Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 22 2012
By: PapaWarlock PlayStation MVP 11166 posts

NRA Blaming Video Games for the Violence.

172 replies 864 views Edited Dec 22, 2012

This is something that does concern us as gamers, as Mr.. LaPierre is hardly the first one to try to foist the blame for mass murders on the gaming industry.  This a rather long post, when I wrote it in MS Word it was 3 pages long. Feel free to comment if you want but basically I just wanted to share my thoughts (again) on the ever popular topic of Video Game Violence.

(The Too Long, Don't Want to Read version) There is more to the tragedy than simply video games. Video games have done me a lot of good over the years. There are a lot of factors that go into what causes someone to do what they do. Mental Illness, Stress, the economy, Depression, etc...

Read on for the "Wall of Text" version :smileyhappy:

After reading the NRA's response to last week's horror, I have this to say. "I'm mad." I should not be surprised though. Video games seem to be a popular scapegoat for Politicians and Pundits of all kinds. 

Wayne LaPierre's direct quote on video game companies. "There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people. Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse."

There's more in the NRA's official statement to be mad about, but as an avid, lifelong gamer, I have to repeat myself and say "I'm irritated!" I don't often get mad about the misguided views on video games, gamers and the industry at large. Yet when I do get really irritated, I often go on rants.

Now I realize that many US citizens do not care about the world past our own borders. They don't care if other countries have less crime, better schools or even more decent people. They only care about the US of A and the rights of the People within her borders. However, allow me to make the following blanket statement.

"If video games are so fundamental to the rise in violence in our children as is often proclaimed by many politicians, lawyers and other idiots like the NRA, then why in God's name aren't other countries experiencing the same rise in mass murder and violence that we in the US of A have?"

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, let me explain why I'm irrate. I am a gamer. I've been playing video games for 30 years. I am not violent for the most part. Provoke me enough and I do get angry, but past verbal assaults, I’m rather tame. When I get mad I turn to video games to satisfy my need for violence.

I am not naïve or stupid enough to believe that violent media (and by association, violent video games) do not or cannot have an impact on the developing minds of our children. I am not saying there is no correlation at all between them. However I will argue the extent in which those games will impact young minds. Granted I am neither a psychiatrist nor sociologist, but as an individual on the inside of this culture I have personal experience with its influence.

For roughly the first 20 years that I gamed, I did so solo. No internet connection with the rest of the world. Few, if any, friends that I grew up with played video games. Most of my school mates played sports rather than video games. The slowly growing gaming industry and culture were considered “fringe” elements. Only freaks, geeks and other losers played video games. As an introvert, video games were my friends. They allowed me to be the hero, to save the world, to save the princess, to be needed. I didn't’t need people because people only hurt me. It was a safety net. I could take out my frustrations with those who teased and taunted me inside the virtual world. (Books also lent a huge hand here, but that’s a different topic, for another day.)

I was raised knowing right from wrong. I was raised to know that if I actually killed or hurt someone, I could go to jail. I wasn't’t interested in becoming someone’s “property”. I wasn't’t interested in spending the rest of my life behind bars, wishing I was free. No, I knew better. I also don’t particularly care for pain, despite some misconceptions by family. I had no interest in picking fights and getting hurt. Besides you can only kill people once in real life. If you use them for target practice inside of a video game, you can kill them many times over. Not to mention I can’t go to jail for killing in a video game.

I have to admit though that very few of my early games actually used guns to solve violence. I generally preferred platformer games like Mario or fantasy role playing games like Final Fantasy. I did like Contra and a few others but not as much. Besides my tormentors growing up looked better when I imagined them like goblins and ogres anyway.

Video games have long been a cathartic outlet for me. Video games and books were my way to safely deal with things so that I could continue to function. It is not easy being an Introvert in the American culture. Playing video games also allowed me to sort through my chaotic mind and let things come to their conclusion.

I now live with chronic pain that stems from a work related injury. I have to take opioid medications to manage the intense pain I live with. If not for my wife, my daughter and video games, I probably would have committed suicide years ago.

Today video games are far more common than they were when I was growing up. Millions of people across the world play video games. Millions of people get online and socialize via video games. I have met some cool people online in video games like my friends Ezekiel, Marc, Allen, John, Jamie and Ray. My friend Rob Leeds and I used to talk about video games when I was working. I also had gaming conversations with other co-workers.

My wife and I spent 4 years playing an online Role Playing Game called Final Fantasy XI. We made some solid friends online. My wife plays flash games on Facebook; primarily Farmville now. She also now owns a 3DS XL and a couple of games for it. Her games however are far far different than mine. Hers do not contain violence. Her games are puzzle games like Sudoku and Pogo Island.

