Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 30 2014
By: P4NCH0theD0G First Son 7 posts

PS Vita - PS 4 Remote Play needs Multiple Account Support

[ Edited ]
4 replies 808 views Edited Jan 30, 2014

Now, I know there are mutliple threads about the horrendous decision to marry the Vita to its Memory Card. And even now, two years after release, you STILL have to reformat your PSV just to change profiles.

I see the reasoning (and yet, that same reasoning apparently does NOT apply to the PS3 and the PS4), but with one of the main selling points for the Vita right now being PS4 remote play, I do NOT understand, why you are even unable to switch between the profiles on your PS4!

With remote play, everything is done by and on the PS4, so why am I still locked to my one PSVita profile? One of the main reasons for buying the Vita was PS4 remote play - as in: I want me and my wife be able to use the Vita to play PS4, while the other is busy on the TV (which also happens to be my computer monitor).

The PS4 supports multiple profiles, and since Remote Play on the Vita is really only an extension of the PS4, the Vita should be able during remote play to switch between the registered player profiles on the PS4 it is connected to.

This needs to change, and rapidly, if only for the sake of the PS4.

Please.

Message 1 of 5 (808 Views)
MVP Support
8783 posts

Re: PS Vita - PS 4 Remote Play needs Multiple Account Support

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2014

1.  Your PS4 (or PS3) needs to be set to automatically log into a single, specific account to be able to use Remote Play.

2.  Your PS4 (or PS3) automatically disconnects from the network when you log out of that account (as you need to do to change users).

3.  The PS Vita loses its connection to your PS4 (or PS3) when the PS4 (or PS3) disconnects from the network.

4.  See point 1.

Message 2 of 5 (799 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 30, 2014
So... what's the point here? Besides the point, that your points "1" and "2" are not true.

I want people to consider what a horribly stupid system this is, not being told why, as of right now, it will not work. I know that, as of right now, it does not work. See reason why I made this thread.

You're trying to suggest that it's impossible for Sony to make it work?
Because if I can boot up my PS4 through the network connection in standby, the PS4, that is at this time not logged-in with any account, but simply connected, the same PS4 that, despite NOT being logged into an account can still download updates for any games on its HDD through the PS Network, if all that works without being logged in, how hard would it be to let people choose which account they want to play with? How hard would it be to maintain a connection to PSN or the Vita via WiFi direct and then choose the account you want to use?

Make it password restricted, for all I care, or make it only through Wi-Fi Direct, but this ridiculous restriction severely limits the use of the Vita as a PS4 second screen in a family house-hold.
Message 3 of 5 (777 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8783 posts

Jan 31, 2014

P4NCH0theD0G wrote:
So... what's the point here? Besides the point, that your points "1" and "2" are not true.

I want people to consider what a horribly stupid system this is, not being told why, as of right now, it will not work. I know that, as of right now, it does not work. See reason why I made this thread.

You're trying to suggest that it's impossible for Sony to make it work?
Because if I can boot up my PS4 through the network connection in standby, the PS4, that is at this time not logged-in with any account, but simply connected, the same PS4 that, despite NOT being logged into an account can still download updates for any games on its HDD through the PS Network, if all that works without being logged in, how hard would it be to let people choose which account they want to play with? How hard would it be to maintain a connection to PSN or the Vita via WiFi direct and then choose the account you want to use?

Make it password restricted, for all I care, or make it only through Wi-Fi Direct, but this ridiculous restriction severely limits the use of the Vita as a PS4 second screen in a family house-hold.

Okay, so for local "remote" play, the Vita can wake up the PS4 (via a direct connection) and log in to the same account which is on the Vita. Logging out of the account on the PS4 does terminate the RP connection on the Vita, though.  Yes, I've tried it.

You still need to use the same account on the Vita as you want to log in on the PS4, though.

The PS Vita has a very simplistic OS that is simply not capable of allowing multiple profiles to be saved on the same unit.  It is like a cell phone in this regard (and in fact, the entire Vita is BUILT around cell phone technology).

So yes, I am telling you that it is technologically impossible for the PS Vita to host multiple profiles.  It would require technology that is simply not there yet.

Technically, in stand-by, the PS4 is still 'passively' logged in to your account (or the account which is set to automatically log in when the console is activated from stand-by mode).  Updates do not actually require an account, as those occur direclty between the console architecture and Sony's servers.  Downloads you push to your console remotely (through the Web Store) do require a 'passive' PSN connection with the specific account, otherwise your remote purchase could be pushed to some random stranger's PS4.

This 'ridiculous restriction' is due to hardware limitation.  As I've stated, it is not possible for the Vita's OS to host multiple profiles with the current hardware.  Perhaps the Vita 2 will have this functionality, but I wouldn't count on it.  The Vita does not use Wifi Direct.  It uses a plain old 802.11n wifi connection when connecting directly with the PS4.

Obviously, I don't speak for Sony, only from experience with mobile technology, but what you are asking for simply cannot happen on the current hardware.

Message 4 of 5 (762 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3663 posts

Jan 31, 2014

Just as a heads up, the more recent versions of Google code allow for multiple users on a Google device, totally separate apps and home screens.

That said, still it's not a simple thing for PS Vita to adopt such a software option unless it's tested to work correctly and not muck up the system, or other people's accounts. Maybe they'll allow it, maybe they won't. It's just part of the way it works when you have a handheld that usually IS owned and used by one person.

Tablets being more widespread has brought that share option to mobile things. It could come to PS Vita, but I'm not saying it will or won't, since I have nothing to do with it. :robothappy:

Message 5 of 5 (759 Views)
0 Likes