Highlighted
Jan 23 2014
By: Grindhead_Jim Treasure Hunter 5477 posts

Old IPs & Franchise versus new ones (PS1/2/3 games vs. PS4)

6 replies 439 views Edited Jan 23, 2014

There are a lot of great franchises, both first and third party, on the previous generations of consoles.

I am certainly one of those that really get stoked when an old idea or story gets retold in a new and exciting way (Bionic Commando: Re-Armed being a great example, and the Bionic Commando reboot being a horrible example).

I also love new, fresh stories and ideas:

• Watch_Dogs, for example, seems to be the culmination of everything we've learned so far about open words, action, and stealth, with a twist all its own
  • Destiny also takes some elements of old and infuses it with a forward thinking approach to interaction with story to create something new

Lately, there's also been a push to snag older stories, and give them the treatment ehcih, before, we were only privvy to in our imaginations:

• Thief was originally a PC game in 1998, and one that inspired all the current stealth games that many of you think it is ripping off.
  • Tomb Raider got its second or third reboot last year (and a next-gen facelift), and finally got the spirit of the original right.
  • Star Wars: Battlefront is set for a full-on (and sorely overdue) reboot in the relatively-near future

Here's the question: How much creativity is being stifled in the name of nostalgia? Using Star Wars as the example, I desperately want a new battlefront, but, I also acknowlege that The Force Unleashed was a bold, impressive move in a new direction for Star Wars games. The FTP X-Wing flyer coming out smacks of the PC X-Wing game from the 90's, in a good way. Still, I can't help but worry that, as a community, we tend to cling to the familiar all too often, despite there being many new ideas being thrown on the market (Mirror's Edge, for example, was an amazing concept, and one that I cannot be more happy is getting a second, next-gen chance - but one that nearly fell under the radar).

We, as gamers have to show that we are willing to take chances on new ideas, if we want developers, and, more importantly, publishers, to enable us to do so.

So, buy the new IPs. Just buy them. Buy all of them, so that they can see that the trend isn't a type of game, but just new games.

I'm not saying that reboots and sequels can't be done right, but they cannot be the bulk of our consumption. That time needs to die. I don't want a Battlefield, Batman: Arkham, or TLOU every year. Once every two years, at most, is plenty.

All hail the new flesh.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 1 of 7 (439 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1080 posts

Re: Old IPs & Franchise versus new ones (PS1/2/3 games vs. PS4)

Jan 24, 2014

Yeah I agree with you Grind

New franchises are very prommising this days.
It was prommising with The Last of Us last year. I heard everyone wanting and asking for the game on PC and other consoles
And nothing was new if you think of infected humans who most people called zombies, or defined the game as survival.
Then when you play those games you realize that it's more about infected people, a man who owns a cellphone and just hacks everything.
Those games are created to give more than that for sure.

So I agree all this new IPs and even remakes, that we know that will be better than previous games like Tomb Raider was, or the new Thief looking really good, are all games to at least check before not buy and hopefully get great impressions

Message 2 of 7 (413 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6943 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

There are a lot of great franchises, both first and third party, on the previous generations of consoles.

I am certainly one of those that really get stoked when an old idea or story gets retold in a new and exciting way (Bionic Commando: Re-Armed being a great example, and the Bionic Commando reboot being a horrible example).

• Watch_Dogs, for example, seems to be the culmination of everything we've learned so far about open words, action, and stealth, with a twist all its own
  • Destiny also takes some elements of old and infuses it with a forward thinking approach to interaction with story to create something new

Lately, there's also been a push to snag older stories, and give them the treatment ehcih, before, we were only privvy to in our imaginations:

• Thief was originally a PC game in 1998, and one that inspired all the current stealth games that many of you think it is ripping off.
  • Tomb Raider got its second or third reboot last year (and a next-gen facelift), and finally got the spirit of the original right.
  • Star Wars: Battlefront is set for a full-on (and sorely overdue) reboot in the relatively-near future

Here's the question: How much creativity is being stifled in the name of nostalgia? Using Star Wars as the example, I desperately want a new battlefront, but, I also acknowlege that The Force Unleashed was a bold, impressive move in a new direction for Star Wars games. The FTP X-Wing flyer coming out smacks of the PC X-Wing game from the 90's, in a good way. Still, I can't help but worry that, as a community, we tend to cling to the familiar all too often, despite there being many new ideas being thrown on the market (Mirror's Edge, for example, was an amazing concept, and one that I cannot be more happy is getting a second, next-gen chance - but one that nearly fell under the radar).

We, as gamers have to show that we are willing to take chances on new ideas, if we want developers, and, more importantly, publishers, to enable us to do so.

So, buy the new IPs. Just buy them. Buy all of them, so that they can see that the trend isn't a type of game, but just new games.

I'm not saying that reboots and sequels can't be done right, but they cannot be the bulk of our consumption. That time needs to die. I don't want a Battlefield, Batman: Arkham, or TLOU every year. Once every two years, at most, is plenty.