I remember playing games like Oregon Trail; Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego and Lemonade Stand when I was in Junior High (Middle school). There are educational video games out there that help children to learn useful skills. I even bought a Math one to help my daughter when she was younger. Heck I think I played a few math games when I was a child. I think there were some keyboarding ones that I used to help learn how to type better.

Video games today help bring people from across the globe together. I met gamers in Japan, Canada, Germany for example when I played Final Fantasy XI. With the Playstation Network I’ve made friends in Canada and in different states like Maine and Louisiana. My brother is hearing impaired. With video games he’s able to communicate far more effectively than he does in real life. (Although I have to admit I still don’t understand him, but that’s the way of siblings I think.)

Far too often it seems that when non-gaming people think of video games, all they can see is the violence. They see the Call of Duty war games and think that’s all gaming is: Killing. They see Mortal Kombat and think all video games are gory. They see young males going out and spree killing and think “Must be the video games.”

It’s not. Can video games impact the minds of young children? Yes they can, but so can a whole slew of other media formats. If you let video games raise your children for you, then yes, children will think its okay to kill. If you don’t instill morals and values in your children, they will think it is ok to kill. But if you look at all of those who commit these heinous acts you’ll find the real cause of the violence: mental instability, mental health issues, and a lack of morals in some cases or a lack of parenting in other cases.

I am proud to be a Gamer. It’s a shame that people want to use them as scapegoats for the problems that plague our society instead of looking for the root causes. Video games aren't’t the problem. People are the problem. Our culture of violence is the problem. The problem isn't’t simple; it is complex, complicated and varies. If it was this easy to label and identify the problem, it would have been solved a long time ago.

Message 1 of 173 (864 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14049 posts

Re: NRA Blaming Video Games for the Violence.

Dec 22, 2012

Yeah, I saw that. Anything to deflect from the Gun control debate huh? The problem is that it wasn't the gun, video games, or violent movies that caused Adam Lanza to shoot 27 people (including 20 children...disgusting really), it was Adam Lanza himself. It's not the gun, it's the person using the gun. It's not the violent movie, it a mentally unstable person thinking that it's Ok that they can do that kind of violence in real life. It's not the violent video game, because games are entertianment and most sane people know this. Shooting a enemy in a game is NOT like shooting a real person. And it's not OK to do that in real life. Most kids know this and so do most adult gamers and parents. What happened was sad, but blaming anything or anyone else other than the shooter is a mistake. 

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 2 of 173 (852 Views)
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

Well... you must understand that shooting games are very popular these days and well even kids are into them and there mommys and daddys are okay with them playing it so blame the parents I SAY IN MY OPINION "Stupid mother **bleep** dumb **bleep** replies with a smart **bleep** thing to say.."

Video Games dont really screw you up as much but there very popular now my little nephews are addicted to games my sister lets her son play NFL games with his dad.. Sounds alright to me i mean there just sports games and he does seem more curious about NFL cause he likes to pretend hes playing the game when his dad really is the one playing and winning.

But my oldest sister has a more stupider kid because when he was around 2 his dad let him play violent games like Gears of War he even likes to show the depictions of mutilation, i for one kept telling my sister that her child should not be viewing such material but she says "Pillow its just a game".. Realy? its a game intended to be played by 17 year olds and that kid is only 5 now.

But i also blame the dad because he is so stupid showing him all these things "LOOK BUDDY LETS PLAY COD MW3" what does he say? "**bleep** yeah COD were gona kick butt"... Yeah he cusses now and the dad is ok with that.

Games may have negative impacts twards kids im not sure what age kids started playing games i started playing when i was 6 years old but my mom had strict rules about playing games on my PlayStation i was only able to play for 1 hour every weekday and i was able to play for 2 hours every weekend. She felt that playing was not much of a good idea because she actually reads the manuals and told me what happens when you overplay IT WORKED "Pillow if you play alot of games to much you will get, dizzy and you will throw up and your going to start shacking and your vision will be bad and you wont see straight ever again."

She used fear on me to make sure i wouldnt play games excessively but its of course seizures, but i didnt play as much i just went ridding my skateboard and playing with my neighbors and classmates from school infact as a kid i barely touched video games untill i bought my Xbox 360 in Middle School.

Maybe if parents were more strict on games we wouldnt have stupider youth these days.

I completely blame the parents for not reading the ratings, i was not allowed to play T and M games AT ALL as a kid my mom said there bad games and well i didnt own any T games till i was 13 and M rated games till i was around 13 she felt it was ok then.

