Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9795 posts

Re: NRA Blaming Video Games for the Violence.

Jan 11, 2013
Message 91 of 173 (140 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Jan 11, 2013

WOW, an here I thought I was loquacious at times.

Moble

Message 92 of 173 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Jan 11, 2013

All I want to do is play some Arkham Asylum, or any other game that takes me away from my reality for a while.

The difference between me and mal adjusted people, is I know when I am not playing the game, I am NOT Batman.  I am not any of the things the video games let me be.  I thought that was the point of the games.

Whether it be a Shooter, an Action Adventure, a Fighting, or even a Driving Game, I play for fun and entertainment.  

If they want to crack down on anyone, they should really look into LARPing.  Those are some interesting folks, I'd say.

When the difference between reality and fantasy is no longer discernible to someone, then they can most undoubtedly be considered mentally unstable.

If a Parent, Guardian or Mentor does not make this apparent, or sees it is impossible to make it apparent to an individual, then the games those individuals play should be monitored.

I am sick of people copping out with an excuse of, "well, it must have been those games they were playing."  Oh yeah, then where the F were you to notice something was wrong.

I was quite the obnoxious youth, myself.  I had a six inch Mohawk, and wore both Biker and Combat Boots, with a Leather Jacket painted up with band logos and references to lyrics.  My parents hounded me relentlessly to make sure I was OK, and within the realm of reality.  I am thankful for that, although I was not going to change.

For this reason, while I had no intention of obtaining any at the time, I would not have been allowed to purchase or own a gun while under the supervision of my parents.  They would not have allowed it.

I have a cousin who is mal adjusted and was institutionalized until he was eighteen.  This was by my Aunt and Uncles own decision.  You know what happened next?  When he turned eighteen, the State released him, because he was an adult.  They said they could no longer hold him, UNLESS he harmed himself or someone else.  WOW, that is an excellent strategy.

While to date, he has committed no heinous acts to speak of, I honestly do not know what he is capable.  I personally avoid him.  Meanwhile, my Aunt and Uncle try and keep him under wraps, and within supervision as much as they can.  Luckily, he cannot (unless the State is completely stupid) buy a firearm.  Who is to say he could not obtain one though?

As well, now that he is eighteen, he can buy whatever game he wants.  This being said, if he commits a heinous act, why would you blame the game, if the State already dropped the ball, and as a result "their" responsibility.

Let us look into Mental Health Care and Supervision, before we start blaming the video games!

Moble

Message 93 of 173 (134 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 12, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

The whole point is  your logical dophin under another names . Im not that naive not to know lol. I can   tell by  your writing structures.  Your a  petty cowards.   Also you have some kind personal issue  you  need work with a  doctor with. But on the topic  matter..  Like  i said before  dialouge is when two  people talk and agree on matter come to a conclusion to benifit the  facts or issues that be.  I agreed with alot of your point but at the same time, you havent with any  of mines    even when   I tried too, which make this  all mono louge.  which is a waste of time. If  you want to be  right . go ahead be right,  it just shows your a coward  who cant seek comprimise.Games are too  violent today..  Fact!! if  cant se  that they gettng more violent then do your self a favor  get some glasses..

Now who needs to visit the site more? I have argued with logical dolphin on other threads. I take it that he has also poked holes in your arguements.

Call me a coward, but lowering yourself is laughable, as you haven't said why I am. Is it because I told you that opinions aren't facts? Or is it because I called you out on not answering my points. You tell me that I have personal issues and need to see a doctor, but you didn't say what. If anything, you need help for being overly paranoid. Just because I find this fun, allow me to pull the definition of dialogue from wikipedia: Dialogue (sometimes spelled dialog in American English[1]) is a literary and theatrical form consisting of a written or spoken conversationalexchange between two or more ("dia" means through or across) people. Now where did you see the word agree in that definition? You have no idea what the words you use mean, which is the real waste of time. This isn't a matter of who is right or wrong about whether video games cause violence or not, this is a matter of me calling out your reasoning for your beliefs as factually wrong. Your argument failed to include that the average age for a Japanese gamer is half the age of an american gamer, which is late 20s to early thirtys. Of course the games are going to be different. I can seek compromise, you just don't know that compromises have already been made. The fact is this, you can turn the gore off in gears or COD if you want. It is in the options, but that isn't good enough for you, I suppose.

if you agree with the dev are 100% to destroys  a franchise for sake of violence& the  big wigs are more power to you, You can be a sheep gamer  i will not.. Stand  by yourself, go stand with them you have no rights as  a gamer nothing more but  a sheep gamer. I  have been in they miltiary aswell  , i dont  carewhat you beilive in but you never would  set  foot in boot camp to  even join, but yet  and still you want run your mouth on equal rights and etc. English is not my 1st language i learned my family is  native american, yet and still i joined the us military to earn  such right  we all call choices of freedom?..  i have a buisness degree aswell ,  you cant tell me jack about that   either becuase you dont have that . No  one knows what  you do.?  but and still you everyonelife story and what do in life??...   which is  point of go seek  some  help. you need  for these issues.Anyone  can run there mouth  and call it  conversation.. this not conversation it monolouage.. i will get involved in it, *btW cod was never a sony made game but socom was  so point still  stands it was king seller   shooter for sony*.

