But in Sony's defense, the PS3 has been out for some time and there are people looking for change. As for the "one game-one person" issue, I agree too. People go to Gamestop for used games as well as new. If they ever made games that could only be for one person, Gamestops would close down, marking a sad day indeed. But my idea would require a one-use deal or else Sony wouldn't want to implement it, knowing that people could gameshare when they'd put so much time into emulating the classics for paying customers.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (133 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/05/2012
Offline
26 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013

True, you could usually get classics at $10-$20, but what about people like me who have tons of games from the PSone/PS2 eras? Maybe instead of paying $60 for Ratchet, Jak, and Sly collections, I'd rather spend a one time fee of $100, get those games, PLUS the other billion games I have. Think about it, you paid hundreds of dollars for PS3 games (I assume), why would you want to pay that amount again to get the digital versions from the PS store for PS4? Instead, get them free (after a one time fee) plus tons of your previous gen games. And don't try saying that if you wanted to play PS3 games, you'd whip out your PS3. No one wants to keep switching out the wires or cluttering their living rooms with multiple systems. The thought of finding my PS2 and setting it up again deters me from playing my old games.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (132 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 12/26/2012
Online
41 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013

vm1138 wrote:
I'm not too thrilled with the idea of a new system yet, to be honest with you. Cell phones and tablets have new versions released all the time, and they are seldom worth an upgrade. I just don't see any worthwhile revolutionary aspects yet, and the trend to control consumers and restrict basically everything they have access to disappoints me. I hate the idea, to name an example, of games that only one person can use.

Me too. as someone else stated the graphics are great as they are. not that im against change but tred to kill a second hand market just rubs me the wrong way. Im dont buy alot of games as it is, I rent games and alot of games I play arent worth what they cost since I play them through one time and never play them again.

 

Another reason I dislike the leasing of rights to play a game, which is all it is, is because of a bad experience I had with my xbox live when I first got it. Basically I had purchased a couple arcade games and downloaded them (about $30 worth) and a month later my gamertag was perma banned because the name on my live account didn't match my creddit card. And with it they revoked the rights for me to play those arcade games. 

 

So if any new next gen system is a download only system or ties a disc to one gamertag or PSN ID I won't be getting it. unless game prices come down signifcantly, like $10 for a full game on release (which will never happen). If i'm going to buy something (which I rarely do) I should be able to resell it if I want to or rent games like I do now.

 

And I hate Gamestop lol. I could care less if they go out of business.  

 

But now that I think of it if the price was right I would rent direct from the develeopers or Sony/Microsoft. maybe a pay to play for a specified time period. like pay $5.00 and get access to the game for a week or $1.00 per day of play or something. 


Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (125 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2013

letrinox42 wrote:

True, you could usually get classics at $10-$20, but what about people like me who have tons of games from the PSone/PS2 eras? Maybe instead of paying $60 for Ratchet, Jak, and Sly collections, I'd rather spend a one time fee of $100, get those games, PLUS the other billion games I have. Think about it, you paid hundreds of dollars for PS3 games (I assume), why would you want to pay that amount again to get the digital versions from the PS store for PS4? Instead, get them free (after a one time fee) plus tons of your previous gen games. And don't try saying that if you wanted to play PS3 games, you'd whip out your PS3. No one wants to keep switching out the wires or cluttering their living rooms with multiple systems. The thought of finding my PS2 and setting it up again deters me from playing my old games.


First of all the PS4 has to be capable of emulating the other PS systems. PS1 emulation is fairly simple to do just with software, but PS2 & PS3 isn't likely to be as simple. 

 

With PS3 games I think Sony will use the Gaikai streaming service so you could play the game on the PS4 without emulating them. 

 

If you are so concerned about what the PS4 will allow, I suggest you wait for the official PS4 announcements in the coming months. If you are concerned that physical games may not work in the PS4, you may want to start buying all your PS3 games in the digital format.

 

Digital PS1 & PS2 games are priced fairly at it is. Nintendo has been selling digital versions of their older games for years, and people that are interested buy them because they are reasonably priced. 

 

I don't see a senario where Sony is going to be giving free versions of its PS1/PS2/PS3 games just because you purchaed the physical version before, even with your proposed one-time $100 fee...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (124 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 05/09/2013
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

May 9, 2013
For the PS4 they should have Grandtheftauto 5,COD Ghosts,BattleField 4, and transfer DC Universe over for part of launch games. Maybe only maybe also Batman Arkham Origins and if they want Saints Row 4. All for when the ps4 first comes out you can buy those games. For DC Universe just you know download it. And they already have Assassin Creed 4 Black Flag on launch I think so yeah.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (75 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
15006 posts
 

Re: My idea for PS4. Your thoughts?

May 10, 2013

jrob15xrmrfr wrote:
For the PS4 they should have Grandtheftauto 5,COD Ghosts,BattleField 4, and transfer DC Universe over for part of launch games. Maybe only maybe also Batman Arkham Origins and if they want Saints Row 4. All for when the ps4 first comes out you can buy those games. For DC Universe just you know download it. And they already have Assassin Creed 4 Black Flag on launch I think so yeah.

regardless if the games are launch titles or not.... people are STILL going to buy them on the platform they prefer.

GTA5 is GUARANTEED to not be a launch title... it has an "Early 2014" release. PS4 release is "Holiday 2013".

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (46 Views)
Reply
0 Likes