Gaming Beast
1581 posts

Re: PS+ Compensation When Unable To Use The PSN?

Aug 29, 2014

AnjeroX2 wrote:

wow if you have 5 downtimes of about 8 hours each, since launch that means an uptime of 99.4% . comparing this to industry standards and the network size you should be applauding these numbers in stead of mentioning refunds

But if each one of those downtime periods happened just as I was getting home from work and ended after I went to bed, I'm basically offline for a week.  Its hard to applaud that kind of service.  Percentages mean nothing when I can't use the service.  Not saying it will happen, but not saying it won't.

But your statement is not really in the realm of what we are getting at here.  its when the service might go down for longer periods.

doc shady signature
Message 371 of 883 (289 Views)
Survivor
1968 posts

Aug 29, 2014
@AnjeroX2

You are right 99.4% is incredibly good uptime to the majority of consumers. I do applaud Sony for doing an outstanding job so far and I do have confidence that Sony will continue to work hard to maintain that high commitment to excellence.

That said, the terms of the ToS could still use amending. The reasons have been discussed already so I'm not going over them again.

@SHANE523 @docshady @PLYMCO_PILGRIM it was good talking with all of you on this and hearing your points. Shane i particularly appreciated your input. You were the counter argument to the OP and you did it by having valid points, listening to both sides and not just taking a hard stance against for the sake of argument. It's refreshing when people can have an opinion AND still be willing to consider the other side. I think I'm going to spend a minute handing out kudos
Message 372 of 883 (282 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
350 posts

Aug 29, 2014

docshady wrote:

AnjeroX2 wrote:

wow if you have 5 downtimes of about 8 hours each, since launch that means an uptime of 99.4% . comparing this to industry standards and the network size you should be applauding these numbers in stead of mentioning refunds

But if each one of those downtime periods happened just as I was getting home from work and ended after I went to bed, I'm basically offline for a week.  Its hard to applaud that kind of service.  Percentages mean nothing when I can't use the service.  Not saying it will happen, but not saying it won't.

But your statement is not really in the realm of what we are getting at here.  its when the service might go down for longer periods.

Ah then the realm has shifted because i clearly remember people wanted compensation for maintenance and Ddos attakcs.

But as I have stated before in this topic of course when downtime gets in percentages that are not considered normal. Then customers clearly are entitled to be compensated. But to my knowledge Sony did compensate gamers with free games and extra psn subscription when they went down hard in 2011. So why already worry about the future when the history shows that they will compensate in such cases. Complain about it when such an event actually happens and sony doesn't compensate

Message 373 of 883 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7148 posts

Aug 29, 2014

docshady wrote:

I don't think the "Me" generation has anything to do with what we're talking about.  Its not unreasonable to expect a certain level of customer service or basic service when that service is already paid for.  Sony has your money, the full payment.  Their service goes down and your out, not sony.

The amount, no matter how little, is not the point.  The point is that sony has taken payment for a service, they should provide compensation if their service is down for an unreasonable amount of time, no matter why its down.  4 hours downtime?  No, several days down, do as Blizzard does, extend the billing month by those days so your compensated with days of service.  We're not asking for money back?  Not at all, But extra time added to the commitment time of PS+ would be nice.

I didn't mean that towards you or the OP, just a general comment about how most of society is now. Or at least a lot of society is now.

Sorry if I gave you that impression.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 374 of 883 (275 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1163 posts

Aug 29, 2014
I sent my PS4 in to Sony for service. They've had it since August 19. I'm probably looking at at least another week before it comes back. So I'm looking at 3 weeks without my PS4 because it's in repair and I have no other Sony consoles, so I'm out that PS+ time. The support guy told me it couldn't be refunded for plus and I understand that. But now that I'm 1/2 month without a console and another week or more to go, I'm starting to have second thoughts. 3 weeks is longer than you think after you send in your console for service! ;-)
Message 375 of 883 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
602 posts

Aug 29, 2014

After recent attacks took down the PlayStation Network over the weekend, Sony postponed scheduled maintenance on the service. Today, the company will complete its upgrades, with minimal interruptions.