In these case i blame the parents cause a kid cant go on the store and just pick up a M rated game unless with a parent or guardian

YEAH they actually need a parent to go with the kid to the store to buy a game.. infact back when i was 13 in a half. i wanted Conker Live and Reloaded so much that i told my mom to buy the game for me at EB games over at Los Angeles she was not ok with it but bought it for me anyway and trust me SHE HATED IT but she did punish me for buying a very graphic game and enforced a rule on me playing it i was to only play it with her sitting next to me or my dad. I was having fun sure big breasted sun flowers, guns, gore, a smoking squirrel and other violent material like a alien popping out of a Panthers stomach was graphic enough it took me 2 weeks to beat the game and afterwards i no longer touched the game and just resumed my life and my parents took my game away and they said they hided it to never play it again.. i got that game back when i was 17 i still play it and i love it.

Games never trully have had negative impacts on me cause i had my parents to tell me what i was playing mostly my mom.

And if my nephews tried to touch my PS3 i would not let them at all i wouldnt even let them watch it there to stupid enough as it is.

Infact Microsoft did a good thing putting the one thing my mom freaked out over the most on there game, a label that states "WARNING:This game is not fro anyone under age 17"

Untitled 20.png

**Maybe games should have a Warning label on them infact theres two if you include the M rating in the lower left and the warning to the lower right

Message 3 of 173 (844 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6424 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

i agree  with  alot of what  youve said, this  is why i kudo'd it  but heres apart i disagree  with or  im trying to debate from on point of  view.

In japan they have  thousand s of video game titles with no  violence, none what so  ever, maybe  comic mischief. The crime level in  japan  is low, china  as well..  Also in some countries music is banned.  Becuase it does play a impact on your  morals and values.  I 'll tell you this much   usa games are way to violent and gun  based 80% of the time, it shows the mind frame of the society culture as whole,  if every usa made  games is trying to be  the next gta or cod . It doesnt help the cause for the kids playing it on social or mental level. If you  look at a video game  they are getting more real in detail.  Kinda like 'heavy rain"   looking real. You can actually do these acts.. while a japanese game like  the journey or w/e   here it a guy /gal is  bedsheets running throught hot endless  desert looking for  friends and story to tell , not  drop of  water to be found.. I  doubt kids want run through the hot desert looking for an adventure in a bedding sheets. They know it not as fun as the journey make it be. YOu can know its not fun to do that in real life, no one  would want to be in that position  for a good time inthe real  world.

While games like cod or  gta  you can do those things,  you can actually do them right now. That is here the problem lye.. games are to realistic and too  violent and lack of diversity in  playing  ways.   THe majority  of gamers play games  for the violence and fun of violent  acts nothe challnege anymore. If look at the best seller for the last 5 years of gaming they a have  violent acts in them and you can actually do these acts and the majority are usa based. Just like  ahistory  book  does a video game  will express the  culture of mind frame of the times.

So he does have good point,  video game are to  blame  some what  ,its becuase   publisher/dev  money making off these games are too good. Im not going to  naive and  say  activision is going put flowers in next  cod and gamers  will  thro rose peddle  on the other gamers  and increse  xp and k/d ratio..  That game will never sell as much how  they have it now ,gaming formula be dam'd is the current trend for sake of  violence. Becuase  today gamers crave  violence in games.  they have neglected every single genre almost from side scroller platformer to  sim like racing for sake of violence  in games.

I'll give you a  great example  ridge racer frachise is  a japanese  racing game. ,  burnout franchise racing   is a  usa. . Now they changed the ridge racer style to burnout type of style let the car  explode and crash and etc. becuase they felt the  gamers love these things. But  its the not  the  truth, becuase ridge racer loved the japannese style of cars no damage and just  arcadey like drifting, they was satisfied with that. I dont see any forum  member begging for car damage  in ridge racer. They shoved it down  the ridge racer  long time fans gamers throat for sake of  violence of the other games had  that made them  a seller.

They do this for every game  from  socom to ridge racer they call  it cinamatic action.. they strip  away the long time features for sake of violence  and to promote violence .. no skill to be had anymore.  Gamers today are not  screaming or lining up  for  "jesus the bible game". and theres  billions of christain  world wide.   No one want to hear about the  little mini game  in  jesus the  bible game.where jesus is tempeted by the devil not turn  stones to bread   hile he is fasting in the hills, bu hey ill quickly to tell you about deep space 2 mini game to  rip your eyes out your head and shove the toungue up the alien  buns.

