Dec 01 2006
By: Nastay~ Monster Hunter 35 posts

Need serious help with my wireless connection

5 replies 17 views Edited Dec 1, 2006
    I've owned a PS3 for 3 days now and the download speeds from the Playstation Store are unbelievably slow.  It took me 3-4 hours to download the mortorstorm demo and it takes a good 20 minutes to download a

Here's my setup:

A local regional cable company internet service that gives 2MB down/512k up.
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1 router using the very latest firmware
WPA-PSK security

I have a laptop and another gaming console (which I won't name so this thread doesn't get locked), all of these are on my wireless network.

I have no problems at all with download speeds on any of my other devices.

I'm getting between 70-75% signal strength on my PS3.

I tried the help thread that I found and it said to open up DMZ and port forwarding.  I've opened the ports, and set the DMZ, but one thing I've noticed is that I need to put an IP address in those fields such as 192.160.1.101 or something like that.  I originally set the DMZ and port forwarding on those IP addresses, but the next time I turned my PS3 on its IP address had changed to 192.168.1.104.  Is there any way to permanently set the IP address of my PS3 so that I can set the DMZ and port forwarding to that address and not worry about it changing?  I don't really even know if this is the problem or not.  Like I said, I never had to do this for any of my other devices and I don't have any problems with them.

I decided to try running a wire about 75 feet and down 2 flights of stairs in my house from my wireless router to the PS3.

The download speeds DRAMATICALLY increased using the wired connection.

This means that there are only 2 options as to what could be wrong.

1.  I've got a faulty or bad Wi-Fi card in my PS3.

2.  I don't have something configured correctly but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it could be since all of my other devices on my network are working fine.

I'm pulling my hair out over this thing and I'm about to call Sony.
Message 1 of 6 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2414 posts

Re: Need serious help with my wireless connection

Dec 1, 2006
Yes, you can set the PS3's IP address to a permanent IP- just edit the settings and when you get to the IP address select custom instead of auto. Once you have things done there set up the router to give that IP to the PS3 every time it tries to go online.
Message 2 of 6 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4063 posts

Dec 1, 2006
Well i have mine setup to use WEP 128. Maybe try that.
Message 3 of 6 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
248 posts

Dec 1, 2006
Just so you know there is always a dramatic speed difference between wireless & wired, even with things set up perfectly. It's one of the unfortunate issues with a wireless connection. I find it is fine for gaming (when you aren't getting network connection errors with disconnections) but less good for downloading. I also own another console using wireless but it gives me far less trouble so far.
Message 4 of 6 (17 Views)
0 Likes
tns
Sackboy
478 posts

Dec 1, 2006

HyDeN wrote:
Just so you know there is always a dramatic speed difference between wireless & wired, even with things set up perfectly. It's one of the unfortunate issues with a wireless connection. I find it is fine for gaming (when you aren't getting network connection errors with disconnections) but less good for downloading. I also own another console using wireless but it gives me far less trouble so far.

True and not true.

If a good wireless g connection is made you get between 11-54 mbps.  So the next thing is what is your internet connection speed.  Mine, DSL, claims 1.5 mbps.  So there is little likelihood that my wireless connection will effect the performance.  Similarly for most cable connections. 
Message 5 of 6 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Dec 2, 2006
I tried changing my security from WPA to WEP and it has not made a bit of difference in speed.

I also gave my PS3 a static IP address and assigned the DMZ and opened the ports to it.

Nothing has helped and its really got me thinking that the wifi card is faulty. 
Message 6 of 6 (17 Views)
0 Likes