Sony expects to begin the operation at 9:40 a.m. Pacific / 12:40 p.m. Eastern and complete it by 4:50 p.m. Pacific / 7:50 p.m. Eastern. Provided you have signed in any time since August 23, you will be able to play games online and use streaming media apps like Netflix.

Unfortunately, The PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home, and account management services will be offline during this time. If you’ve got any games to download, now would be a good time to get those processes started.

by Mike Futter on August 28, 2014 at 08:11 AM

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/28/psn-maintenance-rescheduled-for-today.aspx

@BP must be thursday is the new sunday. sony did not conduct maint on sunday. I already discredited this argument. Why don't you try doing some research instead of being a corporate shill and believing everything sony tells you. A little research goes along way. 

And the cancellating notice.

Update: Sony has apparently canceled the scheduled maintenance due to yesterday's attacks. The company posted a note on the PlayStation Blog, but failed to update its support page for the PlayStation Network. An update on the rescheduled time will be coming soon. 

Original Story:

Normally we wouldn’t call out planned maintenance, but given the events of the weekend, we thought a heads-up is in order. The PlayStation Network suffered a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack that brought it down for the majority of Sunday, August 24. Today, Sony will be upgrading the service, an activity that was scheduled prior to yesterday’s events.

The process will begin at approximately 9:40 a.m. Pacific / 12:30 p.m. Eastern. The upgrades are scheduled for completion by 4:50 p.m. Pacific / 7:50 p.m. Eastern.

Sony notes that following yesterday’s attack, some users may still have slowness or failure logging in. Typically, PlayStation Network service can be made transparent to end users that log in prior to the start of the activity. 

Sony has not explicitly stated that this is the case for this servicing, but just in case, you might want to log in this morning. For more on yesterday’s attacks, you can read our coverage of both the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live outages.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/25/psa-playstation-network-undergoing-scheduled-m...

Message 376 of 883 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2014

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

docshady wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Its not a prepaid phone  deal you are not paying physical time just from a date to a different date that is a year later. Theres no minute counter at all unlike a prepaid phone. Deal with it your not geting your re enbursement.   Dont like it dont renew Plus. It is what it is your acting like a 2 year old now with all of this demanding this and demanding tat acting like yep Sony knew this was gonan happen and planned just to take time away from you. Umm no they didnt. A DDOS  attack is like an act of god situationm no one can control it or stop it so Sony  doesnt oew you a **bleep** thing.

Act of god? Seriously? Thats just stupid. Its perpetrated by a hacker or a group of hackers. Last I heard, god isn't chasing a younger, short-haired version of Angelina Jolie around. Sony is just as much at fault because their network lacked the proper security and safeguards to withstand a DDOS attack. Sony owns the PSN, its their responsibility to safeguard out private information and maintain the PSN. God's got nothing to do with this. He said "like an act of God" meaning that it is out of Sony's control. And he is correct.  I have to 100% disagree.  its well within sonys realm of grasp to protect its network from hackers or people who would generally cause it harm.  Sony is responsible for the network and its security, no matter where a threat comes from or how it happens.  Sony just doesn't get to wash its hands of the situation because some punk **bleep** kid decided to have a little fun.  If my front step is broken, do you think I'd be absolved of any wrong doing if you trip over it and break your ankle?  No.  I would be if I asked you to sign a waiver absolving me of any wrong doing before hand.  Now that I have no responsibility for injuries, I have no motivation to fix the step.  I think you see where I'm going with this.  Leave sony to their own devices and they will do whats in the best interest of sony, not you, the paying customer.

Nothing was breeched or data was exchanged or given to said hackers. Job well done by Sony

No, not job well done.  The attack happened and sonys service wasn't able to withstand it, no data breaches happened but the service was down and its PRE-PAID customers were not able to access the service they have have already given sony money to access.  NOT job well done.