All hail the new flesh.

indie games are  new ip's,.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 3 of 7 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

All hail the new flesh.

Depends on the game really. I don't want a new COD or Battlefield every year.

As far as Sony games go. I only want Uncharted. I can ignore everything else gladly.

Multiplatform games? I only want Mirror's Edge. I want EA to TRY and sell it. They didn't show it any love last time and it was the best thing to have an EA label since Need for Speed Underground. So yeah. I totally agree. I can't even hate people for not buying it... EA didn't sell it to people. I had no idea what it was when It was given to me with my replacement PS3.

Finally totally unrelated to Sony, or maybe not since they like discussing it recently... and keep hinting at it along with Sega... I want Shenmue 3. I think Sony and Sega are just messing with us people who want it though. Sega have messed with us for 11+ years. reveal/cancel/make online game/cancel/make hints at game/cancel.

No one has suffered in this industry more than the Shenmue fan. People have waited longer probably, but no one has been teased as much.

It's the one thing that has made me so anti Sega throughout the years. That game has to happen. The second game ended in a grand scale of epic cliffhanger moments and... I'm still waiting in that cave they left me in. My mind is still there.

But hey speaking of new IP's.

I bought Remember Me. I enjoyed it, no one else bought it, everyone else just listened to the slanderous reviews without forming their own opinion by playing it. I honestly don't see many of the complaints for it as even valid. The only one that really counts is... Linear. It is.

You can't say it's not as good as Batman. It's not supposed to BE Batman. It's supposed to have it's own feel and it's own identity. People can't seem to let go of other games.

As opposed to something like... AMY

Which has a good premise. patches fixed up a lot of the issues, combat is still real bad though. But it's worth buying because of the effort they put into it. You can see the premise, you can see the script. you can still see intelligent level design and the thought process. I can really enjoy it despite it's bad combat system, the rest of the game is actually decent after the patch. It's not that bad. It's not awesome. It's what you'd expect from a PSN game.

Kane and Lynch never got the sales it deserved either, especially the second one which was a masterpiece of narrative and solid gameplay.

You know what. I'm going to buy Unearthed too. Not because it's a masterpiece. It's horrible. I know that. But the story seems good, they took time to translate into over 20 languages. while the gameplay isn't great, they were clearly on a poor budget and gave their best to ensure people who will stick with it will actually be able to play in their own native language which is very rare and deserves some level of respect.

The music in it is actually well created too. I'm a fan of the effort they put into it. They deserve a reward for their effort and I'd like to see what they could do with a bigger budget.

Message 4 of 7 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Umm, the new Battlefront game isn't a reboot, it's a sequel.

Message 5 of 7 (383 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 27, 2014

thepotatoguy wrote:

Umm, the new Battlefront game isn't a reboot, it's a sequel.

Okay, so, is it called Battlefront 3?

Not so much.  Until I hear DICE call it Battlefront 3, I'm going with the only trailer out there, which calls it Battlefront.  Sorry, Charlie.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 6 of 7 (351 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6003 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2014

I love new IP's and more so I'm one of the few that love indie titles probably more than anyone. While I like yearly titled franchises, it's great to get the new game that didn't follow that cycle.

The Last of Us is a perfect example of a wonderful new IP that took everyone by surprise but it was from the very talent studio , Naughty Dog after all.

I agree with the earlier post that some of these new titles get a bad rap because it isn't Michael Bay action explosion enough or JJ Abrams lighting qualified, or CD Project Red PC breaking graphics melting.

Knack got horrible reviews, but everyone I talked to who played it really liked it. Gave it a shot and was surprised how good it was (graphically and gameplay wise).

Some game franchises are fatiguing imo, like COD Ghosts. While the multiplayer is still fun and single player is borderline passable, if you take a step back you realize nothing has really changed with the series. While Blops 2 tried to do something different with your actions change the story/ending, they chucked that out the window to return to the old yearly pumping them out formula.

We need indie titles as well, some are utterly fantastic in their premise and scope, more than often new experiences and ventures that big budget titles would never take a gamble on. Jonathon Blows next game The Witness looks FABULOUS while the puzzles really make the game interesting. Time also looks fantastic! Contrast, while many shrug it off, had a good story with a gameplay concept of shadows adding to the intriguing game already. While Don't Starve may be difficult with most, once you understand it and dabble in ways to survive, the game is extremely addicting. Indies are also bringing back almost dead genre, and Besides The Evil Within, Indies are bringing back the lost horror genre with titles like Outlast, Daylight, and Soma.

Free to play titles are now showing exponential value right when you open the Box of your PS4. Titles like Warframe, Blacklight Retribution, and DCUO have a heavy community already and PS4 owners can play them instantly without spending a dime. I have multiple friends that love those games and have spent more time into the games themselves than money (some not even touching the micro transactions by grinding). 

So what it all boils down to, I look forward to new titles and IP's no matter from AAA studios, Indies, or Free to Play game creationists, I'll try my best to buy them all when I get the find to support their future endeavors Smiley Happy!

Message 7 of 7 (343 Views)
0 Likes