Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 21 2012
By: NO_FEAR PlayStation MVP 7855 posts

Network Sub-account to Master account

17 replies 11767 views Edited Jul 21, 2012

So here is the thing.  My kids are all grown up and working young adults with their own systems and gaming interests.  Yesterday my daughter got a PSN card and went on her system to redeem it and was not able to.  After contacting Sony CS she was told she is still listed as a sub account under my master account and she had no spending limit.  I thought this was taken care of 2 years ago when she get her own system and activated it under her account.

Today I am told there is no way to transfer a sub account to a master account and the only way for her to keep all that she has paid for and all her game progress is for me to enter her PSN card and set her spending limit to unlimited.  Let me say this is not the ideal situation for a young adult who wants her independence and privacy.  She doesn't want to come see daddy every time she wants to redeem a code.  This also IMO is a violation of her rights as an adult account holder. 

Her only other choice is to create a new master account and lose years of gaming content at a substantial personal cost of both time and money.  This is an unacceptable price to pay for Sony's poor account handling system and it needs to change.

It is completely expected that parents wish to implore restrictions on their children accounts and it is also a fact that children will grow to adults and gain independence from their parents...that is what is expected for a console designed for a 10 year cycle.

Please correct this networking issue so people may retain their content during normal life changing events.

Message 1 of 18 (11,767 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: Network Sub-account to Master account

Jul 22, 2012

so true. im having  the same problem today to except my billing option in account management is missing. i wanted to buy something from the psn store until sony told me about the sub vs the master account.  my friend gave me his account but the problem is hes under age and im  over age (21) and when i try to make a purchace online it gave me an error regarding master account. its crazy and i definetly blame sony for this poor account handling, they themselve cannot even solve for us. i would have to create a whole new account which as you said is a waste of time and money. i hope  your problem gets fix soon

Message 2 of 18 (11,759 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30384 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 22, 2012

Although I agree, at least to a extent that a sub-account should be able to be changed to a Master-Account, I'm somewhat surprised that someone with your experience around these Forums was not already aware of this & as such hadn't already prepared your children for this eventuality.

Also asking Sony for this to change will get you no-where, Sony employees, something I also thought you'd be aware of do not read nor respond to questions or comments posted on these Forums.

The PS Blogshare website is where this suggestion needs to be raised, although I have a feeling that's already been done!

Like I said at the start of my response, I have some sympathy & it may not be something you like but again this has been known about for some years now, again I'm sorry but I am surprised this is "news to you".

Message 3 of 18 (11,744 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1231 posts

Jul 30, 2012
Yes it needs to change. kudos to you my good man.

What is a man? (Just look above)... "The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".
Message 4 of 18 (11,701 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 4, 2012

I would like to see this change implemented although I am not a parent, it would be a nice feature to have anyways and should have been thought through when they made the whole Master/Sub account system work like it does. It would have been the most suitable and logical thing to do when coming up with how it should work (in its development stafe.)

Raptr Gamercard
Message 5 of 18 (11,680 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Aug 5, 2012

If she makes a new user with a master account, she can keep the sub-account on her console and use it for the purchased DLC and games. She won't have the Game progress available on that account but she can use the games. Or she can just use a new Master account as the account she uses to make purchases and keep playing with the sub account.

Just about anything purchased on one user can be used by all the users on the Playstation. Kind of a work around, a bit of a hassle but nothing else can be done for the time being.

Message 6 of 18 (11,668 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7855 posts

Aug 27, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

Although I agree, at least to a extent that a sub-account should be able to be changed to a Master-Account, I'm somewhat surprised that someone with your experience around these Forums was not already aware of this & as such hadn't already prepared your children for this eventuality.

Also asking Sony for this to change will get you no-where, Sony employees, something I also thought you'd be aware of do not read nor respond to questions or comments posted on these Forums.

The PS Blogshare website is where this suggestion needs to be raised, although I have a feeling that's already been done!

Like I said at the start of my response, I have some sympathy & it may not be something you like but again this has been known about for some years now, again I'm sorry but I am surprised this is "news to you".

I am informed and have worked with CS many times in the past.  When my kid got her PS3 and could not log into home because of age restrictions (even though she was over 18 by then) I contacted CS and they fixed that.  They thought they could fix the account settings issue but eventually I found out they could not.  Things have changed since the hack from last April and some of these changes affect the accounts.  It's not just "news to me" it's news to everyone that I'm sharing.

There is no preperation for an emerging adult to lose hundreds of hours of gaming and purchased content.  There is only losing it or stay as a sub-account and forego independance.  Something Sony clearly did not build into their system. 

I'm also very farmiliar with the Blogshare and Sony uses it to premote things they are willing to do and ignore those they chose not to even if supported by the community.  The Blogshare does not enable the community, it's part of Sony PR to premote things set for implementation,  I know the people who manage it. 

If you want to enable change you need to communicate to the write people, putting it on record here is mearly a formality as part of the process.

Message 7 of 18 (11,611 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Dec 12, 2012

Message 8 of 18 (10,909 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 12, 2012
I have the answer and it is ( as always) the o' so simple and missed thing. Money! Not in the sense of " o' ya we just got them again thing".
More like protection for the facts. I mean if you could make subs into masters. Then why not make one master, buy all the stuff you want, share it with "x" subs. And then make them into masters. So all the stuff is now your "x" friend/kids for "free". Think about what i said. Subs r kid accounts. But making them masters means you could milk them for "x" psn ID's to get free copies of games. And then Sony would lose on it. It would be the same as if every one could sign in with the same ID at the same time. So one ID, one time buy on everything and everyone now owns it all at that cost one time cost from that one guy.

In order for sony to even make what your asking for work. They would have needed to give a sub account purchase history. Where only the sub owns the DLC that is bought with it. And all the psn ID player history. And that the main and subs would never share or own each others info/ buys.
But after all that it would be no different then
just making master accounts in the first place.

In the end sony f-ed in the first place. the fact that they should have just made ps3 like dvd players and tv with a password blocker/ cash limiter that could be put on any user on the ps3 signed into psn. With a master account from which one person could control.

But then you have a whole new problem come from that too somewhere. :/

But the point is ya, someone didnt think hard enough at sony.
Message 9 of 18 (10,907 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49220 posts

Dec 12, 2012

Sounds reasonable to me.   If the main account holder wants to they should be able to release a sub account instantly making it its own Main account.

Doesn't sound very hard to impliment with a small firmware patch.

Message 10 of 18 (10,898 Views)