Sep 07 2013
By: coximus22 First Son 7 posts

PS Plus cost me my save data

8 replies 176 views Edited Sep 7, 2013

So I'm playing wipeout 2048 on my vita 2 days ago (which I'm over 40 hours into btw) when I get a popup telling me the application has expired and then I can no longer play it.  I figure out that it is my playstation plus account that has expired even though I got no message or notification of any kind to warn me about this.  So I renew my ps plus account and go back to play wipeout but the online pass no longer works and I still can't play the game.  So then I delete the game and redownload it so that I can play online only to discover that my save data has been completely deleted?!?! 

Is there seriously no save data files that are separate from the game and I have lost everything I've done on this game?????

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (176 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
838 posts

Re: PS Plus cost me my save data

Sep 7, 2013

I think you have to go back into your account and renew the license for the game after renewing PS+, not sure, I got bits and pieces of the process from the forums.  Its and backwards and redundant process that should be corrected.

I'm assuming you lost your saves because you deleted and redownloaded the game, either that or all saves are deleted when PS+ runs out (Not sure about that one).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 7, 2013

Yeah I deleted the game and redownloaded it just like I've done on PS3 plenty of times.  Using common sense, I assumed that this was the same and that game saves were kept separate from game utility data.  Evidently if you delete a game you've downloaded you also delete every save associated with it? 

Can this really be true?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
409 posts

Sep 7, 2013
Yes the save data is tied to the game file. But as a plus member you did have access to copying your save data to the cloud. From what you're saying, you didn't know about that. So for future reference copy your save files to the cloud before deleting anything. You can access that by tapping the plus logo in the Live Area screen that pops up when you select a game. Then hit upload. That is the only way I know of to seperate your save file from the game file.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4327 posts

Sep 7, 2013

If you had PlayStation Plus, your save should be automatically in the cloud. Just download the save back to your Vita. To do this, open the game again but don't pay it just yet. On your games live screen window there should be a plus tab to the right. Click on that. Download save should be there, progress and all. Hopefully you enabled cloud save uploads though. I do on all my games on Vita and PS3. I had an incident that my save file got corrupted on Metro Last Light on my PS3 bit I was lucky enough my last save had been automatically been uploaded to the cloud the night before. Downloaded the save back down and I was fine and dandy. Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (143 Views)
Sackboy
409 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

Oh yeah, da1writer is right. Make sure you don't have a save file already on the cloud before uploading a new one. If you had the automatic update option on it would have uploaded your files for you. I believe Sony kept everything in one file to prevent people from hacking save files, or otherwise abusing the save file system like the ps3 has. It sucks that they did it this way but having plus pretty much solves the problem. Personally, I don't keep auto-upload on. I don't like the thought of my PS3 or vita being on by themselves.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (138 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

Oh man of course I did not have automatic uploads activated.  Thanks for the replies I guess I learned a very expensive lesson.  I'm going to go try to keep from crying. 

Still I can't believe that my saves aren't separate from the game itself that is very very frustrating.  So unless I store saves to the cloud then I can never delete a game that I have downloaded to free up space or else i lose my saves.  I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5572 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

coximus22 wrote:

Oh man of course I did not have automatic uploads activated.  Thanks for the replies I guess I learned a very expensive lesson.  I'm going to go try to keep from crying. 

Still I can't believe that my saves aren't separate from the game itself that is very very frustrating.  So unless I store saves to the cloud then I can never delete a game that I have downloaded to free up space or else i lose my saves.  I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. 

That last part is not exactly true, the cloud is not the only way to back up your save files on the Vita, you can back up your saves to either the PC or the PS3 using content manager.

Another thing I would like to point out, as on the Vita, the game application has both the game and saves files, when you try to delete any game on the Vita, it gives you a warning, saying if you delete this application all save data will be deleted as well, and it will ask if your sure you want to delete it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (109 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1127 posts

Sep 7, 2013
Not reading the whole thread cuz im lazy. Your save data is deleted with the game unless backed up on PC or online storage through PS+. Sorry for your loss

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (103 Views)
0 Likes