I agree with alot of what youve said  but   I do think devs and publisher need  to wake up, becuase they  are oversaturating the market with violence. . You dont hear many kids in the stores  begging for  the psn  game  "flower" for  christmas, they  want cod the  bf3 and the  voilent games, becuase that how the gaming culture is right now. Violent.  Please note   *Im not innocnet  of these charges either  becuase im victim of circurmstances as well this genre of game buying , what choice  do  you have 80% of the market is violence*

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 4 of 173 (843 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25153 posts

Dec 22, 2012

The NRA is trying to divert attention away from itself. As usual, they along with other well meaning members of congress, are always looking for the latest boogeyman, whether it's communism or video games.

I will say this though; this country has and always had a very poor way of dealing with mental illness. The "treatments" ranged from denial to locking up inviduals and hoping the problem goes away. My mother used to tell me stories about her neighbors who had a daughter who suffered from mental illness, and they quite literally locked her in the house and she never say the light of day in public. The old stigmas of not wanting "crazy people" in the family are still prevelant, as we've seen in recent weeks. This nation needs a comprehensive policy regarding mental illness, and treatment of people who suffer from it. Saying "well there's nothing you can do", and then pretending there's no problem isn't acceptable anymore. We've seen what happens when we ignore the problem.

Message 5 of 173 (839 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11166 posts

Dec 22, 2012

mcbuttz78 wrote:

i agree  with  alot of what  youve said, this  is why i kudo'd it  but heres apart i disagree  with or  im trying to debate from on point of  view.

So he does have good point,  video game are to  blame  some what  ,its becuase   publisher/dev  money making off these games are too good. Im not going to  naive and  say  activision is going put flowers in next  cod and gamers  will  thro rose peddle  on the other gamers  and increse  xp and k/d ratio..  That game will never sell as much how  they have it now ,gaming formula be dam'd is the current trend for sake of  violence. Becuase  today gamers crave  violence in games.  they have neglected every single genre almost from side scroller platformer to  sim like racing for sake of violence  in games.

I agree with alot of what youve said  but   I do think devs and publisher need  to wake up, becuase they  are oversaturating the market with violence. . You dont hear many kids in the stores  begging for  the psn  game  "flower" for  christmas, they  want cod the  bf3 and the  voilent games, becuase that how the gaming culture is right now. Violent.  Please note   *Im not innocnet  of these charges either  becuase im victim of circurmstances as well this genre of game buying , what choice  do  you have 80% of the market is violence*

Gaming companies make games based off what their consumers want. In the US, gamers (and the general public) are fascinated by violence. We're taught from an early age to fight fire with fire. If someone pushes us, we're supposed to push back. Someone hits you, you're supposed to hit back.

In my opinion anything can be mis-used. Games can be a very good thing for people. Especially people like myself who suffer chronic pain. It helps me to focus past the pain. It helps me keep my mind from eating itself from boredom because I'm now on Worker's Compensation and I've applied for Social Security Disability.

But to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of just 1 thing, such as games, music or movies is rather silly in my opinion. I will not deny that some people are easily influenced by outside resources. But if the parents do their job of raising their children, it won't have that kind of an impact.

I remember when a teenager in my area killed 2 young children while role playing. He claimed the 2 children were Evil. He said the children were a race from DragonLance called Kender. That Kender are evil. (Anyone who's played D&D I'm sure knows what a crock that is.) But the media jumped on the Duneons & Dragons reference and went batcrazy with it. Some of the more prominent Christian Conservative Leaders used that to help push their anti- D&D agenda and tried to label all RPG gamers as evil. That D&D is a cult.

There is always more to  a story than most will ever know. Unless you've had to battle those demons yourself, it's hard to understand what goes on in a person's head. I just hate seeing people try to blame video games (or any other form of entertainment for that matter) as being the cause of the violence.

Mankind has been violent and hateful since the dawn of Man. Video games are only a recent entry in Mankind's journey.

Message 6 of 173 (818 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11166 posts

Dec 22, 2012

PlushyPillow wrote:

Well... you must understand that shooting games are very popular these days and well even kids are into them and there mommys and daddys are okay with them playing it so blame the parents I SAY IN MY OPINION "Stupid mother **bleep** dumb **bleep** replies with a smart **bleep** thing to say.."

But my oldest sister has a more stupider kid because when he was around 2 his dad let him play violent games like Gears of War he even likes to show the depictions of mutilation, i for one kept telling my sister that her child should not be viewing such material but she says "Pillow its just a game".. Realy? its a game intended to be played by 17 year olds and that kid is only 5 now.