Regardless of whether or not sony is responsible for the downtime, they are responsible for how they treat their customers. I had to pre-pay for a whole year to use the PS+ service, but sony has taken he time to have their lawyers write up a ToS they gets them out of providing any extra account time for PS+ or any other kind of compensation no matter what happens with the PSN or plus, a service we all PRE-PAID for. This is the type of company we are dealing with. This is what sony thinks of you and I, their customers. We're not worth compensating because it would hurt the bottom line. We are paying for a 1 year subscription. Just like I do for my Dish. If the weather knocks out my TV I don't get extra time added. Again if it is a few hours to a day don't expect anything. BUT Sony has shown they treat their customers well in the past when it was a lengthy downtime.  yeah, lenghty like weeks or months...but their generosity has its limits.  Hours, no.  Days, thats a different story.  If her was unable to utilize a service that I paid for and it was no fault of my own, I'd be calling sony

Call Sony no one is going to stop you here. But dont be surprised when they say no . Tos allows them so and again this DDOS attack. Sonu owes no one a  thing. They actualy shut down the network to try to prevent anything. Also We were sopose to have maintenance Moday. This was done Sunday while it was down. If you actually talked to a Sony Rep they should have told you so like they did me.  Yes, sony is well within their right to do nothing for us.  Thats GREAT customer service, thats really looking out and caring for your customer right there.  Go out of your way to get it in writing that you have to do nothing for us.

And Pilgrim is acting like a 2 year old because he demands more from a service he pays for? Man, fanboys amaze me sometime....blind, totally blind. Its should be your duty as a paying customer to demand more. Anybody who expects anything less then the best for their dollar is an idiot. BP, why don't you just toss sony a blank check while your at it. Just let them run wild in your bank account. They can't do any wrong. Maybe sign up for a few credit cards. Not for you to use but to give to Sony. The extra cash might help sure up their stock price. Unfortunatley yes he is. He is being unreasonable with his expectations. There is no organization in the world that will compensate you for 12 hours on a year subscription when the downtime is not due to the organization. 12 hours over a year is over 99% uptime.  He pays money for the service, he is the FURTHEST thing from unreasonable.  If it was a free service, then yes, maybe, but we pay for the service.  We expect better.

Again things in life  there wont be thing you can control you just o the best you can. Same goes forbusinesss like it or not. Thats like loosing tv due to a power storm and when it comes on demanding your cable company to replay all the shows you missed durring the power outage. Not going to happen.  A small outage isn't worth your time but if I'm out of service for days at a time, I'm not paying for it.  My TV provider will reimburse me for a few days.  Sony can't do that?  Sony won't do that?  Sony doesn't do anything because they feel they don't have to while still maintaining the bottom line and shareholder value.

All your opinion. TOS says otherwise.

Message 377 of 883 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1581 posts

Aug 29, 2014

Black0Panther wrote:

Spoiler
docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

docshady wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Its not a prepaid phone  deal you are not paying physical time just from a date to a different date that is a year later. Theres no minute counter at all unlike a prepaid phone. Deal with it your not geting your re enbursement.   Dont like it dont renew Plus. It is what it is your acting like a 2 year old now with all of this demanding this and demanding tat acting like yep Sony knew this was gonan happen and planned just to take time away from you. Umm no they didnt. A DDOS  attack is like an act of god situationm no one can control it or stop it so Sony  doesnt oew you a **bleep** thing.

Act of god? Seriously? Thats just stupid. Its perpetrated by a hacker or a group of hackers. Last I heard, god isn't chasing a younger, short-haired version of Angelina Jolie around. Sony is just as much at fault because their network lacked the proper security and safeguards to withstand a DDOS attack. Sony owns the PSN, its their responsibility to safeguard out private information and maintain the PSN. God's got nothing to do with this. He said "like an act of God" meaning that it is out of Sony's control. And he is correct.  I have to 100% disagree.  its well within sonys realm of grasp to protect its network from hackers or people who would generally cause it harm.  Sony is responsible for the network and its security, no matter where a threat comes from or how it happens.  Sony just doesn't get to wash its hands of the situation because some punk **bleep** kid decided to have a little fun.  If my front step is broken, do you think I'd be absolved of any wrong doing if you trip over it and break your ankle?  No.  I would be if I asked you to sign a waiver absolving me of any wrong doing before hand.  Now that I have no responsibility for injuries, I have no motivation to fix the step.  I think you see where I'm going with this.  Leave sony to their own devices and they will do whats in the best interest of sony, not you, the paying customer.

Nothing was breeched or data was exchanged or given to said hackers. Job well done by Sony

No, not job well done.  The attack happened and sonys service wasn't able to withstand it, no data breaches happened but the service was down and its PRE-PAID customers were not able to access the service they have have already given sony money to access.  NOT job well done.

