Jun 06 2012
By: Afreelunch Monster Hunter 30 posts

Oily/Greasy joysticks on unused Dual Shock?

11 replies 4458 views Edited Jun 6, 2012

I have four Dual Shock 3 controllers for my PS3. The two older ones (more than 2 years old) which are rarely used, regularly develop a shiny grease or oil on the joystick pads. The oldest controller began doing this first, and the second oldest just recently started in the last couple weeks.

This is NOT from unwashed hands. When I clean the sticks off, the oil returns within a week or so without anyone ever touching them.

Does anybody know what causes this? Is the rubber on the sticks breaking down?

---
"No such thing..."
Message 1 of 12 (4,458 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Oily/Greasy joysticks on unused Dual Shock?

Jun 6, 2012

Is there an oil film on anything else in the vicinity?

Message 2 of 12 (4,458 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2012

This is not from any source other than the controller itself. The substance is being produced by the joysticks, or something inside of them. Is there ANYBODY who can tell me why this happens?

---
"No such thing..."
Message 3 of 12 (4,455 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jul 9, 2012
I'm not sure why this happens, but I only have one controller and have the same issue. I clean it with q-tip or cotton ball, but it is frustrating that it does this. Does the joystick tend to become sticky and lock up as well?
Message 4 of 12 (4,445 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2012

I believe this is a common problem, it happened to me but mine was a PS2 controller, I'm guessing they use the same rubber for both generations, I never knew the reason tough =/

Message 5 of 12 (4,444 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Jul 9, 2012

I have three DS3's one is almost 3 years old and I have never noticed this. The analog sticks do become oily, but I always assume its from the last time I used it. I even have 2 broken SIXAXIS cotrollers sitting around and their analog sticks are perfectly dry. That is really weird. I would defiantly be interested to find out what is causig this for the people who are experiencing it.

bren92 Trophy Card
Message 6 of 12 (4,439 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20485 posts

Jul 9, 2012
My joysticks actually become oily from charging overnight while they are not in use. I have no idea why this happens, since it happens when it's not in use.

Odd. Smiley Indifferent
Message 7 of 12 (4,432 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29418 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2012

Afreelunch wrote:

I have four Dual Shock 3 controllers for my PS3. The two older ones (more than 2 years old) which are rarely used, regularly develop a shiny grease or oil on the joystick pads. The oldest controller began doing this first, and the second oldest just recently started in the last couple weeks.

This is NOT from unwashed hands. When I clean the sticks off, the oil returns within a week or so without anyone ever touching them.

Does anybody know what causes this? Is the rubber on the sticks breaking down?

Humidity. Atmospheric moisture from heating and air conditioning. Ambient room tempurature. Somebody cooking something greasy. Even eating something like french fries in the vacinity. Second hand smoke. There's any number of reasons. Try putting one or two of them in a draw for a week, or store them in another room, and see what happens. If there's no grease on them after a week or two then there's something in the room that's causing it. 

Message 8 of 12 (4,428 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3228 posts

Jul 9, 2012

Everybody has this problem from time to time I really would worry about it to much thou.HOMER.jpg

Message 9 of 12 (4,423 Views)
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Jul 10, 2012
Probably from smoking pot,
Message 10 of 12 (4,416 Views)
0 Likes