Jun 25 2014
By: PLYMCO_PILGRIM PlayStation MVP 46866 posts

PS+ Compensation When Unable To Use The PSN?

[ Edited ]
218 replies 1018 views Edited 4 weeks ago

Hi everyone.  I wanted to make a thread to discuss how you, I, and hopefully someone from Sony (if they will chime in) feel about not being able to access the PSN when, if you are on the PS4, you now have to pre-pay for access to via PS+. 

What are your views on how Sony should handle PSN outages when we are all required to pay for PS+ in advance to get online and access games that we paid for such as BF4 or use features such as the party chat or trophies which are part of PSN?

My view is as follows:

1)  I have prepaid for a service and I should be able to receive the service I paid for

2)  If Sony can not provide the service they had me pre-pay for they should refund me for the time I am not able to use the service they agreed to provide by virtue of accepting my payment for said service.  EDIT: By refund for time I mean if I'm out for 24 hours add 24 hours to my PS+ before it expires, some comments did not realize this is what I was saying)  

Seems like common sense, right?   You offer a service, someone pays you for it, you don't deliver, you provide compensation to the person who paid for what you did not deliver.

As it stands right now we have no protection at all and are at Sony's mercy if they decide they want to do something for us, or not, if we lose our PSN that we pay for with PS+

Spoiler

15. MAINTENANCE AND UPGRADES

From time to time, it may become necessary to provide certain content to you to ensure that SEN First Party Services and content offered through SEN First Party Services, your PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, the PSP® system, PlayStation®Vita system, 4K Ultra HD Media Player system or other authorized hardware is functioning properly. Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign in. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, the PSP® system, PlayStation®Vita system, 4K Ultra HD Media Player system or other authorized hardware. Access or use to any system software is subject to terms and conditions of a separate end user license agreement. You authorize SNEI to provide such content and agree that SNEI shall not be liable for any damages, loss of data or loss of functionalities arising from provision of such content or maintenance services.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 219 (1,018 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11439 posts

Re: PS+ Refund When Unable To Use The PSN?

5 weeks ago

Decided to give the PSN Terms of Service a gander, and in section 15:

From time to time, it may become necessary to provide certain content to you to ensure that SEN First Party Services and content offered through SEN First Party Services, your PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, the PSP® system, PlayStation®Vita system, 4K Ultra HD Media Player system or other authorized hardware is functioning properly. Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign in. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, the PSP® system, PlayStation®Vita system, 4K Ultra HD Media Player system or other authorized hardware. Access or use to any system software is subject to terms and conditions of a separate end user license agreement. You authorize SNEI to provide such content and agree that SNEI shall not be liable for any damages, loss of data or loss of functionalities arising from provision of such content or maintenance services.

So, wouldn't that be applicable here?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 219 (1,002 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1733 posts

[ Edited ]
5 weeks ago

Correction... As a reply to above... That does sound applicable to this Topic, but it doesn't really say much about Plus in that Agreement, no?

-------------------

I think this was one of the things Disgused back when they made Announcements about the PS4... 

Wasn't the PS4 suppose to always be Online? Where as you could Update without going Offline? 

I think the Update you had already Updated, caused this issue, & i'm pretty sure all Sony has to do is turn the Update 
back down... 

Problem is, you can't go backwards, so changing the Name is obvious... We saw this on the PS3 already... 

It should not take Sony very long to realize this by now... ~_~ 

As far as Plus & Offline goes, I agree with you... You should be compensated for... =D

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 219 (989 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

5 weeks ago

I believe a decision should be based on the length of time the network is down.  It's understandable that Sony is going to update once in a while, or work on their servers.  If it goes on for an extended amount of time, however, store credit at least should be given to the subscribers. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 219 (953 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
255 posts

5 weeks ago
One day of no service would be like $1.60 if you bought the one year prepaid. Which also brings up the point of how to refund prepaid cards, PSN credit? How about giving a free game or something like that if the network has been down for a few days? I haven't been on the PSN for too long, but I don't know of any real long term outage. Remember if you can't get on and buy stuff, they make no money lol. They don't want that to happen!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 219 (918 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46866 posts

[ Edited ]
5 weeks ago

glaciusx25 wrote:

Decided to give the PSN Terms of Service a gander, and in section 15:

So, wouldn't that be applicable here?

It would be applicable which is why I want to discuss, with the community (and hopefully one representative from sony), this topic.

I personally feel this is a very bad position for Sony to take in the realm of customer service and see many gamers, espeically several I game with, getting very upset with Sony about that.   So I made the thread to discuss if people feel this is the right way for Sony to handle it or the wrong way.  

What if PSN was down for a month, or two, instead of just a day?  The language here puts us at Sony's mercy if something (like the PSN crash not too long ago) bad happens.  Sure Sony gave us some free games last time, that I already had, but we never did get any direct compensation (refund/credit for PS+) for what we paid in advance.   

Spoiler

I personally don't think it is a good policy for Sony to have.   It just doesn't ring with the values Sony has held as a company over my 20+ years of buying their products.    Then again giving me a PS4 that can't even play back my MP3 files like my PS3 does, while offering a subscription service to get music on my PS4 if I want, also tells me Sony has changed its values in the last few years.   In my opinion their values change hasn't been for the better.  Oh I'm ranting now, let me make this one hidden.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 219 (915 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46866 posts

5 weeks ago

BloodSpillBill wrote:
One day of no service would be like $1.60 if you bought the one year prepaid. Which also brings up the point of how to refund prepaid cards, PSN credit? How about giving a free game or something like that if the network has been down for a few days? I haven't been on the PSN for too long, but I don't know of any real long term outage. Remember if you can't get on and buy stuff, they make no money lol. They don't want that to happen!

I would have no problem with a credit.  If my paid PSN access goes down for one day I should have one day added onto my PS+.   (This is what the cable company does)

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 219 (905 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11439 posts

5 weeks ago

BloodSpillBill wrote:

Don't know where you got $1.60 from, it's 13.7 cents per day if you buy the $50 prepaid card.

$50/365=.13698

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 219 (904 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
255 posts

5 weeks ago
^please mind the Derp math above, I can't edit the post lol. That would be like .13-.14 cents a day
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 219 (897 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
255 posts

5 weeks ago
I did it for a month by accident, you posted before I could correct
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 219 (890 Views)
0 Likes