Feb 24 2014
By: DuxDub Lombax Warrior 145 posts

PS Vita-Add to consoles that didn't sell list

[ Edited ]
11 replies 251 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

We also have the Sega Dreamcast and the Nintendo GameCube.

Edit: Updated label and title. For more information on labels, click here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Message 1 of 12 (251 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
803 posts

Re: So I guess the PS Vita is added to the great consoles that didn't sell list.

Feb 24, 2014

Awesome, a doom and gloom thread. Nothing to see here.

All Star Superman
A vita supporter in a crowd of haters. Links >>>
Twitter // Work // Instagram // Nerd Blog // Last.FM // PS MVP T&C // FFXIVarr
Message 2 of 12 (246 Views)
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Re: So I guess the PS Vita is added to the great consoles that didn't sell list.

Feb 24, 2014
Message 3 of 12 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
64 posts

Feb 24, 2014

The fact that you listed the Gamecube makes this a joke thread.

PC: 3570K @ 4.6GHz | GTX 560 Ti @ 935/2125 | EVGA Z77 FTW | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB Intel 330 SSD
Consoles: PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | X360 | XBOX | NES
Handhelds: Vita | 3DS XL | Gameboy Advance | Gameboy Color | Gameboy Pocket | iOS | Android
Message 4 of 12 (232 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1080 posts

Re: PS Vita-Add to consoles that didn't sell list

Feb 24, 2014

Don't totally count the PS Vita out yet..

RISE_UP44
“Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door. ”
― Coco Chanel
Message 5 of 12 (183 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Sony just announced a new model of the Vita to be released worldwide.  It's far from abandoned, and the fight is far from over.  Of course, it's entirely possible that you will be made to be correct, but I have a dollar that says this new version of the Vita will also be bundled with the PS4 mid-to-late year, and you'll see the install base go up by quite a bit.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 6 of 12 (179 Views)
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Feb 24, 2014

The Vita is not a console, but rather a handheld gaming device. The terminology between handhelds and consoles is definitely there and distinctive. When using a console-based platform it's attached to the television set. When using a handheld gaming device, on the other hand, it can be free of any wires, unless you'd rather it stay tethered to your adapter.

With that said, the Vita might not be doing extremely well sales-wise but it's only been two years since the Vita first launched (at least in North America). The PlayStation Portable didn't really pick up steam until at least three years into its life cycle, if I remember correctly. That's when some of the biggest and most attractive releases started piling in, from God of War: Chains of Olympus to Patapon.

If there were more than just ports or multiplatform titles on the Vita then I could see the sales picking up steam, not that it hasn't gained interest already. But, we're still only at the two-year marker. Maybe by year's end or later we'll actually start seeing more new titles to call attention to gamers' around the globe.

Message 7 of 12 (162 Views)
Survivor
1817 posts

Feb 24, 2014

On the bright side, everything you mentioned was a success compared to the Jaguar, the 3D0, and the Virtual Boy.

Message 8 of 12 (150 Views)
Lombax Warrior
198 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

DuxDub wrote:

We also have the Sega Dreamcast and the Nintendo GameCube.

Edit: Updated label and title. For more information on labels, click here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

What an ignorant thread. 

1) Dreamcast outsold Saturn and Sega CD. I don't think it was ever intended to outsell the PS2 and if anything they were screwed by an overstaturated console market. Dreamcast was an awesome system, but they couldn't compete with the likes of Nintendo and Sony. Microsoft being added to the market only made things worse.

2) Gamecube had similar numbers to the original Xbox. You might as well have just said "any console other than PS2 during the 6th generation" because PS2 trounced everything else.

3) Comparing a handheld console to home consoles sounds smart, right? More apt comparisons of handheld consoles with promise that the market missed out on would be Game Gear, Atari Lynx, and Neo Geo Pocket.

4) The Vita's run is far from over. We can revisit this in a year, and you may very well be right, but between the re-release of the Slim Vita and marketting the Vita as a "PS4 accessory", they just might get the Vita in to enough hands to get more game developers on board, which is what they are really lacking at this point.

Not sure if you want a cookie for noticing that the Vita sales figures are poor, but don't put a fork in it yet.

Message 9 of 12 (144 Views)
VP of Gaming
28980 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Message 10 of 12 (139 Views)