So I just buy whatever people tell me? That is what a sheep gamer is. No, I am someone who spends more time playing games than being on the boards complaining about them. I spend plenty of time talking to people who play battlefield, for example. I talk to the people who are actually playing the game, not the people who constantly whine about how everything isn't their way. I didn't say you had to care what I believed, but the fact is that I have quoted credible sources that say your definition is wrong. I would bet you a billion dollars that I couldn't walk in to an apple stockholders meeting and say, "I have an iPod. Where are my shares?" You could have walked away, but you chose to stay inside of your echo chamber. You seem to be able to tell me what I do, and tell me that I need help when I "supposedly" do the same. That, my friend, is a hypocrite. I cannot verify that you have or have not been in the military, it is an irrelevant point that you didn't seem to get about being able to say whatever you want. This is the internet, where you can say anything without a shred of proof. So how do we tell the truth from lies of internet users? Why, we use trusted sites to cross reference these comments, of course. Now, if I were to cross reference your definition of a stock holder with the technical definition of a stock holder, I would see that they conflict. How do I pick which to believe? The more credible one, of course. You have not given a single link or single website that have your statistics. BTW, I never said COD was a sony game, you said that I couldn't show you a game  that outsold it. I showed you 3. The language part is too easy for me to pick apart, I will continue to let your problems speak for themselves.

That all i have to say  and take all your self convictions you call facts and merits and shove them.!!!. if the devs and big wigs dont listen to you as a customer. Then  why are you here?  Why did  sony  make these forums?  Last time i checked it was for the fans like and dislike and to gather feed backs? No..  that cant be right becuase that would mean  they listen to the gamers/ Which you say they dont

How is it self conviction (another word you shouldn't be using, not anywhere near what you think it means) if I have numbers and sources to back it up? They gave us these forums to talk to each other as gamers, at least that is what the description for most of these boards used to say, "Sit down and talk about RPGs with other RPG fans". That was the last (paraphrasing) description I remembered. Feedback isn't their primary function. Or are you the sony CEO so you obviously know better? I never said that they don't listen to gamers, you need to learn that it is very rude to misquote so heavily, I said that the gamers on the forum goers aren't the only gamers out there. Not having english as a first language is no excuse for what your are doing.

I have no more statement to make on this matter  to  you,  becuase it petty monolouge, it should not be about  im right your wrong stance. it going to get  us no where in helping the facts or issues that be. So  come out  get the last like a woman does but  unlike a woman you dont get my respect.!! becuase  a woman  has common dency to find common ground  on the matter.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! You use woman as an insult to me and yet you say you respect them? AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! That one is going in the photo album. If you would do research, you would have found out that concessions were made before, and most people are just too lazy to do anything on their end.

@Murderstyle75: I understand that VGchartz has a spotty (and that is putting it kindly) past, but sources for older numbers, as well as new numbers, are scarce. I didn't think it would affect most of the old number (I.E. Socom, Kingdom Hearts, etc). It may be a problem to my current sales numbers, but the other sources I had weren't the kind of things that you can really post (Multiple rows of dance party at my local walmart, with 3 of them being purchased in the time I was in electronics). I wish there was a better place to use as a source.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 94 of 173 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9795 posts

Jan 12, 2013
I am not denying that Mario is not super popular. It is the longest running franchise of all video games. There is a problem with comparing it to other games though due to how all the sales charts are put together whether they are credible sites or not.

All massively successful Mario games are part of rather standard hardware bundles including the very first SMB on the NES. New Mario was part was part of a few bundles and is still sold bundled today. Every console that sells with a Mario game included means another copy of Mario sold. You can bet though it wouldnt be 26.5 million as a stand alone game. There is no way to really tell how many people would have bought the game had it not already been included. One thing I do know though is the last two COD games MW3 and BO2) both broke the Avatar opening sales record. These are the only games to ever do this. Now according to NPD, even MW2 beat out New Super Mario Wii in first month sales. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/12/november-2009-npd/

Also if you look deeper into those VG numbers and go into global weekly sales, just in the first four weeks alone, BO2 outsold New Mario's first four week sales by 3.2 million copies just on the Xbox 360 alone. The PS3 version beat it by 1.4 million.

