Ghost of Sparta
13184 posts

Re: [OFFICIAL E3] PlayStation Plus Announcement Discussion.

Jun 12, 2013

http://www.psu.com/a019831/Some-PS4-MMOs-wont-require-PS-Plus-for-online-play

At Sony's E3 conference, it was mentioned that PlayStation Plus will be required for online multiplayer, but it looks like not all games have to follow that rule.

In an interview with Game Watch, President of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida talks about the major benefits of PlayStation Plus on the PS4. Yoshida said, "I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub."

Yoshida-san continues to talk about how not all online functions of the PS4 require PS Plus. "While direct competition in real time won’t be possible [without PS Plus] for instance in the case of DriveClub, asynchronous online gameplay and receiving data from other players will still be free of charge.", Yoshida-san mentions.

One thing that did stand out was that he gave a fantastic reply when asked about PS Plus requirements for games like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn & Elder Scrolls Online, to which he said that "You will need it to enjoy online multiplayer. This will also depend on the judgement by the publishers, and there will be some free to play titles that you’ll be able to play without needing a PS Plus subscription, like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online."

It is very refreshing to see Sony not forcing it for some MMO's when it's already problematic paying subscription fee's just to play the games themselves.

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 351 of 934 (1,086 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 12, 2013
Well PS Plus is pretty cheap i must say. I mean even how long will it take you to earn $50 anyways? and if you're a student or not yet working, if you really love to play multiplayer, how hard is it to save $50? you have 365 days to do that. even if you save a quarter a day you'd still be able to reach $50 in 200 days. I commend Sony for not bumping the price up for PS Plus subscription especially if we will get a better online service and cross game chat since both of them will definitely need a server which is pretty expensive to maintain. So yeah, PS Plus subscription is not really a bad deal, as compared to the silly $15/month XBL edition.
Message 352 of 934 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5233 posts

Jun 13, 2013

LouisR3 wrote:
Well PS Plus is pretty cheap i must say. I mean even how long will it take you to earn $50 anyways? and if you're a student or not yet working, if you really love to play multiplayer, how hard is it to save $50? you have 365 days to do that. even if you save a quarter a day you'd still be able to reach $50 in 200 days. I commend Sony for not bumping the price up for PS Plus subscription especially if we will get a better online service and cross game chat since both of them will definitely need a server which is pretty expensive to maintain. So yeah, PS Plus subscription is not really a bad deal, as compared to the silly $15/month XBL edition.

It's not about the price, it's the principle. Alot of people don't want to be charged for online multiplayer. Even though I disagree with them, I understand their point.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 353 of 934 (1,062 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3207 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I honestly don't care for those, so called, "free games" because when your subscription is up, you can no longer play those games any more. So, you technically have a year long rental until you pay again. That feature is useless for me cause I like my hard copies of my games. The only thing I do like is the cloud saves and discounts. But I already back up my saves on a flash drive, and if I get PS4 I'll just do the same thing. And I don't buy too many things from the psn, and the things I do buy don't have the ps+ discount on them. I keep seeing things that don't really matter to me, but the accessing online part for ps+. And if everyone is a ps+ user getting into those special beta's ain't going to be special any more, cause everyone will get it. I'm really annoyed that they took that option, of free online, away from me. Yes, the "value" of plus is better than xbox live but I all I want to do is play online and I don't want to pay 50 bucks to do it.  

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: akirasolidentertainment
Message 354 of 934 (1,060 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I am completely fine with paying to play online, and frankly don't care if others are not OK with having to pay. IMO, no one that I know personally cannot find $5 a month somewhere in their finances or opportunites available to them. Mow my lawn once a month, and I'll give you $10. That will cover 2 months of PS+ at a time, LOL.

I wonder how many people are posting their complaints form a Cellphone/ Smartphone , that they pay an astrnomical( to me) fee monthly to chat uselessly with their friends/ family, or text every few minutes on.

I have a TracFone, very few bells/ whistles, and it costs me about $10-$12 amonth to use. Most of the kids at my work that I have talked to about cellphones, spend between $55 and $100 PER MONTH on their phone. To me, that is a useless waste of resources.

My point with this Wall O' Text:

Life has always been about choices and priorities. Very few can afford everything that they desire in life. I guess that everyone who loves gaming, had better make good and wise financial choices, and the $5 a month will be very insignificant ( IMO).

Everyone Is ENTITLED  To My Opinion.

Please Deduct $0.02 USD from my account..............Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 355 of 934 (1,045 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Paying for Multiplayer - PS4

Jun 13, 2013

Ahh, seems to me that PS4 is a pay-to-play online system, just like it's competitor, Xbox. But, many, if not all, don't like the idea of being forced to pay for PS+ subscription just to play multiplayer when everyone already pay for the internet providers.

I found a website that has been trying to get Sony to listen to everyone about this new change because on the website it says the PlayStation has great success just for free online multiplayer. And I completely agree!

Sony has stated that the PS3 and PS VITA multiplayer / online will remain free, which doesn't make sense. If the PS4 is pay-to-play, then that would make most people stick to PS3 and that won't gain sales.

Sure it's 5 extra dollars for multiplayer, but Sony did promise to stay free forever! And we don't want to let this happen Smiley Sad

CLICK HERE and sign the petition! Smiley Very Happy

(I am not the owner of this website, so please don't bash me for making the site.)

Message 356 of 934 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Re: Paying for Multiplayer - PS4

Jun 13, 2013
Waste of time....ps plus was setup for the whole reason of pay to play online...but go ahead and try lol
Message 357 of 934 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37254 posts

Jun 13, 2013

i am kinda in the middle on this one.

cause its not really paying JUST to play online. there is free games and stuff that comes with ps+

Message 358 of 934 (1,945 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13615 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I'm pretty sure advertising petitions is against forum rules anyway

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 359 of 934 (1,899 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I don't mind paying $50 bucks a YEAR to get a better service from Sony, plus free games. If you can afford to buy multiple games a year you can afford to pay for ps+. Support Sony and get the most out of your gaming experience.

Years ago i threw alot more than 50 bucks a year away in quarters at the arcades ! 

Sony dropped the mic on Microsoft at there press conference on monday ! Can't wait for the PS4 and the new generation of console gaming !!

Message 360 of 934 (1,548 Views)