Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 22 2013
By: Ming_Dragon Wastelander 841 posts

Opinions on the Super-Slim? Any problems?

[ Edited ]
14 replies 263 views Edited Mar 22, 2013

So I just got the new super-slim and I gotta say, it LOOKS impressive for sure. Its about 40% smaller than my original PS3 fat. (not to mention the 40 to 500gb difference!) However, I notied 3 things that kinda bug me and I want to know your guys' opinions of them.

1) The power supply has no grounding pin.

For a system that uses as much power as it does, im suprised the super-slim has no grounding pin. I mean, its not really a huge deal, because I plug all of my stuff into surge protectors anyway, but its not quite as 'snug' as my PS3 fat was. And it seems to be the sort- of 'cheap' cord. Reminds me of the orignal PS2 power supply cord.

2) There are minimal fans.

There is only 1 line of fans on the super-slim, and they are on the back. There are no fans on the bottom of front part of the ps3, or on the sides, like there were on the original PS3 fat. Im worried that it is easier to overheat, however, since the PS3 is at a much smaller size i susposect that it runs on alot less power than the old PS3, am I correct?

3) It seems laggy on the menus.

Now I only noticed this when I was on the PS Store, but when I scroll down and stuff it seems... choppy. Not sure if its my connection or the store or what, but it kinda bugged me. Nothing major though I mean it works fine...

Also on the XMB when switching tabs (like from Network to Game to Video to Settings, etc) it seems to have a slight delay. Again, it might just be me, but im not positive. Is there something you can run that scans the PS3 for errors or is there a way I can get a fresh re-download of the latest update?

Thank you for your opinions and help in advance :smileyhappy:

-MD24

Message 1 of 15 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Re: Opinions on the Super-Slim? Any problems?

Mar 22, 2013

All PS3s have a small chance of giving you problems, reading this forum often makes one realize that, id say the late PS3 slims have the least problems

its not a big deal I've heard more problems with chubby PS3s power supplies than any of the slims

the new models always produce less heat so SONY cuts costs by reducing the fan size and the cooling system in general so probably all PS3s overheat in their own way if you do not keep them properly clean and in a proper location

the store got a bit clunky the XMB should be the same, you cant re-install an update

Message 2 of 15 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for the reply! That makes me feel a bit better about the choice I made to get the SS. Upon turning the PS3 on again after I let it sit for awhile, im not having the XMB  'problem' I was having before. Might of just needed a restart. Seems perfectly fine now. Also its pretty quiet, I don't know what people mean when they say its super loud. My original PS3 is 10X louder than this thing. XD

Message 3 of 15 (239 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5721 posts

Mar 22, 2013
The latest slim models works really well so far with me.
Alot less noisy than my 60gb Model and exerts less heat.

Message 4 of 15 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1898 posts

Mar 22, 2013
NOTE: you might turn on your ps3, and the fan will get really loud, and a message will pop up saying *PS3 OVERHEATING, TURNING OFF* it will turn off, then just turn back on, and it will probably never happen again
Message 5 of 15 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

Mar 22, 2013

Thats actually a pretty nice feature, I like that.

I keep my PS3 in a well-ventelated area through, and my room is downstars so its natrually colder, so I don't think i'll have any overheating problems. Just in case though, thats a nice feature to have on the PS3 if it ever does get too hot, maybe after a long gaming session.

Message 6 of 15 (204 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3578 posts

Mar 22, 2013

I really like my Super Slim. I had a Slim where my SS is. The Slim was quiet. The SS is even quieter.

Where I moved the SLIM to it didn't like the space at all, kept turning the fan speed so fast, I have to leave it on top of the console. It can't live in the drawer pull out thing as the manufacturer shows other gaming devices being, I mean turned on ONLY when pulled out. In any case, the cats have knocked that SLIM off of the console a few times, and it hasn't damaged it yet.

IF I had to have a SS up there, I don't think it'd last. But, it is great with decent care. I leave it on most of the time and it's solid and happy and quiet as a well fed mouse. I have it vertical on the stand you can buy for it (disc that screws into the bottom of the SS.)

Message 7 of 15 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

Mar 22, 2013

Oh thats kinda neat how they made a vertical stand, sort of like what the Wii uses, huh?

Great option for people who like to store their PS3 that way. I keep mine flat, personally.

Message 8 of 15 (185 Views)
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Good points.

I'm concidering actually getting one, I skipped this generation (PS3) because they took BC off, and I never forgave them. The red GOW one looks sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Banned for getting my account hacked!
. . . . . . .
Banned for asking why in the forums!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 9 of 15 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5721 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Madducky wrote:

Good points.

I'm concidering actually getting one, I skipped this generation (PS3) because they took BC off, and I never forgave them. The red GOW one looks sweet.

You can get a B/C console for a decent price off Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-3-60G-Piano-Black-Console-System-NTSC-PS3-Backwards-PS2-CEC...

Message 10 of 15 (156 Views)
0 Likes