What really made me notice the bundle thing was when Kinect Adventures was rated the best selling 360 game of all time. Meanwhile virtually every copy of the game came with the Kinect with no other kinect game coming even close. During the 2011 holiday, Microsoft also released a console bundle including Halo Reach and Fable 3. Reach came on a download card and Fable 3 came packed as a physical retail game. Vgchartz does not include data for digitally downloaded games. Fable 3 sales spiked for this bundle while Reach sales stood still because digital is not counted.
Message 95 of 173 (116 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Ok guys I think the discussion between you both (Dark_arc and mcbuttz78) has gone past discourse. When we resort to calling each other cowards, gaming sheep and questioning each other's manhood (such as bringing up military service or lack of, etc.) I think it's best for you guys to simply walk away from each other in this conversation.

It's been interesting to read most of the conversation between you two, but due to the tone it's taken, I've stayed out of y'all's conversation. But I think you both should walk away from each other so that we can keep this civil.

Thank you both for your thoughts :smileyhappy: It's been interesting.

Message 96 of 173 (106 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Jan 12, 2013

i just hope they release GTAV before they do away with all the good games..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 97 of 173 (98 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
I am not denying that Mario is not super popular. It is the longest running franchise of all video games. There is a problem with comparing it to other games though due to how all the sales charts are put together whether they are credible sites or not.

All massively successful Mario games are part of rather standard hardware bundles including the very first SMB on the NES. New Mario was part was part of a few bundles and is still sold bundled today. Every console that sells with a Mario game included means another copy of Mario sold. You can bet though it wouldnt be 26.5 million as a stand alone game. There is no way to really tell how many people would have bought the game had it not already been included. One thing I do know though is the last two COD games MW3 and BO2) both broke the Avatar opening sales record. These are the only games to ever do this. Now according to NPD, even MW2 beat out New Super Mario Wii in first month sales. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/12/november-2009-npd/

Also if you look deeper into those VG numbers and go into global weekly sales, just in the first four weeks alone, BO2 outsold New Mario's first four week sales by 3.2 million copies just on the Xbox 360 alone. The PS3 version beat it by 1.4 million.

What really made me notice the bundle thing was when Kinect Adventures was rated the best selling 360 game of all time. Meanwhile virtually every copy of the game came with the Kinect with no other kinect game coming even close. During the 2011 holiday, Microsoft also released a console bundle including Halo Reach and Fable 3. Reach came on a download card and Fable 3 came packed as a physical retail game. Vgchartz does not include data for digitally downloaded games. Fable 3 sales spiked for this bundle while Reach sales stood still because digital is not counted.

I didn't mean to imply that my argument was flawless, I apologize for doing so. I was merely trying to say that nonviolent games have a pretty strong existence.

@papa: Sorry for the derailment. I suppose my 2 cents has already been said, I feel like the wall of text might get in the way. I will try to state it in better terms, I hate to say I kind of agree with Dr Phil, but he was right in saying games aren't the problem. (Chills run up spine), Saying Dr Phil was right, such a strange feeling.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 98 of 173 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
542 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 12, 2013

im not saying video games are the problem to why people commit these crimes and murder.   But i will say why is it that games like this one here even see the light of day.  http://www.666gamer.com/play-173-Kindergarten-Killer.html    I have been a gamer for over 25 years and when a game like this is made it hurts the industry.   If you cannot admit that a game like that can be accessed by anyone without restriction is not hurting society or harming mentally ill children and adults  then you really should take a step back and look at things differently.   People who already have issues present are very easily influenced by games like this one above.  Weather its ten years old or not is not the point.  The point that this game was even developed is a disgrace on the gaming community.    

Also take a look around that website and you will find countless games that should have never been made.    Gamers want to think of games as a form of art  but no artist pants a bunch of children getting murdered by crazed idiots. 

Message 99 of 173 (91 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Jan 13, 2013

Dark_arc wrote:

@papa: Sorry for the derailment. I suppose my 2 cents has already been said, I feel like the wall of text might get in the way. I will try to state it in better terms, I hate to say I kind of agree with Dr Phil, but he was right in saying games aren't the problem. (Chills run up spine), Saying Dr Phil was right, such a strange feeling.

It wasn't the derailment per se I had a problem with, just the insults that were arising. :smileyvery-happy: I don't want you guys to get in trouble if things get too terribly heated.

This is actually the first thread I've ever created that generated this much conversation. Usually people read my wall of text and move on.

As far as Dr. Phil goes, I never watch him. I don't know anything he's had to say on this topic. But as a life long gamer (30 years of gaming and I'm only 38) I have lived through a lot of hate directed at video games and video gamers. I've seen the things people try using video games as scape goats for. I will not deny that any thing has the potential to negatively impact someone's life. But regardless of the scapegoat (games, movies, music, religion, etc) there is always a deeper, under lying cause for what drives people. It is never as simple as anyone wants to make it out to be.

When I see the video game industry and video gamers under fire for crap like this, I tend to get riled up.

Message 100 of 173 (82 Views)