Regardless of whether or not sony is responsible for the downtime, they are responsible for how they treat their customers. I had to pre-pay for a whole year to use the PS+ service, but sony has taken he time to have their lawyers write up a ToS they gets them out of providing any extra account time for PS+ or any other kind of compensation no matter what happens with the PSN or plus, a service we all PRE-PAID for. This is the type of company we are dealing with. This is what sony thinks of you and I, their customers. We're not worth compensating because it would hurt the bottom line. We are paying for a 1 year subscription. Just like I do for my Dish. If the weather knocks out my TV I don't get extra time added. Again if it is a few hours to a day don't expect anything. BUT Sony has shown they treat their customers well in the past when it was a lengthy downtime.  yeah, lenghty like weeks or months...but their generosity has its limits.  Hours, no.  Days, thats a different story.  If her was unable to utilize a service that I paid for and it was no fault of my own, I'd be calling sony

Call Sony no one is going to stop you here. But dont be surprised when they say no . Tos allows them so and again this DDOS attack. Sonu owes no one a  thing. They actualy shut down the network to try to prevent anything. Also We were sopose to have maintenance Moday. This was done Sunday while it was down. If you actually talked to a Sony Rep they should have told you so like they did me.  Yes, sony is well within their right to do nothing for us.  Thats GREAT customer service, thats really looking out and caring for your customer right there.  Go out of your way to get it in writing that you have to do nothing for us.

And Pilgrim is acting like a 2 year old because he demands more from a service he pays for? Man, fanboys amaze me sometime....blind, totally blind. Its should be your duty as a paying customer to demand more. Anybody who expects anything less then the best for their dollar is an idiot. BP, why don't you just toss sony a blank check while your at it. Just let them run wild in your bank account. They can't do any wrong. Maybe sign up for a few credit cards. Not for you to use but to give to Sony. The extra cash might help sure up their stock price. Unfortunatley yes he is. He is being unreasonable with his expectations. There is no organization in the world that will compensate you for 12 hours on a year subscription when the downtime is not due to the organization. 12 hours over a year is over 99% uptime.  He pays money for the service, he is the FURTHEST thing from unreasonable.  If it was a free service, then yes, maybe, but we pay for the service.  We expect better.

Again things in life  there wont be thing you can control you just o the best you can. Same goes forbusinesss like it or not. Thats like loosing tv due to a power storm and when it comes on demanding your cable company to replay all the shows you missed durring the power outage. Not going to happen.  A small outage isn't worth your time but if I'm out of service for days at a time, I'm not paying for it.  My TV provider will reimburse me for a few days.  Sony can't do that?  Sony won't do that?  Sony doesn't do anything because they feel they don't have to while still maintaining the bottom line and shareholder value.

All ypur opinion. TOS says otherwise.

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation (as usual).

yes, thats my opinion.  But the difference here BP is that I have an opinion, and freely express it.  I'm not a corperate shill fanboy who lacks the ability to have an opinion that dares to venture past the almighty ToS.

Its people like myself, Pilgrim, shane, who make this service a better service for everybody.

Its people like you who keep it in the dark ages.

doc shady signature
Message 378 of 883 (241 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Aug 29, 2014

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Spoiler
docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

docshady wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

yes, thats my opinion.  But the difference here BP is that I have an opinion, and freely express it.  I'm not a corperate shill fanboy who lacks the ability to have an opinion that dares to venture past the almighty ToS.

Its people like myself, Pilgrim, shane, who make this service a better service for everybody.

Thanks for acting like a know it all and act like your aways 100% right in every conversation when your not.

Message 379 of 883 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1581 posts

Aug 29, 2014

Black0Panther wrote:

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Spoiler
docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

docshady wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

docshady wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Thanks for acting like a know it all and act like your aways 100% right in every conversation when your not.

I'm acting like I want to improve the service for everybody, including you.  You ALWAYS come out on the wrong end because you have one opinion.  Regardless of what the topic is, BP, you have to be the corperate shill, you have to defend sony at all costs.  Regardless of your opinion, I find it hard to take you seriously because you lack the ability to see more then one side of a situation.

You are wrong.

doc shady signature
Message 380 of 883 (236 Views)