Jun 14 2013
By: TOMBSTONE4U Ghost of Sparta 14193 posts

(New game from makers of Socom) Attention Sony and/or mods, your support is needed.

[ Edited ]
159 replies 1807 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

I am writing to request Sony's support for a project. Currently there seems to be no plans for a Socom game on PS 4 and as a result many in the Socom community have vowed not to buy a PS 4 as a direct result of this. Sony's assertion that Socom can't sell today is based off their own bad decisions with changes the fans hated. Socom can sell, just not with the changes Sony wants to shove down Socomers throats.

Now there is a solution to this, there is a way Sony can instill some faith in the Socom community that they actually care about the fanbase they royally screwed over with the PS 3 iterations. Currently there is an indie dev trying to make a game in the spirit of the early Socom games, the kind of game the Socom fans have begged Sony for  which Sony had adamantly refused to even consider for many years now. The project is being headed up by none other then David Sears who made the two most successful Socom games in the franchise's history. Sears is the one guy willing to make the kind of tactical shooter that can actually sell with the fun and addictive pacing of the earlier Socom games.

It won't be exactly like Socom obviously cause it is a different franchise called H-Hour. He has a kickstarter going which is getting mostly small donors cause it's mainly individual gamers supporting it, plus with E3 attention from the industry seems to be focused elsewhere. Sony can do a few important things by giving a decent sized pledge to this kickstarter project as follows:

1) They can prove they are not just talk when they promote the idea that they will be supporting indie devs with the PS 4 generation.

2) It would be a great gesture to the man who provided much of the research and vision that put Sony online gaming on the map with Socom 1 and 2 on the PS 2, essentially creating Sony's flagship franchise at the time.

3) David would like to make a multi-platform game with H-Hour, starting with PCs and moving it to consoles as success and sales allows. Now, a nice size pledge from Sony could be a convincing factor to make H-Hour a PSN exclusive when it comes time to move this project to consoles (plus Playstation is the home of Socom where his biggest target audience is). Knowing David's history of being able to make addicting Socom games that held large nightly communities, at the very least you would have to feel confident he could be the guy who makes one of those surprise PSN download gems that gets a lot of downloads, turn out a product worthy of putting PSN download games on the map this coming generation that XBOX One wouldn't have.

I think Sony should seriously consider contributing a good chunk to this kickstarter and helping it come to the PSN eventually. It would be a cheaper way to entice Socom fans then having a fully funded Socom project which Sony has had bad luck with in recent years due to their bad design decisions.  More and more Socom fans are finding out about this project each day and are showing great interest in it's potential and have a great respect for David Sears as well as confidence in what he could do with the right funding. As a Socom fan who feels you've completely ignored your Socom fanbase, your support for H-Hour could be the start of winning back the faith of Socom fans who want a real tactical shooter option.

So are you with your consumers or against us Sony? Moderaters, I ask for your help in forwarding this request to people within Sony that are actually in a position to do something with it. I also ask not just Sony the company but Sony people in general to help support this kickstarter and old friend David Sears who even after leaving Sony has had nothing but nice things to say over the years about the company and his time with them.

http://sofstudios.com/index.php?/page/index.html

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1687497632/h-hour-worlds-elite-0

Edit: updated topic title to reflect content

U--J

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 1 of 160 (1,807 Views)
Sackboy
478 posts

Re: Attention Sony and/or mods, yout support is needed.

[ Edited ]
Jun 14, 2013

I fully back this guy. All 465 posts I have on this account, were due to Socom 4. You failed us, now please repay us with the intent in making amends and showing remorse for the loss of such a great game that we all loved. Halo fans never lost their games core values.

Message 2 of 160 (1,780 Views)
Splicer
42 posts

Jun 14, 2013

Hear hear!

Everything after SOCOM II was a step into The Twilight Zone.
Message 3 of 160 (1,762 Views)
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jun 14, 2013

I agree with tombstone, lets go sony

Message 4 of 160 (1,759 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4927 posts

Jun 14, 2013

OMG Tomb IM bashing Sony for charging to be online...lol and not backwards compatible. But a new classic socom,,

ALL I can say is if this happens I might have to change my mind...

Message 5 of 160 (1,752 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Jun 14, 2013

Oh yeah Uh Oh for sure. If they think I'm paying for online play on PS 4 (or even just a PS 4 for that matter) there had better be a Socom option or at least a spiritual successor like H-Hour to get me to even consider a PS 4 and PS plus membership. With the style of gameplay that can keep me hooked for it's entire life cycle like Socom 1 and 2 did, now that I'd be willing to pay for online play. COD or BF type games thatt get redundant after a month won't be worth paying for.

Message 6 of 160 (1,746 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4927 posts

Jun 14, 2013

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

Oh yeah Uh Oh for sure. If they think I'm paying for online play on PS 4 (or even just a PS 4 for that matter) there had better be a Socom option or at least a spiritual successor like H-Hour to get me to even consider a PS 4 and PS plus membership. With the style of gameplay that can keep me hooked for it's entire life cycle like Socom 1 and 2 did, now that I'd be willing to pay for online play. COD or BF type games thatt get redundant after a month won't be worth paying for.

Agreed Tomb, by the way LTNS brother... Seems we are always fighting an uphill battle with someone.. LMAO

Message 7 of 160 (1,738 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jun 14, 2013

Why make a new socom? I respect you like the series, but there are MANY games out there just like this series, but better. 

What would be nice, is if they gave support to their long abandoned franchises, like Ape Escape. 

Looking on ape escape fanforums online, many people have been asking for an ape escape 4 since 2005.

Message 8 of 160 (1,730 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Jun 14, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:

Why make a new socom? I respect you like the series, but there are MANY games out there just like this series, but better. 

What would be nice, is if they gave support to their long abandoned franchises, like Ape Escape. 

Looking on ape escape fanforums online, many people have been asking for an ape escape 4 since 2005.

Many games just like this series? It's clear someone never played the original PS 2 Socoms lol. If you were talking about the crap mainstreamed Socoms on the PS 3 , many of us don't even consider those Socom games. Entirely different animals with massive indentity crisises. We want one like the originals, and there is not a single game anywhere near being like those kind of games. Socom was more then just another crappy hollywood shooter. Only games I ever played that made me want to put them in every day for their entire year to two year life cycles, falling asleep after 10 hours of gaming with the headset still on and controller in my hand. Don't be foolish and try to even compare any of these redundant cookie cutter shooters out today to the true Socoms.

Message 9 of 160 (1,717 Views)
Sackboy
478 posts

Jun 14, 2013

Well, I considered them Socom game's, just bad, to really bad ones.

Message 10 of 160 (1,708 Views)