But i also blame the dad because he is so stupid showing him all these things "LOOK BUDDY LETS PLAY COD MW3" what does he say? "**bleep** yeah COD were gona kick butt"... Yeah he cusses now and the dad is ok with that.

I cut out most of your response to keep this from becoming too large of a post. I know quite well that shooters are the dominant game genre in today's gaming culture. Despite that though they are just video games. If you know reality from fantasy you won't have that problem.

I have been in many conversations over the years here on the forums about video games and the violence in them. To me they aren't the problem. Many parents today are over worked. Most of the time kids don't have both parents in their lives. Or when there are 2 parents involved, both parents are working and don't have time to spend with their children. Video games are an interactive media format and it becomes a default tool for raising children. It's easier to sit there and relax when your children are in their rooms playing video games.

For the most part I agree that children should not be playing miltary games like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. In my opinion these miltary shooters do little more than glorify war. (Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion.) There are some kids that can handle those with little problem. Most are too immature to play them.

But that ties into the cultural mindset of the United States. Guns. Guns and More Guns. If the father is playing Call of Duty, is pro-gun, they're more likely to let their young children play those games because in their minds it's ok. It's a part of life. It is, but if you don't take the time to spend with your children teaching them that games are fantasy and to respect the value of life, then yes, they will go about thinking the only way to resolve the issue to to fight or to kill.

There are many factors that cause a person to become very violent and sociopathic. Gaming can influence that, but often there are much bigger problems than just 1 cause.

Message 7 of 173 (814 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

I got one link that proves it aint us thats responsible,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ScisGFllPY

How much should you give?  More More More, it aint us.  We aint no millionaire song.  When the tax man calls on the dogs, peoples stuff is sold out like a rummage sale.  I dont understand what that verse says but **bleep** good song.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 8 of 173 (812 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11166 posts

Dec 22, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The NRA is trying to divert attention away from itself. As usual, they along with other well meaning members of congress, are always looking for the latest boogeyman, whether it's communism or video games.

I will say this though; this country has and always had a very poor way of dealing with mental illness. The "treatments" ranged from denial to locking up inviduals and hoping the problem goes away. My mother used to tell me stories about her neighbors who had a daughter who suffered from mental illness, and they quite literally locked her in the house and she never say the light of day in public. The old stigmas of not wanting "crazy people" in the family are still prevelant, as we've seen in recent weeks. This nation needs a comprehensive policy regarding mental illness, and treatment of people who suffer from it. Saying "well there's nothing you can do", and then pretending there's no problem isn't acceptable anymore. We've seen what happens when we ignore the problem.

I spent 6 months in a psych ward when I was a child. My Mother thought I was too violent. Even though video games were a small part of my life at that point, that was never brought up in therapy as a source of the problem. I know first hand the failures of our Mental Health system (or rather, the lack of it.)

It's always easier to find a scapegoat to blame than it is to look at the root(s) of the problem.

Message 9 of 173 (811 Views)
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

Right my man i get ya my sisters had there kids in teenhood in my opinion there not wise enough to have children at all i even told my sister that she should had waited to have kids now she has 3 and my other has 2. At first they struggle with them and also relationship problems my sister has moved in with us at least twice with problems relating to there marrage and kids.. So i see it like this that the kids are raised so poorly that the parents dont even know the real differences with right or wrong like i said with my oldest sister she does not care about her 5 year old playing violent games BUT my mom did and she had me when she was like around her 30s.

My girlfriend and i are planing to get married she wants to have a baby and im ok with that but we still want to wait for a proper time to have a child im only 20 and she is 29 she is wise enough to understand paranting.

So thats the big problem i see with parents these days there hardly true adults there mostly in there 18 and 19ths

Now that i think of it my nephew really does lack the difference of fantasy and the real world we live in his dad says its importaint to have imagination and that imagination is more importaint then knowledge.. TRUE but in his case that little s*** needs knowledge he cant even tie his shoes or say door properly "DATS A DOW Pillow"

My sister even had his kid checked to see whats wrong with him he is not actiing normal she told my mom.. i said to her "ITs cause all he does is eat candy, play games and run like a phycopathic criminal around there house" REALY he is not even healthy and she cant even figure that out.. The number 1 dumbest parent EVER.

My brothers oldest kid is very uneducated hes 3 and cant even talk properly AT ALL he moans and there ok with it, My semi oldest sisters kid is 2 and is by far the most inteligent kid in her family his vocab is amazing for his age.

We need wiser parents most of em are not even educated really if they cant even read the Rating symbols then there practicly screwed and there raising bad children..

Message 10 of 173 (790 Views)